Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Asnorban posted:

As Schiff did that I knew it would immediately be turned against him. The report and summary of the call that the WH released was damning enough he should have just quoted those directly. He should know better than to give an easy line of attack like that, no matter how stupid it is.

Edit: I agree it was a bit over the top but didn’t mischaracterize anything. In a functioning congress it wouldn’t be something anyone had to even think about.

As far as I can tell, the only person leaning hard on mischaracterizing Schiff's little Mob boss riff there is Trump himself.

Maybe it wasn't necessary, but I don't see it harming the investigation. After all, the memo did a fine job of characterizing Trump as a tinpot Tony Soprano well before Schiff spoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah personally I don't see the value of that paraphrase. It accomplished nothing and it's like half the talking Rs have been doing is about it.

Because it was bait. The response to their weak arguments is easy:

https://twitter.com/mgerrydoyle/status/1178645046054117376

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

My wife *told* you I stopped beating her, why do you keep asking that question!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Yes, my good friend Mr. Trump did not pressure me in any way *blinking rapidly and out of sync*"

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Im a little worried that some extremely partisan chuds are going to actually think there is a civil war and maybe start attacking people. I guess I just need to be talked down, but does anyone else think it is possible that a lot of these right wing militias might do something a little more daring than taking over a nature preserve?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Slowpoke! posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1178651959051669504?s=21

Meanwhile #CivilWarSignup is trending and it’s full of people planning the Civil War like it is a Thanksgiving potluck. Trump’s team is not in control of the narrative.

Growing up in Alabama I repeatedly heard the myth as a child that families would go out with picnic blankets to watch civil war battles

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Cool, this is all normal and good

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I wonder if TrumpTV is still on the table after all of this (and what is to come). Steve Bannon and Donald Trump take on the big fake news media! Even those bastards at Fox who turned on him!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I don't think it was, but Schiff's paraphrase should be the Dems finally learning the idea of "lol u mad"

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

48 Hour Boner posted:

Leftist shark
doot do, do doot do do

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Tatsuta Age posted:

Cool, this is all normal and good

lol they've been preparing for so long, best of luck nazi scum

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Pack it up guys, case closed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hillary said she didn't do anything inappropriate with her emails, case closed!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Our Monday morning 9:30 standup meetings with our Ukrainian contract development team are gonna get weird

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

ManBoyChef posted:

Im a little worried that some extremely partisan chuds are going to actually think there is a civil war and maybe start attacking people. I guess I just need to be talked down, but does anyone else think it is possible that a lot of these right wing militias might do something a little more daring than taking over a nature preserve?

I mean it's still not a reason to panic, but they've been organizing and planning decentralized terrorism for twenty years, and the the closest thing to a code word would be the president calling for civil war.

Civil war is kinda something you can start if you believe it has started, too.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Hillary said she didn't do anything inappropriate with her emails, case closed!

Well to be fair it's been his go-to for other people's innocence too. "Putin said he didn't hack our elections! CASE CLOSED!"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ManBoyChef posted:

Why would you think that?

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Our Monday morning 9:30 standup meetings with our Ukrainian contract development team are gonna get weird

"Your updates sound great, thanks. But I'm going to need a favor, though"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Guze posted:

I don't think it was, but Schiff's paraphrase should be the Dems finally learning the idea of "lol u mad"

What was the paraphrase?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

You should probably read the tweets with those hashtags; they're not quite what you might think.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Let's just say Walmart isn't getting my money any time soon.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Growing up in Alabama I repeatedly heard the myth as a child that families would go out with picnic blankets to watch civil war battles

Living for a year and a half in Alabama, the words, "Nice to meet you, what church do you go to?" were said in earnest daily.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rinkles posted:

What was the paraphrase?

It's on the last page: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899507&pagenumber=211#post498724034

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RandomBlue posted:

Oh they'll tweet about Civil War, but half these fucks couldn't be arsed to actually shoot anyone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

liberals are undefeated in american civil wars.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

I think my New York textbook said that about the battle of Bull Run (???)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah personally I don't see the value of that paraphrase. It accomplished nothing and it's like half the talking Rs have been doing is about it.

you can't ever shut them up entirely and this is not a winning argument for them

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
There is no (zero) point to looking for the magic combination of words that will make Fox report the unvarnished truth and turn your racist uncle woke. It doesn't matter what you say or do, because the right chooses to devaluate words and reason. You can't win an argument with such people, because the only reason they care about logic is that it gives them a weapon to use against people who do believe in it. What is true is what they believe and any confrontation with reality will devolve into a retreat into that belief.

