Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone have a 3D printer in the US? Looking to pay someone to do this Antiquity insert

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2815318

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
Check your library. Some have 3D printers that you can rent time on and pay for the materials you used.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rad Valtar posted:

I traded away Barenpark a year ago and had been regretting it. I just got it again in a trade and wanted to know if anyone had any opinions of the expansion. Looks like it expands your park and adds a cool monorail scoring system.

Jedit had words about it a few months ago. Basically 3 modules that seem pretty easy to throw in:
1. Monorail system you can put on tiles at 90 or 180 degree angles that do something with points
2. New class of larger tiles that require you to build and complete a 5th tile before you're finished
3. More goals

I hate modular expansions, but this seems easy enough to pick up without issue.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

Jedit had words about it a few months ago. Basically 3 modules that seem pretty easy to throw in:
1. Monorail system you can put on tiles at 90 or 180 degree angles that do something with points
2. New class of larger tiles that require you to build and complete a 5th tile before you're finished
3. More goals

I hate modular expansions, but this seems easy enough to pick up without issue.

Pretty much. The monorail actually works by letting you place a pillar whenever you place a feature (the 0-point green things). If you then place another feature under the required conditions, you may play another pillar and link them with the most valuable remaining monorail section. These go from 10 points on down. The required conditions are:

1) Exactly two spaces between it and another pillar, in an orthogonal straight line.
2) After the second pillar: at a 90 degree angle from a previous monorail section.
3) You cannot make your route loop or branch, and you can only have one route.

The grizzly enclosures cover six spaces and are obtained by discarding a habitat (4-space tile) and a feature on your turn. They are worth from 10 points down to 8. If you play with grizzlies then you add an 8-point habitat to each stack and you must also complete an exit board. Exit boards must be placed so that no other board is above their top edge, and you can choose the one you want from the stack of four.

The exit boards can also be used as a mini-module if you want a tougher game but not to play grizzlies. Just agree that your fourth board must be an exit board. Be warned, though, that this reduces the availability of enclosures (5-space tiles) so you should use the 8-point habitats as well.

Take care if you are playing both modules at once. The first time we used both the game ended because we ran out of tiles and nobody was able to complete their park.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey, the digital Through the Ages expansion gives you access to the cards on all platforms if you play on mobile + steam. Pretty neat and generous of CGE.

Is digital TTA cross platform? Looks like it is but just trying to find out for sure.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

T-Bone posted:

Is digital TTA cross platform? Looks like it is but just trying to find out for sure.

It is.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

CGE is definitely one of my favorite companies as far as not overproducing and being generous with content.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Does anyone know what the situation is like with bgg's market place? Is there much protection or is it just the wild west?

I'm asking because I've seen something on there new, being advertised by a games company not a private individual, about half the price I would expect. I am instantly suspicious, possibly with no reason to be.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

OrthoTrot posted:

Does anyone know what the situation is like with bgg's market place? Is there much protection or is it just the wild west?

I'm asking because I've seen something on there new, being advertised by a games company not a private individual, about half the price I would expect. I am instantly suspicious, possibly with no reason to be.

If it's the guys from GA, read the fine print. You can also contact the publisher of the game and ask what's up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OrthoTrot posted:

It's the wild west but very self regulated. Check to make sure the seller is actually the company in question and if they are it's probably safe because no game publisher would dare rip you off on the biggest website for board gamers. Anything sold through the market is documented by BGG but they can't enforce anything. With that said ignore anyone who asks you to pay with friends in Paypal because Paypal has good buyer protection. If they're trying to avoid paying fees then whatever, add $5 on top of the offer.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

al-azad posted:

Check to make sure the seller is actually the company in question...

Thanks for the good tips in general, but this in particular was very helpful. A quick Google search shows the same company with a better deal via their own website. Brilliant.

