Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it an open thing or closed?

closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

theflyingorc posted:

Worth pointing out: Most Americans are under the mistaken understanding that "impeachment" means "removal from office".

So like 40% of the public think he should be removed. Not just that he sucks, but that he sucks so bad that we should boot him.

lol this is unquestionably true if you think about it, and thus owns.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

lol DeNiro just yelled "gently caress 'em!" live on CNN and the entire crew had a collective coronary behind the camera.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

eke out posted:

they already know who it is or already have a really good idea in the white house
there are only so many people with subject-matter expertise about Ukraine at the CIA who are detailed to the NSC at any given time
I'm sure a few career people know, but probably not Trump bootlickers. Once congress knows, everybody will.

quote:

the reason to testify is to find out anything else this person might know, and get names of everyone else involved that they need to also depose/subpoena on the record. the person's identity coming out is frankly inevitable
This would be fine if the inquiry were running out of avenues for inquiry, but they're not even close. Let Barr and Guliani testify first. Let them perjure themselves repeatedly. Then bring in the whistleblower to call them on their bullshit, and watch the fireworks.

I mean holy poo poo its difficult to state how bad of a decision is.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I'm sure a few career people know, but probably not Trump bootlickers. Once congress knows, everybody will.

This would be fine if the inquiry were running out of avenues for inquiry, but they're not even close. Let Barr and Guliani testify first. Let them perjure themselves repeatedly. Then bring in the whistleblower to call them on their bullshit, and watch the fireworks.

Every sign points to the whistleblower having a significantly high clearance and probably knows waaaaaay more details than they put in an unclassified report. A closed hearing gives them a chance to share details/dates/names with the House that would otherwise be redacted(either for good or bad reasons).

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Critical posted:

lol DeNiro just yelled "gently caress 'em!" live on CNN and the entire crew had a collective coronary behind the camera.

Did they learn nothing from the Tonys? DeNiro is gonna say gently caress you to Trump in every public forum he gets lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zNr8Pf1QkY

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Retro42 posted:

Every sign points to the whistleblower having a significantly high clearance and probably knows waaaaaay more details than they put in an unclassified report. A closed hearing gives them a chance to share details/dates/names with the House that would otherwise be redacted(either for good or bad reasons).

think we will learn anything from it?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

That Kate McKinnon as Hillary Clinton singing thing done sincerely might be the funniest thing SNL has ever done.
Leonard Cohen has just died and it was way more about Trump winning than it was about Hillary losing, the thing was honestly mourning the death of American democracy more than Hillary Clinton not being president.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Leonard Cohen has just died and it was way more about Trump winning than it was about Hillary losing, the thing was honestly mourning the death of American democracy more than Hillary Clinton not being president.

is this supposed to make it less funny

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

think we will learn anything from it?

Basically the only defense the WH has right now is "it's all secondhand! partisan!", all the investigations need to dispute that is the names/etc of the people who made the actual call memo.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ANIME AKBAR posted:

I think you're confusing the order here, investigators need a foundation as to what happened before Barr and Giuliani should be called, because it is what will allow them to more successfully catch Barr/Giuliani in lies.

having them testify, then having the whistleblower come in for the first time to say "actually Thing A they said didn't happen like that" doesn't give you grounds for perjury, it creates a situation where you need to call the first people back in to clarify their original testimony (and you need to then ask them all they questions you didn't ask them in the first round because you didn't know what you didn't know back then)

this isn't rocket science, it's the basic principle that you should maximize your factual knowledge, and your knowledge of what your witnesses are going to say, before taking what's probably your only shot at the subjects of your investigation

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 29, 2019

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Retro42 posted:

Basically the only defense the WH has right now is "it's all secondhand! partisan!", all the investigations need to dispute that is the names/etc of the people who made the actual call memo.

interesting part is i suspect nunes will leak poo poo in hopes it turns the narrative but being a dumb poo poo rear end in a top hat. it doesn't at all and makes poo poo worse.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theflyingorc posted:

lol

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SNL just needs to avoid politics

Or better yet, they should just stop doing the show

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I wonder if this will end up causing a whole generation of Fed Soc law students to start getting hearsay rules and exceptions wrong if it doesn't help them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

just saw this good, helpful thread about what ways the Senate could possibly sabotage impeachment.

https://twitter.com/MattGlassman312/status/1178325769724018689
https://twitter.com/MattGlassman312/status/1178341611232727041
https://twitter.com/MattGlassman312/status/1178342503680020480

the short of it is, they can't just Garland it and delay indefinitely unless they can get a majority together to change their current rules, which is better than i thought -- no matter what, people like Susan Collins are going to have a bad time.

