Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Any of y'all still use sass-lint even though the development is dead? Anyone have any alternatives they use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Null of Undefined posted:

Any of y'all still use sass-lint even though the development is dead? Anyone have any alternatives they use?

We migrated to https://stylelint.io/ and no complaints so far. You may have to install some plugins to replicate all the rules you use though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ditto for stylelint although I don't really use sass anymore.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Not sure where to post this, but I'm looking for some advice to learn new language(s) / tech.

Currently I'm a PHP programmer doing mostly CRUD applications and glue code for backend systems (telnet, other telecom stuff). I also do the front-end for this ( laravel, html, js, Vue )

While all those tools work, I want better tools to address maintainability, security, and potentially branch into other areas besides web. I've been tinkering with C# and rust and both seem nice, but not sure what would be good to start with seriously, or something else entirely.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
New web development seems to have moved to modular architectures on kubernetes, with JavaScript, Python, or Go being the primary language.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Nolgthorn posted:

New web development seems to have moved to modular architectures on kubernetes

I would hate to work on any project where container orchestration is where *new* development starts.

Choose the toolset that works the best for you to solve the problem. Always start with the simplest thing that could possibly work, and only make it more complex when you have to. Keep it practical and down to earth. Tooling is complexity. It has a place and a time, and that place and time isn't always going to be at the start of your project. Sometimes you need an absurdly scalable, continuously deployed, microservice oriented, containerized, cloud service based application using the latest bleeding edge everything. Sometimes you need a 30-line PHP script served up by Apache on a $5/month VPS.

bigmandan posted:

I want better tools to address maintainability, security, and potentially branch into other areas besides web.

Your best bet is going to be finding specific, practical itches to scratch in these areas. What's your concern about maintainability? What's your concern about security? Answering these questions will help you figure out what the best things to tinker with are.

Rust and C# are good to learn, and I'll second learning Python. Python seems to be now where Perl was twenty years ago. It's become the modern glue between everything, from web development to games and computer vision.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

McGlockenshire posted:

I would hate to work on any project where container orchestration is where *new* development starts.

Choose the toolset that works the best for you to solve the problem. Always start with the simplest thing that could possibly work, and only make it more complex when you have to. Keep it practical and down to earth. Tooling is complexity. It has a place and a time, and that place and time isn't always going to be at the start of your project. Sometimes you need an absurdly scalable, continuously deployed, microservice oriented, containerized, cloud service based application using the latest bleeding edge everything. Sometimes you need a 30-line PHP script served up by Apache on a $5/month VPS.

Your best bet is going to be finding specific, practical itches to scratch in these areas. What's your concern about maintainability? What's your concern about security? Answering these questions will help you figure out what the best things to tinker with are.

Rust and C# are good to learn, and I'll second learning Python. Python seems to be now where Perl was twenty years ago. It's become the modern glue between everything, from web development to games and computer vision.

Ehh container orchestration is not where new web development starts, but containers often are.

That's because they're easier than PHP/Apache on a VPS.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Anyone know of any resources for simple but nice looking example layouts for websites? I have 0 design chops but I'm great at styling sites when I know what the end product should look like.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Anyone know of any resources for simple but nice looking example layouts for websites? I have 0 design chops but I'm great at styling sites when I know what the end product should look like.

Google "free responsive site templates" and click links! This one doesn't seem to suck too bad: https://html5up.net/ Obviously your need is not the template itself, but you'll see a whole mess of different layouts quickly on those kind of sites.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a reason why this isn't working? It works with a basic class or dom .prop('disabled', true); but not here. I even had this working on getting the actual attribute.

E: Using JQuery 1.15 so maybe prop wont work now that I read (and I dont have say on upgrading)

This works:
JavaScript code:
var grade_id = $("span[data-proxy-id='"+proxy_id+"']").attr("data-grade-id"); //primary key
This doesn't:
JavaScript code:
if(grade_value === "I") {
console.log("My grade ID: "+grade_id);
console.log("My grade value: "+grade_value);
$("input[data-proxy-id='"+grade_id+"']").prop('disabled', true);
}
It is firing off those logs too so I know it's getting in there.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Try putting together a simple reproduction on CodeSandbox or CodePen. Either it'll be broken there too and someone can try to help you out or it won't be broken there and then you get to play spot the difference :v:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ah, you're right: https://codepen.io/dmon83/pen/ZEzdppr

I think that should be ok. Doesnt' work there either. :(

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Ah, you're right: https://codepen.io/dmon83/pen/ZEzdppr

I think that should be ok. Doesnt' work there either. :(

You forgot to add jquery to that codepen, once added it works.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, that worked in CodePen. :lol:

Still nothing on the site - I'll keep messing with it. Thanks! Maybe it has something to do with the number coming in as a String. I can convert to Int if that helps. This feels so basic, haha.

E: Got it working - too many ID's! I was looking for the grade-id in the span but it doesn't have it. It is linked by another (proxy id - whatever that is - I didn't make this).

So once I get the data-grade-id I used that to pull the proxy-id and find the input to disable. This project is a mess.... This page is basically a big gradebook and if you put the letter I for incomplete I want to disable the calendar input so you can't pick a date.

