Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Covok posted:

I still find it amazing they have the utter audacity to sell the trades in two volumes. It's like "Doomsday Clock Volume 1: 6 issues of don't worry, things will ACTUALLY HAPPEN in part 2."

If they didn’t split it up there wouldn’t have been a collection till well into next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't worry, there will be a complete collection once the half collections sell through.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Soonmot posted:

Haha, you're joking, that's not a thing right? I haven't watched any previews

That's for Doomday Clock.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gripweed posted:

I might give it a try, how much is the sexy clown sidekick in it?

Mime and Marionette are in it quite a bit, and while they are decent characters that have no discernible purpose in the story.

The Comedian is barely in the story at all, and given how stupid and pointless his inclusion is it's clear he is only there because people have heard of him.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
anyone reading the new (lol) chris ware book?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

luxury handset posted:

anyone reading the new (lol) chris ware book?

Do you mean Rusty Brown? I ordered the new book but I'm pretty sure I have all the Acme books where it comes from.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Zachack posted:

Do you mean Rusty Brown? I ordered the new book but I'm pretty sure I have all the Acme books where it comes from.

the last 25% of the book is brand new material

the first quarter of the book is parts 1/2 of the previous rusty brown, corresponding to acme books 16 and 17

the second quarter is the whole william brown/mars story, from acme 19

the third quarter is jordan lint, from acme 20

the fourth quarter is joanne cole, which is previously unpublished

also for the prior stuff i noticed some slight edits. i didn't reread william brown but there are a few extra pages in jordan lint

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Speaking of Ware, he's a huge gap in my comic knowledge. I've always found his stuff in anthologies okay, but found his layouts not intuitive to scan and the characters all various sad sacks.

He's a huge name in comics and I love Clowes and other Fantagraphics 'artiste' comics guys, so am I really missing out on not reading Ware? Where should I get started if I want to get a decent idea of what he's about?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I would say Jimmy Corrigan collection is pretty approachable, for given values of approachable.

But... you might just hate it. For all of the interesting layout things Ware does what he succeeds at is portraying devestating stories of ennui, inertia, stagnation, and hopelessness.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nothing to see here, this was the wrong thread to ask.

IUG fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 29, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I am desperately trying to track down the out-of-print Marvel Premiere Classic hardcover called X-Force: A Force to be Reckoned With (for a gift). It collects New Mutants #98-100 and X-Force #1-4, so you can guess why it is proving difficult to find for a fair price.

Does anyone have a good copy they would sell, or a local shop that still has it at cover price?

Just bumping this, in case anyone has one or has seen out out in the wild recently.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just bumping this, in case anyone has one or has seen out out in the wild recently.

I just put it in my list of comics for Wednesday so I can remember to look for it at my shop.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

A Strange Aeon posted:

He's a huge name in comics and I love Clowes and other Fantagraphics 'artiste' comics guys, so am I really missing out on not reading Ware? Where should I get started if I want to get a decent idea of what he's about?

building stories might be his least depressing work. ware is a pioneer in many ways but your description here

quote:

his layouts not intuitive to scan and the characters all various sad sacks.

is a pretty good handle on what ware is about already. his layouts are innovative, he digs into the dark, sad sides of his characters and he's fantastic at communicating subtle tones of inner emotional state with art alone. but his work is like raw vinegar in terms of just being sad as hell and hard to swallow so if you bounce off his work based on the sourness of it all then i dont think you're missing out. he's a genius for sure but don't force yourself to read his stuff if it gives you a migrane, he is legit challenging and not in a pretentious way (in his new work though he does self-insert himself as a pompous pseudointellectual rear end in a top hat)

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I don't recall Quimby the Mouse being depressing, although it's been a long time since I read it, and the layout madness goes into overdrive as it sorta... reflects(?) Crazy & Ignatz, or possibly Kim Dietch.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1178748263652085761?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just want some writer who will piss all over the fascist elements of Warhammer 40k. Which was the originally intent, according to my friend, but then actual fascist latched onto it and took over the fandom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DnA wrote some pretty good WH comics about 10 years ago. It would be neat if they could patch things up and work on this project.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Look at you fools who don't know about Deff Skwadron

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have no basis for saying so other than just a feeling but i think tini howard would like to do a 40k book

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/kierongillen/status/1178725560714956805

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Skaven vs Moloids!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Anyone know where to buy a Spider-Man top that's decent quality and doesn't have any padding or drawn on muscles? I wanna be the older, chubby Spider-Man from Spiderverse because it's the superhero I have the build for, but all I can find are really cheap t-shirts and full costumes that are designed to make it look like you have pecs and a six pack.

Willing to buy a full costume if it's not too expensive, but the no built in six pack thing is hard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look for workout shirts. I have a Captain America one designed like his stealth suit fro Winter Soldier.

Edit: like this!

GYm GaLa Men's Compression Sports Fitness Shirt, Spider-Man Long Sleeve Classic Logo T-Shirt (S, Red and Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G63ZNWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.J9KDbD2XXWC3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh man I have slimmed down enough to shlubby Spider-Man!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'll be wandering NYCC as the world's first Mokap cosplayer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Look for workout shirts. I have a Captain America one designed like his stealth suit fro Winter Soldier.

Edit: like this!

GYm GaLa Men's Compression Sports Fitness Shirt, Spider-Man Long Sleeve Classic Logo T-Shirt (S, Red and Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G63ZNWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.J9KDbD2XXWC3

Awesome thanks, that looks perfect and reasonably priced.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Awesome thanks, that looks perfect and reasonably priced.

It's just for a costume right? I've found that longterm workout use has not been kind to them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's just for a costume right? I've found that longterm workout use has not been kind to them.

Yeah, I don't want to get in shape, that'd ruin the costume.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I don't want to get in shape, that'd ruin the costume.

Heh, right on man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm not sure where to put this, but I needed to share it with everyone.

https://twitter.com/WIFEGUTS/status/1180323526626152448?s=20

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The fictional world described in that comic is basically the movie Shakes the Clown, though it doesn't explore Rodeo Clown and mime discrimination like Shakes does. Can't give everything away in the Craigslist ad, I guess.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dammit! I was going to use that name for my Mighty Mighty Bosstones/Avengers crossover!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/status/1180818810368122882?s=19

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sampere_art/status/1180108633297899520?s=20

https://twitter.com/MutantMusings/status/1180251315714297856?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chip Zdarsky took over that jerk Ryan Stegman's podcast.

https://stegmanandfriends.podbean.com/e/chip-z-and-his-rolodex/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/JosephPIllidge/status/1181694050950365184?s=19

Genuinely and non ironically looking forward to when there's 22 films in the "John Allison Cinematic Universe."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Skwirl posted:

Genuinely and non ironically looking forward to when there's 22 films in the "John Allison Cinematic Universe."

"Giant Days: Orientaton"

"Giant Days 2: Midterms."

"Giant Days: Final Exams."

"Giant Days: Summer Courses."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Skwirl posted:

Superhero comics don't need to sell well, they just need to keep being a pool of plotlines and characters to make movies out of.

quote:

kid-oriented comics and graphic novels account for a whopping 41% of sell-through at bookstores; manga is 28%. Superhero content is less than 10%

hell yeah manga