Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Continuity RCP posted:

Dude is an English teacher

yeah amazing how much smarter he is than bbc or npr bleach huffing morons considering he’s an “amateur” - probably helps that he’s not literally grifting money from gulf funded foundations and idiotic think tanks like most of the Serious pundits out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the gently caress was brown moses before he became a loving "expert"? a computer janitor?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

the gently caress was brown moses before he became a loving "expert"? a computer janitor?

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/18/eliot-higgins-syria_n_4269417.html?ri18n=true

quote:

After a temporary job reviewing orders at a ladies' lingerie maker came to an end in February, he dispensed with looking for another so that he could devote himself to blogging full-time. His wife admits she does not read his blog and yearns for a time that he will return to "a real job." But as Higgins sees it, he is consumed with the realest job of all, sifting through a digital goldmine disdained by those who lack the patience for the work.

quote:

Born in 1979 to a Royal Air Force engineer and a caterer, Higgins describes himself as an avid gardener and budding cook, but his core passions have always centered on a fascination with screens: During his schooling years, he engaged in marathon sessions playing video games and argued ceaselessly on Internet forums. These two pursuits trumped his attention to schoolwork, filling his report cards with Cs.

Throughout his life, Higgins has taken hobbies to illogical extremes. After his brother introduced him to the iconoclastic rockstar Frank Zappa, Higgins rushed out to buy all of his four-dozen albums. As a video gamer, Higgins pressed well past casual bouts of "World of Warcraft," staying up late to lead teams of 40 players in complex online raids. Even now, he feels compelled to systematically beat each new video game before he can start another, in this fashion gradually making his way through strategy and role-playing games like "Fallout," "Baldur's Gate," "Total War: Rome II" and "Command and Conquer." Before getting married, he was known to game for 36 hours at a stretch.

quote:

After dropping out of university midway through a media studies degree, Higgins moved through a series of jobs with no relation to munitions, Syria or blogging. He worked as a data entry clerk at Barclays bank and then managed invoices for a process management firm. When that task was outsourced overseas, he helped asylum seekers find housing. His next, and most recent, job was working on women's undergarments.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

oh my god

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
say what you will about brown moses: he is a goon.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
dude just continued evolving into the ultimate goon

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

War nerd is good but the podcast is 2 hours long and literally the first hour is Gary complaining like an old woman (with respect to old women, he just has serious grandma energy) about some small thing that happened to him that week. I think one time he got stuck in a toilet and started screaming lol

Then Mark will start talking about something that happened to his kid and I'm frantically skipping forward for the war stuff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It rules that the news always talks about the Iranian backed houthis like they're getting anywhere near the supposed the Saudis are from far richer countries

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Shakenbaker posted:

Saudi Arabia is the UAE of the middle east

The Dark Souls of Middle Eastern conflicts

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Jose posted:

It rules that the news always talks about the Iranian backed houthis like they're getting anywhere near the supposed the Saudis are from far richer countries

Lol last time I listened to bbc news it was the "Iranian backed Houthi rebels" against the "legitimate government of Yemen"

Haven't listened since the houthis started seizing territory tho

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Darkman Fanpage posted:

say what you will about brown moses: he is a goon.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MBS is gonna be on 60 Minutes tonight, god willing it will be his last US media appearance

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

MBS is gonna be on 60 Minutes tonight, god willing it will be his last US media appearance

god willing it will be his last appearance anywhere. :D

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

the War Nerd guy is very good at explaining the intricacies of asymmetrical warfare in mountains if you have a few bucks spare and dont mind spending an afternoon listening to someone who knows what theyre talking about rather than an "expert" on CNN

What's a good War Nerd episode for this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
someone posted an hour long video of the "battle" in the dnd thread that i won't crosslink because gore features prominently at some points but holy poo poo whatever force the houthis hit is beyond incompetent to "i'm not legit sure if the commanding officers military training was limited to fortnite"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

just APC after APC loaded with militiamen driving into ambushes

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watching the video in D&D and

CODChimera posted:

Probably torched it all. They don't need that poo poo to win

You were right lol they really are just burning poo poo.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
i mean, after a point i suppose it really is just more equipment to suck gas and dilute a limited pool of spare parts

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

christ this video is the great marianas turkey shoot but for APCs

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

christ this video is the great marianas turkey shoot but for APCs

im gonna read the room and not post the timecode but for the record: im everytime a guy runs out of steam halfway through the insanely long victory chant and starts talking shop because they'd done it so many times after so many vehicle kills they just feel tired even while filming propaganda vids.

