Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Junkrat is thankfully just slightly weirder talent-wise. I like it. I was worried he was completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Most of the heroes were more fun to play like 2 years ago and that sucks

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Grimdude posted:

I heard they broke Whitemane like they did with Tyrande. Now they both suck at healing AND damage.

I used to really like Tyrande too, even before her W was broken for a while.

Tyrande is still one of the top healers though.

Whitemane got multiple nerfs so it's not like she's suddenly bad, she was already a little rough.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Grimdude posted:

I heard they broke Whitemane like they did with Tyrande.

If by "broken" you mean the "why would you use anything else" kind of broken, yeah.

The issue with Whitemane's rework is that she pretty much only has one build now and that feels like chewing glass if you happened to be a Whitemane player before the rework because at that time she had three or four.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Well what's the one build

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Maybe different in ranked but I've actually seen, not an exaggeration, 0 Tyrandes in maybe a month at least? Even the few ranked ones I didn't see her.

If she's busted apparently nobody knows or cares to play her anyway.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
This game is often clunky and weird, but there is some level of pure joy of playing a game as Butcher against a bad Murky that is pure nirvana

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

the yellow dart posted:

This game is often clunky and weird, but there is some level of pure joy of playing a game as Butcher against a bad Murky that is pure nirvana

Ugh, I was on the other side of one of those earlier. My team's Murky died 21 times total over the course of the match, and Butcher had his quest done very, very quickly. We did not win.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Well what's the one build

Level 1: Pity the Frail
Level 4: Unwavering Faith
Level 7: Scarlet Wrath
Level 10: Whatever
Level 13: Saintly Greatstaff
Level 16: lol who cares
Level 20: Fanatical Power

Just beat the poo poo out of people with a stick - it's really, really, really effective. You don't really come online until you hit Level 13, but once you do you'll hit 90k to 100k healing in a match easily.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Two of the stompiest games I have ever been in were me as Nova and having a good Butcher on my side. I would initiate and get them low and then butcher would charge and finish them off. Both games ended well before the 20 minute mark with the butchers having 30+ kills.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

Losing badly against a Butcher always sucks because you know that he's a poo poo hero and he's probably just feeding off of some lovely teammate. It's like when you're off in your lane and you see Medivh/Kael get their quest in like 4 minutes and you go "Come on guys."

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Alternatively, when you have a Butcher on your team who has 30 meat 15 minutes in, and you realize that at this point the Murky is actively hunting him. Fun times!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I immediately start groaning if I see a butcher on either team because either they get shut down and the game is largely a 5v4 or they pull off meatquest and they just delete a player or two as soon as a teamfight starts. Butcher just makes matches less fun.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Adding that quest to Butcher was the worst thing they ever did to him.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
How did Butcher use to work? He still had the meat but no quest?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think you had to collect enough meat to stop losing it on death. And then it stopped stacking extra unless you picked the (usually bad) talent that lets you keep stacking off hero kills. I don't think it was that different from what it is now, I don't remember if he still got the attack speed bonus upon "quest completion". I want to say no?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I looked it up on heroes patch notes. There used to be no quest and each meat you ate increased attack damage by 1%, max of 25%, and it all disappeared on death.

His AA damage was also natively 20% higher or so but it still seems much weaker than the current version.

This was changed to the first quest version in fall of 2016.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The spotlight video doesn’t delve into talents, but puts it like this: One stack for minions, three stacks for heroes. Every stack increases attack damage, all stacks are lost upon death.

e;f,b

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played around a bit with the Junkrat reword last night. I'm a fan so far, I feel the new talents help to vary up his gameplay quite a bit. I was taking the talent that increases attack damage for 6 seconds after hitting an enemy with a trap or mine, as well as the one that reduces landmine CD if you land the explosion.

Trapping an enemy, hitting them with a mine, instant CD so you hit them with another mine, you can pretty easily get 10-20 seconds of damage buff if you're landing all your stuff. He's definitely way more capable of burst damage than he ever was before.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Butcher also had a a talent called Abattoir that kept you from losing any of your meat and it was drat-near mandatory. Instead of cutting it because it was too strong and went against the core concept of Butcher's back-and-forth damage bonus, they kept it as part of the original rework and then made it baseline as part of the adjustments afterwards.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Blizzard are bad at balancing games

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Moola posted:

Blizzard are bad at balancing games

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed the game expects you to win 50 league games to be eligible for end of season rewards? That seems pretty high. Used to be you just had to get a rank. :/

Oh, estimated wait at this time of day 10 minutes. Okay back to qm, nevermind.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yeah I saw that requirement and went like gently caress that, no ranked for me under these conditions.

