Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Thought it said "George Oh Well" which would be a great forum name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Sextro posted:

Specifically referencing their 3rd party Nespresso pods. Also the entire supply chain probably needs to pay more for coffee.

What are the best ways of knowing that coffee growers are earning a fair wage for the product you're buying?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sextro posted:

Specifically referencing their 3rd party Nespresso pods. Also the entire supply chain probably needs to pay more for coffee.

Yes, coffee should be across the board a bit more fairly priced. Double price is absurd, however.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

What are the best ways of knowing that coffee growers are earning a fair wage for the product you're buying?

Fair trade certified is usually a safe bet, bit more work ask who was the importer and you can easily find out if they are buying green at a reasonable price.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have a obsessive espresso setup planned but it requires some significant space in the kitchen and saving for the divorce when my wife figures out how much the stuff costs. (The poster with the Lyn Weber grinder, would be very curious how you like it. I was looking at it and the other usual suspects in that range)

This being said, until that’s ready to go I drink drip and aeropress with my encore grinder. Aeropress is a weekend thing and I’m mostly happy with it. Machine is during the week. It’s a Hamilton Beach machine. Is something like the MoccaMaster a worthy upgrade?

I’m not really looking to upgrade my grinder as the next one I want is a single dose espresso grinder but if that’s really the next step for drip and it’s around the price of the Mocca, I’d take recommendations as well.

I like medium / lighter roasts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hmm you know what sucks? Your kitchen scale breaking.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

sellouts posted:

I have a obsessive espresso setup planned but it requires some significant space in the kitchen and saving for the divorce when my wife figures out how much the stuff costs. (The poster with the Lyn Weber grinder, would be very curious how you like it. I was looking at it and the other usual suspects in that range)

This being said, until that’s ready to go I drink drip and aeropress with my encore grinder. Aeropress is a weekend thing and I’m mostly happy with it. Machine is during the week. It’s a Hamilton Beach machine. Is something like the MoccaMaster a worthy upgrade?

I’m not really looking to upgrade my grinder as the next one I want is a single dose espresso grinder but if that’s really the next step for drip and it’s around the price of the Mocca, I’d take recommendations as well.

I like medium / lighter roasts.

Especially knowing that you like medium/light roasts I think you would enjoy an EG1. I have no complaints with it aside from a bean or two getting stuck above the burrs that gets caught when making a setting adjustment coarser. Aside from that, it has been very user friendly, absolutely no issues, and has put out some fantastic espresso. I really enjoy not having to wonder about alignment as it takes about 7 seconds to remove the burr casing and check with my fingers, and along that same point it's very easy to clean too. I really did want to hold out for the next run of Monolith Flats that look like they're gonna be up for preorder here soon but with a La Marzocco waiting to have coffee put through it I couldn't wait.

I also have the TV Moccamaster and I think that is an incredible purchase myself. I worked with an Encore, then a Virtuoso for years with the Moccamaster and it paired very well, for what it's worth.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thanks so much!

I’m obsessed with Otomesando / Coffee Mameya so that’s what I want to duplicate. That is perfection in espresso, milk drinks and pour over. Thus, I’ve really been pining for an ek43s but it’s expensive and large. And I’m not going to get a strada (pretty settled on a Decent Espresso Pro machine) so I won’t be duplicating it exactly anyways.

I’m also considering the Monolith flat Max and I will likely try for a preorder because I know I can sell it for a profit if I decide to not go down that road.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 16, 2019

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can I get a video or extremely detailed guide on how to do a Chemex? I’ve got a great grinder, a scale, exact water temperature control, etc, but I’m not quite there. It’s still a bit overextracted, even after playing with ratios and pouring speeds. The only thing I’m not using is a gooseneck kettle, but I’m using a measuring cup with a pouring spout, though I don’t think that’s what’s breaking me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can I get a video or extremely detailed guide on how to do a Chemex? I’ve got a great grinder, a scale, exact water temperature control, etc, but I’m not quite there. It’s still a bit overextracted, even after playing with ratios and pouring speeds. The only thing I’m not using is a gooseneck kettle, but I’m using a measuring cup with a pouring spout, though I don’t think that’s what’s breaking me.

Overextracted? Go for a coarser grind.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

If you're overly sensitive to the flavors of over extracted coffee a chemex might never really be a perfect fit for you. It's just the nature of the brew. The shape and thickness of the filter guarantees that whatever percentage of the coffee ends up in the bottom of that cone will get significantly more extracted than the grounds further up+out from the spout at the bottom.

Look into techniques/Brew recipes that call for stirring or swirling maybe.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I went to the Starbucks Reserve in Seattle today. Say what you will about Starbucks coffee this place was awesome and the coffees were delicious.

https://imgur.com/a/udkUVyB

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I went to the Starbucks Reserve in Seattle today. Say what you will about Starbucks coffee this place was awesome and the coffees were delicious.

https://imgur.com/a/udkUVyB

I went there the year it opened and yeah, that place is cool as gently caress. I spent a good 20 minutes talking with one of the roasters there and he was super friendly and really knowledgeable. I think he liked chatting with a home roasted so he was willing to chat a bit. I did a coffee flight there of the same bean brewed three ways and it was pretty well done and a cool thing to try.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Behmor has replacement drums and trays available again. It's been more than a year it seems.

My 2012 versions disintegrated and I ended up having to buy a new 1600 Plus last year instead of getting the replacement bits. :argh:

I actually like the older one without the annoying babysitter feature better.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 20, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hi coffee thread, I'm a loser who likes to make a big old pot of coffee in the morning. My $15 Mr Coffee drip machine gave up the ghost this morning (produces no heat at all) and I've been meaning to upgrade. What's a decent drip option under $100? I'm a fan of Zojirushi so I got excited when I saw one mentioned in the second post of the thread... but they seem to be discontinued.

Edit: I made percolator coffee after discovering the coffee machine is dead... it's actually not that bad but it's a pain in the rear end.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 20, 2019

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

Go through these and see what's in your budget. I think the bonavitas are around that price and the oxo. I think the oxo has issues with leaking from the basket but it may be fixed.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Hi coffee thread, I'm a loser who likes to make a big old pot of coffee in the morning. My $15 Mr Coffee drip machine gave up the ghost this morning (produces no heat at all) and I've been meaning to upgrade. What's a decent drip option under $100? I'm a fan of Zojirushi so I got excited when I saw one mentioned in the second post of the thread... but they seem to be discontinued.

Edit: I made percolator coffee after discovering the coffee machine is dead... it's actually not that bad but it's a pain in the rear end.

Zoj upgraded that model but it's a bit > $100 iirc. You can find both on eBay and some simpler models for your price range.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

I’ve got a great grinder, a scale, exact water temperature control, etc, but I’m not quite there. It’s still a bit overextracted, even after playing with ratios and pouring speeds.
Try playing with courser grind and lower temperatures. Also keep in mind that not all beans are great for pourover. Try something like lightly roasted Kenyan, Ecuadorian or Nicaraguan beans - those usually take well to longer extraction.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Keyser_Soze posted:

Behmor has replacement drums and trays available again. It's been more than a year it seems.

My 2012 versions disintegrated and I ended up having to buy a new 1600 Plus last year instead of getting the replacement bits. :argh:

I actually like the older one without the annoying babysitter feature better.

Said like someone who never set any beans on fire.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

porktree posted:

Lmao. Smoke on the water. Fire in the sky.

They were looking at someone suing the britches off them if they didn't add that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm looking for a replacement coffee brewing timer. I was using Intelligentsia's app which was perfect but I guess its no longer available in the app store. A simple timer that allows me to change the style of brew along with yield and does all the calculations is all I really crave

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

porktree posted:

I sell coffee and coffee accessories

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

porktree posted:

I'm usually sitting 2 feet away but not continually staring at the timer. At least have the thing beep beep beep for 30-60 seconds prior to shutdown mode. :colbert:

I think it would be easier to set a fire using this feature as for me it usually shuts down at 9 minutes remaining and then I reset it to a batch at 12 minutes and then press the dumb lower time button about 30 times to get it back down to 8. And then of course it shuts off again at 4 minutes if I am not staring at the screen and pressing buttons. If someone just reset it again at 18 by accident and walked away, there could be a meltdown regardless of the safety kicking in again at 9.

I had a good routine with 6+ years on the old roaster. Throw in 1lb, set it at 19 minutes, and it was usually perfect and never scorched. I'm usually near the machine and in the garage etc so I know if something's wrong I just don't want to have to set another phone timer or something to remind me to go stare at the screen and press buttons.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 21, 2019

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For anyone doing home roasting with an actual roaster (not heat gun method or popcorn maker-but something like a behmor), do you have consistency in the beans and the roast itself?

