Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

idiotsavant posted:

I feel like being fired after bringing up illegal wage theft is a great start if you want to really gently caress someone up wrt labor laws

Edit/psa: hope you’re writing everything down right now while your memory is still fresh

100% This. Write down everything related to your poo poo. Date, time, content of conversations, who you talked to, etc. Contemporaneous notes are worth their weight in gold in a court room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Absolutely ruin this guy's life (using labor laws, legally) I have taken illegal poo poo, although nothing this bad, from employers because I didn't want to rock the boat or make waves or whatever, and all that happens is they keep doing illegal poo poo and loving over the next guy.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dude was shady as hell already, but the moment he fired you was the moment you stop being Mr. Nice Guy and go get a lawyer. Dude sounds like the kind of arrogant cocksure rear end in a top hat who will gladly laugh about it in court right up until he loses but you should take as many notes as you can and try to get corroborating statements from other co-workers.

Getting your wages shorted and then fired like that is nearly "Tree-law" levels of law-court aphrodisiacs for attorneys.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The worst part about this whole scenario is that it will likely end up with a settlement that includes never talking about the outcome. So we don't get closure.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
So they should post the name of the restaurant now so that we can look it up on our own eventually :haw:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It's in Wilmington sandwich. So your area. Or state haha

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Roll of Quarters posted:

I wonder how seniority works with a brand new hotel.

Yeah everything about it sounds dope, fingers crossed that I get a call back!

Good luck. Sounds like a sweetass gig.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Unemployment is done. I'll see how the rest shakes out later

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Tell me about the stupid games and running gags you've come up with to pass the time in lovely jobs.

At my last workplace, one day we were setting up the mise en place and my coworker pointed at a nine pan full of capers and said "how long do you think it would take you to eat all of that?" We had a long and reasoned discussion about it and this became a regular question - treated on a case-by-case basis, we would entertain the idea of eating, say a whole bulk container of radishes or an entire Cambro full of crostini, either in one sitting or over the course of days, with or without condiments or other foods or water to wash it down. By a few months in, we got real absurd with it - I could just point to a busbin or a brand-new roll of saran wrap and be like, "how long?"

My coworkers at my new job - front-of-house, which I've found to be much better for my physical and mental health, not to mention my wallet - don't really seem to get the concept of 'how long?', which bugs me a bit. They're either way too optimistic (no man, you have to take this seriously, I know you couldn't eat a whole salad bowl full of lemons in five minutes) or they straight-up don't want to play.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Towel whipping. The more sudden and surprising, the better.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

When I was in school the big thing was trying to sneak a scoop full of sugar into people's back pockets.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Back of house at my current job has been infected by "the game". You know the early 2000's meme, "you can't win, you can only lose", that one. It is incredibly lame.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Sometimes I play this game where I imagine throwing myself in to the fryer while I'm stuck in the kitchen by myself for hours on end.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
Not so much anymore, but years ago we (FOH) would hook pens onto each others belt loops/apron strings/where ever and see how long it would last and how many we could get onto one person.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
Ours are simple. Just playing dodgeball with fries that need to be wasted or pickles that look funny. There's also the classic "dude this smells awful, come get a whiff".

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Science WHORE posted:

Sometimes I play this game where I imagine throwing myself in to the fryer while I'm stuck in the kitchen by myself for hours on end.

This isn't so much a group game, but I think everyone in the kitchen has played it at some point.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We used to sneak hotdogs into people's pockets and wait for them to notice and get mad. Like just barely in the pocket so it doesn't fall out, 85% of the hot dog hanging out

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

We used to sneak hotdogs into people's pockets and wait for them to notice and get mad. Like just barely in the pocket so it doesn't fall out, 85% of the hot dog hanging out

hahaha this is good

We had a similar one at the old place, because of all the extra crostini that nobody wanted, and the kitchen's proximity to the break room: We called it 'breadbagging', in which we would just sneak stale bread into people's bags and purses and bike helmets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In FOH we either just sneak drinks from the bar or poo poo talk the customers.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
When we got a Vac-Pack machine at the old place I used it on a couple of FOH employees' staff meals. I was going to steal a buddy's pack of smokes and vac-pack each individual one but that would have been a huge waste.

We had some fun with a big bag of anhydrous citric acid picked up for stupid bougie cocktails, too.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
At my old position the other closer and I had a game of "sneak the most ridiculous thing into someone's chef jacket pocket (side or front) without being caught until it is in place" Obviously someone is going to realize they have the crowns of an entire bunch of celery as their new corsage. You just had to get it there, and then admire their face. We had to stop playing once sour cream got added to the mix.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
We once dipped someone's tee-shirt in water then hung it up in the walk-in freezer, they had been complaining about the heat all day.

Granted they couldn't wear it for a few hours, but it was cool (and no damage, they found it funny eventually).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I know I posted this in one of the other industry threads way back but here it is since we're onto pranks now: The funniest new-guy hazing prank I've ever seen was when the floor manager told a new busser that at the end of the night, he had to drain the hot water from the drip coffee machine.

the machine is connected to the plumbing

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Raikiri posted:

We once dipped someone's tee-shirt in water then hung it up in the walk-in freezer, they had been complaining about the heat all day.

