Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
It's a frugal boring engine where you have to drive hard in first before you shift in to 2nd. But still a sound choice of a car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
As it happens, ”frugal and boring” also describes me quite well.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I know I asked a few months ago for help but I put more thought into it and I want to ask for advice again.

Proposed Budget: 20k
New or Used: I'm assuming its going to be used.
Body Style: Something that doesn't run low to the ground. I'm thinking small SUV since I don't like large vehicles.
How will you be using the car?: Just getting around in general. I sometimes have to drive to see family a few hours away.
What aspects are most important to you?: I need something that has some kind of sonar around it that gives audible warnings. I don't care about backup cameras. Something that I can perform basic maintenance on with some good gas mileage. Pot holes and speed bumps are bad in this area and without depth perception I can't see them sometimes so a good suspension would also be nice. Not sure how exact to get but I would also like a lot of windows and as few things blocking my vision.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

limp_cheese posted:

I know I asked a few months ago for help but I put more thought into it and I want to ask for advice again.

Proposed Budget: 20k
New or Used: I'm assuming its going to be used.
Body Style: Something that doesn't run low to the ground. I'm thinking small SUV since I don't like large vehicles.
How will you be using the car?: Just getting around in general. I sometimes have to drive to see family a few hours away.
What aspects are most important to you?: I need something that has some kind of sonar around it that gives audible warnings. I don't care about backup cameras. Something that I can perform basic maintenance on with some good gas mileage. Pot holes and speed bumps are bad in this area and without depth perception I can't see them sometimes so a good suspension would also be nice. Not sure how exact to get but I would also like a lot of windows and as few things blocking my vision.

The current line of Subaru Forester actually fits that pretty well. They have lane keep assist and collision avoidance as well as class leading visibility.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Is there any way to test out a Model 3 for 3-6 months to see how it fits into my life before committing to it? I haven't had a car in a long time, and I've really enjoyed the Model 3 the last time I sat in one, so I was thinking of seeing how having a pretty decent car would work again for me, given that I don't strictly need one. The problem is that it doesn't seem like there's a cost efficient way of doing this, at all. Like I could get a used 2019 model for say.. 40ish grand and then try to sell it in 6 months if I don't like it, but I'm guessing between taxes, depreciation, insurance I'm going to lose quite a bit on this experiment, making it rather expensive. Is there anything like a "short term lease" for this?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Do you need 3-6 months to figure out if a car is right for your life, or specifically this one car? If just the car find one you can rent for a week and make the best of it. If just a car, rent something way cheaper.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean it’s just a car

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

euphronius posted:

I mean it’s just a car
I had my last car half a month before I realized the pedal position made my usual way of diving a little uncomfortable. I imagine a Tesla would be testing whether whatever charge setup would be ideal or not.

But that's a hell of a trial period.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
I suppose it's more about whether I can deal with the shortcomings of electrics, with range anxiety, how much of a PITA it is for road trips, if it's worth the extra cost over say a random Kia that would have most of the functionality minus saving the universe, the crazy software etc. I suppose I could figure that out in a week. Maybe I can just Turo it for some time and see if it works out ok.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
You could also looking into renting a car for road trips if that’s a specific scenario you are worried about. I’ve rented minivans specifically for that before.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Proposed Budget: 10k-20k

New or Used: Used, preferably 2016 or newer.

Body Style: Wagon probably?

How will you be using the car?: Mainly just commuting and errands.

What aspects are most important to you?: So my wife is looking for a new car. We're looking to have kids and need a larger vehicle. We want a fair amount of space in the back with a hatchback so we can fit our 70 pound greyhound there and have the car seat(s) in the back seat. She also wants something that's not super tall, so not a large SUV. I'm guessing that leaves wagons or maybe a crossover? Most crossovers seem like they're a bit lacking in the trunk space or whatever that area is called for the dog. She also wants a hybrid but from what I've seen such a thing either doesn't exist or wouldn't fit our other requirements and doesn't really improve gas mileage by much given the cost.