god is great. death the america. death to israel. curse the jjjjeeeeeyyyaaaaaaaaahhhh you get the idea, okay lets set up on the next hill

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DdNiQXjoz0

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
jesus christ these people fighting for the "coalition" are wearing civilian clothes and i'll eat my entire rear end if some of these captured kids are a day older than 16

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Houthis: MY LIFE A MOVIE RIGHT NOW

TrilliontonNixon posted:

You were right lol they really are just burning poo poo.

they may keep the APCs with the vulcan guns on them, because those things can shred any helicopter that gets near them.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Sep 30, 2019

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Willie Tomg posted:

jesus christ these people fighting for the "coalition" are wearing civilian clothes and i'll eat my entire rear end if some of these captured kids are a day older than 16

Yeah it's pretty hosed up. There's like maybe one uniformed Saudi for like every hundred kids in raggedy t-shirts.

You'd think that someone here in the US would go "hey maybe we shouldn't be backing a nation that uses teenagers as cannon fodder" but lol.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Quick question- is there a "right" way to get all these APCs through that sort of terrain? Cos whatever the Saudis are doing does not appear to be the correct method.

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah, it's not a great look. Where do all these teenage "soldiers" come from, anyway?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tree Bucket posted:

Quick question- is there a "right" way to get all these APCs through that sort of terrain? Cos whatever the Saudis are doing does not appear to be the correct method.

Yeah, it's not a great look. Where do all these teenage "soldiers" come from, anyway?

South Yemen, Sudan, Eritrea

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Sudan and other parts of Yemen. here are some articles to get real steamed about

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/world/africa/saudi-sudan-yemen-child-fighters.html?login=facebook

quote:

Some families are so eager for the money that they bribe militia officers to let their sons go fight. Many are ages 14 to 17. In interviews, five fighters who have returned from Yemen and another about to depart said that children made up at least 20 percent of their units. Two said children were more than 40 percent.

To keep a safe distance from the battle lines, their Saudi or Emirati overseers commanded the Sudanese fighters almost exclusively by remote control, directing them to attack or retreat through radio headsets and GPS systems provided to the Sudanese officers in charge of each unit, the fighters all said.

“The Saudis told us what to do through the telephones and devices,” said Mohamed Suleiman al-Fadil, a 28-year-old member of the Bani Hussein tribe who returned from Yemen at the end of last year. “They never fought with us.”

“The Saudis would give us a phone call and then pull back,” agreed Ahmed, 25, a member of the Awlad Zeid tribe who fought near Hudaydah this year and who did not want his full name published for fear of government retaliation. “They treat the Sudanese like their firewood.”

A few thousand Emiratis are based around the port of Aden. But the rest of the coalition the Saudis and Emiratis have assembled is united mainly by dependence on their financial aid.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2019/03/exclusive-yemeni-child-soldiers-recruited-saudi-uae-coalition-190329132329547.html

quote:

In the southern city of Taiz, Al Jazeera spoke to 16-year-old Ahmad al-Naqib and his family at the end of 2018, and the family of Mohammad Ali Hameed, 15, in February 2019. Both boys left their home, chasing promises of a regular paycheck and non-combatant roles.

Ahmad was able to flee and tell us his story, but Mohammad never made it home after he was recruited, leaving his father to tell his story.

The teenagers were first contacted by recruiters in the south's poverty-stricken villages; they were looking for young boys to take to the Saudi-Yemeni borders.

Ahmad said he and many other boys were recruited ostensibly to work in the kitchens of Yemeni military units stationed inside Saudi Arabia.

"We went because we were told we would be working in a kitchen and making 3,000 Saudi riyals ($800)... so we believed them and got on the bus," Ahmad told Al Jazeera.

Typically, a recruiter would deliver his human cargo to a trafficker at one of the Yemeni cities along the route leading up to the borders. The trafficker would then deliver the young recruits to another smuggler who would provide them with identification cards - if they did not have one - so they are able to cross into Saudi Arabia, where they would be placed into a military camp.

Al Jazeera called a trafficker, posing as a man interested in travelling to a military camp with three boys between 15 and 16 years old. The trafficker said the boys would be "bought" by someone at al-Wade'a who would provide them with military identification. After expressing concern that the boys would be turned away for being obviously underage, the trafficker said: "Don't worry, there are many just like them."

In a follow-up phone call with the trafficker about the fate of the boys, he said: "Don't worry, this stuff isn't important to us. What is important is that they are good soldiers. Can they handle guns?"