Granted they couldn't wear it for a few hours, but it was cool (and no damage, they found it funny eventually).

Shaping soaked towels into swords and axes and freezing them for use in later duels

Mister Speaker posted:

I know I posted this in one of the other industry threads way back but here it is since we're onto pranks now: The funniest new-guy hazing prank I've ever seen was when the floor manager told a new busser that at the end of the night, he had to drain the hot water from the drip coffee machine.

the machine is connected to the plumbing

This one is always good. Also, peeling grapes. The best one for where we are now is "plain sauce"; our kitchen is upstairs, and the stock room and walk ins are downstairs. Send someone down to get a 4 quart of plain sauce, and see how many times you can get them to go back down with more detailed instruction on where to find it (no no, it's on the back left shelf... its BEHIND the brisket... what, no. The OTHER cooler, not the the produce one...)

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 30, 2019

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Speaking of stuff in pockets once I accidentally sprayed water allover my face by bad angles while dishwashing. After the customary "gently caress!" one of the line up and said "Yeah, well my pockets are full of gravy." I think he dropped the gravy bin and did it himself but lol.

As for games in the kitchen just low key loving around. "Do you think I wash dishes while on mushroom? No? Guess we'll find out in an hour."

And another time I asked the kitchen manager on duty if I could play the knife game where you stab between your fingers. After being told no and to put the knife down, I swapped it for a spoon when their back was turned. The look on her face when she thought I was doing it with a knife was priceless.

And playing weird/bad/offensive music just to see what I could get away with. Turns out basically anything. I found out much later the customer bathrooms could hear everything I played with perfect clarity :eyepop:

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

The General posted:

And playing weird/bad/offensive music just to see what I could get away with. Turns out basically anything. I found out much later the customer bathrooms could hear everything I played with perfect clarity :eyepop:

Ha, at my last place I supplied the speaker and let everyone use it with a few rules.

1: Cardi B is an instant ban.
2: If you complain about the occasional Foo Fighters or similar being 'metal' or 'too heavy' I will play progressively heavier music until you like it (or at least pretend to).
3: No Radio. Nobody wants to hear the same 6 songs on repeat all day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raikiri posted:

1: Cardi B is an instant ban.

You're a punk rear end bitch and she would dog walk you.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Skwirl posted:

You're a punk rear end bitch and she would dog walk you.

She'd have to drug me first.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
We had a similar 'no Drake' rule in an old workplace. I broke it as often as I could. I don't even like Drake that much.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I also supplies the speakers and my only rule was don't play the same poo poo for multiple hours. Switch up the genres. I don't want to listen to rap for 8 hours and you probably don't want to listen to eurodance for 8 hours.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
One of my old places, part of our mise was filling up multiple aluminum shakers of grill seasoning (basically just seasoned salt) because the flat top was literally on the opposite end of the line from dry storage.

I usually opened, so roughly twice a month somebody went to grab a backup and shook it out to find tap water instead.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I've never done it but someone told me about using a brine syringe (for huge roasts, whole pigs, brining hams etc) to fill a bell pepper with water and then returning it to the produce bin, I imagine that would be fun.

Every once in a while I would sneak a hard-boiled egg into the brunch cook's egg container and watch him be real confused.

Most of my kitchen pranks were stuff like asking someone if they wanted chocolate and then giving them a spoon of black olive puree

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
At my old job I supplied the speakers and a tablet for music and left them there on my off days; my only rule was if I'm there, it's my music. I'd take requests but standing vetos were Honey, I'm Good, anything with more than a couple audible f-bombs, and the Beatles

here I just bring a little one and play whatever the gently caress I feel like because the line window is far enough away from the customers I can get away with it

e:

The General posted:

you probably don't want to listen to eurodance for 8 hours.
try me :colbert:

Rama of Ra
Sep 7, 2005
~Where's Sitka? Right about the middle of your thumb.~
“Hey! Chef needs his left-handed spatula to the line, stat!”

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Go get me the blue box of steam!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The General posted:

I also supplies the speakers and my only rule was don't play the same poo poo for multiple hours. Switch up the genres. I don't want to listen to rap for 8 hours and you probably don't want to listen to eurodance for 8 hours.

I would listen to Eurobeat for 8 hours. :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
The greatest game I ever played was 'keep this pack of loving animals sober enough to do the job until close'.

The bakery was some zen, though. When I got bored I'd start coming up with new muffins and danish fillings based on what we had in back stock. Went an entire month one winter without a single duplicate, much to the ongoing consternation of the customer who wanted an apple danish every day, so I started making him one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This brewpub I used to work in had a little apple pie on the dessert menu. One of the new prep cooks misread the recipe - where it said 'cinnamon', he saw 'cumin'.

We tried to pawn them off as some sort of 'Moroccan apple pie' or something equally idiotic but naturally, it didn't sell.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Science WHORE posted:

Me at Amazon sometimes but it's less "throw myself into a fryer" and more "bodysurf down a conveyer belt"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Man, all this talk about music at work has made me super aware of how much buttrock and J-pop/J-rock is on my MP3 player. I should probably diversify it some.