Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slugworth posted:

The rich filing for bankruptcy is a tax scheme, not admitting defeat .

these were corporate bankruptcies and those are more about creditors not taxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'll never stop being amused by the right's Rambo fantasies and 2A fetishizement (if that's a word). Like Bubba and his buddies are going to hunker down and fend off the most powerful military the world has ever seen with just their AR-15s or whatever the gently caress.

see: Finicum, Lavoy

the dumbfuck literally told police to shoot him, tried to pull a weapon, and then was shot - a pattern that would likely reoccur for all of these old white fucks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

depends on if we can imprison every single underling or if they also get pardons

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Open hypothetical question: if right now Trump offered to resign under the condition that he gets fully pardoned by Pence AND no state charges are filed would you take it?

I'm gonna go against the grain and say yes. I think Trump needs to face justice, but I think that we need him gone more. It would fracture the Republican party, and would be significantly worse for then than Nixon; they'd have to acknowledge his crimes and turn against him, and that would bring them into direct conflict with the hard-core trumpers.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Absolutely not. If he had just done the Ukraine stuff, maybe. But he is literally calling for civil war and he opened child concentration camps. There has to be an actual reckoning for that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah, but he went down for the Bush family like a low level enforcer goes down for the mafia. Same poo poo really. That guy does his time and becomes a made man. Serving a crime family faithfully and well comes with privileges.

And you don't think this is exactly how the chuds would treat Trump?

Sending him to jail won't destroy him. Take his money and his empire. Make it so that he has nothing to leave those shitfuck kids of his. Trump's whole identity is tied up in being rich and powerful; if you take that away from him it will hurt him far more.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

What in the hell is wrong with you?

you asked a question, friend. it got answered.

to turn it back around on you, did you not have issue with Obama's decision that doing those grotesque things, which where a matter of record, because the people involved very much enjoyed their work, was less worthy of punishment than sharing the name of someone doing it?

because i have an issue with it. do you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

evilweasel posted:

he repeatedly filed for bankruptcy so at some point there's apparently something that makes him throw in the towel but i dunno if resignation is that analogous to a bankruptcy filing

When he's talked about his bad outcomes in the courts and his amazingly terrible business career he tells it like all those things came out in his favor. Everything is basically Pee Wee Herman going I Meant To Do That. If it's left up to him he will never resign.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also if I were the Dems in a hypothetical sweep of congress and the presidency, I would make it a major goal to fix all the weaknesses in the system Trump exploited, so they could never be used again.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Also if I were the Dems in a hypothetical sweep of congress and the presidency, I would make it a major goal to fix all the weaknesses in the system Trump exploited, so they could never be used again.

the overwhelming majority cannot be fixed without significant constitutional reform

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Sending him to jail won't destroy him. Take his money and his empire. Make it so that he has nothing to leave those shitfuck kids of his. Trump's whole identity is tied up in being rich and powerful; if you take that away from him it will hurt him far more.

Trump's life is entirely built around absurd bodily luxury. My man wouldn't last a week in minimum security.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It would fracture the Republican party, and would be significantly worse for then than Nixon; they'd have to acknowledge his crimes and turn against him, and that would bring them into direct conflict with the hard-core trumpers.

I don't see a problem here. Let the republicans eat each other alive. Let the party collapse. It's been a rump party for ages and only sustains itself through hatred, fear, lies, voter suppression and election fraud. They don't even pretend to stand for anything anymore other than white supremacy and authoritarianism.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

And you don't think this is exactly how the chuds would treat Trump?

