Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, right now we have 5 tiers of classes but very little content past the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I knew I was going to like Arcanum just by the name alone, no steamworks or obscura so far but it's still real good.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
No steampunk, just the stars and the bleakness of the planes.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

"I have all this power, but nothing to challenge me"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Not quite Saitama yet but getting there

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I bounced out of Arcanum pre-Dhrunic Wizard since I wasn't unlocking anything new, fun while the puzzle and content lasted.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
My drive to make an idle continues to grow stronger. I guess my main issue is, I can't seem to land on anything entertaining. I like games like Arcanum/Evolve but the burn out is too real with those types, whereas other types (like swarm swim) are easier to continue playing but less engaging/fun to do so.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah I've kind of bounced on and off of Arcanum. I think with more fleshing it'd be super cool. I think the biggest irk is that there are a lot of skill levels that don't do anything, even at lower levels.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

To be fair, I fee like there is already an endgame state:

Anfauglir posted:

I'm now splitting timelines to eat children for regen while adventuring this game is hilarious

is pretty much Peak Wizard, so congrats Anfauglir on being the first person to beat the game!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Your wizard groggily opens their eyes on their four poster bed, slowly realizing their robes are soaking in the blood of their victims. They smile, turn to their side, and happily fall back asleep.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

this is why i stopped taking ambien

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

ty kind sir

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I'm restarting to un-bug my thing- what did you guys do for money early on if you don't roll with trickster? I remember that being my big bottleneck for the longest time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Okay, I'm restarting to un-bug my thing- what did you guys do for money early on if you don't roll with trickster? I remember that being my big bottleneck for the longest time.

owning 5 creeping vines gives 2 gold per second when you sell the herbs. Going into air asap gives you access to the unseen servant spell for another 2 gold per second.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I see your resting/murder, and raise you

Ver.75 now. Codex Annihilus to make dungeon fights a bit easier, Expedient retreat to... Go back to dungeons below current wizard level (After running out of health/stamina) automatically? Guess we need an upgrade to do that now. :shrug:

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 29, 2019

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

owning 5 creeping vines gives 2 gold per second when you sell the herbs. Going into air asap gives you access to the unseen servant spell for another 2 gold per second.

Oh cool, that's easy enough- thanks!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Arcanuse posted:

"can you hear me? how about now"

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I know people are bad at talking but this is ridiculous

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meskhenet posted:

Whats the URL for Arcanum. all im getting are steam games ><
don't be mad because that Arcanum owns too

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
http://www.lerpinglemur.com/arcanum/

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

:vince:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Arcanuse posted:

You gotta clean the messes you leave behind, I believe

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I just loaded my game up and it bumped me back to the room at the inn, I still have all my furniture (a castleful) but even when I got to 10k gold it wouldn't let me click the Castle in the Home tab.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does magician have any advantage over witch as the t1 unlock? I wanna try something different but 'm really super-reluctant to do without the witch's OP houses.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Arcanuse posted:

Ver.75 now. Codex Annihilus to make dungeon fights a bit easier, Expedient retreat to... Go back to dungeons below current wizard level (After running out of health/stamina) automatically? Guess we need an upgrade to do that now. :shrug:

I can't get over this rate of change, I was refreshing after a few hours over the weekend and going from v55 to v65 etc

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

xiw posted:

I can't get over this rate of change, I was refreshing after a few hours over the weekend and going from v55 to v65 etc

Refresh again, it's at .94!

So these non-combat dungeons are interesting in that they give crazy good loot (ruined crypt yields gems, codices, tomes, etc. One encounter can yield up to 300g). A couple of them also have encounters that raise your skill caps on a couple skills. Crypt has one for anatomy, Treffil woods has one for spirit lore. It's like .05 per encounter but it's another way to boost max skills which is always cool.

This drat wizard game has some serious potential. I hope the dev nerfs the new focus upgrading aspect (again, it already takes twice as long to improve) because unless you're at 15+ it completely trivializes raising your skills.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Does magician have any advantage over witch as the t1 unlock? I wanna try something different but 'm really super-reluctant to do without the witch's OP houses.

Witch seems to be by far the best t1 unless arcane trickster or reanimator do anything super special.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Witch seems to be by far the best t1 unless arcane trickster or reanimator do anything super special.