Maybe their goal was eliminating people like me from ranked, in which case mission accomplished.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

I just noticed the game expects you to win 50 league games to be eligible for end of season rewards? That seems pretty high. Used to be you just had to get a rank. :/

Oh, estimated wait at this time of day 10 minutes. Okay back to qm, nevermind.
more evidence the devs are actively trying to kill the game so they get assigned somewhere better

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I thought we still had 2 months left to get games in: https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23013883/2019-season-3-changes-and-updates

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I dunno the people who are "masters" who play no games and just ride a placement from years ago is kinda annoying.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress all these goddamn "in winnings games" quests for this event. Id rather not have to live in AI for 2 months.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

banned from Starbucks posted:

gently caress all these goddamn "in winnings games" quests for this event. Id rather not have to live in AI for 2 months.

Good thing that it only takes about a week to grind it out in AI, less than that if you do more than two event quests per day.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

hardest one is playing "x" games with a friend :smith:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Paranoid Peanut posted:

Go into General Chat and say something like "lfg vs AI friend quest". You could also try Quick Match, but then you risk getting someone who tilts after one match, whereas your new vs AI friend will stay completely silent while you grind out those wins.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Mierenneuker posted:

Go into General Chat and say something like "lfg vs AI friend quest". You could also try Quick Match, but then you risk getting someone who tilts after one match, whereas your new vs AI friend will stay completely silent while you grind out those wins.

As long as you win.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Paranoid Peanut posted:

This used to be easy but everyone I know quit this game hard

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It's really a shame that LoL and DotA are so ridiculously complicated and have huge learning curves. I'd rather play a more populated game but gently caress having to learn how like a hundred heroes work, plus items, timings, etc.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Last hitting alone is enough reason for me to give up on the genre once I realized Blizzard had basically given up on HOTS and their was not enough players to have balanced games. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this game badly it could have been such a smash hit.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

Aaod posted:

Last hitting alone is enough reason for me to give up on the genre once I realized Blizzard had basically given up on HOTS and their was not enough players to have balanced games. Blizzard really dropped the ball on this game badly it could have been such a smash hit.

Last hitting and the very restrictive (relatively) comps are what makes changing game impossible. Hots is the only MOBA I can stomach, and I still do. It's a very interesting blend of tactics, strategy and mechanical skill I don't get anywhere else.
I really sincerely something in the same vein pops up after this one is dead and gone.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Grimdude posted:

It's really a shame that LoL and DotA are so ridiculously complicated and have huge learning curves. I'd rather play a more populated game but gently caress having to learn how like a hundred heroes work, plus items, timings, etc.
I recently tried to get into TFT and was really frustrated by how I had to learn to identify 100 low poly characters on sight just to start playing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It took me 10 games but I got it. Felt weird playing an autochess that wasn't based on Warcraft 3 characters. Ok I still get confused on some of the ninjas and a few of the little gnomes but I made it, it felt kind of fun to be totally lost.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Aaod posted:

I don't agree with this completely. The only places where I would argue the ball was dropped were introducing those damnable lootboxes to pad Bobby K's savings account (I directly bought skins I liked on occasion then gave up putting money into the game after the lootboxes were introduced), and then dropping support for the pro leagues because maintaining them would have meant BK would have to buy one less yacht a year.

The bigger factors working against it, in my estimation, were people wedding their personal identity to slavish imitation of the War3 engine's quirks and also misinformation. About the former, the Dota and LOL crowd HATED this game for daring to refine the MOBA formula with even things as minor as "no single map meta". I recall all the "ded gaem" spam coming from both of those crowds. The latter, recall IGN's infamous 6.5 review that reinforced the "can't spell ignorant without IGN" adage.

It was (really, still is) the most accessible of the MOBAs in terms of gameplay. I've said in the past that I really enjoyed playing almost every War3 custom there was - with the exception of Dota Allstars because I could smell the toxic from a mile away (getting kicked from the lobby for daring to download the map from other players in-game for one, even if you were clearly downloading it at T1 speeds, where almost every other custom map host was generally tolerant of downloading the map as long as you obviously weren't on a 14.4 connection, was a very early red flag).

Pity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's hard to evaluate without knowing how much money it was losing. I imagine doing things at Blizzard costs 8x more than it would at a normal company. I'd like to believe that it was only slightly unprofitable then they gradually made a bunch of changes that made the game less fun starting around late 2017. But the reality is probably that it was losing 20 million dollars a year or more even when it was at its "peak".