Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Goose isn't as good as BoP, a multi-format all star. That doesn't make it an uncommon. It would be overbearing in limited to have decks with multiple, and it is a very reasonable constructed card with Oko and Wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

But is Gilded Goose better than a Time Walk?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Goose is about 1/4 as good as Black Lotus

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Goose is close to as good as Birds of Paradise right now in all the formats BoP is legal in

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Goose is close to as good as Birds of Paradise right now in all the formats BoP is legal in

to be fair that's because BoP is unplayable if Wrenn and Six is popular.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I mean yes but my point still stands :colbert:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I jammed 5 color jank at my pre-release today. 3-0 before I had to drop, and I did get the Happily Ever After win once :dance:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oko is a good loving card and I think it's going to show up in Modern a fair bit in U/G creature decks (all two of them)

It's a very flexible card and it combines tokens with maindeck lifegain, answers to problematic Ensnaring Bridges and a whole host of other things U/G typically has issues with like Bobs or Dreadhorde Arcanists

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

Vannifar lives on...in my mind

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oko is a good loving card and I think it's going to show up in Modern a fair bit in U/G creature decks (all two of them)

It's a very flexible card and it combines tokens with maindeck lifegain, answers to problematic Ensnaring Bridges and a whole host of other things U/G typically has issues with like Bobs or Dreadhorde Arcanists

Would love it if this made my lovely UG Wilderness Reclamation midrange idea viable (it won't)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Having just logged back into Arena for the first time in a few days, I'm pleased to report that standard is worse than ever! :peanut:

And if T3feri was a mythic, it'd be the most expensive card in standard by an enormous margin.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I actually quite like the current standard, though I actually like playing Esper Dance of Doom. The mirror is loving weird to play, I've had opponents lose to time 2 or 3 times now.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Did a prerelease today and didn't really pull anything good in my box. Ended up running Mardu Knights. Went 0-2 first game, but the guy I played with was all "I'm just leaving after this anyway so you can have the win-- I just wanted to play a game before leaving", 2-0 the second game, 0-2 the third, and got a draw on the last game. Ended up getting a Questing Beast and a foil Murderous Rider from prize packs, so that's all right I guess.

Got a couple prerelease Arena codes from other people who don't play Arena thinking I could use more than one-- apparently you cannot, and that is lame.

So have some codes!

eaL-2ADg-8b3
yfg-sbUP-vaw

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Framboise posted:

eaL-2ADg-8b3

Grabbed this one, thank you kindly.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Framboise posted:

yfg-sbUP-vaw

Taken, thank you.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

TheDemon posted:

Taken, thank you.

gently caress, I wish my loving computer wasn't so loving lazy. :bang:
It takes a solid minute to boot from sleep, 5 minutes to load Arena, and needs to take a breather every 6 seconds while Arena is running.

Lmao, I just beat a turn 3 Oko after jamming together the remnants of my previous standard deck and parts of the current Cavalcade deck. Smug little bitch said "Good game" after dropping an Oko and making a food on turn 3 but my Scorch Spitter and Mask elemental did a whole lotta goddamn work! Judging by how little he did beyond draw cards and counter Skarrgan Hellkite, he was really counting on his planeswalkers and food-turned-elk keeping me considerably busier. Chandra Acolyte loving owns, mother of god! :tviv:

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 30, 2019

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Here have a code.

j1w-SHaG-Rjj

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Count Bleck posted:

Here have a code.

j1w-SHaG-Rjj

Much obliged. Why'd they switch up the promo code from a free sealed/draft to just packs this time around?

Also the Arena animation for Questing Beast is maybe the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

is it too soon after rotation to have an idea of what kind of good budget decks there are? i reinstalled arena today and see that 90% of the mono blue deck is rotated and a huge portion of mono red was too

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

is it too soon after rotation to have an idea of what kind of good budget decks there are? i reinstalled arena today and see that 90% of the mono blue deck is rotated and a huge portion of mono red was too
Cavalcade seems fine. With a little luck and some ill-advised tweaks such as 5-drops and 18 land, you could possibly make gold with it if you manage to dodge mono black aggro.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also the Arena animation for Questing Beast is maybe the ugliest thing I've ever seen.
And I suppose anything running Arboreal Grazer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Card ain't called Questing Supermodel

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mono black aggro is pretty decent at the moment, but it needs at least 8 rares (4x Knight of the Ebon Legion, 4x Rotting Regisaur)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Silhouette posted:

Mono black aggro is pretty decent at the moment, but it needs at least 8 rares (4x Knight of the Ebon Legion, 4x Rotting Regisaur)
At least 16 rares because Lockthwain and Hero's Downfall Rider and 4 mythics because the Cavaliers are irreplaceable.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
ajani's pridemate.dec is well-positioned for return to theros imo, and the only rare that deck really needs is linden

i think they're going to kneecap blue and black devotion and instead print literally any white card with devotion worth playing and make it good, unlike last time

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i only have four rare wildcards so anything light on rares would be preferable but i have 10 mythic wildcards because of that dumb bug i had where i only opened mythic wildcards for five or six straight packs

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

i only have four rare wildcards so anything light on rares would be preferable but i have 10 mythic wildcards because of that dumb bug i had where i only opened mythic wildcards for five or six straight packs
That is a sweet bug that I wish I was afflicted with.

Cavalcade is light-ish on rares if you still have your red aggro deck from last season. I can't recommend Skarrgan Hellkite enough.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tubgoat posted:

At least 16 rares because Lockthwain and Hero's Downfall Rider and 4 mythics because the Cavaliers are irreplaceable.

poo poo, right. I only run 3x Cavalier, though. Syr Konrad fits in nicely too, I got my first ELD standard constructed win vs Grixis control the other day because of Konrad triggering off of a Liliana, Dreadhorde General -4 making me sac a Cavalier and some other rando when the opponent was at 3 life, taking them to 1. Cav's death trigger brought back a Plaguecrafter I had in the yard, Lili died and Crafter died to itself, triggering Konrad for the final point of damage :v:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Ha, nice. I've been enjoying Chandra's Spitfire A LOT when I'm able to untap with it.
3 Cavalier is indeed likely sufficient. Oh, and then there's that loving Elf that I want to play in modern zombies.

Fake edit: An hour from now, we're gonna realise the entire deck is literally all rare or higher. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So I'm tweaking this jank pile that I brewed up to keep saving precious rare/mythic wildcards till the decks start congealing:
2 Leyline of Abundance (M20) 179
9 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Reaper of Night (ELD) 102
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
3 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
9 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Rosethorn Acolyte (ELD) 174
4 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
4 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) GR8
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151

And whenever I resolve the Murder taped to the Rider under clover, it GTG instead of exiling to adventure. Is there some interaction I'm missing, or is Arena hosed in spite of all the fanfare about leaving Beta?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Owlbear Camus posted:

And whenever I resolve the Murder taped to the Rider under clover, it GTG instead of exiling to adventure. Is there some interaction I'm missing, or is Arena hosed in spite of all the fanfare about leaving Beta?

the original cast of murderous rider's adventure needs a target to be valid, and you're doing something with the clover copy to make the original target invalid, causing it to fizzle and not resolve -- which includes the 'go-on-an-adventure exiling' part of resolving.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

flatluigi posted:

the original cast of murderous rider's adventure needs a target to be valid, and you're doing something with the clover copy to make the original target invalid, causing it to fizzle and not resolve -- which includes the 'go-on-an-adventure exiling' part of resolving.

Oh poo poo, you can 2-for-1 an Adventure spell by saccing the target??

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tubgoat posted:

Cavalcade seems fine. With a little luck and some ill-advised tweaks such as 5-drops and 18 land, you could possibly make gold with it if you manage to dodge mono black aggro.

And I suppose anything running Arboreal Grazer.

“You can possibly make gold” isn’t much of an endorsement when you can get to gold with like a 30% winrate

Also don’t put 5 drops in cavalcade and you can take it much further

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Tubgoat posted:

Oh poo poo, you can 2-for-1 an Adventure spell by saccing the target??

Yep. If the Adventure spell doesn't resolve, the creature just goes into the graveyard, since the part where the Adventure card goes into Exile is part of the effect of the spell resolving. The target becoming invalid, countermagic, just not having a target when the spell resolves- all cause the Adventure to fail and the creature to just get placed in the yard instead.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Standard is really sweet right now actually, haters gonna hate

Also, having logged into arena for the first time in forever, I really need to relearn keeping my loving hand off the clicker until I'm sure I want to click "resolve".....

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

“You can possibly make gold” isn’t much of an endorsement when you can get to gold with like a 30% winrate

Also don’t put 5 drops in cavalcade and you can take it much further
The combinstion flying and haste has pulled soooooo many wins out for me. Also I run Steam-Kin, he powers out the Hellkite. It loving owns.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

Standard is really sweet right now actually, haters gonna hate

Also, having logged into arena for the first time in forever, I really need to relearn keeping my loving hand off the clicker until I'm sure I want to click "resolve".....

People who think standard is bad are all weirdos, the teferi-oko deck is the funnest deck I've played since Drake's and phoenix back when those were good

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

People who think standard is bad are all weirdos, the teferi-oko deck is the funnest deck I've played since Drake's and phoenix back when those were good
Oh any deck with Teferi is an awful experience. I'm actually REALLY shocked he didn't kill me after I wasted my first few turns cleaning up his planeswalkers.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
small teferi defining what midrange haymakers you're allowed to play (the correct answers are 'other teferis', 'questing beast', and 'golos') is definitely superior to 'teferi emblem, exile all your stuff, teferi targeting himself so i can never deck myself, please clap'

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think there are a ton of good answers to teferi in the format now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Doom Foretold is a great answer to teferi!. Also comes down the turn after royal scions. Remember how Eldest Reborn was a good card because it made people sac 1 huge creature or a planeswalker? this is that, but cheaper, and does it every turn.