Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
After having to watch the only game I didn’t want to see today, I don’t know how I didn’t think of this. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It 100% doesn’t work out of the country though as I learned when I traveled.

Also the ads in the YouTube TV VOD stuff are infuriating. I love to see the same ad 4 times in a row and the same 5 ads on rotation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

MarcusSA posted:

It 100% doesn’t work out of the country though as I learned when I traveled.

Also the ads in the YouTube TV VOD stuff are infuriating. I love to see the same ad 4 times in a row and the same 5 ads on rotation.

My favorite is when there's an ad break with two ads and it's the same one twice

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

How restrictive is the geolocation set up for YoutubeTV? A friend of mine says that she shares it with her sister who lives 45-60 minutes away.

I am trying it out right now but I am always looking at getting the price down ($50 a month is a hit against it) so if I decide to continue, being able to share it with someone would be a bonus.

I've read that they're starting to make devices connect to the "home" wifi network periodically but my dad's been using my YTTV without consequence for about three months now.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I got Sling as suggested in this thread for the historic wrestling that’s on this week. They have a sale going on so it’s a good time to test it out.

But god drat is cable depressing. I forgot how sad commercials are. I’m used to YouTube’s targeted ads that at least are kinda related to my interests, but all of these TV commercials are super depressing stuff for old people.

And content is generally lovely. Everything is horrible semi scripted reality tv and cheap movies. It’s all a waste land. I know I’m not high brow watching wrestling but god drat this stuff is mostly terrible. I think I’m spoiled by the niche services I’ve been using like Shudder and WWE Network that specifically target my interests.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Violator posted:

I got Sling as suggested in this thread for the historic wrestling that’s on this week.

that's more effort than Orange Cassidy would put in

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Speaking of Sling, if you're a current/prospective Sling subscriber and have an Amex card, check your Amex offers for "Spend $25+ [on Sling], get $10 back. Up to 3 times (total of $30)".

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I've read that they're starting to make devices connect to the "home" wifi network periodically but my dad's been using my YTTV without consequence for about three months now.

I think it's only the main account has to check in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

phosdex posted:

I think it's only the main account has to check in.

It's all accounts. I split it with my parents and a friend. Friend lives here, parents live out of market. I have to login on their account from my local connection every 30 days or so

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

canyoneer posted:

It's all accounts. I split it with my parents and a friend. Friend lives here, parents live out of market. I have to login on their account from my local connection every 30 days or so

Oh you just have to log in with their account on one of your local devices? That's it?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Oh you just have to log in with their account on one of your local devices? That's it?

That's it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I really like my current setup the last few months of:

1. Apple TV 4k's, nvidia Shield
2. YouTube TV + Philo TV
3. OTA Antenna (Winegard Flatwave FL6550A outdoor)
4. HD Home Run Extend
5. Channels DVR service/guide

The Channels Guide and DVR is so drat good and when I connect my Philo account to it I get 72 channels including extra stations like France24 news and NY and LA news stations, etc. It is also great for recording not only OTA shows but also any Philo shows as well. FFWD'ing through commercials is so easy as well especially compared to the clumsy way in YTTV with an apple remote or even harmony.

I just wish there was a way to connect YTTV to it. It just errors out every time with some chrome authentication error (on any browser).

oh and Channels DVR app works great on an ipad/iphone etc when on the home network but barely at all on a mac without stuttering and farting every 10 seconds and not at all anywhere offsite even after doing all their configuration crap so that's a "meh".

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 28, 2019

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
New Shield is being released.

https://twitter.com/NVIDIASHIELD/status/1188802731655520256?s=20

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I really wish the Shield handled framerates properly. I would go out and buy a new one today if I could get DV 24hz + Atmos on netflix, but setting 24hz manually is always a shitshow that either breaks REC2020, disables HDR, or causes a nasty lip sync issue.

Also, it kinda rubs me the wrong way to have to pay at least $150 to get DV and Atmos out of the device when there have been no hardware changes that suddenly grant it that ability. It's all software that could run perfectly fine on the OG Shield TV.

Shield is a great Kodi/Plex machine, but as a general streamer for commercial sources, it kinda sucks.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 28, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I really wish the Shield handled framerates properly. I would go out and buy a new one today if I could get DV 24hz + Atmos on netflix, but setting 24hz manually is always a shitshow that either breaks REC2020, disables HDR, or causes a nasty lip sync issue.

Also, it kinda rubs me the wrong way to have to pay at least $150 to get DV and Atmos out of the device when there have been no hardware changes that suddenly grant it that ability. It's all software that could run perfectly fine on the OG Shield TV.

Shield is a great Kodi/Plex machine, but as a general streamer for commercial sources, it kinda sucks.

I'm thinking of grabbing one as a Plex server / to drive my old 1080p TV where none of that will matter.

After finding the stupid setting in the Roku Plex app that had it harcoded to 12mbps/4k transcode instead of Direct Play (Force) / Original Quality it is now screaming along with the 10GB/hr file with the HDR's and the Atmos's etc. Technology is truly the worst ever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I have the 2017 Shield and there’s not much in the way of specs pushing me hard to get a new one. At best I might just get the new remote because the current one is absolute trash.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
does the Shield Tube still do MPEG2?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have the 2017 Shield and there’s not much in the way of specs pushing me hard to get a new one. At best I might just get the new remote because the current one is absolute trash.

The new remote looks like it has a nightmare button layout. You can get $10 Bluetooth/2.4ghz remotes on Amazon that feel way nicer than the basic Shield remote, or even buy the one for the Fire TV.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fallom posted:

The new remote looks like it has a nightmare button layout. You can get $10 Bluetooth/2.4ghz remotes on Amazon that feel way nicer than the basic Shield remote, or even buy the one for the Fire TV.

Nope. I’m good. I tried two of those types of remotes and they didn’t perform as well as I hoped and the reviews matched my attitude toward them. I did consider the Fire TV remote but sounded like a pain to pair.

I’ll just buy the new Nvidia remote and be content. :downs:

stevewm
May 10, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I did consider the Fire TV remote but sounded like a pain to pair.

It's not... For the current generation fire TV remote.. hold down the home key until the light on the remote flashes yellow. Scan for Bluetooth accessories on the shield. Pick the remote to pair with. Done.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

stevewm posted:

It's not... For the current generation fire TV remote.. hold down the home key until the light on the remote flashes yellow. Scan for Bluetooth accessories on the shield. Pick the remote to pair with. Done.

Does voice work? Last I read it doesn't work correctly.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I couldn't imagine living without a Harmony remote.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wandler20 posted:

I couldn't imagine living without a Harmony remote.

Same

stevewm
May 10, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Does voice work? Last I read it doesn't work correctly.

Kinda... It works for assistant as the Amazon remote requires you to hold down the mic button to talk.

If you use voice that is triggered by a on screen button, it doesn't work.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

stevewm posted:

Kinda... It works for assistant as the Amazon remote requires you to hold down the mic button to talk.

If you use voice that is triggered by a on screen button, it doesn't work.

Yeah, that's a pass for me, thanks though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Playstation Vue shutting down Jan 30th, 2020

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10/29/sony-interactive-entertainment-to-shut-down-playstation-vue/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol

I also canceled my YouTubeTV sub. It’s just too expensive for how little I really watch TV.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

lol

I also canceled my YouTubeTV sub. It’s just too expensive for how little I really watch TV.

It's a good deal for me when split three ways, but at $50/month it's just cable with extra steps

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was using Youtube TV for a couple months but I canceled and just subbed for Hulu w/Live TV. There's drawbacks of course, but it's cheaper and it works for me. I'm keeping it just for football season so I can live with it for a few more months.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

That sucks. They were by far the best for sports in terms of college football. Plus I'm going to miss being able to have 4 games at a time on my screen.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess if you're one of the competitors why spend big money buying them out when you know you'll get some % of their former customers anyway.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I liked PSVue and used it for over 2 years when I moved but around summer, I decided to try out youtube TV and it was too good to switch back. It integrated much better with all my stuff (I'm already deep in the google ecosystem) and being able to share with people already on my google music family meant that I could share with people easily w/o having to give them my password. I'll miss Vue but I'm not gonna shed a tear.

They hosed it up from the start by branding it with Playstation. I don't know how many times I had to tell people "no, you don't need a playstation to use it." If there's a reason it never could compete with sling or other providers, it's that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

I liked PSVue and used it for over 2 years when I moved but around summer, I decided to try out youtube TV and it was too good to switch back. It integrated much better with all my stuff (I'm already deep in the google ecosystem) and being able to share with people already on my google music family meant that I could share with people easily w/o having to give them my password. I'll miss Vue but I'm not gonna shed a tear.

They hosed it up from the start by branding it with Playstation. I don't know how many times I had to tell people "no, you don't need a playstation to use it." If there's a reason it never could compete with sling or other providers, it's that.

I only learned a few weeks ago that it was a cable competitor. I thought it was some streaming peripheral that let you do like twitch streams or view them. Sony gonna Sony though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

That's too bad, pricewise I thought it was a good deal, especially with all the sports channels they roped in.

The only thing I hated was their web layout, I maintain it was super painful to use and literally no better than a TV Guide printed magazine page clumsily implemented in HTML if you use the computer browser version. Their AppleTV app was slightly better at least.

If you want to see what online TV menus SHOULD look like, check out FuboTV, tons of mini graphics and two-line descriptions of everything.

I got a code from them for another 30 day trial.. guess I should use it before they close up!

Proteus Jones posted:

That sucks. They were by far the best for sports in terms of college football. Plus I'm going to miss being able to have 4 games at a time on my screen.

Yeah, they were one of the few people to do that with their AppleTV app.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 29, 2019

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Proteus Jones posted:

Yep. Putting "PlayStation" in the name was probably a killer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just got that email too. Disappointing, we have been really happy with the service.

Now to start shopping again. I don't even remember what's out there now.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

gret posted:

Yep. Putting "PlayStation" in the name was probably a killer.

it's kinda bizarre that the Playstation brand ended up bringing out a Cable With Buffering service but XBox never bothered. TV TV TV was their whole thing for a while there, and OneGuide still has its users (me, my wife, and maybe one other person).

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

gently caress

we’ve had vue for a while and have been perfectly satisfied with it. we run an hbo subscription through vue, but otherwise a pretty standard channel lineup; no need for sports channels etc

is there any hive mind on the best fallback option(s) these days? or what to avoid? or is it too subjective overall and I’ll need to redo the comparison we did at the outset?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

a mysterious cloak posted:

Now to start shopping again. I don't even remember what's out there now.

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

is there any hive mind on the best fallback option(s) these days? or what to avoid? or is it too subjective overall and I’ll need to redo the comparison we did at the outset?

It looks like the https://www.suppose.tv tool has been updated to not include PlayStation Vue.

Remember that you have through January, maybe there will be Black Friday / end of year special offers to come from the other services

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know for myself it came down to Youtube TV and Hulu.

Youtube TV is $50 a month. You get unlimited DVR and you can do family sharing with it

Hulu is $45 a month. At that price you do up to two simultaneous streams, 50 hours of DVR, and the regular Hulu content.

They both have a pretty similar channel lineup, although Hulu does not have AMC for some reason, which might be a dealbreaker for a lot of people.