Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

that's some hosed up white people yams isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

WITCHCRAFT posted:

that's some hosed up white people yams isn't it

Looks like, but I didnt know that was a white people thing. Yams are sweet enough...dont need that poo poo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

uber_stoat posted:

excessive amounts of mayo really get to me. here's a repost of a thread classic.

Nice bukkacake.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The virgin chopped yam casserole Vs the Chad pecan and mashed yam casserole

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Sep 30, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wh

get those loving marshmallows out of there

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MariusLecter posted:

The virgin chopped yam casserole Vs the Chad pecan and mashed yam casserole

have and would again

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oooooh, it's toasted marshmallows... All I could see was a close-up of pomegranate membrane/skin

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I thought it was mould.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Has it, uhhhh been banished to the Phantom Zone by Superman?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mayo is not food :barf:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pookah posted:

Oooooh, it's toasted marshmallows... All I could see was a close-up of pomegranate membrane/skin

:agreed: when I first saw it, it looked like weird craters. sometimes it still does for a split second

I'm sure it was delicious but the combination of the awful picture plus putting it in a grey void just made me laugh

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Data Graham posted:

Has it, uhhhh been banished to the Phantom Zone by Superman?

KNEEL BEFORE YAM

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Mayo is not food :barf:

It has proteins and fat (and I think in Asia it has sugar too) so it's food.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It has proteins and fat (and I think in Asia it has sugar too) so it's food.

The people I know who eat the most mayo in my experience are fitness nuts.

Fitness nuts in their MOUTH

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no, an emulsion of eggs and oil! I am undone!

I don't use it for much, and obviously it'd be gross to eat a spoonful of, but what the hell goons?

Mayo is a slenderman from the deep ocean.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I don't know, I eat mayo in a similar way to ketchup or mustard. Or curry sauce or A1. Or

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

That's a paper wasp nest on a piece of mylar insulation and I will not be convinced of anything otherwise.

Also, why do people add sweetener to sweet potatoes? Their natural sweetness is part of why we eat them. Pecans, I get and wholeheartedly support, but adding sugar or syrup or whatever? And you can gently caress right off with those marshmallows. Really, the best way to serve them in my opinion is low and slow in the oven, don't foil wrap that poo poo let it roast in the skin, and serve with a small pat of butter and a pinch of salt. Don't make it complicated.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I have a bit of a soft spot for the sweet potatoes I had growing up, which were slightly candied with brown sugar. Get that marshmallow poo poo outta here.

That said,

Mushika posted:

Also, why do people add sweetener to sweet potatoes? Their natural sweetness is part of why we eat them. Pecans, I get and wholeheartedly support, but adding sugar or syrup or whatever? And you can gently caress right off with those marshmallows. Really, the best way to serve them in my opinion is low and slow in the oven, don't foil wrap that poo poo let it roast in the skin, and serve with a small pat of butter and a pinch of salt. Don't make it complicated.

:hellyeah:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mushika posted:

Also, why do people add sweetener to sweet potatoes? Their natural sweetness is part of why we eat them.
Why do apple pies have sugar in them? Apples are already sweet!!!!

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Scarodactyl posted:

Okay, that's a fair point. I guess I just really like sweet potatoes on their own and don't feel the need for folks to go messin' with them. That's just me.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

Scarodactyl posted:

Not cooking apples!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I have a feeling this is a thread grenade, but...

Pie crust sucks. It's just bad, it tastes like flour and shortening and nothing. It serves only as a filling conveyance, is only partially enjoyable on the bottom, and the hard browned edge is just inedible.

Graham cracker/gingersnap crust is good though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

Pie crust sucks. It's just bad, it tastes like flour and shortening and nothing. It serves only as a filling conveyance, is only partially enjoyable on the bottom, and the hard browned edge is just inedible.

Yeah well no

As I've grown older I've gone from "yay filling, gently caress crust" to "oh boy, crust!"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

I've determined that the crust is why I don't care for pies.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Person who's never actually eaten a pie crust cooked by someone who knew what they were doing spotted. Pie crust shouldn't have shortening, and if it is cooked it doesn't taste like flour. Sounds like you've eaten ones that weren't blind baked and were burned, all from a lovely recipe (or store bought).

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

"OOF" said the pie

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Correctly made pie crust tastes nothing like what you described.

Get a pie with a crust that is made correctly and report back.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I was right!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Brawnfire posted:

I was right!

Not sure you'd have got a huge return on that bet tbh

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

I was right!

The Puppetmaster

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Not sure you'd have got a huge return on that bet tbh

I was mostly curious if framing it as a thread grenade would quell the reaction, but it did not! Ahh, anti-food thread, you'll always be my source for divided opinions.

But really, I've had so many pies from so many places. Homemade, diners, stores, "the best pies in Rochester" at various restaurants and bakeries. It's always sort of bland, at best it tastes decently buttery, but it's always just a bad joke compared to what's inside. I'm not gonna say there's no good crust out there but drat, if there is it's so small a percent of what's on offer it's like seeking out a unicorn.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

But really, I've had so many pies from so many places. Homemade, diners, stores, "the best pies in Rochester" at various restaurants and bakeries. It's always sort of bland, at best it tastes decently buttery, but it's always just a bad joke compared to what's inside. I'm not gonna say there's no good crust out there but drat, if there is it's so small a percent of what's on offer it's like seeking out a unicorn.

Maybe you just don't like pie

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Dave Grool posted:

Maybe you just don't like pie

Well of course not!

The crust sucks!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Dont feed the troll pie crust, he hates it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Obligatory

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/03/pie-verus-cake-scientific-approach.html

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The outer ring of crust on most pies is bad. The underneath and top crust on most pies are good.

The outer ring can also be good, but that is a rare and exceptional pie.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
the point of pie is the nice crispy crust mixing with the gooey filling and giving it some texture and structure, goddamn goons, how are y'all eating pie

eat pudding or cobbler if you don't want the crust

also please blind bake your crusts, it's night and day

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pie crust can benefit significantly from Maillard reaction related awesomeness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The outer crust is the only part worth eating :colbert: