Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol who gives a poo poo what al snow thinks, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol who gives a poo poo what al snow thinks, ever

Finally vindicated after 20 years of thinking he sucks

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The whole underlying old school carny contempt for fans is one of the things I really dislike about American wrestling. Lucha libre and puroresu don't have as much of it which is very refreshing. AEW seems to also be getting away from it too which is a step in the right direction..

There's no logical reason to treat your customers like poo poo if you want them to give you money. Sure there's assholes out there but you just ignore them.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1178310389123211264

lol

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
it concerns me that people watch Al Snow's shoots and think he knows what the gently caress he's talking about

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pinche Rudo posted:

The whole underlying old school carny contempt for fans is one of the things I really dislike about American wrestling. Lucha libre and puroresu don't have as much of it which is very refreshing. AEW seems to also be getting away from it too which is a step in the right direction..

There's no logical reason to treat your customers like poo poo if you want them to give you money. Sure there's assholes out there but you just ignore them.

I think it comes from the fact that I'm the past, they wanted you to think it was a legit fight. And you have to be kind of stupid to think that, if you've ever seen a fight or been in one or even ever seen what a bruise or a black eye looks like. They even use the word mark, which is what conmen call their victims. So there's a contempt built in to the old concept of kayfabe. Its surprising that it's taking so long to die, though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmfao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kind of wanna see his answer, or at least get the cliffs notes

Part of me thinks watching Al Snow shoots would be a funny use of PSP-TV, but it'd probably get sad after a while, Snow comes off mighty bitter

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
al snow might be the most huh wrestler to me. i mean what would be his insight? be friend of mick foley, get over with an attitude era gimmick and then dissapear forever?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean at one point Al Snow was fairly good in the ring - it's just that at no point in his career outside of a very short window where people had fun chanting HEAD at him nobody ever gave a poo poo about him.

Just like Hugh Morris. poo poo gimmick, alright in the ring and would never draw a dime but somehow ended up a trainer so that he could abuse people for years. If I signed up somewhere and they told me I would be trained by fuckin' Al Snow or Bill Demott I would immediately bounce from there because who gives a poo poo what a couple career jobbers have to say?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DoctorGonzo posted:

al snow might be the most huh wrestler to me. i mean what would be his insight? be friend of mick foley, get over with an attitude era gimmick and then dissapear forever?

He worked for the NWA, ECW, WWE and OVW in various capacities. He helped train Dan Severn for pro wrestling. He was a coach on Tough Enough. He's been in the business for like 30+ years. He's seen some poo poo, and while I vehemently disagree with his very narrow view of wrestling, I think it's weird to dismiss him wholly because he wasn't the world champ or anything.

I don't necessarily think you have to be a megastar to have insights in the business. In fact, I think sometimes if you achieve a certain level of stardom, your view of the business gets a bit distorted, because you've been so far removed the underneath. Kinda like how rich folk have no loving idea what it's like to be poor in a lot of cases, but on a much smaller level.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Just like Hugh Morris. poo poo gimmick, alright in the ring and would never draw a dime but somehow ended up a trainer so that he could abuse people for years. If I signed up somewhere and they told me I would be trained by fuckin' Al Snow or Bill Demott I would immediately bounce from there because who gives a poo poo what a couple career jobbers have to say?

Great and/or super successful wrestlers don't always make great trainers, Bryan Danielson regards his time as ROH's trainer as a total failure because he didn't understand how to impart his knowledge to people.

Conversely, Mikey Whipwreck is a really good trainer, and while Mikey was pretty good, he's no Danielson. Larry Sharpe was a jobber but trained a fair amount of notable names, like Big Show, Bam Bam Bigelow, D' Lo Brown, Chris Candido, Sheamus, and Raven.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 29, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Kill Kevin Dunn

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

You make good points there EGG but it's still tough to get over the fact that it's Al Snow you're trusting your future with

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

The early internet wrestling crowd loved Al Snow, it's wild to see how opinions have shifted over 20 years

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He worked for the NWA, ECW, WWE and OVW in various capacities. He helped train Dan Severn for pro wrestling. He was a coach on Tough Enough. He's been in the business for like 30+ years. He's seen some poo poo, and while I vehemently disagree with his very narrow view of wrestling, I think it's weird to dismiss him wholly because he wasn't the world champ or anything.