I ask because I’ve been using a modified popcorn air popper and I sometimes get a few beans that don’t reach first crack yet when the majority of the beans are approaching/at second crack.

I’m looking for something that will be more uniform. I normally do about 100g/roast.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Depends on the bean but yeah I've had much better luck with the behmor 1600 plus, though I don't think you need to roast a pound at a time eh?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Depends on the bean but yeah I've had much better luck with the behmor 1600 plus, though I don't think you need to roast a pound at a time eh?

No definitely not. A half pound at a time would be nice though. Not $400 nice though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Definitely, it's an investment for sure. I had to talk myself into it even with gift cards. Don't regret it though

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, pleb coffee question. I picked up some french roast whole bean on sale (it was the only whole bean available, actually). I grind daily and use a Melita pour over, water between 190-195 (kettle isn't super accurate, but whatever). The coffee has a really plastiky taste, like old coffee grounds being re-used, even when fresh. I've washed all my equipment. Should I be brewing at an even lower temp, or are the beans just on sale for a reason? I'm not seeking perfection, just less lovely coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When was it roasted? If it doesn't have a date then it's probably rear end. Also french roast generally means "roasted to hell to cover up the bad beans and filler."

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

In my experience, dark roast always needs higher temperature, finer grind and more pressure to taste good.
I usually bring out the moka pot and grind fine enough so that the vent goes off at the end of the brew. I've also gotten some good cups with fine grind and double filter on the aeropress, brewing it thick (1:6 ratio) and then diluting with water.
The sensible option though is to use an espresso machine...

Edit: Also, darker roasts have less mass and are usually made from worse beans, so don't hesitate to just use more coffee

Oromo fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 28, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oromo posted:

In my experience, dark roast always needs higher temperature, finer grind and more pressure to taste good.
I usually bring out the moka pot and grind fine enough so that the vent goes off at the end of the brew. I've also gotten some good cups with fine grind and double filter on the aeropress, brewing it thick (1:6 ratio) and then diluting with water.

Edit: Also, darker roasts have less mass and are usually made from worse beans, so don't hesitate to just use more coffee

Used more coffee, blitzed it hella fine, and brewed it a bit hotter. Tasted much better this morning, thanks! Now I can get through the bag faster. It's Starbucks beans, I thought I was getting a decent deal on the sale, even though I knew about their tendency to burn stuff beyond recognition.

This bag of coffee has convinced me to go to the local coffee shop and pick up good local roasted beans. I spend a good five minutes of my morning making coffee every day, it should at least be good.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suspect Bucket posted:

Used more coffee, blitzed it hella fine, and brewed it a bit hotter. Tasted much better this morning, thanks! Now I can get through the bag faster. It's Starbucks beans, I thought I was getting a decent deal on the sale, even though I knew about their tendency to burn stuff beyond recognition.

This bag of coffee has convinced me to go to the local coffee shop and pick up good local roasted beans. I spend a good five minutes of my morning making coffee every day, it should at least be good.

I’m afraid to know what a french roast from Starbucks is when their standard house blend Pike’s Peak or whatever it’s called is drat near a french roast already.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rockcity posted:

I’m afraid to know what a french roast from Starbucks is when their standard house blend Pike’s Peak or whatever it’s called is drat near a french roast already.

Charcoal

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When they had a "blonde roast" option was the only time you could get something from Starbucks that didn't taste like charcoal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
A few of their speciality shops have Yirgacheffe

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

One of the Starbucks here still has those $20,000 clover machines and it's funny because it just tastes like normal brewed coffee with lovely beans.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
If your starbucks drink isn't over 50% corn-based syrups then you are doing it wrong.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh yeah they have good milkshakes but I was curious about the expensive machine

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Oromo posted:

Generally you want a darker roast brewed cooler, on a coarser grind, especially for a pour over. I'm not a fan of dark roasts in pour over though. The flavors are more easily extracted then light roast, thus if you go to the highest temperature range you start to overextract, same with the fineness of grind. IMO, save the finer grind/hotter water for lighter roasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

withak posted:

When they had a "blonde roast" option was the only time you could get something from Starbucks that didn't taste like charcoal.

They still have it. I think they call it Veranda Blend now.