Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Alright, let me have a look-see with my raw files here, and sort this out.

And this is why you keep all your files, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Level 25: Asteroid Robot Factory - COMMENTARY (With Leylite)

FIXED!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You made that look smooth, but it was clearly a nasty level. How did your initial practice run(s) go with all those traps? As bad as can be expected?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

idhrendur posted:

You made that look smooth, but it was clearly a nasty level. How did your initial practice run(s) go with all those traps? As bad as can be expected?

yes

berryjon
May 30, 2011

For those not normally in the Discord, the recording session for the last three levels of Descent 1 will be on Saturday at 4 PM Mountain or 6PM Eastern. Then it's on to Descent 2!

I got a proper recording of Level 2 that finds every last secret, even the one in the first room! And the one inside the Exit Tunnel!

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

So with the LP coming to a close as of the last recording session: I've always liked the soundtrack of this game, managing to be generally atmospheric while still having a good beat to it. So here's a Youtube playlist of all the songs in the game for listening pleasure. Furthermore, certain releases of the game came with Redbook audio instead of MIDI, such as the Mac version I was familiar with back in the day. It's worth a listen if you haven't heard it before, a good mix of spruced up versions of some of the MIDI tracks and a few originals as well.

Got some major catching up to do with this thread over the next few days...I have stuff to say about the game, but I'll save all my comments for after the last video!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Dr Bones, Leylite, SirSystemError and Solitair) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:19

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I really liked the aesthetic in that level.

Dr. Bones
Nov 4, 2005

Private First Class in Blankman's Boot Camp of Goonery

idhrendur posted:

I really liked the aesthetic in that level.

Everyone likes trapezoids. Including robits.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Dr. Bones posted:

Everyone likes trapezoids. Including robits.

I liked the coloration, too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One little perk about the Vulcan Cannon I recall was that it was more reliable in preventing enemies from firing back, so if I was facing a homing hulk and had practically no cover, I'd use a vulcan stream to shut the thing down.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Dr Bones, Leylite, SirSystemError and Solitair) - NO COMMENTARY - 14:13

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That fusion hulk spawning point is one memory I will probably carry to my grave. Scared kid me shitless.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you're looking for "story"-explanations for the level's layout; it's a military base meaning it'd have to be easy to defend and hard to invade. The various vents that anyone invading the mine would be forced to go through while defenders can rip into them from all sides make attacking such a place with a squad of ships a major challenge.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

anilEhilated posted:

That fusion hulk spawning point is one memory I will probably carry to my grave. Scared kid me shitless.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

To the OP with you!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Dr Bones, Leylite, SirSystemError and Solitair) - NO COMMENTARY - 21:35

Join me next week when we start Descent 2!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, that's utterly fantastic and one nightmare cleansed. Come to think of that, that one eye constantly darting back and forth does make them look rather nervous.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 23, 2019

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
When you get to the final level of D2, can you fire a guided missile through the grates and send it all the way around the equatorial ring until it returns to you? I remember being able to do this. Obviously, it's very difficult, but it's one hell of a trick shot.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

When you get to the final level of D2, can you fire a guided missile through the grates and send it all the way around the equatorial ring until it returns to you? I remember being able to do this. Obviously, it's very difficult, but it's one hell of a trick shot.

You don't need anything fancy to do that. Just enough room to loop around.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That was one heck of a boss fight. I think I'm glad I never got that far in the game.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The simultaneous death pact was a nice touch. “...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.”

It's fun to look back on this experience and the various praises and gripes along the way. Oh the wonders and horrors that await you in the next game :allears:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

berryjon posted:

You don't need anything fancy to do that. Just enough room to loop around.

Sure, you can just pilot a guided missile in a circle easily enough. But this particular shot requires threading the missile through several tiny holes in a row, since they're the really fine kind of grate.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

A 72-Hour Extension on the Contract

berryjon fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 29, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I only watched the first half or so and then stopped because I had a REALLY difficult time making out the voices. I mean, the CD audio is cool and all, but it seems to drown everything else out.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Erpy posted:

I only watched the first half or so and then stopped because I had a REALLY difficult time making out the voices. I mean, the CD audio is cool and all, but it seems to drown everything else out.

Yeah. No idea why the auto-ducking didn't take. I'm reprocessing and reuploading now.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fixed!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The intro cinematics for this game and Master of Orion 2 are a few of those that stuck with me for very long (mostly in the sense that I could tell you generally what happens in'em, my memory ain't that great).

Actually thinking about it, also Magic Carpet 2... and Dune 2...

