Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

It'll be connecting. Hooking bluetooth headphones to the Quest is a huge pain in the rear end that involves some sideloading, because they're not satisfied with the audio latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the best guide in getting the PC/Quest streaming over Wifi going? I thought since I have the Quest now I might as well, and yeah, I'm loving the Quest better in every way possible.

edit: So I tried to buy Vader Immortal on the Quest and it's asking for my "Oculus Pin" but I never set one up?

sigher fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 29, 2019

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Lemming posted:

By far the best solution that I've seen to is to get some sort of rug or something that you can feel with your feet. Lay it out in the center of your space so as long as you're standing on it, you can't hit anything. It's even better than guardian because you can tell if you're safe or not viscerally instead of needing to hope that the guardian boundaries appear in time.

That's what I do. Just a bath mat for standing room only.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got my Oculus Pin set up, had to Google it to find out I needed to do it on the Oculus site and not through the headset, pretty dumb.

ALVR is all set-up, but for people using ALVR are the controllers all hosed up for you in SteamVR? One controller always sits floating in the air unmoved and I can't have both controllers show in my hands at the same time. They will only "alternate" if I press the buttons on one or the other, it's really hosed. Also the button mappings are completely hosed up rendering everything unplayable. That said though, holy poo poo this looks and feels amazing, I'm only able to get a taste of what's possible with ALVR, but I guess I'll try Alien: Isolation since it doesn't use the VR controllers right now anyway and I can just Keyboard and Mouse it. Is this just a limitation of ALVR or am I doing something wrong where the inputs on the Quest controllers aren't mapped properly to SteamVR?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Uninstall what you have installed and use this instead
https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases/tag/ev6

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Adept Nightingale posted:

It'll be connecting. Hooking bluetooth headphones to the Quest is a huge pain in the rear end that involves some sideloading, because they're not satisfied with the audio latency.

The CPU supports aptX HD but who knows how popular that is (probably virtually nobody has compatible wireless headphones/earpods). Otherwise audio lag is probably going to be a couple of frames.

I paid for the first-party earpods (well, after the manufacturing debacle, it kind of paid for itself), which were reasonably good/easy to put on/store in the carrying case.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I gave Elite Dangerous a try with ALVR (since I'm using a HOTAS instead of the oculus controllers) and it ran pretty loving well. I'm going to give Tetris Effect a go tomorrow.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sitting experiences are pretty good, even ones that use Touch. I've been playing Vox Machinae with Touch over ALVR and the latency isn't really bothersome.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Good thing it's eye exam time anyway because it looks like prescription lens covers are going to be necessary for me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

Uninstall what you have installed and use this instead
https://github.com/JackD83/ALVR/releases/tag/ev6

How do I uninstall the version I have on the Quest? I don't see an option within the headset and I don't know the command in Powershell if that's how I'm supposed to do it.

Also, I just bought Vader Immortal and god drat, what a great experience. One of the coolest things I've experienced in VR, can't wait to jump into the second episode.

edit: Just found out about Sidequest and it sure as poo poo makes it so much easier to install and uninstall on the Quest, this owns. ALVR runs really really drat well on Experimental 6, I can play all my games except for Alien: Isolation, I guess MotherVR doesn't recognize the Quest/ALVR so it doesn't make the game run in a VR environment.

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 29, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Clitch posted:

Good thing it's eye exam time anyway because it looks like prescription lens covers are going to be necessary for me.

VR Optician is good poo poo. The lenses I got my wife for both Rift and Index are perfect.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

edit: Just found out about Sidequest and it sure as poo poo makes it so much easier to install and uninstall on the Quest, this owns. ALVR runs really really drat well on Experimental 6, I can play all my games except for Alien: Isolation, I guess MotherVR doesn't recognize the Quest/ALVR so it doesn't make the game run in a VR environment.

I haven't tried it for myself, but it should work. The developer implemented all the VR options direcly into the game's menu system, you should be able to select SteamVR from there.

Other ALVR tips, keep the buffer size to the absolute minimum it can be without causing underruns (causing stutter and other artifacts) and don't go crazy with the bitrate, ~50mbit is ideal, too high and latency increases a lot.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 29, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

I haven't tried it for myself, but it should work. The developer implemented all the VR options direcly into the game's menu system, you should be able to select SteamVR from there.

Other ALVR tips, keep the buffer size to the absolute minimum it can be without causing underruns (causing stutter and other artifacts) and don't go crazy with the bitrate, ~50mbit is ideal, too high and latency increases a lot.

Thanks for the tips for running ALVR, I'm going to have to test things out.