It's not pretty but it works for now.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 30, 2019

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Here is over a year of "Top 5 UI designs this week": https://letterfuel.com/ui-movement/archives/

It's not exactly what you are looking for as it's not all layouts. Sometimes it's a button or an animation. But maybe it will spark some inspiration.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

https://designshack.net/articles/layouts/10-rock-solid-website-layout-examples/

My design aesthetic has matured into "put text on the screen" and "add backgrounds to containing divs". Anything beyond that and I'm reaching a bit. But if I wanted to amp up my game I might use something like the above link to get me past the part where I have no idea what people want to look at.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I like to use https://www.dribbble.com for UI/UX layouts to be inspired from.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://refactoringui.com/book/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

As a non-designer programmer who makes UI's very often...this looks rad.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I haven't bought it yet but Steve's Twitter account is full of good tips. When I was in school I read The Non-Designer's Design book which is old as hell now but also super good. Us non design types can definitely learn lots of ways to make things look better.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Hmm... my work reimburses me for work related books (professional development fund), maybe I’ll see if I can get that. I read through his twitter and he does have a lot of good tips.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Ruggan posted:

Hmm... my work reimburses me for work related books (professional development fund), maybe I’ll see if I can get that. I read through his twitter and he does have a lot of good tips.

I have purchased Adam's other stuff before. His books, videos, and programming examples are very good.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looks like they just got the landing page up for this too: https://tailwindui.com

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Here comes a tsunami of litigation.
Supreme Court allows blind people to sue retailers if their websites are not accessible

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Companies have had time to be compliant, and they're scumbags if they fight it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

The Dave posted:

Compliant to what? Section 508? WCAG? A, AA, AAA?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

The Merkinman posted:

We'll find out through the magic of litigation :gifttank:

That, in case you or anyone else don't know, is how the system is supposed to work, unfortunately.

e: the "unfortunately" there does not mean that I think making websites accessible is bad - I actually am really glad Domino's lost - just that courts in the US never tell you what would be acceptable because they want people to discover it with further litigation where experts are supposed to argue with each other over minutae

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 8, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Merkinman posted:

Everywhere I've worked has flown with WCAG AA being good enough for their needs. I think the important thing is the effort to following something. If I'm understanding the Dominos story there was functionality just not keyboard accessible, which is a pretty poor look.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

If I understand correctly the ruling is limited to places with a physical location accessible to the public.

(even if that doesn't apply to you, you should still work on being accessible)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thermopyle posted:

If I understand correctly the ruling is limited to places with a physical location accessible to the public.

(even if that doesn't apply to you, you should still work on being accessible)

Oh, is that required to sue under the ADA or something?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I think nowadays AA is achieved by just following good coding practices, but I'm still nervous about making a mistake being a law breaking offence rather than getting called out during a code review.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's really easy for design to break AA just with contrast, non-identifiable links or autoplaying videos without controls.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, it's something like that.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Dave posted:

autoplaying videos without controls.

I'd sue for that. This also means it's time to sue anybody with a Flash website, right?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just tried out the Ghost CMS. I like it a lot, but I will never recommend it again to a civilian.

The person I helped get it set up did nothing but complain about how it can't do what WordPress can (AKA it can't do a nested navigation bar out-of-the-box).

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Grump posted:

Just tried out the Ghost CMS. I like it a lot, but I will never recommend it again to a civilian.

The person I helped get it set up did nothing but complain about how it can't do what WordPress can (AKA it can't do a nested navigation bar out-of-the-box).

If a customer wants a wordpress site why don't they just set it up themselves for gods sake. What levels of technological ineptitude are we still talking about, it's press a button isn't it?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

Nolgthorn posted:

If a customer wants a wordpress site why don't they just set it up themselves for gods sake. What levels of technological ineptitude are we still talking about, it's press a button isn't it?

It’s the same people who try to do something like “export this document” but can’t figure it out so they call you over to take a look and when they click export an error message pops up with clear instructions for what they need to do, but they don’t read it and just immediately close it and then wonder why it didn’t export. If you are unable or unwilling to read simple instructions, you’re more likely to pay someone else to do it for you.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
The ADA is kinda a pet peeve of mine mostly because inaction on the part of the DoJ has made it impossible for someone to be verifiably compliant and some scumbag lawyers are having a field day with that. I would be 100% on board with requiring it as part of the ADA if it could be tested.

The Dave posted:

The Merkinman posted:

This. Most lawsuits cite the WCAG 2.0 but how do you even test that you're compliant? The automated tests are pretty overbroad. Do you have someone sit with a screenreader for every version of the site? How does a small restaurant afford that? Would it even matter if you did?

The Dave posted:

Everywhere I've worked has flown with WCAG AA being good enough for their needs.

That's great but nearly meaningless under the law, particularly for preventing lawsuits. The complaints ADA plaintiffs attorneys write are sloppy as gently caress and they do basically no research.

Munkeymon posted:

Its required that the place be a public accommodation as defined by the ADA. The first question on this page does a good job of describing what that is: https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/adaqa2.html

A decent laymans rule of thumb is: Can I go to it for some service without an appointment? E.g. I can pay a bill at a dentists office without an appointment, so it's probably a place of public accommodation under the ADA.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'll agree it would be nice if there was a standard and an expectation but there's also a big corporation ignoring all of them when they should have a responsibility.

CarForumPoster posted:

This. Most lawsuits cite the WCAG 2.0 but how do you even test that you're compliant? The automated tests are pretty overbroad. Do you have someone sit with a screenreader for every version of the site? How does a small restaurant afford that? Would it even matter if you did?

That is just some really scummy logic of "it takes effort and time so why do it?". If you don't have the means to produce an accessible website then you don't have the means to have a custom website and should be using a website building service that offloads that burden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's not how I read his post at all.

It's more like, "now we can be sued for not complying with something that we have no way of knowing if we're complying with".