I don't necessarily think you have to be a megastar to have insights in the business. In fact, I think sometimes if you achieve a certain level of stardom, your view of the business gets a bit distorted, because you've been so far removed the underneath. Kinda like how rich folk have no loving idea what it's like to be poor in a lot of cases, but on a much smaller level.

i dismiss him because he loving sucks

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

i dismiss him because he loving sucks

First time I've agreed with you in a while or maybe ever

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Snowplow was a cool move

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If I wanted to prove that hardcore fans have never known poo poo it's that they would have looked at and listened to Al Snow, Sid, and Sting and gone 'Al Snow is far and away the best'.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Id legit take Wrestling advice from Scott Steiner

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You make good points there EGG but it's still tough to get over the fact that it's Al Snow you're trusting your future with

I get that but ultimately a trainer is there to teach you fundamentals, which Snow has a fine grasp of, and maybe basic industry etiquette which Snow would know just based on his time with WWE, since WWE is strongly insistent on all the dumb old school poo poo that basically exists to placate old vets who don't like young guys because their knees still work.

Keep in mind that I'm not convinced Snow's a great trainer or anything, but Al often had to make chicken salad out of chicken poo poo because of WWE's weird idea of how to build a wrestler from the ground up (i.e. Find good looking people and hope they have athleticism and don't bail on the company if they get mainstream pub) works. It doesn't help that Kevin Dunn and John Gaburick had a big hand in Tough Enough, and both of those guys are loving idiots.

I mean, all told, I'd rather learn from Lance Storm or Chris Hero. But in a business where Beau James and Van Hammer have had a hand in training people, Al's not even close to the worst choice.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Woah who did Van Hammer train

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Woah who did Van Hammer train

He helped the Briscoes by providing a ring and teaching them some basic poo poo, the Briscoes are sorta close to self taught but they've given him some credit in interviews

There used to be a clip on Youtube, I think from one of the Wrestling Road Diaries, of Cabana pranking the Briscoes by calling them pretending to be Van Hammer and demanding a cut of their earnings

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigrichinnes/status/1178207258368446464?s=20

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

It's that just someone using the name and location or is that actually the real Neville Southall?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Snowplow was a cool move

Which joshi did he steal it from again?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I believe it was a less head droppy version of Misawa's Emerald Flowsion

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

https://twitter.com/kvr216/status/974888188929085440

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

yeah it was just the northern lights bomb that her and Sasaki used

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/superhumman1234/status/1178371609662558209

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Kind of wanna see his answer, or at least get the cliffs notes

Part of me thinks watching Al Snow shoots would be a funny use of PSP-TV, but it'd probably get sad after a while, Snow comes off mighty bitter

Apparently his answer to the question about him never having had a good match is something to the effect of "well, I've had a 30+ year career so obviously I've done something good".

I've watched some of Al Snow's shoot interviews and lectures on pro wrestling basics, and he just comes off as slightly delusional about his own place in pro wrestling history, somewhat bitter and very annoying. His usual method of "ask question, get [any answer whatsoever that isn't the extremely specific one Snow has in mind], get lovely and condescending about it" gets really old, really fast. Good thing he's not working in education because he seems like he would be an awful teacher. No idea about his actual pro wrestling teaching, obviously. Never heard anyone boast about being trained by Al Snow, though, so...

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Holy gently caress, the hangtime Janela gets compared to Humman is super obvious and kind of owns.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Nice of Super Humman to give some exposure to a wrestler with only half as many twitter followers

https://twitter.com/_stardestroyer/status/1178387871989981185?s=21

Don Julio is trash so that’s cool

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 29, 2019

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
al snow has some decent common sense takes on pro wrestling and I agree with a lot of his points but the "THIS is how you do it, MARKS" way he presents the information is tremendously irritating. lance storm is the best guy to listen to if you actually want to learn more about working a match.

and he also has dumbfuck takes like "if the crowd pops for your entrance you should turn around and walk back through the curtain because they won't get any higher" which is just hilarious, I assume it's because he didn't get the same entrance pops his peers did and he had to come up with a reason why it was actually good

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Al strikes me as a guy who undercuts every good point and insight he has by being incredibly bitter that he didn't get things that people "worse than him" got.

It can't just be the inherent luck that goes into whether something takes off, it must be those goddamn MARKS' fault

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Al Snow, hung out at OVW along with noted crazy person Rip Rogers. Major libertarian dickweed.

Van Hammer, absolutely instrumental for the east coast indies boom after WWF bought off all the local commissions and priced out promoters licenses. Also kind of a weird dick.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

Snowplow was a cool move

It was my go-to CAW finisher for the early Smackdown games

Al Snow was considered a really hot prospect/Indy darling in the early-mid 90s for whatever that meant at the time and he was a really capable worker but he was fine falling into an easy gimmick that got a mannequin head more over than he ever was and then he just stopped doing stuff. His peak was his entrance in the late 90s and people chanting that they wanted head. The only WWE match people remember him for is the kennel match with Big Boss Man and that’s for how awful it was, he literally had no impact on pro wrestling in a meaningful sense that I can think of.

I liked Headcheese

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The best argument I can make on his behalf is that he was a perfect fit for the edgy 1-note characters they needed to fill out the midcard of the attitude era and he played the role fine. He was good as part of the ensemble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

no one remembers the banger he had against Slaughter and that’s shameful