The Saudi payments to the soldiers have become increasingly significant to Sudan, where inflation has hit 70 percent and even in the capital residents line up for bread, fuel and bank withdrawals. At least nine people have been killed this month by security forces.

Darfur has furnished mercenaries to other conflicts as well.

Rebel groups who fought the Janjaweed have turned up fighting in Libya for the anti-Islamist Gen. Khalifa Hifter, according to the findings of a United Nations panel and other reports.

But far more have fought in Yemen.

The five fighters who had returned from Yemen and two brothers of fighters who died there all gave similar accounts. Sudanese jets departed Khartoum or Nyala, Darfur, carrying 2,000 to 3,000 soldiers at a time to Saudi Arabia.

They were delivered to camps inside the kingdom, where some said they saw as many as 8,000 Sudanese gathered.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Houthis also use child soldiers, but for them this is an existential conflict while the Saudis are conscripting kids from around the Arab world just so they can control the Yemeni government.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

"don't put a fireteam where you haven't put a scout, don't put a squad where you haven't put a fireteam, don't put a platoon where you haven't put a squad, don't put a company where you haven't put a platoon, don't put vehicles where you haven't put a company"

I might be reading too much into discontinuous footage that could be from a bunch of different places but it seems like the order of things are

--assaulting a series of hilltops (because high ground isn't a very big advantage in an age where flying robots can see for twelve miles in every direction, spotting for missiles that can hit a warm basketball from two miles away)
--raggedy rear end retreat
--raggedy rear end coalition counterattack "reinforcing" positions that were already lost
--shooting gallery.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's a good War Nerd episode for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ6Tzij-Pbs

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I can't handle this stuff. I have friends who've been working with Sudanese refugees, spending years teaching and running clinics and building schools. They've risked everything to help out. Meanwhile a bunch of fat corrupt millionaire failsons are sending those same kids off into battle with no shoes, all so they can boast about being a brigadier general. They're literally deploying humans like units in an RTS. Just sickening.

Willie Tomg posted:

"don't put a fireteam where you haven't put a scout, don't put a squad where you haven't put a fireteam, don't put a platoon where you haven't put a squad, don't put a company where you haven't put a platoon, don't put vehicles where you haven't put a company"

I might be reading too much into discontinuous footage that could be from a bunch of different places but it seems like the order of things are

--assaulting a series of hilltops (because high ground isn't a very big advantage in an age where flying robots can see for twelve miles in every direction, spotting for missiles that can hit a warm basketball from two miles away)
--raggedy rear end retreat
--raggedy rear end coalition counterattack "reinforcing" positions that were already lost
--shooting gallery.

Okay, that makes sense.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

given how poorly trained and how poo poo their morale is I would only try after putting the most elite division in the entire saudi army along the entire route

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drat, was way better when it wasnt child soldiers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I'm guessing that they've been planning Operation Victory of God for the better part of a year. When they occupied southern Najran earlier this year they must've mapped out all the best spots to launch an ambush from before withdrawing back across the border. Then when they were ready to launch VoG they snuck back across the border and gave the Saudis the impression that the Houthi presence wasn't significant. That's probably why they kept sending in vehicle after vehicle. Saudis have lost big all the time in Yemen but never something on this scale, usually because they're slightly more cautious expecting to engage the Houthis on their own lands, but this time they were caught completely off guard in their own turf.

At this point Ansar Allah probably knows southern Najran better than the Saudis do.

e: the guy with the captured FN F2000 @ 26:00 is extremely lmao

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 04:15 on Sep 30, 2019

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wish I could get my head around Saudi internal politics. Surely there's got to be some kind of internal reaction to losing Najran and having an oil terminal blown up and losing a big pile of troops and vehicles in their own territory.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

All the tribal leaders, capitalists, and Saudi royals must be hopping mad right now - but we're not gonna hear about it because they can't speak out in public without getting visited by the secret police.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tree Bucket posted:

I wish I could get my head around Saudi internal politics. Surely there's got to be some kind of internal reaction to losing Najran and having an oil terminal blown up and losing a big pile of troops and vehicles in their own territory.

yeah the internal logic is mbs is loving up big and they're hosed lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

At around 51:40 someone's reading off of a document with the ISIS flag on it. Anyone know what that's about?

And now they've got what looks like a captured ISIS flag? Wait, are there ISIS members in the Saudi coalition? gently caress I wish I spoke Arabic right now.

IWW Online Branch has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Sep 30, 2019