The game is Vengeance. It looks good for £50, but I'm not so sure I'd pay £100 for it. Even still I'm not sure I can justify it. I've gone a bit profligate and bought a lot of games recently.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I haven't seen Jordan Draper or Tokyo Metro discussed much if at all in this thread. Am I being suckered in by the lovely aesthetics? I don't have any true economic games in my collection on account of a lack of friends who would have the appetite for something like Arkwright or Brass: Birmingham but my spouse is a city planner and Tokyo Metro might hit the spot. I'm also certain that I'll never get a group to sit down and play anything 18xx, so I thought this might be the next best thing. I'm a bit put off by the look of Draper's other games, which seem the type of thing created by someone with fantastic design sense but not real board game experience, so I'm curious if Tokyo Metro is well regarded. The lack of chatter in this thread has me suspect as well.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
So the Detective: City of Angels KS just added a full set of components for a fifth detective color, but for some reason they say they're not going to officially support a fifth detective player in the rules.

Can anyone who's played it weigh in on what problems there might be with adding a fifth detective player as a house rule?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

So the Detective: City of Angels KS just added a full set of components for a fifth detective color, but for some reason they say they're not going to officially support a fifth detective player in the rules.

Can anyone who's played it weigh in on what problems there might be with adding a fifth detective player as a house rule?

I've only played as the Chisel, but off the top of my head the first thing that comes to mind as a concern is money. In a four detective game cash is already pretty tight for the detectives (even though the kickback action scales with the number of players) -- I think people would blow through their cash pretty quickly and with clues distributed to so many different players and having to sit through four full turns (likely full of questioning you'll want to bribe on) before getting a chance to replenish money it might be very difficult for any single player to get enough information to really solve the case.

Additionally, (and this is really only for the earlier/easy cases), there aren't really enough suspects or things to do to support five players. The person who goes last might not even have an opportunity to get any clues at all for themselves.

That said, the first problem certainly isn't unsolvable, and the second problem probably goes away in most of the later/expansion cases.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jewmanji posted:

I haven't seen Jordan Draper or Tokyo Metro discussed much if at all in this thread. Am I being suckered in by the lovely aesthetics? I don't have any true economic games in my collection on account of a lack of friends who would have the appetite for something like Arkwright or Brass: Birmingham but my spouse is a city planner and Tokyo Metro might hit the spot. I'm also certain that I'll never get a group to sit down and play anything 18xx, so I thought this might be the next best thing. I'm a bit put off by the look of Draper's other games, which seem the type of thing created by someone with fantastic design sense but not real board game experience, so I'm curious if Tokyo Metro is well regarded. The lack of chatter in this thread has me suspect as well.

Tokyo metro is fantastic. I was raving about it months ago and I still play it but it's rotated out from my group's active rotation at the moment. It's a bit fiddly when it comes to running the trains but the trick is to have one person counting the # of stops while another counts the payout. The game has share-dilution mechanics so a little different from 18xx but similar effects. It's much more approachable than an 18xx since the game is a worker placement. If you do decide to get it, iron out the stock tracker first. The wooden markers are very small and easily affected by the folds.

Import/Export is more or less the hand management/tableau builder card game my friends and I play nowadays. His other games besides Turin market are mostly Japanese designers and lighter fare. I like them, but the games Draper designs are most assuredly the heavier economic games. Look into Tsukiji fish market as well.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 27, 2019

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

OrthoTrot posted:

Thanks for the good tips in general, but this in particular was very helpful. A quick Google search shows the same company with a better deal via their own website. Brilliant.

The game is Vengeance. It looks good for £50, but I'm not so sure I'd pay £100 for it. Even still I'm not sure I can justify it. I've gone a bit profligate and bought a lot of games recently.
There's a kickstarter for the expansion coming in late October. The low price is probably just bringing it inline on what they'll be charging for the reprinted base game during the ks.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Aerox posted:

I've only played as the Chisel, but off the top of my head the first thing that comes to mind as a concern is money. In a four detective game cash is already pretty tight for the detectives (even though the kickback action scales with the number of players) -- I think people would blow through their cash pretty quickly and with clues distributed to so many different players and having to sit through four full turns (likely full of questioning you'll want to bribe on) before getting a chance to replenish money it might be very difficult for any single player to get enough information to really solve the case.

Additionally, (and this is really only for the earlier/easy cases), there aren't really enough suspects or things to do to support five players. The person who goes last might not even have an opportunity to get any clues at all for themselves.

That said, the first problem certainly isn't unsolvable, and the second problem probably goes away in most of the later/expansion cases.

Thanks! Sounds like we should probably stick to four detectives for the first few games, but after we get a better sense of the balance adding a fifth shouldn't be too unreasonable.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Hey, the digital Through the Ages expansion gives you access to the cards on all platforms if you play on mobile + steam. Pretty neat and generous of CGE.

Can expansion owners play with non-owners (and use the expansion) like in Dominion?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Cleo does pay out on urban buildings which is nice but also kinda finicky to use. Agree on Coliseum. I'll have to try out Sun Tzu more. Since people are actually reading these:

I don't really understand what Nostradamus is supposed to do. He can be worth a decent amount of culture, but at the opportunity cost of not having a leader that can kickstart your economy and/or military engines. Being able to deter aggressions is nice I suppose but it's ultimately a very passive bonus that doesn't allow you to really exert any pressure. I don't think knowing what goes into the event deck is nearly enough for him to do not much else. Especially considering you still won't know precisely what's coming next.

As I stated earlier, Isabella is a sneaky good wonder builder. The extra rock and blue tokens means you can produce well even without Iron and mitigate the corruption issues that so often plague wonder-heavy strategies. It does mean you'll need some combination of Pyramids/Monarchy/CoL for enough CAs to work comfortably. Pairs incredibly well with Cleopatra I find.

medchem posted:

CGE is definitely one of my favorite companies as far as not overproducing and being generous with content.

You could say they do a good job avoiding corruption :smug:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Tokyo Metro is great. We use a piece of plexiglass to keep it flat though.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't really understand what Nostradamus is supposed to do. He can be worth a decent amount of culture, but at the opportunity cost of not having a leader that can kickstart your economy and/or military engines. Being able to deter aggressions is nice I suppose but it's ultimately a very passive bonus that doesn't allow you to really exert any pressure. I don't think knowing what goes into the event deck is nearly enough for him to do not much else. Especially considering you still won't know precisely what's coming next.

I haven't really been using him, but I do think he'll be better in all-human lobbies where people are contesting for relative strength more heavily. So I'm hesitant to write him off until I get some online lobbies and not just bot games. But it's really easy to not be dead last vs. bots, and I feel like Nostradamus's main benefit is probably being Age I's Gandhi.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hito posted:

I haven't really been using him, but I do think he'll be better in all-human lobbies where people are contesting for relative strength more heavily. So I'm hesitant to write him off until I get some online lobbies and not just bot games. But it's really easy to not be dead last vs. bots, and I feel like Nostradamus's main benefit is probably being Age I's Gandhi.

I can see that, and hes definitely better against peoplr. That said his role would be different, Ghandi is more about protecting an existing culture lead so Nostra would be about ignoring military to just boom. Not sure how well ots would work in practice though

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Can I get a quick thread opinion on the cities of splendor expansion? Friend and I just played the base game for the first time and it was enough to make me want to pick it up (at tabletop expo in London rn) but they also have the expansion here for £20. Seems like it might be one of those cases where it messes with the tightness of the core experience too much. Thanks!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’s not worth the money really. Just proxy the big cylinder pieces for the strongholds module and ignore the rest.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

My brother in law is stationed in Germany and he’s ordering me the Oink Modern Art from Amazon.de. Any other games only available there I should look for?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

FalCon 2019 Trip Report

Sidereal Confluence - Played with 9 players, had a blast. I learned that I can't play Unity for poo poo, but I feel like they also struggle since they have so much competition that they can't charge a premium for their wilds.

Quodd Heroes - This is sort of an action programming game where you play a cubic character. On each turn you tumble it over so that one of the cube's faces (either an actual face, an arm, feet, back, etc.) is showing up. Each face has has a corresponding move action that you will have assigned before the game starts that you will then activate. One face will always be used to change up your face assignments.

I had a really fun time with this one. I've heard it called a successor to Robo Rally, and that definitely makes sense. The action programming element is a little light, since you can put two good faces right next to each other and just switch between them every turn, but there's so much chaos on the board and with other people's powers and interference that you'll often need to deviate from that. It's very satisfying, though, to plan a sequence of turns very well, and while there are a ton of item cards and random effects in the game, they are never so overwhelming that you don't feel like you don't have control over what happens to your character.

