Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree on these here.

Cilantro extends life. Cilantro expands consciousness.

It's very dangerous. The Mexicans would use it to see - within. There is a place - terrifying to us. To people with the soapy taste gene. It is said: a person will come, the Coriando Eaterach. He will eat what we can not. Many have tried.

They tried and failed?

They tried and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Steve Yun posted:

It's very dangerous. The Mexicans would use it to see - within. There is a place - terrifying to us. To people with the soapy taste gene. It is said: a person will come, the Coriando Eaterach. He will eat what we can not. Many have tried.

They tried and failed?

They tried and died.

I can't not read this in Jordan Peterson's Kermit voice.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hellsau posted:

I can't not read this in Jordan Peterson's Kermit voice.

I've never heard his voice, and now I never need to.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Cut all the tomatoes out of my DWC hydroponic set up in my basement. They weren’t producing and I have 30 plants outside making a million tomatoes so I felt like getting rid of the inside ones.

That freed up space to move my apocalypse scorpion pepper plant to a more open space (the lemon jalapeño was crowding it out).

This winter I’m redoing the entire room down there to make it peppers in the tent only and herbs and lettuce in the open room.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need to see this sometime, drat.

Also I'm a bit over 5 months on HRT now. :toot:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I’m so proud of how far you’ve come. And that we all here, who are the family you choose, are the ones who get to share in your journey. Good on you.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thanks dino. dear <3. I still need to make stuff from your cookbook. But I've been good and responsible and making food on my own, in part because that's far cheaper than eating out. It's nice to make chili or curry (with Aldi sauce because it's inexpensive and tastes pretty good with some additions) and have it last for five meals.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Manuel Calavera posted:

:toot:! hope it's been going well and you've been feeling great!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Actually having feelings & emotions counts, right? Because they're cool and good to have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friends helping out during dinner parties: oh your knives are so sharp! Cutting vegetables is so fun here!

Also my friends helping out during dinner parties:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 30, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
They're helping!

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Wow they could have at least put it all in the dishwasher.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My friends helping out during dinner parties: oh your knives are so sharp! Cutting vegetables is so fun here!

Also my friends helping out during dinner parties:

MyMom.jpg

And yet, it's a total mystery how mine stay so sharp.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Help, I made chili last night and I ate way too much of the chili and I got food drunk and now I have a food hangover from all the chili what went into me. I refuse to take the blame for my excess chili consumption, someone else do it so I can be mad at you for my Actions.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Whalley posted:

Help, I made chili last night and I ate way too much of the chili and I got food drunk and now I have a food hangover from all the chili what went into me. I refuse to take the blame for my excess chili consumption, someone else do it so I can be mad at you for my Actions.

I am indeed a chili zealot, constantly preaching the chili gospel. It appears that I have over-pressured you and forced you against your will into chili excess. I am very sorry.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Whalley posted:

Freeze it, a month from now you can get drunk and microwave it and be so pleased with your foresight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Freeze all your slop foods. I got 3 quarts of curry, a quart of etouffee and soon I’m gonna have a couple quarts of shakshuka. Trade with friends whenever you get bored of your own foods

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I want to go vegetarian for a week. Is there a good easy resource for that?

edit: also I have a lot of peaches and tart apples and could use a nice recipe for those.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bert Roberge posted:

Sure thing. The key is (and this is the tough part but don't get discouraged because a lot of people have trouble with this when they first get started): don't eat any meat or meat containing foods.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bert Roberge posted:

Uhhh... what does the time period have to do with it? What kind of vegetarian cooking do you like?

Do you know how to make Dino Dal?

Bert Roberge posted:

edit: also I have a lot of peaches and tart apples and could use a nice recipe for those.

Ah, see, ask specific questions, get specific answers.

This recipe works with pretty much any fresh fruit, but my mom always made it with straight rhubarb. The important thing is to pour the batter into the pool of melted butter, so that the batter is totally surrounded by melted butter when it cooks.

Fruit Cobbler

2 cups fruit: peeled, paired, sliced (peaches, apples, rhubarb, strawberries work best)
¾ stick of butter
1 cup sugar
¾ cup milk
¾ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
dash salt
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional, depends on type of fruit)

Preheat oven to 350°
Melt butter in pan. Combine all ingredients except fruit. Pour batter into the middle of the pan with butter. DO NOT STIR!
Pour fruit into the middle of the pan. DO NOT STIR!
Bake for about 1 hour, until top is nicely browned.
Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Does fish count as meat because all my vegetarian friends eat seafood

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bert Roberge posted:

Realtalk: rice, beans, and broccoli to start, season as desired

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Well, all of my vegan friends eat honey.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

Those are pescatarians. I do that during lent.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
On a serious note, try shakshuka. I just made some this weekend and it was super delicious and it’s vegetarian

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

On a serious note, try shakshuka. I just made some this weekend and it was super delicious and it’s vegetarian

I've never had it with harissa but Alton acted like that's standard. What kind of hosed up shakshuka have I been eating up til now?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've never had it with harissa but Alton acted like that's standard. What kind of hosed up shakshuka have I been eating up til now?

