Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diego is better realized as a complete character in general. dio is fine enough and there's enough to grab on to but he wouldn't work in a lot of scenarios while diego's more rounded and has more for people to understand why he is the way he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It was kinda nice that he actually felt hesitant about killing Johnny. He was also useful to Diego in that fight, but him actually being disturbed about possibly killing Johnny was interesting.

Shame about that feeling not being mutual, tho

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Diego isn't Determined and hey, one of them is still alive so

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

BaDandy posted:

It was kinda nice that he actually felt hesitant about killing Johnny. He was also useful to Diego in that fight, but him actually being disturbed about possibly killing Johnny was interesting.

Shame about that feeling not being mutual, tho

Johnny being 100% bout that action is a nice contrast to his original universe counterpart

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Johnny was absolutely ready to throw hands at Diego before the whole dinosaur thing and it just got worse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also, because this is something never actually mentioned, Lucy currently has been bequeathed a Stand by Jesus: Ticket to Ride. It was the thing that let her turn her tears into shivs, is the reason her escape from being MADE DOCILE LIKE A WINTER CATFISH went so perfectly, and is the divine intervention that saved the message she left on that piece of fabric. It also covers her in robot armor because sure, why not.

Love Train is basically Ticket to Ride and D4C fusing their powers into "nothing bad crosses this line".

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So going into the final week, just out of interest do we still have any first timers reading along? At this point I get the impression it's all manga thread vets still reading, any thoughts or perspectives from otherwise?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm a first timer but I got impatient and read it all so I didn't want to accidentally post spoilers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually dunno how many new people got into it but at least we went through with it, i guess :unsmith:

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

First timer here.

It owns.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

multijoe posted:

So going into the final week, just out of interest do we still have any first timers reading along? At this point I get the impression it's all manga thread vets still reading, any thoughts or perspectives from otherwise?

i'm a first timer!!!

unfortunately i am very critical of the whole thing so far!

i think it's one of my least favorite parts in all of jojo :(

i feel wrong saying that in the face of the universal praise for this section. I really thought I would like it more.

I think it comes down to not liking johnny's participation? He really comes off as the second banana to Gyro, even more dramatically than giorno ever did in part 5. His stand is kinda neat but super boring too? It hasnt felt like he's been very heroic or effective so far and i guess i kinda am looking for that from a jojo? I know the story's meta thing is about how he's making a big comeback, but it feels like his progression has been too slow for my liking.

Joseph is my favorite jojo for a lot of reasons and many of them come down to his brashness and comedic timing. he goes around flexin and making poo poo happen. Johnny's just kinda a plus one where things happen to him more than he is making things happen in the world.

The art is spectacular, and several fights have been memorable, especially the diego fights, so i'm still satisfied, but not on the level of most of you.

I really dislike the race being left behind as a focus, and im not really a fan of the whole collect a corpse idea, nor how its used with poor lucy.

i hate to be such a sourpuss :(

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

As a fellow person who hates being a negative voice, I get you. My thoughts on the whole 2nd half of D4C and Love Train are "Love the concept, hate the execution".

If it helps, I do think this very final week is fan-loving-tastic, so maybe you'll like that more?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm looking forward to it!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It's very normal to think of Gyro as more of the protagonist, that's a pretty common opinion. It's one I've help until the re-read now, too. Johnny's growth is more subtle than Gyro's, and he doesn't quite take the spotlight from him as much as he turns it from the race to the corpse part hunt.

My personal complaint that I don't think I'll ever truly look past, is that for the amount of emphasis that Araki initially put on the horse part of the horse race, the horses themselves are never really given much attention. The most we got was being told that Johnny picking an older workhorse was a good idea for a long-term endurance race and a bit with Diego being able to figure out other horses' ticks and fancies. Other than that and the occasional "we shouldn't tire the horses" the manga never really pays them any atention.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I like Johnny’s “trying to get to zero” monologue. It’s a nice bit of characterization, showing how he sees the world and his place in it

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I really love how compelling all the characters are in this part. Rereading it has made me like Diego more than DIO.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i definitely don't want it to ever come off like someone is weird or wrong for just not jiving with the part as much as others might. one of the main things i think sells it to me is how tightly-connected it all ends up being, and of course part of that is the entire ending sequence, the rest of which technically hasn't 'come up' yet in the thread. even after everyone reading that i still won't expect people to magically think it's one of their favorite parts independent of whatever they were thinking before.

like i personally think it's cool as gently caress (barring the segments i've noted before which i just seriously wish weren't there, which i tend to lump in with poo poo like 'baby face' in part 5 and like, actually, 50%+ of anything that involves a woman in the series) but at the end of the day every part is notably different and there's pros and cons to all of them which is why people tend to favor some higher than others naturally.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

ok the last 3 volumes have silenced all of my criticisms

holy gently caress it stuck the landing so well

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

All hail Lucy Steel.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

e: jumped the gun on spoiler discussion!

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 29, 2019

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
(Jumped the gun, apparently)

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Sep 29, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do keep in mind that officially the last week's chunk of stuff isn't legal to talk about yet

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

This isn't part of the final volumes, but I really appreciate that Valentine still gets shocked and angered when he finds out things don't go according to plan or if the heroes put one over him. I can't help but compare him to the villain of the previous part, who overused the "Ah! But the thing you just did actually furthered my goals! I'm totally not owned" thing and just really annoyed me.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
It's Monday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2IecLNcDCA

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

first time reader, will have more to say later, but it was drat satisfying seeing Tusk finally deploy the Joestar-ORA ORA on the president

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy7zEL9mtMw

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Saving the classic JoJo punch rush for the very end is wonderful, and I love Tusk's baby voice

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goodbye...gyro...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8jvFxW3Pf0

Hey, Johnny...Johnny!