The strongest aspect of the game are how it looks. Each "Quodd Hero" has a ton of personality in their art, but there 's a major downside in that you absolutely must have your minis painted. Otherwise it would be impossible not only to tell each Hero apart, but also the individual faces.

Pipeline: My favorite game of the con so far. I was initially worried about this game based on the reviews that argued that it was challenging and punishing, but I found it actually fairly approachable. Taking loans does give you stiff penalties, but a penalty of 20-100 bucks isn't that bad in a game where good scores are 500-700 dollars.

There's a lot of figures on the board, but the arithmetic involved in making a good turn is fairly simple. I also appreciated how many different approaches there are in the game. I got $520 without any upgrades or machines just by focusing on getting and fulfilling strong contracts. I actually made more honest cash than the person who won, but they got $280 from a strong valuation card (the one where you get money for having different kinds and lengths of pipes). That's my main criticism of the game, that the different valuation (public endgame scoring) cards potentially offer wildly different amounts of money.

Otherwise, I'd say it stands with Sidereal Confluence as a game that looks intimidating, but that actually has easily understandable goals and mechanics. I was shocked by how quickly turns went in this game.

Barrage - This one was a disappointment. I love the setting, and the central mechanic of capturing and controlling water in dams is so cool. The map has so many neat quirks offering you different ways to move water and score energy. It's very satisfying to design an infrastructure, and then come up with a way to build that infrastructure by managing your supply wheel. Each time you build something on the map, you add robots to a wheel and turn it. You can choose a worker placement action to move the wheel, but you can also move the wheel by starting a new project. Therefore, if you manage your projects just right, you can actually move your robots halfway around the board without manually moving it at all.

The goal of constructing things on the map is to generate energy, moving along the energy track. The farther you move up the energy track the more bennies you get, not the least of which is a fat stack of victory points for getting the furthest on the track. Conceptually, this could lead to a runaway leader problem, since you can use the infrastructure that got you the lead round one to then get the lead in round 2 and so on. The real problem, though, is the catchup mechanism used to correct this: the person who got furthest on the energy track in a round then goes last for the entire next round. As this is a worker placement game, going last is bad, and in this game it's especially punishing. For example, the guy who won our game scored about 40% of his points from contracts, which give you additional points and other bennies for moving up the energy track. The spots for getting the contracts are some of the tightest and therefore most competitive spots. If you're last in a four player game, it's very hard for you to get good contracts. Because it's so bad to go last, it feels like you get punished for doing well in the game. Feel free to take what I saw with a grain of salt, since I don't like worker placement in general, but I really wanted to like this game for its design and theme.

Argent: the Consortium - Hey, a worker placement game I actually like! Argent's pretty open and simple as far as worker placement goes, so it feels like you're in a playground. The main pressure point is balancing gathering information with actually getting the resources you need to win voters and the interaction with other players. Since there's so many ways to move other people's workers around you never feel like you're completely shut out of something. You just need to turn good turns into better turns and other people better turns into slightly worse ones. To me, that intentionality feels better than the game forcing you into conflict and bad plays through turn order.

Bottom Liner posted:

My brother in law is stationed in Germany and he’s ordering me the Oink Modern Art from Amazon.de. Any other games only available there I should look for?

Maybe one of the Drei Magier Spiele games?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

StashAugustine posted:

I can see that, and hes definitely better against peoplr. That said his role would be different, Ghandi is more about protecting an existing culture lead so Nostra would be about ignoring military to just boom. Not sure how well ots would work in practice though

Trip report, played some online games, used Nostradamus for exactly this, and won. Dudes actually fine! He lets you neglect your military, but you need to get it exactly right where you get him BEFORE you commit stuff to military. If I had a miltary tech researched, I probably wouldn't have bothered - his benefit was that I could coast on 2 science for a bonkers long time, until I had Machu Picchu/Irrigation and could swap to Maria Theresa to grow science (in the nick of time - a War over Tech had been declared on me).