IDK I've never added harissa. :shrug: I've used cayenne but that's just my go to. Shakshuka is a great lazy sunday breakfast.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Oh wow. I do tend to make shakshuka with whatever I have on hand, but I always have some harissa in the house. But then again, the next town over is a Little-Lebanon , so I have tons of choices. Its SO good with Lebanese bread, and we've got a great local baker, too.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I had the impression that there really wasn't any real "one true shakshuka" and that there are several local and regional variations all around the mediterranean. All shakshukas are good shakshukas.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DekeThornton posted:

I had the impression that there really wasn't any real "one true shakshuka" and that there are several local and regional variations all around the mediterranean. All shakshukas are good shakshukas.

Yeah to be clear I have no allegiance to the one true anything, I just had never had shakshuka with harissa even though by some accounts (maybe just Alton's?) it's standard.

The "one true" way with any food is an annoying thing, especially since many (most?) of the recipes that folks do that with are peasant recipes that are by design made with whatever is cheap and on hand. And therefore regional variations should be expected because again what's available in the summer in Africa may not be what I can get in the winter in Spain or whatever.

Also, beans in chili is ok because beans are an extender which is a perfectly valid thing to add to a cheap meal.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I wonder if the reason "peasant food", as you say, seems to attract the "one true recipe" crowd is that they can be fairly easily leartned by people who aren't great at cooking so they become fiercly protective of the one or the few things that they can do really well and that they can get a sense of superiroity from.

Apart from the fact that various italian trade associations use in their export strategies. Like how guanciale has been put forward as the "traditional" ingredient in carbonara.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I always assumed it was a benign sort of tribalism. Like how different regions love their version of BBQ sauce or whatever. Just pride in being with "your team".

Ninja edit: Well I guess there's always just being used to the way you like your food. Like I love my version of potato salad and think pretty much all others suck but that's because I've altered it to hit exactly what I like and nothing I don't.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Croatoan posted:

I always assumed it was a benign sort of tribalism. Like how different regions love their version of BBQ sauce or whatever. Just pride in being with "your team".

Sure, that is of course always there, but that doesn't really explain påeople with zero connection to the place of origin of a dish being weirdly attached to it's authenticity.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alton has a habit of declaring such-and-such is The Best Way, a bad habit he shares with ATK and Kenji.

Harissa, while not necessary, was very good though.

Alton also says to grate the tomato into the stew, to peel the skins off the bell peppers and left out the onions, which suggests to me he likes his food to be on the mono-textural side. I ignored that and put in the onions every other recipe calls for and threw in whole canned tomatoes that I mashed with a spatula.

Reading several recipes and taking bits and pieces was a good call in this case.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I put beans in my shakshuka so you know, whatever.

Always put a onion.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Alton has a habit of declaring such-and-such is The Best Way, a bad habit he shares with ATK and Kenji.

Harissa, while not necessary, was very good though.

Alton also says to grate the tomato into the stew, to peel the skins off the bell peppers and left out the onions, which suggests to me he likes his food to be on the mono-textural side. I ignored that and put in the onions every other recipe calls for and threw in whole canned tomatoes that I mashed with a spatula.

Reading several recipes and taking bits and pieces was a good call in this case.

Harissa is a good addition to shakshuka. I like berbere too sometimes. Or like, any spice blend. It's a good dish no matter what.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I tossed a couple spoonfuls of gochujang in mine last time because I wanted a bit of sweetness along with the chili flavor.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

The first time I did it, I watched Bobby Flay make one and thought to myself, hey, I have most of that in my kitchen! I just kind of winged it, and it came out awesome.

I think Bobby Flay was the first chef I recall using harissa, but that would have been... 6 years ago? I had always seen it at the middle-eastern markets, but didn't know how to use it.

Casu Marzu posted:

I tossed a couple spoonfuls of gochujang in mine last time because I wanted a bit of sweetness along with the chili flavor.

Mmm, totally legit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alton’s recipe is the fussiest one I’ve seen but once you’ve made the harissa and preserved lemons it’s enough of them for a dozen batches and makes the recipe easy each subsequent time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Casu Marzu posted:

My grandma grew up in Korea during ww2 when it was poorer than Somalia and she still forks over the equivalent of 45 usd a pound for gochujang that's less sweet (complaining about it all the while)

I mean, she's rich and so is the rest of the family now, but she cheaps out on everything else