Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Ori looked super pretty and neat, looks like it has a decent rating on metacritic etc. The control seems loose as hell though, especially coming after Hollow Knight and Dead Cells which are both super, super tight.

Does it ever get any better? Am I just loving this up somehow? I feel like I’m running into jump sequences right off the bat that need at least a little precision but the looseness of the controls and the unforgiving damage (oops you got hit twice ur dead) are not making this very fun, as aesthetically gorgeous as it is. For reference I finished the path of pain or nails or dickrazors or whatever it was in Hollow Knight (tho I did use the hive charm to do it) and that felt nowhere near as frustrating as this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

those mClassic cables are literal snakeoil btw

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Sorry, this is a re-post because my original got lost in all the Linkle discussion.

I'm trying to purchase Deathstyles via a Canadian account (I live in Japan). It does not show up in the eShop. I can find it via Nintendos website, but even via VPN (which has never failed me) the listing lacks the typical "Buy Digitally" button.

Can anyone in Canada confirm that it is available for purchase there? I'm at a loss for why I can't buy it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fly Ricky posted:

Sorry, this is a re-post because my original got lost in all the Linkle discussion.

I'm trying to purchase Deathstyles via a Canadian account (I live in Japan). It does not show up in the eShop. I can find it via Nintendos website, but even via VPN (which has never failed me) the listing lacks the typical "Buy Digitally" button.

Can anyone in Canada confirm that it is available for purchase there? I'm at a loss for why I can't buy it.

Are you sure "Deathstyles" is the correct name?

Because even Google isn't revealing anything.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMX2tHyuII8

Heck yeah I unironically love me some placebo effect brain enhancing games

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Fly Ricky posted:

I assume you mean Deathstate, in which case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d5mn92/comment/f0ncspc

You're not insane.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

those mClassic cables are literal snakeoil btw

https://twitter.com/RubyOtaku_/status/1178096982734323712?s=20

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Wasn't there some other brand of cable that did this a while back? What's special about this one?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I can't see any difference in any of the screenshots for this snakeoil cable.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

404notfound posted:

Wasn't there some other brand of cable that did this a while back? What's special about this one?

Nothing

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Will this cable finally help me see the difference between 30 and 60 fps

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Argue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMX2tHyuII8

Heck yeah I unironically love me some placebo effect brain enhancing games
1:05 is literally the only time I've seen a game support the use of the Switch's touch screen. On so many games I'm touching the screen like an idiot and it does nothing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vegetable posted:

1:05 is literally the only time I've seen a game support the use of the Switch's touch screen. On so many games I'm touching the screen like an idiot and it does nothing.
Every single first party Nintendo game supports touch screen menu controls.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

American McGay posted:

Smash don’t

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Gay Horney posted:

Do I buy dragon quest 1 or 2?

I haven't played 2 yet, but DQ1 is a chill little experience that you can just kinda zone out and slay Slimes to. It's really basic as like the progenitor to JRPGs but there's a lot of charm and easy going fun in that simplicity.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

idiotsavant posted:

Ori looked super pretty and neat, looks like it has a decent rating on metacritic etc. The control seems loose as hell though, especially coming after Hollow Knight and Dead Cells which are both super, super tight.

Does it ever get any better? Am I just loving this up somehow? I feel like I’m running into jump sequences right off the bat that need at least a little precision but the looseness of the controls and the unforgiving damage (oops you got hit twice ur dead) are not making this very fun, as aesthetically gorgeous as it is. For reference I finished the path of pain or nails or dickrazors or whatever it was in Hollow Knight (tho I did use the hive charm to do it) and that felt nowhere near as frustrating as this.

I'm loving loving Ori right now (even more than Hollow Knight), and think the controls feel great, so YMMV. But yeah, you get a double jump pretty early that will help with the platforming and you can expand your health a ton.

Don't hesitate to save often. You can also expand your energy reserves a ton, so saving becomes practically free later on.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Vegastar posted:

I assume you mean Deathstate, in which case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d5mn92/comment/f0ncspc

You're not insane.

Awesome, many thanks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

American McGay posted:

Mario Maker 2 also supports it for the stage creator in the same way as the first game did on the Wii U.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Smash don’t

Smash's custom stage creator does too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

American McGay posted:

Can't say for Nintendo first-party games, don't play that many, but most recently I played Fire Emblem. That menu-intensive game has no touch controls, as far as I recall.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

well i have finished Goose Game and Links Awakening and now all barriers between me and Luigis Mansion 3 are cleared

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

alf_pogs posted:

well i have finished Goose Game and Links Awakening and now all barriers between me and Luigis Mansion 3 are cleared

Dragons Quest 11

Play the demo. It's 7 hours long.

Then afterwards you'll end up buying the game

Ta-dah

No more gap

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's a ways out but has anyone commented on the length of LM3? I liked the first game, disliked the second, but they were both too short imo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I got my 128 gig SD card and it's in my Switch now. Time to get the goose game and FF7. Also, I bought DQ11. Free time is overrated.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'm about midway through the final dungeon of Link's Awakening. It's v big, just looking at the map is a little intimidating.