Hmm, I'm starting to sense a pattern.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Ah, there's the motherfucker! Lots of mad co-op chases after the thiefbot while trying not to kill each other in the process.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Forgot that the thief bot is in level one, he's just locked away and only gets let out when the player hits a certain switch over in the wing of the mine that has the hostages and afterburner. In all subsequent non secret levels he's present and free to mess with the player from spawn in. If you start a level and just sit around long enough the thief bot will pop by to check on you. Looking forward to a few LP deaths being caused by tunnel-visioned crazed blood lust driven chases to kill the little bastard on sight. Also note he steals power ups which not only includes weapons as seen in the video but can also be things like afterburners, ammo racks, and active buffs like cloaks and invulnerabilities :flipoff:

Also I'm not sure I agree that the vulcan ammo increase had anything to do with the vulcan cannon and its deficiencies but was more in preparation for it's bigger, angrier, and ammo sharing brother which we'll see in level three if memory serves. Most Descent 2 weapons are ones from the original game with the "What if x, but too much" philosophy applied to them.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 30, 2019

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Looking forward to a few LP deaths being caused by tunnel-visioned crazed blood lust driven chases to kill the little bastard on sight. Also note he steals power ups which not only includes weapons as seen in the video but can also be things like afterburners, ammo racks, and active buffs like cloaks and invulnerabilities :flipoff:

Those happen off camera starting in Level 2. I've actually started chasing him, was going "dieDIEDIE!", lost sight of him, went "Where the hell am I?" then got exploded by all the enemies around me.

Note to self - On the next recording session talk about how bots can open doors now.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

berryjon posted:

Note to self - On the next recording session talk about how bots can open doors now.

Will wonders never cease?

About how big would you say this level was, compared to level 1 in the original? About three times bigger, maybe?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I've remembered one time in co-op where someone got clanged by the thiefbot right at level start and I screamed something rage-incoherent like "DON'T CHASE MEGA EAT poo poo" over skype and launched a megamissile at the fucker.

That's how we learned the thiefbot can tank a megamissile.

Some mad genius villain design right there.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh god. The thiefbot has no godamn business having so much HP! That and the vulcan bots have incredible mobility compared to most things from D1. Like partway through, I'm pretty sure one of them booped you with a single vulcan round, headbanged into you and peaced out through the door behind you, all within a couple of seconds.

I for one am very happy to see plenty of medium-sized rooms with lots of room for fun dogfights. It's a subtle but very cool thing that the PIG bots stagger the timing on their shots slightly, so if you over-react to the first one you will run into the second...

[edit]As lacklustre as it is, I have a soft spot for the vulcan in this game simply because of its ridiculous ammo count and ROF. Yes, I know it's probably an illusion, but too many games give you some kind of crazy gatling/vulcan gun, only for it to have a really slow rate of fire.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 30, 2019

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Crazy Achmed posted:

[edit]As lacklustre as it is, I have a soft spot for the vulcan in this game simply because of its ridiculous ammo count and ROF. Yes, I know it's probably an illusion, but too many games give you some kind of crazy gatling/vulcan gun, only for it to have a really slow rate of fire.
hmm. What is the smallest amount of ammo the vulcan can eat in a single pulse of firing? I wonder if it, mechanically, is actually just a very fast shotgun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh thiefbot, you adorable scamp.
Just kidding, that thing needs to die in nuclear fire.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Eh, Thiefbot was overused. You didn't need one on every single level.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Fish Noise posted:

hmm. What is the smallest amount of ammo the vulcan can eat in a single pulse of firing? I wonder if it, mechanically, is actually just a very fast shotgun.

I figured someone somewhere had to have sat in a basement and figured this stuff out and behold the Descent FAQ from May 1995 did not disappoint:

pre:
   Espen Monnich wrote the following table:

"----------------------------------------------------
  |Weapon     | Number | Damage  |  Total  | Energy  |
  |           |of shots| pr.shot |  damage | pr.shot |
  |-----------|--------|---------|---------|---------|
  |Laser lv1  | 2 (4)* |  10     |  20 (30)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv2  | 2 (4)  |  11     |  22 (33)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv3  | 2 (4)  |  12     |  24 (36)| 0.25    |
  |  "   lv4  | 2 (4)  |  13     |  26 (39)| 0.25    |
  |Vulcan     | ca. 25 |  --     |  4      | 0       |
  |Spreadfire | 3      |  6      |  18     | 0.25    |
  |C. Missile | 1      |  25     |  25     | 0       |
  |H. Missile | 1      |  27     |  27     | 0       |
  |Bomb       | 1      |         |  24     | 0       |
  ----------------------------------------------------

* () specifies the Quad laser. It shoots 4 shots, but does only 50% more 
    total damage. 
A single trigger tap burns 25 rounds for a return of 4 damage! So like the thief bot the vulcan cannon is very not good and probably leaves QR codes for Bit Coin propaganda instead of tips at restaurants.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Wow, that is some weird balance, everything seems to do more or less the same damage - except for the quad lasers, which are more or less king. So the concussion missiles are only really worth slightly more than a level 1 laser blast, and the spreadfire cannon isn't a high-damage-at-close-range shotgun style weapon as I always assumed it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

IIRC, those were actually tested in multiplayer, where people would shoot at each other and check the numbers.