This way...

If it's like this...then I'm fine with it.

So...stay healthy...

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Now that we've reached the end I feel it's worth posting this as something that could point toward the possibility of Steel Ball Run being animated.

multijoe posted:

Johnny ain't in that opening montage

He is in spirit

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJCbyjl5gA

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CHUMIMIIIIN! :ssj:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the return of ZA WARUDO is interesting in that it’s such a different dynamic from part 3 even if there’s some of the same beats; e.g. Alt-Diego being shocked that Tusk Act 4 can move within stopped time but then adjusting and ultimately beating Johnny

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

CHUMIMIIIIIN!!! :unsmigghh:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crusader posted:

the return of ZA WARUDO is interesting in that it’s such a different dynamic from part 3 even if there’s some of the same beats; e.g. Alt-Diego being shocked that Tusk Act 4 can move within stopped time but then adjusting and ultimately beating Johnny
It also shows that despite still being an rear end in a top hat, Scary Monsters Diego is still a better person than any other version of Dio.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Crusader posted:

There was a really great take on this from multijoe in the old manga thread.

multijoe posted:

I think AU Diego actually works really well into the story. The main theme that drives the protagonists and antagonists in SBR is 'determination' and how far you're willing to go for your beliefs. The Steel Ball Run is this social-darwinist trial by fire which purges the weak and leaves those driven by some burning compulsion, with the prize being the power of god. Gyro from the start has a flaw in his resolution as he's primarily driven by being a nice guy, having entered to save a little boy's life and all. He tries being an edgy anti-hero through the True Man's World, and it sticks for a while, but he ultimately reverts to his true nature as a more moderate and fundamentally decent person than the others around his. This lack of conviction in an incredibly high-stakes winner takes all situation is finally symbolised by the flaw in his ball preventing him from delivering the fatal blow to Valentine in their duel.

Johnny, having staked his entire existence and self-worth as a human being on claiming the Corpse Parts, ends up having that extra edge in him which eventually allows him to surpass Gyro. It's made clear this isn't neccessarily a good thing though, with his 'Dark Determination' and willingness to cross moral boundaries and do hosed up poo poo. He still has a spark of humanity in his actions though, such as after the gunfight with Tatoo You where he willingly give up the Corpse Parts for Gyro's life, this is what allows him to be the better man in his showdown with Valentine and shows the potential for him to become a better person.

So finally getting round to AU Diego, his appearance at the very end of the story functions as Johnny's Dark Determination taken to their complete conclusion; he's utterly unfettered in his actions and driven by nothing but an overwhelming desire to conquer and dominate, he has such commitment to his actions regardless of cost he unflichingly severs his own leg to achive a decisive victory over Johnny without a moment's hesistation. Despite Diego defeating his nemesis and uncontestably being the strongest fighter in the story, Johnny's actions have given him allies who come to his rescue whereas as Diego's brutal, psychopathic climb to the top have left him utterly alone and he's destroyed by a literal vision of his own fraility and mortality in an empty room. Diego firmly restablishes Johnny's humanity whilst cermenting the story's themes of power as a poison chalice and the internal conflict between compassion and selfishness.

multijoe posted:

Continuing on those themes, it makes the differences between Diego and AU Diego interesting. Diego is established as having at least for a while having been raised by his mother and has been exposed to compassion and human decency from a young age, this filters down into his personality as an adult where it's clear he never has the same singleminded drive to rule over others, even his big dreams are owning his own island and being a rich guy, even his sexual assualt of a woman is downright mild comapred to DIO and AU Diego's causal references to rape and his Stand is just a copy of an ability of another forced onto him - he never develops into the burning purpose or disregard for others to manifest The World, which symbolised DIO's will to utterly dominate the world. AU Diego's sharing his Stand with the original DIO suggests his psychology is much closer to his namesake, as does his threat of rape to Lucy, on the other hand I like to think Diego wouldn't have even killed Hot Pants if their plan to assassinate Valentine had gone to plan, you can actually see the faint glimmers of humanity in his actions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5irgveHy7U

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah it's interesting to consider what events did or didn't happen to allow the alt diego to develop his 'own' stand, but the existence of it implies something was VERY different in how things played out. i'm also of the mind that maybe the base diego would have been content at the end of it all without needing to dominate others, but we'll never know.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also people point out that johnny figures out what diego's doing a lot sooner than the crew in part 3 but you have to consider that they'd already run up against mandom, which if nothing else probably gave off a similar sense of displacement and unease which he picked up on

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

also people point out that johnny figures out what diego's doing a lot sooner than the crew in part 3 but you have to consider that they'd already run up against mandom, which if nothing else probably gave off a similar sense of displacement and unease which he picked up on

I had the same thought but I guess it also doesn’t take tooo much less time for Johnny to get a handle on what’s happening - I mean the crusaders experienced it only a handful of times before catching on... and they were also operating from a positioned of panicked mystery that Johnny didn’t have.

Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
If Johnny could figure out what the gently caress was happening during D4C while almost bleeding to death, then figuring out that time is stopping would be cake.