I loooooved this game. I'd say it's tied with Link Between Worlds for my favorite 2D Zelda at this point. The world and characters are so vibrant and there's a really great flow when you're moving around the overworld.

The performance issues are a little bit of a bummer just because they're a small blemish on an otherwise phenomenal experience, but honestly I hardly notice them anymore.

Once I finish I'll go back for some of the remaining heart pieces/seashells. Then I guess it's getting put back on the shelf and joining my rotation of Zelda games that I return to every few years.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I got my 128 gig SD card and it's in my Switch now. Time to get the goose game and FF7. Also, I bought DQ11. Free time is overrated.

Get golf story too!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I loooooved this game. I'd say it's tied with Link Between Worlds for my favorite 2D Zelda at this point. The world and characters are so vibrant and there's a really great flow when you're moving around the overworld.
I appreciate that they went with a straight-up remake of Link's Awakening instead of a different game that takes place in the same world like Link Between Worlds. I did like LBW though, I like how it's more of a puzzle game than LttP. Maybe I feel this way about LA because it was my first-ever Zelda game.

GrandmaParty posted:

Get golf story too!
If only there was someone who's going to play it for a subforum so I can get a better idea of what I'm in for. :v:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Golf Story was fine but I don’t think it deserves to be on everyone’s must buy list, the golf side is enjoyable if a little frustrating sometimes and the RPG elements are very basic and there’s quite a bit of janky design

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Butterfly Valley posted:

Golf Story was fine but I don’t think it deserves to be on everyone’s must buy list, the golf side is enjoyable if a little frustrating sometimes and the RPG elements are very basic and there’s quite a bit of janky design

It also overplays the golf part a lot. And the story just isn't interesting enough after the halfway point imho.

It's still a fun couple of hours before you move on to a different game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really wanted to like Golf Story but it felt like it leaned too much into the comedy and "ironically" being about golf.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I assembled the Labo Robo kit with my daughter yesterday ($20 clearance from Target last March or April, been saving it for a rainy day). It's incredibly fun, but a long build... broke it up into two parts with my 5 year old. It was a huge hit!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m probably the only one that is excited for Brain Age Switch. I love those games. I hope it gets an English release.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If I want to upgrade my SD card can I just take the old one out and copy everything onto a new one with no issues?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vegetable posted:

You clearly don’t play many rhythm games

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I'm about midway through the final dungeon of Link's Awakening. It's v big, just looking at the map is a little intimidating.

The performance issues are a little bit of a bummer just because they're a small blemish on an otherwise phenomenal experience, but honestly I hardly notice them anymore.

Once I finish I'll go back for some of the remaining heart pieces/seashells. Then I guess it's getting put back on the shelf and joining my rotation of Zelda games that I return to every few years.

Yeah I’m finishing this up today too. The game has been amazing but I’m still not sure it’s worth $60. I mean it probably is, especially if you never played the game boy version before, but I feel like at $60 we should’ve got an original top down Zelda game. Hopefully they’ll take the engine and make something new with it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Golf Story makes me wish Tiger Woods 09 was on the Switch

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's me, I'm the guy who didn't really like Link's Awakening as a kid. I've been plugging along at it on Switch and have come to the conclusion that I still don't like it all that much. The setting and the charm are fantastic, I just find so much about it irritating. Especially some of the enemies like the flying thingies that spit bombs. gently caress those things.
It's a great re-imagining of a great game that I just don't like. I wish they would have gone the Link Between Worlds route and remade the whole thing from scratch.

Anyway, I've re-downloaded LBW on the 3DS and am gonna replay that instead. Either that or pay for a month of online and play Link to the Past on Gods chosen platform.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I thought LA was OK but it felt like a step back after LttP. Good by the standards of GB games, but not by the standards of Zelda games. It's possible I might like it better when it's not on a tiny yellow-grey screen but I'm not spending $60 to find out.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spanish Manlove posted:

If I want to upgrade my SD card can I just take the old one out and copy everything onto a new one with no issues?

Long as you're going to the same system, yeah. I had issues when I copied over the top of an old SD backup from the first time, but once I did it clean it was fine.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
As an ignorant knave when it comes to JRPGs, I'm digging DQXI a lot. I've tried a lot of games in the genre, but I usually don't make it far (outside of the Persona series). This one is just... not annoying.

Maybe it'll reach a point where there's too much crap to manage and I'll lose the thread, but so far it's just been a nice, frictionless experience. I just solved Gallopolis's problems and got my 5th party member. I also love the look of everything. I guess I'm also pretty new to Toriyama. Looking at his list of stuff, the only game he worked on that I played was Tobal No. 1, and I've never watched Dragon Ball.

I just like looking at these fantasy people with their modern eyeglass frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Straight White Shark posted:

I thought LA was OK but it felt like a step back after LttP. Good by the standards of GB games, but not by the standards of Zelda games. It's possible I might like it better when it's not on a tiny yellow-grey screen but I'm not spending $60 to find out.

I played through LTTP again right before the remake and I think LA is slightly better now with the QoL features.