Still on the lower tier, but has a place.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That's a good point. I actually just played a game where I messed up badly and lost but realized Maria Theresa can be pretty good if I'd set it up more- more to follow:

Maria Theresa: She's pretty good for colonization and/or Himeji Castle spam. She can give you science so you can let that infrastructure slide a little, and the rocks are not only good for catching up from behind but also for temporarily dipping below your opponents because you just sacked units (remember it kicks in at the start of the action phase)
Catherine the Great: 2 culture 1 mil action is pretty decent, and her ability is pretty good. If you're already in front of military (and probably if Napoleon isn't in the game) she's a good pick for messing with other players. She gets more interesting in 3/4P but I haven't played that much
James Watt: Really good for the bronze-> coal strat (4 science 4 rocks is easy to get, and an efficient upgrade/rich land makes it pay back immediately.) I tend to grab Irrigation so I don't use him with farms as much, but it should be pointed out that he can upgrade them for literally free. Also I guess a bit of culture, but you're picking him to kickstart your economy.
Antoni Gaudi: I personally am not a huge fan since I usually see urban buildings as constrained by rocks not science (see previous comment about bronze) but he's basically a more flexible/less potential Shakespeare if you've got your rocks in order. Fun combo with some of the new urban building support too.
Alfred Nobel: Not bad I guess. He gets Newton's science for free (without the age 3 upgrade) and also a bit of strength (probably not a lot in that era). I suspect if you pick him you're mostly picking him for his prizes, which can be good if you call the situation right, but it depends on you having stronger science in the future than your opponents (which does make the fact that he doesn't need infrastructure for his ability less good)
Charles Darwin: Haven't picked him yet, so speculation. Really strong culture bonus now that I reread it, and the tech card bonus is okay (especially given that he demands a lot of science). Keep in mind the temple penalty though (anyone know how it interacts with religion/St. Peters?)
Harvard College: Universitas Carolina Mk II (or LoA mk III), and a bit easier to construct.The civil card bonus is pretty ok and can pay off on the last turn too- especially if you managed to actually finish Silk Road.
Louvre: Haven't built it. At best, its a shitload of culture that's a bit easier to get than Eiffel Tower (albeit without the happy face), but it will gently caress you on corruption so that's less of a bonus. Cashing in the cubes feels like it's gonna need more practice to see what's good but if it gives you an extra Movies last turn or a crucial soldier in a war that's pretty good.
Statue of Liberty: Hell of a good wonder. Needs good production to build efficiently, but a Vast Territory for free is strong as hell, plus you'll probably get some decent culture from it.
Suez Canal: See above about "Vast Territory for free." Swingiest wonder in the game- it can completely whiff if you don't pull anything, if you get a Vast/Developed/Inhabited/Autonomous it's basically a Statue (or in the latter case Kremlin) that trades culture for rocks, if you're an imperialist rear end in a top hat with Cook and a half dozen colonies GG. I probably wouldn't pick it unless I was holding a good colony, but if you are definitely take a shot at it. (I wonder if the good age I territories are worth holding?)

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty much agree, although I think you're sleeping on Nobel a little. The thing is, with the additional science from Wonders and the additional yellow tokens, it's considerably easier to avoid upgrading labs in New Leaders and Wonders than it is in base. So while upgrading your labs is something you did in most games of old Through the Ages - barring the occasional early Library to Shakespeare - your science income can be a lot more variable now, and not needing to sink science, resources, workers, and civils into upgrading science gives you a lot of freedom on other axes. So I think the "not needing infrastructure" is actually his biggest selling point, and quite frankly I'm okay taking him when I suspect my opponent will get more out of the prize than I will.

Louvre is good in a nice and obvious way - if you have rocks but need culture, it's there for you. I think by the time it comes around, you're usually in a spot where you can handle the corruption okay (maybe if you're running a Machu Picchu setup you'll have problems?). In my experience, you can usually save the blues for endgame, although like you mention the fact that it lets you stretch to hit a tactic or key urban building is a good selling point. It's strong but I agree Liberty is stronger.

Similarly, having run Darwin, your instincts are pretty much right - he's really strong if you have upgraded science and a non-temple happiness plan, and he's bad if you don't. Don't know how it interacts with St. Peters.