From my research it seems like an Outback, Sportwagen, or V60 would fit our needs but I also know next to nothing about cars. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You are an absolutely prime candidate for a minivan with a dog of that size and those ambitions. How many miles are you doing a year through commuting and errands.

Other options to consider:
Prius V. We just had a discussion on them - drive before you buy because the Prius driving experience is different.
Regal TourX is a good option but i don't think you can get one that cheap - more like 25k.
Acura TSX Wagon is decent but extremely rare
Toyota Venza is kind of a big Camry wagon

I have a Sportwagen now (well, alltrack, but basically a lifted SW with some black plastic) and I don't think it would do both kids and a bigass dog. We have it for future kid proofing but will probably have a bigger vehicle as well. It's a Golf with a long hatchback.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
We did a family trip in my dad's MDX recently and that had plenty of space for the dog. How much less space would a wagon have? I was kind of under the assumption that a minivan would be too large for our needs but I will definitely look into it. My guess on miles a year would be a bit under 10k.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the Alltrack is 180" long. the MDX is 196" long. big difference.

outback: 191"
prius v: 182" (surprised it was so short)
regal: 196"

edit: you also don't have the kids yet. dog by itself, fine. kids by theyselves, fine. kids + dog = big space requirement.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Because I've been looking into this myself after the recommendations in this thread, what about a used A4 Allroad or a 328 BMW wagon? I'm guessing the V60 would be too small?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Alltrack is 180" long. the MDX is 196" long. big difference.

outback: 191"
prius v: 182" (surprised it was so short)
regal: 196"

edit: you also don't have the kids yet. dog by itself, fine. kids by theyselves, fine. kids + dog = big space requirement.

So the overall length of the car is a good proxy for figuring out the cargo space in the back? Or I guess I can look up cargo space specifically to compare right? I think that's probably the biggest factor in deciding on what we want so knowing what search term to use is helpful. Thanks!

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
My wife wants to upgrade from her 08 Hyundai Elantra to a compact SUV since we now have two toddlers and all the accouterments that go along with that.

The two cars that are at the top of our interest list is the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and the upcoming 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid.

Two questions I have are:

What is the buying process for a brand new car nowadays. We haven't bought a car since 08 with the above referenced Elantra, and back then we just picked something out of the lot and off we went. This time my wife wants a fun color, and I want the hybrid drivetrain and AWD, so I feel like we won't likely be able to just find one that matches what we want on a lot. If we custom order it are we basically up the creek on negotiating a decent price on this thing?

On paper we kind of like the Ford Escape a bit more due to body style, and specifically the sliding rear seats which would help a ton with the car seats. But I'm kinda worried about buying a brand new model with regard to reliability down the road. I know Toyota is considered pretty drat reliable, but what is the consensus on Ford nowadays?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bamhand posted:

So the overall length of the car is a good proxy for figuring out the cargo space in the back? Or I guess I can look up cargo space specifically to compare right? I think that's probably the biggest factor in deciding on what we want so knowing what search term to use is helpful. Thanks!

it's not like a 1-1 relationship because of course as cars get bigger a lot of times the nose-to-firewall distance gets longer in the front too, which isn't usable space, but when comparing 2-box designs like wagons and CUVs generally longer = more space.

couple useful measurements
- overall length (coupled with looking at the silhouette) gives you a reasonable idea of cargo space. longer = more all else equal, which it isn't exactly but it's not bad
- wheelbase - longer is better. the passenger compartment sits between the wheels, so longer means more room in the pax compartment, which means it's easier to say maneuver the car seat in to the car. this is primarily for the kid. gives you an idea of how the overall length is distributed.
- cargo capacity, rear seats up gives you a reasonable idea of the total cargo area behind the rear seats. usually liquid cube, so the packaging matters and two cars with nominally the same amount can be quite different - eg shallow wide and tall vs deep narrow and short could be the same measure but very different in usability. this is primarily for the dog.