As for Alien: Isolation, it doesn't matter if I select Oculus or SteamVR as the run time, there's an error when the game launches and the game just plays in that lovely "VR Theater" SteamVR does for flat games that don't support proper VR. Dunno what it is, might just message the developer about it.

edit: General Quest questions: Is there no way to access the pass-through cameras like there is on the Rift S? Double tapping the Oculus button doesn't seem to do anything. Also can you make the Guardian Boundaries invisible? My laptop is on the edge of my play space so I'd like to keep the Boundaries off when I'm trying to do seated Keyboard+Mouse stuff.

sigher fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 29, 2019

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Has anyone had a chance to try one of the haptic VR vest or similar type things a few startups are building, such as at a convention?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
drat, I just finally got around to playing Payday in VR and it works really really well? I expected it to be half-assed as a free update but shiiiit this is as good as pavlov or onward but way more content

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

General Quest questions: Is there no way to access the pass-through cameras like there is on the Rift S? Double tapping the Oculus button doesn't seem to do anything. Also can you make the Guardian Boundaries invisible? My laptop is on the edge of my play space so I'd like to keep the Boundaries off when I'm trying to do seated Keyboard+Mouse stuff.

Not currently, though Passthrough+ and the ability to activate it was announced as coming soon to the Quest at the conference. The toggle to disable the guardian is under Developer in Settings.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, I just finally got around to playing Payday in VR and it works really really well? I expected it to be half-assed as a free update but shiiiit this is as good as pavlov or onward but way more content

Payday 2 VR is dope and the only way I'll play that game now. They did a really good job, especially given that it was a free update to an ancient game.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

Not currently, though Passthrough+ and the ability to activate it was announced as coming soon to the Quest at the conference. The toggle to disable the guardian is under Developer in Settings.

"Coming soon" in this case meaning within a week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

Payday 2 VR is dope and the only way I'll play that game now. They did a really good job, especially given that it was a free update to an ancient game.

Yeah. Like, even how you interact with the menus had a lot of thought and polish put into it. Its a very comfortable experience.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I'm sitting here loving the Quest and I'm just so confused about my Rift S... So far ALVR's been working REALLY well and I honestly don't notice any visual degradation in the video and it'll only be better with the cable tethering and an official solution? Then the Quest has the obvious benefits of being on the go, being easier put on and whatnot and generally more comfortable. The only downside is that the built-in audio on the Quest is noticeably worse, I wouldn't even consider it to be "passable," it sounds like total poo poo but I have other headphones to use so gently caress it.

All that said, why is the Rift S the same cost as the 64GB Quest? Everything is basically the same but except the screen is worse, the comfort is worse, no physical IPD adjustment, one store to access and you don't have a processor/battery to add to cost. Then you're telling me that the Quest will be able to natively plug into a PC and access all the PC-based content soon and it'll have basic hand tracking?

I say this as someone who owns both headsets right now, but the Rift S feels like it should cost $250 or something.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ive only tried a Rift S briefly, but yeah I agree. Provided the quality and latency are acceptable (and the OC6 talks.make that sound likely) its hard to find a place for the Rift S in the market, or really any other headset except maybe for the Index. Maybe people who are really sensitive to refresh rate? But then if that's important the Index is market leader and if you're spending that much a Quest makes for a good portable companion anyway.

The value proposition of the Quest as of November will be insane.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I decided to buy a Quest for Christmas, so I will join you in a few months!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What are the chances we'll be able to get 90fps on the Quest down the line, Carmack spoke about FCC certifications being lost if they pushed it for something stupid. Could they just reapply for certifications? Also, why the hell would they lose the over frame rates?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sigher posted:

What are the chances we'll be able to get 90fps on the Quest down the line, Carmack spoke about FCC certifications being lost if they pushed it for something stupid. Could they just reapply for certifications? Also, why the hell would they lose the over frame rates?

Interestingly when I was watching one of the interviews with someone from oculus, they said they hadn't completely ruled out increasing the refresh rate, but they'll see how the beta goes and what feedback they get.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

sigher posted:

Don't the certifications only apply to devices manufactured after the approval?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Is there a good way to hack in a global view/position reset. I ran into a thing that didn't let me recenter at all, and doing it in Home didn't change anything in the app either.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I mean with the cost difference it's hard to really suggest the Index as an alternative. Up here it's almost three times the price as the Rift S. It's not really an option for a lot of people on that alone.

For me though even with the Quest getting cabled mode, it's still looking like it's still a worse choice compared to the Rift S for what I'm using it for. I'm using it for both room scale stuff and flight sims like DCS, and the OLED screen on the Quest with the pentile screen comes with too much of a clarity loss to be acceptable for reading cockpit instruments and displays.

