Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes, it has always existed, but now it's easier than ever to insinuate yourself into the echo chamber and to signal boost regressive assholes. It's also harder for dissident voices to be heard, because for every person saying "Maybe Nazis are bad, I guess???" you have a legion of dumbshits chanting "BLOOD AND SOIL!," and that has a quantifiable effect on kids as shown in the last couple of decades.

Why the gently caress are you so resistant to telling kids to put down their phones and try to interact with people around them, anyway? We're not going anprim, we're not forcing them to become Amish, we're just asking little Timmy to turn off Pewdiepie Screams Gamer Words At Minecraft featuring Ben Shapiro and actually talk with the black kid beside him in class.

sorry, there's no black kids in little Timmy's class (or neighborhood, or suburb) because real life is just as segregated and insular as online, if not more so

putting down their phones doesn't take them out of the echo chamber. it just means they're stuck in their parents' preferred echo chamber instead of the one they chose themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

except it wasnt chosen by the kids, it was chosen by mark zuckerberg or The Algorithm

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Main Paineframe posted:

sorry, there's no black kids in little Timmy's class (or neighborhood, or suburb) because real life is just as segregated and insular as online, if not more so

putting down their phones doesn't take them out of the echo chamber. it just means they're stuck in their parents' preferred echo chamber instead of the one they chose themselves

okay then we should just go ahead and continue to let youtube and facebook teach our children, hail bezos and zuckerburg

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
don't hail them, behead them, and use the useful idea of algorithmic technology for the good of the people rather than the profits of amazon

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Screaming Idiot posted:

continue to let youtube teach our children
If we could get it fixed to not be trash, this would unironically be an excellent idea.
Facebook is pretty solidly irredeemable though, as if its origins weren't enough of a tell.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

hey maybe the move to phones and poo poo also damaged people. "people weren't damaged by past tech advancement!" sure they were

the luddites were right

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

just posting in the cyberpunk dystopia thread that, actually, technology isn't part of the problem

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the luddites were right
Like so many leftists, they were half right. They ought to have killed the capitalists and used the machines to generate prosperity and economic security for themselves.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

the luddites were right

neo-luddisim owns

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Class Warcraft posted:

just posting in the cyberpunk dystopia thread that, actually, technology isn't part of the problem

*Foucaultishly* Seems like someone's overlooking that we've been living in a society prison.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Class Warcraft posted:

the point of cyberpunk isn’t that technology is bad. There is a reason that most cyberpunk focuses on corps.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Tubgoat posted:

If we could get it fixed to not be trash, this would unironically be an excellent idea.
Facebook is pretty solidly irredeemable though, as if its origins weren't enough of a tell.

"if cyanide were edible, then we could eat cyanide"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CharlestheHammer posted:

the point of cyberpunk isn’t that technology is bad. There is a reason that most cyberpunk focuses on corps.

drat scots. They ruined technology!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Screaming Idiot posted:

"if cyanide were edible, then we could eat cyanide"
It beats getting captured, each and every time. :shrug:

Anyway what I meant was Youtube has all manner of tutorials on poo poo folks may need to know how to do but not have anyone around to instruct them.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

no TRUE Scotsman would ruin technology

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alan Smithee posted:

I do wonder if people said the same thing about like the telegraph.

it just gives people to much power! It’s the devil I say!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

CharlestheHammer posted:

Now my east coast family could learn of my west coast family! Unacceptable!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pooky posted:

corrupting our youth

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CharlestheHammer posted:

you're a loving moron and i regret engaging with you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pooky posted:

The true Tower of Babel was dividing Tupac and Biggie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

you're a loving moron and i regret engaging with you

sad you could have learned something, but digging in to your dumb opinion is another way you could go I guess

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

CharlestheHammer posted:

sad you could have learned something, but digging in to your dumb opinion is another way you could go I guess

yes, suggesting that kids have some time away from social media is "dumb"

never mind the raise in teen suicide, far-right indoctrination, sexual exploitation, rampant commercialization and predatory revenue generation of online spaces, and other such things

just let kids stay online 24/7, because who needs to pay attention in class and make friends IRL? let ben shapiro CRUSH their ignorance with FACTS and LOGIC

Realtalk: Kids need time off the internet. Period. Not a lot, but an hour or two a day where they're encouraged to go outside and engage with reality would do us all some good. God knows it would have done me some good.

Ross DaouThot
Aug 31, 2018

when i hit that loud and open cspam the adam curtis music starts playing
for some reason im gettin the vibe this guy has no idea what hes talkin about

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

yes, suggesting that kids have some time away from social media is "dumb"

never mind the raise in teen suicide, far-right indoctrination, sexual exploitation, rampant commercialization and predatory revenue generation of online spaces, and other such things

just let kids stay online 24/7, because who needs to pay attention in class and make friends IRL? let ben shapiro CRUSH their ignorance with FACTS and LOGIC

Realtalk: Kids need time off the internet. Period. Not a lot, but an hour or two a day where they're encouraged to go outside and engage with reality would do us all some good. God knows it would have done me some good.

all those things coincide with the fact that most people economic prospects have been shrinking.

nah it can’t be that it must be computers

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Using communication devices like phones for ungoverned communication is fine but selling the contents of those communications and letting $ad_agency run creepy social experiments on kids is bad, how the hell.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

this is like saying war is bad so to stop it we must ban writing because the war declarations was written on paper.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

CharlestheHammer posted:

this is like saying war is bad so to stop it we must ban writing because the war declarations was written on paper.

I once read a newspaper article written in the 90's about a museum display of African beads. The author was shocked to find out that some slaves were bought with beads and posed the question as to why Africa didn't simply ban beads.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

The author was shocked to find out that some slaves were bought with beads and posed the question as to why Africa didn't simply ban beads.
I want so badly to believe you're joking or exaggerating in some way but even without being familiar with your sources at all, I know for a fact you are not. :negative:

Also we haven't declared war on paper or even in text in a long loving time, we just kinda roll up and start murdering civilians and trafficking drugs and children.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Screaming Idiot posted:

okay then we should just go ahead and continue to let youtube and facebook teach our children, hail bezos and zuckerburg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eV_F33Xevs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

oh no, kids might learn things from racist videos instead of racist textbooks. the horror

maybe it's because I grew up in the South, but putting down my phone and interacting with the real people around me just exposed me to even more racism than the internet did

Class Warcraft posted:

the underlying problems aren't technological. the problem is that technology is being used to further the underlying human problems. technology is just a tool.

it's not technology's fault people are inventing video doorbells that automatically call the cops if they see a black person. after all, there's a huge target market of people who call the cops whenever they see a black person, but are deeply concerned that a black person might exist near their house when they're sleeping or away. technology simply allows them to take unrestrained fascist megacapitalism to all new levels

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Main Paineframe posted:

oh no, kids might learn things from racist videos instead of racist textbooks. the horror

maybe it's because I grew up in the South, but putting down my phone and interacting with the real people around me just exposed me to even more racism than the internet did

You know, I also live in the South, and yeah, there are a shitton of racist assholes in the South. There's also a lot of people who suffer from racism, a lot of black people, a lot of Latinx people, and a lot of other marginalized people whose marginalizing factors aren't immediately visible (LGBTQ+ folk, for example) who, unfortunately, get lumped with the rest.

Yeah, it's great that people are sharing commie pink leftoid Youtube videos and liking Tweets and posting long rants on a forum that for some reason it's totally cool to call "dead and gay" without repercussion, but that's just another example of the echo chamber I was talking about. I'd rather Bobby in middle school make friends with the black or Latinx kid across the street than, for example, binge-listen to Hbomberguy or Contrapoints. He might not end up as well-informed about the subjects they talk about, but there's a better chance he'll get real human interaction with someone from a different background and, hey, he might even go outside and play!

When I was a kid, I was a shut-in. Like, I was literally shut inside. My father grounded me from going outside for two weeks whenever I brought home a grade lower than a B. Not from video games, not from the internet, not from TV, not from my lovely fantasy novels, but specifically from going outside and from having friends over. I also had mental issues which made doing schoolwork difficult for me which he refused to believe I actually had -- after all, ADHD ain't nothing some beatings won't cure!

So I stayed inside. I didn't interact with others. My friends stopped coming around me because we had different teachers and the only time we would see one another would be at lunch, and why would you visit the weird shut-in kid with the bruises and the dad who used to scream so loud you could hear him outside the apartment in the street?

For the love of god, give kids a chance to interact with others outside of the loving internet.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

people have a chance and most do actually interact with outside people. They may not interact with anyone outside their click but that problem predates the internet by a lot. it was also in a way done on purpose

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Folks, the world is hell. Trying to figure out *why* and *in what specific ways* its so bad is playing right into the hands of the demiurge who created this plane and who wants nothing more than to confound and vex you. Better you follow my example and drink 'til you cant feel nothin

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Saw this commercial the other day and was like wait a minute....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BovStQqaEY

When marketing campaigns really lean into the idea of the apocalypse to sell a product...

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
it’s a funny commercial IMO

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Me am play gods!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

the underlying problems aren't technological. the problem is that technology is being used to further the underlying human problems. technology is just a tool.

it's not technology's fault people are inventing video doorbells that automatically call the cops if they see a black person. after all, there's a huge target market of people who call the cops whenever they see a black person, but are deeply concerned that a black person might exist near their house when they're sleeping or away. technology simply allows them to take unrestrained fascist megacapitalism to all new levels

No poo poo, making kids turn off the fascist propaganda box for a couple hours a day won't instantly solve America, but at least it's one part of the day they aren't being actively bombarded by poisonous ideology.

Your "lol nothing matters" schtick is boring. Everyone here understands that all the poo poo posted in this thread are the symptoms of late-stage capitalism, you're not dropping truth bombs on sheeple here or whatever you think you're doing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Class Warcraft posted:

but at least it's one part of the day they aren't being actively bombarded by poisonous ideology.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Russian troll farm posted:

Folks, the world is hell. Trying to figure out *why* and *in what specific ways* its so bad is playing right into the hands of the demiurge who created this plane and who wants nothing more than to confound and vex you. Better you follow my example and drink 'til you cant feel nothin

I went down a rabbit hole the other day thinking about how the way we use technology and the lack of quality education have devolved the way we communicate and generally interact and are contributing to our demise and finally stopped when i realized these thoughts were useless and just had a drink instead.