Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Is that one when he was throwing paper towels at people?

That might've been the scandal in the NFL where the Saints (I think) were offering players "bounties" for targeting specific opposing players during games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Guze posted:

There already was a Bountygate. Get a different name morans!

Ok ok, what about "Deflate-gate" since the libs' morale will be deflated after this latest revelation?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Amazing that there are people who’d rather go to war than just admit to themselves that President Crimes is actually committing the crimes that he that he said he committed on live tv.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rime posted:

The best part of being on the west coast is being able to shovel insanity into my face from the moment I wake up, because dementiaprez has already been ranting for hours by that point. :allears:

You lucky bastard. I’m at least 6 hours ahead of American goons so first half of the day is just slow moving derails and no new crazy news until way into the afternoon.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CubanMissile posted:

Amazing that there are people who’d rather go to war than just admit to themselves that President Crimes is actually committing the crimes that he that he said he committed on live tv.

The lengths people will go to to avoid having to admit wrongdoing is infinite and unsurprising.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

See just appending the word “gate” to any object of scandal as a short hand is dumb and this is just one reason why. Another is that “Watergate” does not refer to a scandal about water.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

CubanMissile posted:

It has nothing to do with admission, those people have had a hardon for ethnically cleansing their own country for decades. This is just the excuse they've been waiting for.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

See just appending the word “gate” to any object of scandal as a short hand is dumb and this is just one reason why. Another is that “Watergate” does not free to a scandal about water.

Imagine if everyone had caught "___gate" fever in the early 90s, we'd have had "Whitewatergate"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DotyManX posted:

:eng101: This was true for the first battle of Bull Run, but it was people from DC who expected the south to quickly get their rear end kicked and the war to be over almost immediately. After the battle turned I believe the spectators were forced to flee and the whole picnic-ing at war battles fad dropped rapidly in popularity.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Specifically Diddy Kong, I love that little guy.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

ought ten posted:

The bounty in this case is the money they’re offering for dirt? So in this case bounty-gate is when Wohl shows up with a suitcase of Monopoly money and without pants?

Where are they getting $50k? Doesn't Wohl owe a $30k restitution for his financial crimes?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Angry_Ed posted:

The lengths people will go to to avoid having to admit wrongdoing is infinite and unsurprising.

In completely unrelated circumstances I came to a conclusion a while ago that one of the most key milestones of emotional maturity is being able to admit having been wrong—indeed, realizing that admitting you were wrong makes you better liked than having a perfect track record of being right all the time.

Many, many people never reach that milestone in their entire lives. They will go to their graves thinking it's better to have never admitted to being wrong about anything than the alternative, even if it's resulted in a lifetime of their being shunned and ostracized and treated like a pariah by every social circle and relationship they've ever been in. They think being right still makes them more popular and cool than if they ever were known to be wrong.

It's a difficult hump to get yourself over, but it's kind of a prerequisite for what I consider "being a grown-up". By that token there are a lot of 25-year-olds who have advanced a lot farther in their humanity than a lot of 80-year-olds.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 30, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ogmius815 posted:

See just appending the word “gate” to any object of scandal as a short hand is dumb and this is just one reason why. Another is that “Watergate” does not refer to a scandal about water.

yeah but at this point it's about as useful as complaining about the misuse of the word literally

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

my bony fealty posted:

underrated post. as bad as everything Trump and his Executive cronies have done is, none of it would be possible without full cover from the rest of the GOP that's been given.

I place more blame on the degradation of democracy in this country at the feet of McConnell than anyone else, by miles. Trump's a criminal being explicitly allowed to get away with his crimes by the people who should be checking them.

the legislative branch has been slowly shuffling their power over to the executive brance over many years. Mcconnell is just that personified.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ogmius815 posted:

"Chocoholic"

Angry_Ed posted:

Imagine if everyone had caught "___gate" fever in the early 90s, we'd have had "Whitewatergate"

Are you joking? This came within a hair's breadth of sticking as the official name.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Angry_Ed posted:

This in fact happened and the “Watergate”-sounding name was probably one of the reasons the Republicans focused on whitewater to begin with.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Another Republican has gotten sick of being in the minority. Its R+33 though, so not a likely pickup.

https://twitter.com/bbcott/status/1178681897913901056

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Bubbacub posted:

Where are they getting $50k? Doesn't Wohl owe a $30k restitution for his financial crimes?

From the very successful private investigator agency Jacob runs, obviously! :downs:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

TulliusCicero posted:

From the very successful private investigator agency Jacob runs, obviously! :downs:

Jacob Wohl discovered one weird trick to get his financial services licenses reinstated and it involves a Presidential pardon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Rigel posted:

Another Republican has gotten sick of being in the minority. Its R+33 though, so not a likely pickup.

Man, there is something going on in the state of Texas though. How many GOP Reps from Texas aren't seeking reelection? This has to be like 5 or 6, right?

But yeah, not only is that district R+33, in the last 2 presidential elections it is the most GOP partisan district in the entire country.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

DotyManX posted:

:eng101: This was true for the first battle of Bull Run, but it was people from DC who expected the south to quickly get their rear end kicked and the war to be over almost immediately. After the battle turned I believe the spectators were forced to flee and the whole picnic-ing at war battles fad dropped rapidly in popularity.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/was-first-battle-bull-run-really-picnic-battle-180964084/

Sounds like it was really just politicians, journalists, and those who were selling them food.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rigel posted:

TX-13 is the Panhandle and northwest Texas. Some of its counties are R+100, as in no Democratic Party and nobody willing to vote in a Democratic primary.

Although there is one deep blue county - Foard County on the Oklahoma border never got the memo post-Reagan and still votes Solid South. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foard_County,_Texas

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 30, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mahoning posted:

Man, there is something going on in the state of Texas though. How many GOP Reps from Texas aren't seeking reelection? This has to be like 5 or 6, right?

But yeah, not only is that district R+33, in the last 2 presidential elections it is the most GOP partisan district in the entire country.

texans have glass jaws

the "don't mess with texas" line is because it's really mean to mess with them because they just can't handle it

the entire texas republican delegation is resigning because having to be in the minority is breaking them

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

evilweasel posted:

the entire texas republican delegation is resigning because having to be in the minority is breaking them

Also they make less money in bribes in the minority than they do in business shenanigans back in Texas.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Missed opportunity for Yellowwatergate, tho.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

A thought just came to mind:

Once the Trump ship starts really sinking, there might be a point where Wohl, O'keefe, or another similar con artist make a real attempt at baiting Trump and/or his admin in an effort to come out of this mess as a hero. One can always dream, right?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

OddObserver posted:

Missed opportunity for Yellowwatergate, tho.

There's still time!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Aramis posted:

Once the Trump ship starts really sinking, there might be a point where Wohl, O'keefe, or another similar con artist make a real attempt at baiting Trump and/or his admin in an effort to come out of this mess as a hero. One can always dream, right?

I'm not sure I'd be "dreaming" about Wohl et al trying to redeem themselves, especially considering they never will.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Aramis posted:

their idea of coming out of the mess "a hero" is to stick with dear leader until the end as loudly and visibly as they can and try and parlay that into a lifetime sinicure on the wingnut welfare circuit

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Isn't Wohl in process of being tried for financial crimes, or am I getting my grifters confused?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump supporter gets what's coming to him for his corruption

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1178689710597775360

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Wohl is so insanely dumb that he would only accelerate Trump love if the ship starts sinking.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

An attorney for Zarsky, the father of Collins' son's fianceé, declined to comment.

I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1178690708317716481

interesting, both in substance and in the phrasing ("no choice" makes me think he's anticipating a push by Trump to just ignore it)

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

evilweasel posted:

interesting, both in substance and in the phrasing ("no choice" makes me think he's anticipating a push by Trump to just ignore it)

The worlds maddest boy won't like that.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

There's also an insane intra-party power struggle going on in the Texas GOP. The tea party nut jobs that a lot of these useless congressional reps owe their job to is on the way out and for reasons nobody can figure out the moderate speaker of the TX House was conspiring with the far right nut to knife some fellow GOP members. The US House reps' campaigning support structures are probably fractured right now.

If that wasn't enough the state gerrymandering has aged and demographics have shifted to the point that with an anti-trump wave election the democrats could potentially take back the TX House. If that happens the updated US Representative districts aren't going to have the R+40 gerrymandering that these nuts depend on to get elected.

poo poo is really strange.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

evilweasel posted:

Trump probably a) already asked him and b) did it in front of enough people that they couldn't pretend it didn't happen

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope that when the whistleblower is giving testimony the committees let them use a pseudonym.

Something like one of the names Bart prank calls Moe with. Can't wait for a Trump tweet ranting about how "Mya Butte is a mess!"

Surely they would just be given a choice between John Miller, John Baron, and David Davidson.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

There's also an insane intra-party power struggle going on in the Texas GOP. The tea party nut jobs that a lot of these useless congressional reps owe their job to is on the way out and for reasons nobody can figure out the moderate speaker of the TX House was conspiring with the far right nut to knife some fellow GOP members. The US House reps' campaigning support structures are probably fractured right now.

If that wasn't enough the state gerrymandering has aged and demographics have shifted to the point that with an anti-trump wave election the democrats could potentially take back the TX House. If that happens the updated US Representative districts aren't going to have the R+40 gerrymandering that these nuts depend on to get elected.

poo poo is really strange.

R+40 is, virtually by definition, not a gerrymandered district (at least, not one gerrymandered in favor of republicans)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

evilweasel posted:

I have no doubt whatsoever that McConnell is loving dying to stab Trump in the back. I think he's hedging his bets here so that he actually has the opportunity if the polling looks good.

I really didn't think there was even a 1% chance that Trump would be removed, but his breakdown following the impeachment inquiry announcement has been so complete that I don't know what to think anymore. I still don't think there's a good shot of it happening, but I can't believe that I can actually picture a scenario where Republican senators defect against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1178693921167364097