Which also makes a Lighthouse based system like the Index a harder sell because it'd be a real pain in the rear end to have to constantly move the base stations between rooms.

tl;dr I still see a place for the Rift S for people who want a clearer screen but can't afford the Index.
The system that makes no drat sense to me is the Cosmos, which is basically the Rift S but costing 60% for no reason.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 29, 2019

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

sigher posted:

I say this as someone who owns both headsets right now, but the Rift S feels like it should cost $250 or something.

So given how everything else is priced, I think it's more accurate that Rift S should cost $350 and the Quest should cost $599 or more.

I think what we are seeing is that the Quest was heavily subsidized because their market research said $399 was the break-off point as the max people were willing to pay.

I think we saw that with launch PS3 and launch XBox One over $399 that adoption was weak.

Also Oculus knows that people have to buy (with few exceptions) from the Oculus store to use Quest while people can buy from Steam/anywhere fro Rift S.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

SabinBlitz posted:

What we need is Chris Roberts to save PCVR gaming with his expert knowledge of hand waving and dreams and expert coding.

Imagine what he could do with Carmack.

They’d spend ten minutes together and Carmack would take CR to the vet to be put down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Insert that video of Chris Roberts running around in the Omni in Palmer Luckey's apartment and nearly breaking everything while Palmer looks on extremely concerned

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If you want to upgrade the audio on the Quest the vive deluxe audio strap works extremely well with it (couple pieces of duck tape and an d-ring is all that's needed). The Quest audio isn't terrible by default, but the DAS made it sound at least as good as my OG Rift and its more comfortable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuzzySlippers posted:

If you want to upgrade the audio on the Quest the vive deluxe audio strap works extremely well with it (couple pieces of duck tape and an d-ring is all that's needed). The Quest audio isn't terrible by default, but the DAS made it sound at least as good as my OG Rift and its more comfortable.

FYI there's an adapter kit for the DAS & Quest on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Adapter-Installing-Deluxe-Apapters-Replacement/dp/B07VCF2214

e: No idea how good it is.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I printed this, it's adhesive and velcro-less. Cost about the same getting it done via Treatstock.

Also has VR Cover padding.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 30, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
As a big fan of the Stanley parable I'm bummed I didn't get accounting plus sooner.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zer0spunk posted:

As a big fan of the Stanley parable I'm bummed I didn't get accounting plus sooner.

The odds of it are probably low, but I'm kinda hoping for a VR mode in The Stanley Parable Ultras Deluxe :pray:.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Blade & Sorcery has a new update in beta, it looks a lot better and plays pretty fun, they're slowly adding some structure to the game. It also offically supports custom maps now, there's some neat Witcher stuff up on the Nexus.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

tl;dr I still see a place for the Rift S for people who want a clearer screen but can't afford the Index.
The system that makes no drat sense to me is the Cosmos, which is basically the Rift S but costing 60% for no reason.

Yeah, that’s probably what I’m going to go for. I’ve got a CV1, but I really want something sensorless to pair with a portable gaming HTPC for living room & travel use. I’m not super interested in the Quest’s standalone abilities, if I went that route it’d be tethered 99% of the time most likely. I also don’t have USB-C on that PC, but I suppose somebody will come up with an A-C cable compatibility list.

Unless there’s some major advantage to the Quest as far as potentially being used by multiple people (I don’t know how the IPD thing works between the two, if adjustments are easier or anything), I’ll probably get the S since the images are clearer and they seem to go cheaper used on eBay. Even better if they have a good Black Friday sale, that’s when I got my CV1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TVs Ian posted:

Unless there’s some major advantage to the Quest as far as potentially being used by multiple people (I don’t know how the IPD thing works between the two, if adjustments are easier or anything)

The Quest has a mechanical IPD and dual displays, instead of doing it in software with a single LED panel like the Rift S, so it's got a broader IPD range.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

FYI there's an adapter kit for the DAS & Quest on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Adapter-Installing-Deluxe-Apapters-Replacement/dp/B07VCF2214

e: No idea how good it is.

Don't bother $2.5 in velcro and a 5 cent zip tie and my installation is perfect. I even have a nice place to put a tiny cleaning cloth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given the way tech kickstarters generally go, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Pimax actually deliver on everything instead of collapsing in on itself. They've shown off the coming accessories for it, and they'll all be shipping in mid December. Except the Sword and Sword Sense Controllers. They've been pushed back to March and May next year respectively.

What's the general verdict been on the Pimax HMD's, out of curiosity? Anyone used/using one?