less useful measurements
- any sort of hip/shoulder/legroom measurements
- cargo capacity, rear seats down gives you an idea of how much poo poo you can fit in it if you fold the seats but this isn't a practical measure for dog and kids

honestly the best way to figure this stuff out is to climb all over a car. presume the dog goes to the cargo area when the kids come, which means you have to figure out if the dog likes to be able to stand up or is ok lying down the whole time. greyhouds can be pretty tall and lanky.

i will give you an example:
Old focus had overall length of 171.7" on a 104.3" wheelbase, 23.8 cubic feet cargo space
New alltrak has overall length 180" on a 103.5" wheelbase, 30.4 cubic feet cargo space

so this tells us that almost all of the extra size of the alltrak is in the cargo area. but when you actually sit in them and gently caress around with them back to back, the packaging on the alltrak is better so the interior and cabin feels a lot more spacious and the cargo area is both bigger and significantly more usable. dimensions matter but packaging matters too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

My wife wants to upgrade from her 08 Hyundai Elantra to a compact SUV since we now have two toddlers and all the accouterments that go along with that.

The two cars that are at the top of our interest list is the Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and the upcoming 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid.

Two questions I have are:

What is the buying process for a brand new car nowadays. We haven't bought a car since 08 with the above referenced Elantra, and back then we just picked something out of the lot and off we went. This time my wife wants a fun color, and I want the hybrid drivetrain and AWD, so I feel like we won't likely be able to just find one that matches what we want on a lot. If we custom order it are we basically up the creek on negotiating a decent price on this thing?

On paper we kind of like the Ford Escape a bit more due to body style, and specifically the sliding rear seats which would help a ton with the car seats. But I'm kinda worried about buying a brand new model with regard to reliability down the road. I know Toyota is considered pretty drat reliable, but what is the consensus on Ford nowadays?

You can order something that isn't off the lot. Usually you negotiate a price and you tell them "if it ain't color X i ain't buying" Downside is the RAV-4's only cool color is Blue Flame and there are only two other colors for the hybrid (a dark blue and a red).

If you're shopping for non-immediate put the 2020 CR-V Hybrid on your list. Mild refresh other than the Powertrain. Can also get Radiant Red Metallic now plus a broader array of colors.

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018
Proposed Budget:$4,000 or less
New or Used: Used Preferably
Body Style: Truck
How will you be using the car?: Towing, Material Hauling (Lumber, Drywall, Concrete, General House Renovation, and Furniture Transit.), Work Truck that can hold 4-5 people preferably.
What aspects are most important to you? I'm going to be doing a lot of DIY Home Renovations over the next few months/years and need something that can facilitate the boys and I going out to do things. As well as moving large project sized amounts of material. I have no idea what kind of truck is going to be reliable and easy to work on outside my own experience. I've been looking for a 1992-97 F-150 F250 Since my father owned a 97 F250, and I remember all the tear downs and rebuilds for maintenance we did in the winter months. I'm familiar with that and Its almost impossible to find one in good condition in Indiana for a cheap amount. I have found a couple in okay condition, but I can't justify the asking amounts.

What are some other trucks I should consider? Thanks in advance!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

$4k and four passengers is a pretty tall order for a truck, unless you really hate at least two of them.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why do you need to drive so many people AND haul materials at the same time? Is it going to be your only vehicle? You can get a rough looking, but running E150 van with 200k miles for like $1500 in my neck of the woods and it will haul enough to build a house from scratch. Then use rest of your budget to get the most maintained used car you can find. Once you're done using the van, you still going to sell it for $1500 unless you run it into the ground, which is fine also. It's worth $400 in scrap metal no matter what.

Here's a better plan. Have your materials delivered. Open a Lowe's credit card, and any delivery is $20. Then order all the cumbersome and heavy stuff together, right to your door. Use Pro Desk QSP system to get bulk discount of 5-25% off. Not sure how much your time is worth, but you will be saving a lot of that as well.

