Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Women are too emotional to be President, get me the guy in a perpetual rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Growing up in Alabama I repeatedly heard the myth as a child that families would go out with picnic blankets to watch civil war battles

I don't think thats a myth. They did for the first battle anyway.
ah hell beaten already. Anyway i would not expect any cross state organization or formation of a government. Civil war 2 is just gonna be an increase of chud terrorism.

WorldsStongestNerd fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 30, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bobjr posted:

Imagine what those Civil War letter readings would sound like with today’s technology and language updates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6iTna8kXQE

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jeff flake published an editorial that was very concerned, but it did note (a) what trump did was absolutely impeachable based on the evidence made public alone; (b) you can't support trump's re-election and republican senators should look to their soul

so all in all it wasn't half bad

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1178667097934716929

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Trump has claimed to not have said things that were verbatim quotes of poo poo he's said on video, was always going to lie about what was said. The first line of the narcissist's prayer is "That didn't happen" for a reason.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Groovelord Neato posted:

why even have mccarthy or any of these people on. they're just going to repeat the talking points. they're just going to lie to you.

TV News producers and anchors have the ridiculous belief that they are going to reenact Frost/Nixon on the air. They are fully convinced that they live in a text adventure game, and if they ask the right questions in the right order then their guest will be forced to answer truthfully.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

evilweasel posted:

jeff flake published an editorial that was very concerned, but it did note (a) what trump did was absolutely impeachable based on the evidence made public alone; (b) you can't support trump's re-election and republican senators should look to their soul

Jeff Flake doing his "I am consciousness-man" act again? Boy I can't wait for him to not do any actual poo poo at all, as usual.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Growing up in Alabama I repeatedly heard the myth as a child that families would go out with picnic blankets to watch civil war battles

They did at First Manassas, sort of. Beaten to a pulp by this point, but yeah since the battlefield was a seven hour ride south from Washington civilians actually did turn out and bring food. Goes to show DC never has been much in touch with reality.

Another Manassas fun fact - Union forces deployed aerial reconnaissance for the first time using a balloon called Enterprise

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 30, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

Jeff Flake doing his "I am consciousness-man" act again? Boy I can't wait for him to not do any actual poo poo at all, as usual.

he's no longer a senator, so if you're waiting for him to do actual poo poo in the senate you definitely will be waiting a long time :v:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Slowpoke! posted:

Either Twitter canned a bunch of Pro-Trump bots or the real people are somehow drowning out the fake people this time. Either way, Trump is not in control of the narrative. He is flailing.

I’d be kinda surprised if they could bot/sock puppet their way out of a trending joke. Bots are great for blowing smoke or discrediting a position, but they seem like a pretty blunt instrument.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

he's no longer a senator, so if you're waiting for him to do actual poo poo in the senate you definitely will be waiting a long time :v:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

That makes this poo poo even worse, him growing the flabbiest of spines after he could have done a poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Good for him I guess but showing backbone long after it matters is a token gesture

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Jeff Flake voted to confirm a rapist to the Supreme Court despite having nothing to gain or lose because he wasn't seeking re-election. This editorial, while nice, is tainted by him being a sentient garbage pile posing as a human.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Junior G-man posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

That makes this poo poo even worse, him growing the flabbiest of spines after he could have done a poo poo.

well, the spine he grew was just big enough to be anti-trump enough he didn't run in his own primary, which resulted in his seat now being occupied by a democrat, so all in all, the senate seat is now in good hands!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So, uh, is now an appropriate time to set an over/under on someone else swearing in as President? I think I'd set it at 12:01AM Thanksgiving Day at this point.

Dude is absolutely falling apart in real time.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1178655208643141632?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Hell yes, a new episode of Wohl/Burkman has finally dropped.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the fact that they never got prosecuted for trying to suborn a false accusation against mueller baffles me

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Tayter Swift posted:

So, uh, is now an appropriate time to set an over/under on someone else swearing in as President? I think I'd set it at 12:01AM Thanksgiving Day at this point.

I'll take the over. He isn't leaving voluntarily.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

the fact that they never got prosecuted for trying to suborn a false accusation against mueller baffles me

what's the statute of limitations on that

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

We already know that he doesn't know what hyphens are.

I think, just maybe, he thinks parentheses work like hyphens. Or at least commas, which he's also not known for expertise in.