Hmkay that's about what I figured, thanks! ^^

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Apparently trickster shits gems like crazy

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

witch unlocks the best house right out the gate and has some neat special perks like eating children

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

dis astranagant posted:

witch unlocks the best house right out the gate and has some neat special perks like eating children

You get that with thanophage too but it's t3 or 4

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Its going to be really good to go back to this game in a month or so with a fresh save

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I obviously don't get Arcanum

Been playing for nearly a week now (checking the game once every few hours at most) and it took until this weekend did i unlock the first T1 class, Trickster. I have no idea why that is the one i get either as i have never been "tricksy" in the game and all my upgrades are towards good and elemental things, no evil or shadow or necro related stuff. I am not interested in being a trickster so i kept playing the game for a while longer and just now i finally unlocked the second T1 class, Prestige, which requires 700 Max Research which means i need to Sublimate Lore 20 times, which means i need 600 Codices. Really looking forward to that grind. None of the other T1 classes are anywhere to be seen. I have the Inn so i have ample floor space and have bought 1 of every building that looks like it potentially could unlock new things but no more T1 classes have appeared.

I also have so many skills that i am unable to learn as i don't have skill points. I am assuming thats where some of the more interesting T1 classes are as i have not learned e.g. Pyromancy yet. (as well as Weaving, Divination, Herbalism, Charms, Animal Handling, Shadow Lore, Water Lore, Astronomy) Like half the skills i have discovered remains locked, good fun.

I also have a ton of abilities on the first page, many of which are greyed out like Tend Animals and Focus.
Its also a real mess on the first page with those orange abilities being mixed in with the clicky abilities.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 30, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Ineptitude posted:

I obviously don't get Arcanum

Been playing for nearly a week now (checking the game once every few hours at most) and it took until this weekend did i unlock the first T1 class, Trickster. I have no idea why that is the one i get either as i have never been "tricksy" in the game and all my upgrades are towards good and elemental things, no evil or shadow or necro related stuff. I am not interested in being a trickster so i kept playing the game for a while longer and just now i finally unlocked the second T1 class, Prestige, which requires 700 Max Research which means i need to Sublimate Lore 20 times, which means i need 600 Codices. Really looking forward to that grind. None of the other T1 classes are anywhere to be seen. I have the Inn so i have ample floor space and have bought 1 of every building that looks like it potentially could unlock new things but no more T1 classes have appeared.

I also have so many skills that i am unable to learn as i don't have skill points. I am assuming thats where some of the more interesting T1 classes are as i have not learned e.g. Pyromancy yet. (as well as Weaving, Divination, Herbalism, Charms, Animal Handling, Shadow Lore, Water Lore, Astronomy) Like half the skills i have discovered remains locked, good fun.

So, the advice I can give:

1) When you're bumping into a cap on Research or Gold, the best approach isn't usually based on your skills, it's based on your house. Sell some poo poo you don't need to make space for scroll cases and bookshelves and iron chests and whatever. If you can, buy a bigger house (don't even bother trying to change classes without being in the biggest house you've unlocked, IMHO). Don't be afraid to sell old furniture to upgrade to new versions (small chests to iron chests, for instance) or to get rid of poo poo you don't need immediately in order to unlock poo poo you do.

2) Once you're no longer an apprentice, check out the Pace action. It gives you arcanum, it increases your max arcanum, it gives you research... and it gives you a trickle of skill points. Start pacing. Then go watch a movie or something. Come back to the skill points you need to unlock more poo poo.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks, i had not noticed, or brushed off and forgotten, that Pace gave skillpoints.
Looks like its about 3 hours per skill point.

I did upgrade to Prestige before reading your post though which has opened up a lot more stuff to do. Upgrading to Prestige removed the predigistiation skill though, which is some real bullshit. I made 25 gold per second with that skill, now my best bet is 3 gold per second.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You can get skill points much easier from adventuring and whisper. And you're not supposed to stick that long at t0 for Predig to get so high.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you get skill points from training some other skills. it'll tell you the skill gain on mouseover

also looks like t5 classes now exist? i have the option to be a dhrunic wizard, whatever that may be

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Skill leveling gives 0,05 skillpoints so its a bit but you will run out eventually as you need 20 skill points in a skill for this to break even. Only my lore gets to 14, the rest are 5-7

None of the adventure stages i can do awards skill points. Some of the ones i have unlocked might but i cannot do them because they are out of range with the best mount i can get.

I dont have a whisper ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
You get the skill points from leveling while adventuring gives the xp for levels. Whisper is a spell that lets the dead pass on their wisdom - Requires Spirit