And if you routinely driving 4-5 people around, just get a used well-maintained minivan. Chrysler vans have a stow-and-go feature, where all rear seats fold into the floor, giving you flat 4'-8' cargo area. You can bring home all the supplies they didn't get delivered.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Fair_Winds posted:

How will you be using the car?: Towing, Material Hauling (Lumber, Drywall, Concrete, General House Renovation, and Furniture Transit.), Work Truck that can hold 4-5 people preferably.
What aspects are most important to you? I'm going to be doing a lot of DIY Home Renovations over the next few months/years and need something that can facilitate the boys and I going out to do things. As well as moving large project sized amounts of material. I have no idea what kind of truck is going to be reliable and easy to work on outside my own experience. I've been looking for a 1992-97 F-150 F250 Since my father owned a 97 F250, and I remember all the tear downs and rebuilds for maintenance we did in the winter months. I'm familiar with that and Its almost impossible to find one in good condition in Indiana for a cheap amount. I have found a couple in okay condition, but I can't justify the asking amounts.

This article may be helpful (read past the condescending parts):

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/04/28/what-does-your-work-truck-say-about-you/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fair_Winds posted:

Most domestic half tons are pretty reliable and easy to work on especially older ones. Parts are cheap. The danger is really rust. Since you're in a semi-snow weather area, you could be well served looking for a 4x2 truck. They don't hold value as well especially in colder climates. Your seats four requirement is a huge limiter, so you should think carefully if it's a real requirement or just a nice to have. In general you will go 20 years or so to get in to your price range for trucks and there were fewer crew cabs and four doors. Also - do you really need a 3/4 ton or will a half ton do? There are a lot more 150s and 1500s than 250s and 2500s.

$4,000 is 40 full days of home depot truck rental. Figure you are going to have to insure your truck, pay taxes on it, register it, and maintain it too, so that number of days you can get for your total cost goes up a bit. Just something to consider.

edit: avoid the 12 valve Ford V8 that was common in the F150 in the early 2000s.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

12 valve Ford V8

I'm far from an engine expert, but how the hell could this even exist?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

1.5 valve per cylinder. Easy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

I'm far from an engine expert, but how the hell could this even exist?

oops i meant 24

four cylinders with two valves and four cylinders with one valve bada boom bada bing

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Does anyone know how reliably rentals are reported?

I see a lot of cars that have fleet / lease reported. I’m overall not too worried about corporate type use for a used car, but what’s the likelihood this could be a rental? Do rental companies lease cars? I’ve also seen plenty of cars reported as rentals.

I’m specifically looking at a 2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport with 25k miles for $17k. If I can be reasonably assured this wasn’t a rental I’m ready to buy it. It had a lease, labeled fleet, one owner.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 2, 2019

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
My mother is looking to buy an Volvo XC40, and she's dead-set on an Inscription with red leather. She's dying from cancer, and wants something nice to drive until she croaks. I'm 100% on board with her decision, as financially questionable it may be.

There's one 2019 left in the country with everything she wants (and a bit more), MSRP is $50,750, and the dealer is selling it for $47,705 (6% off MSRP). It's a short $125 flight for me to go down, buy it, and drive it back. It's been on their lot since April, and has 400 miles on it. It's not a demo/loaner according to them, just lots of test drives as it was a top-trim model.

Lease rates on 2019s suck, MF of .00195 and residuals of 46%. a 36month/7.5k mile lease was over $800/month, which is crazy money. Rates on the 2020s are more favorable (MF=.00136 residual of 58%) , but still not stellar.

So: Lease/finance a 2020, or finance the 2019 for 3.39%? They're offering 60 months at $890/month with $2500 down. I've never leased a car, as we drive the wheels off them. TBH, I've never borrowed money for a car, even though it usually makes sense to do so. Leases seem like black magic, and looking at LeaseHackr, there isn't much to be had on the XC40. XC60's can be had on 36/10k for under $500/month through one of the brokers.