I can get behind this, yeah. And I'd hope that it would spark conversations about white collar crime and reform in that vein that we desperately need.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I love that people think they can hunker down with their AR-15s. The government would first do buybacks and if they did come for your weapon forcefully they would just arrest you as you go to work, not while you are at home with your guns. The idea of a gun-collection SWAT team busting down doors in Texas is a fantasy. It would lead to violence even in the most normal of times.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That has to be the #1 priority the next time the Dems hold control over the Presidency and both houses of Congress (if they ever win the Senate again.) The one thing Trump has taught us is how fragile the honor system is, and that there needs to be clear definitions and specific limitations on Presidential powers.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

the overwhelming majority cannot be fixed without significant constitutional reform

I know, that is where my hypothetical sweep comes in

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Trump's life is entirely built around absurd bodily luxury. My man wouldn't last a week in minimum security.

Absolute worst case scenario for Trump is house arrest. He would never see the inside of a jail cell or facility.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1178690086763782145

This is just plain embarrassing at this point.

I know it was several millennia ago, but remember that there was literally nothing behind the Benghazi scandal. The idea that Clinton did anything at all wrong was entirely invented by the GOP so they could own the news cycle with endless investigations. They're completely fine with just making things up from whole cloth.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Slugworth posted:

At the end of his bankruptcies he had lost so much of his personal money his creditors put him on an allowance. The only reason they didn't completely clean him out was they decided he was worth more financially alive than dead.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
No punishment of trump is complete without banning him from twitter

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Rudy is divorced from three wives and one reality.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

That has to be the #1 priority the next time the Dems hold control over the Presidency and both houses of Congress (if they ever win the Senate again.) The one thing Trump has taught us is how fragile the honor system is, and that there needs to be clear definitions and specific limitations on Presidential powers.

that's the thing, though: it runs completely counter to the Senate and House members' individual aims.

it is a huge pain in the rear end, and potentially reelection-prospect-damaging, to actually have to vote on doing things. it is much easier to relinquish power to the executive when it's on your side and stonewall it when it's not. what's the compelling personal reason for Thad Raytheon NOT to hand over the keys on everything but budgetary allocations to the President?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nachos posted:

A nearly complete shadow ban would be the most effective punishment IMO. Going from tens of thousands of likes and responses to like three or four would destroy him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

nachos posted:

Jack would sooner die then let that happen.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Constitutional reform requires 3/4 of states, so good loving luck with that

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Jack would sooner die then let that happen.

i am not seeing the downside here

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ague Proof posted:

Rudy is divorced from three wives and one reality.

Reality is the Winner here.

No, not that one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_Winner

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shifty Pony posted:

There's also an insane intra-party power struggle going on in the Texas GOP. The tea party nut jobs that a lot of these useless congressional reps owe their job to is on the way out and for reasons nobody can figure out the moderate speaker of the TX House was conspiring with the far right nut to knife some fellow GOP members. The US House reps' campaigning support structures are probably fractured right now.

If that wasn't enough the state gerrymandering has aged and demographics have shifted to the point that with an anti-trump wave election the democrats could potentially take back the TX House. If that happens the updated US Representative districts aren't going to have the R+40 gerrymandering that these nuts depend on to get elected.

poo poo is really strange.

I posted this in the middle east thread a while back, but it's pertinent here

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Jingoistic bullshit became profoundly unpopular and was seen as the lowest kind of crass low class poo poo towards the end of the Bush years. The election of Barack super allah obama in a wave election was a good example of how utterly discredited that poo poo was. Trump and the MAGA poo poo really regrew as it's own new thing (in the sense of being a political movement, as a cultural thing racism certainly never went away) out of right wing opposition to Obama. Trump making GBS threads all over establishment Rs in the primary was drawing on the contempt and disregard people still felt for all the dumb poo poo centrist Rs did in the 2000s

The push for the Iraq war came from centrist Rs, not the far right. Trump and MAGA are a far right phenomenon that eventually managed to bring a lot of centrist types into their fold.

Basically, a lot of the resignations and internal R maneuvering is related to the split between the centrist Rs and the far-right.

Relatedly, just because the far right poo poo was wildly ascendant for the last few years does not mean that all the centrist types just magically disappeared or changed what they believe. No one knows exactly how many there are nor how they will actually act, but unquestionably a lot of washington Rs have been holding their noses so long as Trump is still beneficial for them.