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 29, 2019

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FlamingLiberal posted:

SNL just needs to avoid politics

Or better yet, they should just stop doing the show

(Stop liking things I don't like meme goes here)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

(Stop liking things I don't like meme goes here)

I legitimately find it hard to believe anyone finds SNL funny at this point.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

eke out posted:

the short of it is, they can't just Garland it and delay indefinitely unless they can get a majority together to change their current rules, which is better than i thought -- no matter what, people like Susan Collins are going to have a bad time.

Oh, that’s good. Everyone will characterize that as the impeachment vote anyway. Unless they do it quick before the issue’s ripe.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Did they learn nothing from the Tonys? DeNiro is gonna say gently caress you to Trump in every public forum he gets lol

It was great because Seltzer was pearl clutching about this and asking him to explain it when he popped off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

eviltastic posted:

Oh, that’s good. Everyone will characterize that as the impeachment vote anyway. Unless they do it quick before the issue’s ripe.

Yeah, the upshot of that thread is that passing the articles of impeachment compels some kind of response from the Senate, a response which will be entered into the permanent record of all senators. It won’t just quietly evaporate due to one person who feels no shame like the Garland nomination.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really is bizarre watching that tapper clip and see an elected politician argue like one of your braindead relatives.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

kidkissinger posted:

Can we just ban mainstream "comedy" and get it over with? Like, there's nothing redeemable in that space anymore, just cut out the social poison already.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kidkissinger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4csRoGP0V8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLHRjaUBb3o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBpvh4y_lU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-D0jc17D0

I mean off the top of my head

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Can we just ban mainstream "comedy" and get it over with? Like, there's nothing redeemable in that space anymore, just cut out the social poison already.

"I can't laugh unless my comedy is bespoke"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

theflyingorc posted:

SNL foreshadowed Trump the King of Israel.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

"I can't laugh unless my comedy is bespoke"

If you're not miserable at all times due to politics? If you ever try to relieve that pain with fantasy or some other kind of painkiller? Then I consider you part of the loving problem.

Comedy distracts and redirects your anger. Don't fall into that trap.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/...ingawful.com%2F

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

Not that I think SNL has the power to sway elections, but it's funny to remember that they did everything they could to help him, from letting him host while slobbering all over him to portraying Hillary as a uniquely dangerous psychotic supervillain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ague Proof posted:

Jr had an event with Kentucky's loathed Republican governor and no one turned up.

Ivanka had a brief thing because she wore a blue shirt with her nipples visible to the UN, which while amusing solely because there's always a tweet*, thankfully went unmentioned in this thread and shouldn't be discussed because it will inevitably turn creepy and sexist.

Eric announced an expansion of Trump's Scottish golf course (and therefore more corruption.)

Melania caught Barron vaping.

* https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/149589104168939520?l

"Melania caught Barron vaping" is my favorite suspiciously plausible unsubstantiated theory

edit: Kerning Chameleon's bit frankly isn't even funny at this point

which is fitting, because we just learned that he hates comedy, amusement, and the laughter of children

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

If you're not miserable at all times due to politics? If you ever try to relieve that pain with fantasy or some other kind of painkiller? Then I consider you part of the loving problem.

Yikes, man.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Is this why you ensure that all of your posts are unfunny and miserable to read?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Is this why you ensure that all of your posts are unfunny and miserable to read?

gotta respect brand synergy i guess

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Rosalind posted:

Definitely here for "so old he gives no fucks anymore" DeNiro.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Kerning Chameleon is such caricature of a communist that I sometimes wonder if they are an actual person or a troll meant to make communists look bad.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I enjoyed this thread so much more when you were probated for a month...

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1178314776088330240?s=21

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

More like...Kerning Calvinist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

The Glumslinger posted:

It explains a lot.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

VH4Ever posted:

Definitely here for "so old he gives no fucks anymore" DeNiro.

Don’t think I saw a link yet?

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1178337433403813890?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

is this supposed to make it less funny

"What happened to the American dream!?"

"It came true."