Anyone with insight on trying to get the purchase price down, or how to leverage the dealers against one another would be helpful. I'm a car-buying dummy in general.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
No matter what lease you do with the 2019, the residuals will kill it. A 6% discount on a car that's been there since April is laughable... if she really wants it, go there in person and deal. If you're doing this over email, they're not taking you seriously. You should be targeting minimum 15% off MSRP at this point.

Surely there's an XC40 forum (swedespeed?) that has a "post what you paid" thread...work backwards from there. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that trim levels affect residuals. Usually the higher the trim level, the lower the residual.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

those lease rates are brutal

it's a shame she is set on an Inscription because Care by Volvo sounds like the right play for her. But you can only get the Momentum or Sport/R-Design. Lease terms are 24mos at 15,000 miles a year, and it includes insurance, maintenance etc for 0 down $700/mo. You can get the red leather on the Momentum if that's the dealbreaker.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Volvo subscription. That's a really good idea.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's a shame she is set on an Inscription because Care by Volvo sounds like the right play for her. But you can only get the Momentum or Sport/R-Design. Lease terms are 24mos at 15,000 miles a year, and it includes insurance, maintenance etc for 0 down $700/mo. You can get the red leather on the Momentum if that's the dealbreaker.

Includes insurance and maintenance ? That is a good deal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sharkytm posted:

They're offering 60 months at $890/month with $2500 down.

What kind of taxes and fees are they adding into that? If I reverse that, you're looking at 52,500 OTD.

Looked at edmunds, it looks like you're a month late on really good lease incentives. 6 to 7K last month it looks like.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

skipdogg posted:

What kind of taxes and fees are they adding into that? If I reverse that, you're looking at 52,500 OTD.

Looked at edmunds, it looks like you're a month late on really good lease incentives. 6 to 7K last month it looks like.
Yeah, September was the end of every Volvo incentive on 2019s. They're screwing the dealers, but w/e.

There's $3100 in sales tax, plus $671 in fees/registration/paper tags. 47,705 + $3800 gets you 51,505, which is what comes up in the reverse loan calculator.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

By the time you add all the packages that you'd need to match the Inscription, a Momentum ends up at the same price. The CbV is a good deal, for sure. If we are ordering a car, then that may be where we go instead of financing. The lease rates are really dumb.

TheWevel posted:

No matter what lease you do with the 2019, the residuals will kill it. A 6% discount on a car that's been there since April is laughable... if she really wants it, go there in person and deal. If you're doing this over email, they're not taking you seriously. You should be targeting minimum 15% off MSRP at this point.

Surely there's an XC40 forum (swedespeed?) that has a "post what you paid" thread...work backwards from there. Also, one thing to keep in mind is that trim levels affect residuals. Usually the higher the trim level, the lower the residual.
I've been calling and talking to them, and I think they're taking it seriously. I've gotten quick responses when asking questions, and a bunch of up-to-date pictures. She's not going to fly to VA from MA to negotiate, so I'm on the hook for that.

Sweedespeed's what you paid on the XC40 isn't well-trafficked, with only a couple of prices posted in the past 6 months.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 2, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CbV is a great program and it's pretty ideally structured for what you want.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

CbV is a great program and it's pretty ideally structured for what you want.

Unfortunately, the CbV program is severely limited in options/colors. For example, you can get a Momentum in white over red, but no Advanced package, so no adaptive cruise which is a big feature for her. You can get an R-line but not with the red leather, but you have to get the HK audio, which she doesn't care about. I'm sending the VA dealer an offer to match a 2020 I priced out up here. We'll see what they say, that would be 12% off MSRP.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

dexter6 posted:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/04/28/what-does-your-work-truck-say-about-you/

Holy crap, this is basically what my advice was, condescension and all. But please do not buy Honda Odyssey of that vintage, they go through transmissions at unprecedented rate.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

oops i meant 24

four cylinders with two valves and four cylinders with one valve bada boom bada bing
8 wankel rotaries in a V formation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair_Winds
Feb 26, 2018

dexter6 posted:

Condescending articles are my jam. Reads like a paragraph out of Rich Dad Poor Dad, got me reconsidering size and requirements.