One of the interesting things about the divide between the two factions is that Trump was one of the most prominent conspiracy far-righters of the last decade, if not maybe the most prominent period. Trump's election was basically the end result of the conspiracy-right being paradoxically the least discredited branch of the republican party left and they eventually largely subsumed the tea party types, too.

We're likely on the verge of another big republican realignment

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Nah, worst case scenario is sticking him in Trump Tower under house arrest, then rename the street Barack H. Obama Avenue, then repossess Trump Tower and charge him market rent for his penthouse.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

you asked a question, friend. it got answered.

to turn it back around on you, did you not have issue with Obama's decision that doing those grotesque things, which where a matter of record, because the people involved very much enjoyed their work, was less worthy of punishment than sharing the name of someone doing it?

because i have an issue with it. do you.

Look person, I just asked a question.

I was unaware of people that went through the whistleblower program under Obama, and I asked for some names so that I could read up on them. You seem to be having an argument with nobody, so I don't know what your issue is. Take a deep breath.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
On the dumb civil war thing I think many of you are severely under estimating the amount of damage even a bunch of middle aged, non-veteran (though I suspect there would be plenty of veterans in their ranks), insurgents could do to the United States if there was enough of them.

On the other hand nobody is going to die for Trump. Nobody goes to the streets/woods unless they feel they have nothing to lose. The overwhelming amount of trump voters may be crazy rear end in a top hat bigots but at the end of the day they got mortgages to pay and kids/grandkids to shame/embarrass. Trump being perp walked out of the Whitehouse (oh glorious day!) wouldn't cost them any of that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Slugworth posted:

corporate bankruptcies aren't really about taxes. a corporate bankruptcy is about reallocating the capital structure of the debtors - usually (but not always) wiping out existing shareholders and making creditors convert their debt into equity.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Absolute worst case scenario for Trump is house arrest. He would never see the inside of a jail cell or facility.

What makes you say that house arrest would be the worst he'd see?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

sadly a sweep doesn't get you there, you pretty much need the collapse of the republican party with no replacement for a decade or so

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
FINALLY

https://twitter.com/lachlan/status/1178728482467172353

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'll never stop being amused by the right's Rambo fantasies and 2A fetishizement (if that's a word). Like Bubba and his buddies are going to hunker down and fend off the most powerful military the world has ever seen with just their AR-15s or whatever the gently caress.

If you picture Cletus and his pals trying to take on the US military head on its absurd. But the danger is when the shitheads actually do find themselves with sympathisers in law enforcement and authority.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Numlock posted:

On the other hand nobody is going to die for Trump.

this is massively incorrect.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Numlock posted:

On the dumb civil war thing I think many of you are severely under estimating the amount of damage even a bunch of middle aged, non-veteran (though I suspect there would be plenty of veterans in their ranks), insurgents could do to the United States if there was enough of them.

On the other hand nobody is going to die for Trump. Nobody goes to the streets/woods unless they feel they have nothing to lose. The overwhelming amount of trump voters may be crazy rear end in a top hat bigots but at the end of the day they got mortgages to pay and kids/grandkids to shame/embarrass. Trump being perp walked out of the Whitehouse (oh glorious day!) wouldn't cost them any of that.

If there were enough of them, yes. But they'd have to organize and form a leadership structure. There would be different visions and goals and the group would fracture into smaller sub-groups. The only way it would be successful is if it had some sort of unified force holding it together like the Confederacy had.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

hidden_msg posted:

What makes you say that house arrest would be the worst he'd see?

If this comes off as dickish, I apologize, but in what scenario do you see a former President of the United States in a corrections facility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

Nah, worst case scenario is sticking him in Trump Tower under house arrest, then rename the street Barack H. Obama Avenue, then repossess Trump Tower and charge him market rent for his penthouse.

This only works if you base market rent on what he charged the government.

Also, Mar-a-Lago needs to be turned into the single best refuge center in the country.