So stop trying and telling people they should. There's no point in attempting to appease the right. They'll twist whatever you say, and if what you say can't be twisted, they'll just lie about what you said.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

It’s not like they would have been okay with the inquiry if Schiff hadn’t paraphrased.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

With all this civil war talk, I have some notes from The War On Everyone:

quote:

During this time, in the late 1970’s, Louis Beam was very active…Started Camp Polar, a paramilitary training camp in Oklahoma, where white supremacists instructed Explorer Scouts for civil war with the left, blacks, and Jews, homosexuals, and communists, etc…Parents of the children were outraged when they learned their 15-19 year old kids were learning paramilitary techniques and racial slurs at the camp. Training and loading using live ammunition. During these years there was less daylight between military and extremist groups, kkk membership wasn’t explicitly forbidden…many joined both…weapons smuggling also was common in the direction of extremist groups…Oregon stand-off is a more modern example of this history playing out…

quote:

Louis Beam admitted he set had up computer bulletin boards for different fascist groups around the country, but denied the boards were used for any illicit communication. He said he was changing his daughter’s diapers when the reported meeting that created the Order took place. He ended one speech in his defense with an almost word for word recitation of something he’d written in Essays of Klansman, that he’d written about the protesters he encountered at home:

“As I sat there watching the flag disintegrate, rage and bitterness began to engulf me. The flames consuming the flag changed to flames enveloping an armored personnel carrier in the hobo woods north of Saigon. The cheers of the demonstrators became the screams of a 19 year old solider over his radio as he burned to death, trapped inside what was fast becoming his coffin. The clapping of hands as the flag fell to the ground, became the deafening roar of my M60 machine gun as I literally melted the barrel in an attempt to pin the enemy down long enough for the dying soldiers friends to reach him. Finally, at last, came the laughter of those demonstrators as they spit on the ashes at their feet, blending in my mind with the sobs of grown men as I remembered the armored personnel carrier, disappearing in a ball of orange flame.”—Louis Beam

After seven weeks of trial, Louis Beam and all of his fellow defendants, were found not guilty of seditious conspiracy. They were released, free to return to their movements. The justice department had taken its shot at the intellectual center of white supremacism—they’d failed. Ultimately, it didn’t come from law enforcement’s unwillingness to prosecute nazi revolutionaries, but from ordinary white Americans who sympathized with these men. Men who billed themselves as warriors against communism, and patriotic Americans. The leaders of the white supremacist had gotten off mostly scot-free, but the court battle and months on the lam had aged them all horribly. Richard Butler’s influence would gradually fade as he returned to Idaho. Louis Beam would continue to be influential, but he was much quieter and careful from now on. The heat brought on by the crackdown had forced Beam to retire his inter-Klan newsletter and survival alert: the last issue contained an essay by an unknown author, probably Beam:

“The second american revolution will be a revolution of individuals, a revolution without exact precedent in recorded history, because individuals can accomplish complex acts of resistance without peril or betrayal or even detection by the most advanced snooping devices. Missions formerly assigned to groups may be undertaken by individuals equipped to fight alone.”—Louis Beam

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
The #civilwarsignup hashtag seems to be some #resistance grifter circlejerk.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Imagine what those Civil War letter readings would sound like with today’s technology and language updates

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

bobjr posted:

Imagine what those Civil War letter readings would sound like with today’s technology and language updates

Well they'd select the most eloquent ones today as they did then, and leave all the "Trator tory scum poo poo rear end" letters in a bin just the same.

lol there was a congressman who went too close to the Bull Run battlefield and ended up a POW for a few years. They went to check it out the first time because they'd spent so much time fantasizing about it and talking that way. Turns out war was ugly and they didn't like it after that.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 30, 2019

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Civil War potluck, awesome!

I'll bring the pineapple upside-down cake, who's got the cobb salad?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/brad_stay/status/1178638696918073346?s=21

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"Dear Lily, I hope the war finds you well

The Battle of Arby's continues without a clear victor. General Liam has retreated to the restroom and refuses to leave. Supplies of vape have been cut off and we have little hope of rescue, as a battalion of normies were sighted just south of the used car lot. Pray for me.

Yours,

Chuck"

Edit: gently caress, beaten

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?

:eng101: This was true for the first battle of Bull Run, but it was people from DC who expected the south to quickly get their rear end kicked and the war to be over almost immediately. After the battle turned I believe the spectators were forced to flee and the whole picnic-ing at war battles fad dropped rapidly in popularity.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

osker posted:

Pack it up guys, case closed.

Extremely mob lawyer voice: "The shop keeper said he was under no (zero) pressure to purchase protection services. Case closed!"

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

"Dearest Abigail,

I am writing this last, desperate tweet to you. My fingers are number from posting #MAGA and talking AR-15 selfies, but the libtards keep subtweeting

Know that my account perishes for your freedom"

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

RandomBlue posted:

Meh, this will just be more excuses to randomly shoot people who are brown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
There are a lot of Civil War / Treason topics trending and they are all full of people making jokes.

Either Twitter canned a bunch of Pro-Trump bots or the real people are somehow drowning out the fake people this time. Either way, Trump is not in control of the narrative. He is flailing.