The president of the United States.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

The only plausible ways that under wins is if he dies or strokes out into a vegetative state.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1178657775439757312

Ahahaha welp.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

The only plausible ways that under wins is if he dies or strokes out into a vegetative state.

i bet if he strokes out into a vegetative state pence only takes power as acting president rather than formally getting sworn in, because trump's base won't believe dear leader isn't gonna wake up

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Trump's impeachment looks inevitable. The crazier he gets and the more he flails the worse the situation gets for him and the less power over the narrative the GOP has.

The civil war comments were a massive misstep and the arrest of treason one as well seem to not be playing well with sitting house members, much less Senators.

I feel the whole thing is starting to crack apart.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Maybe it is a math problem and the no(zero) crosses each other out.

He was telling the truth all along!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

well, no we don't, but its not gonna happen anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rigel posted:

well, no we don't, but its not gonna happen anyway.

WE don't. TRUMP does, at least if he wants the blackmail tapes to say secret.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Ways And Means Mulling Release Of Trump Tax Whistleblower Complaint

The other whistleblower complaint involving President Trump may be released.

Ways and Means Committee Chair Rep. Richard Neal (D-MA) said on Friday that he has consulted House attorneys about releasing the complaint, which his committee received in July. Bloomberg first reported the remarks on Friday.

The complaint purportedly comes from a federal employee and focuses on allegations of impropriety in the Internal Revenue Service’s mandatory audit of Trump’s tax returns.

Speaker of the House Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) tasked Neal — as well as five other committee heads — last week with providing evidence to the House Judiciary Committee as part of an impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

Neal has sued to obtain six years of Trump’s personal and business tax returns, after Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin refused to comply with a legal demand from the Ways and Means chair for the tax information.

The chair’s mulling whether or not to release the complaint comes after House Intelligence Committee Chair Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA) released a whistleblower complaint purportedly documenting Trump’s pressure campaign on the Ukrainian government to manufacture helpful political information.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/ways-and-means-mulling-release-of-trump-tax-whistleblower-complaint

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Rigel posted:

At this point I'd be comfortable saying there's a 50/50 chance of either of those happening in two months so... yeah.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

Is this accurate? Would it be a yuge breach of diplomatic protocol if we ignored them and publish them anyway? Or is this them trying to keep investigators from Russia_crimes/*.flac ?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

CHEF!!! posted:

Is this accurate? Would it be a yuge breach of diplomatic protocol if we ignored them and publish them anyway? Or is this them trying to keep investigators from Russia_crimes/*.flac ?

No, we don't have to do poo poo that Putin says. Now in practice we should probably at least use some fuckin' discretion but that's out the window and gone.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

"Nothing to see here! No, you can't see them, because there's nothing on them!"

I don't get it--is Putin doing this to remind Trump who he belongs to, or is he doing this in the hopes that Trump's contrarian nature will kick in and release the transcripts?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

CHEF!!! posted:

Little of both, really. Under normal circumstances heads of state aren't saying things to each other that they desperately want to keep secret though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CHEF!!! posted:

It would be normal for these sort of talks not to have a transcript released, and it would probably be a violation of diplomatic protocol to make a discussion public that was not intended to be released publicly (a readout would usually be released). But in this particular circumstance it's also the latter.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

At this point I'd be comfortable saying there's a 50/50 chance of either of those happening in two months so... yeah.

If you put it at Thanksgiving Day in 2020, I'd agree. Crazyass old people whose brainworms have very little brain left to eat can stubbornly hang on, screaming and ranting, for quite a long time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

"Nothing to see here! No, you can't see them, because there's nothing on them!"

I don't get it--is Putin doing this to remind Trump who he belongs to, or is he doing this in the hopes that Trump's contrarian nature will kick in and release the transcripts?

Putin's goal is, most likely, to fan the flames. Putin's goal isn't supporting Trump, it's using Trump to try to destabilize the American political system and thereby let Russia roll back US influence around the world. Trump is a means to an end.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

CHEF!!! posted:

They don't need to be published to the public, they need to be made available to Congress. As much as I want to laugh at fat orange baby bootlicking Putin via phone transcriptions I'm not sold that we want to start making these calls public record.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

CHEF!!! posted:

Feels like they're just trolling. I doubt they care one way or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This wouldn't even stop Trump from doing it.