I disagree on the "why" for Gaudi - in my experience, food limits urban buildings a lot more than rocks, especially with the Masonry tech line. But it's kind of academic because I have him in the same rating of "when the stars align, he's good, but they don't align that often."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Agree on the point about food, though the reason I didnt bring it up is that neither Shakespeare or Gaudi helps you with it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Anybody home? What'd y'all play over the weekend? I played Barrage with some super mean people! I mean they are nice in real life but not in the game!! I lost of course, clearly I need to be meaner :)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

Anybody home? What'd y'all play over the weekend? I played Barrage with some super mean people! I mean they are nice in real life but not in the game!! I lost of course, clearly I need to be meaner :)

Played Barrage last week as well as Underwater Cities. Love both. Barrage has just the right level of interaction for me. Some real opportunities to be mean or, alternately, to form some really interesting symbiotic relationships (I think one player fed another about 10 VP and cash because of a well-placed conduit at a critical location.)

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Mayveena posted:

We're in the process of getting stuff off the shelf I havent touched in a while and playing it before deciding whether or not to get rid of it. Sunday was Power Grid Factory Manager. Its not a bad game per se but theres just not enough to it to make me want to play it a lot. The market mechanic is interesting but ultimately not exciting enough to make people want to play again. Its too much money counting for not enough payout. I'll be a little sad to get rid of it since it was a secret santa gift from here years back.

Other than that we played more Feast for Odin which is a really wonderful game and a great fit for us. With the expansion its really nice to see that we can do very different strategies and end up close in score.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I didn't play anything this weekend, but I'm still doing playtests most days during the week.

This Friday, I'm going to play some Root and introduce some friends to FunkoVerse (much better than it sounds)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
played a few rounds of the estates and helped facilitate a 6p game of root. my recommendation is not to play 6p root overall but if you do keep the vagabonds from sitting next to each other.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I played Fire of Eidolon for the first time over the weekend. It's a dungeon crawl that's inspired by an homage to a ripoff of Forbidden Island, made a little more interesting by an "8-bit JRPG" setting and some unique character powers.

I liked it fine, but it's mostly "more complicated Forbidden Island". The characters are arguably more powerful than the roles in FI, but you don't get access any "panic button" abilities (like Helicopter Lift and Sandbags), which can lead to a feeling of lack of agency if the cards don't fall your way.

I think I'd still probably play this over FI, but it's nothing groundbreaking in the co-op space, and it does totally fall victim to the quarterbacking problem.

Then we played some Magic Maze, and all was right with the world.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My gloomhaven got cancelled because the host had a gigantic hole in his wall but I got some short notice A feast for Odin in. I didn't win. I don't have the Norwegians figured out yet.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I played Sabotage for the first time over the weekend, and had a lot of fun with it as the spies. It's tense as poo poo wondering if the villains know where you are. We won, but it was close.

The gradual gaining of skills through the game gives it a nice arc. At the beginning, you're just stepping around but as you unlock more and more things as spies, you start to become more unknowable and hard to find. The villains, on the other hand, go from silently shuffling around and recharging generators to suddenly announcing 'rocket launcher on these spaces, get fuuuucked'.

The villains did pretty well at the beginning, but had a hard time keeping track of us - they didn't use powers enough to reveal our locations, which slows spies down and reduces their action pool, opting instead to attack us, which advances their victory track. Would've worked, except by the end I was literally teleporting to a beacon I could set down, while my partner was setting up holograms left right and center. And with our increased action pool, it was tough to stop us.

I'm looking forward to playing it again - the game has a lot of replayability with what villains/spies you choose (two out of a pool of four, for each), and then what powers you choose to take when you level up your abilities (you get a choice of two level 2 and two level 3 abilities). I'd like to play the villains and see what it's like being the cat in this cat and mouse game. Plus the game is really nicely produced, with great minis, a good box insert, and a box that doubles as a divider between the two teams.

Plus, when I told customer support that my second game (for my friend) didn't get sent, they sent it a couple days later along with 'another game from the warehouse' to apologize, so I'm curious what I'm getting. Of course, it arrives while I'm at SHUX, so I'll have to wait...

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I'd bought Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for the family last year, as a light cooperative game for us to play together, but we never ended up opening it. Last night I suggested it to my little sister (who's not a gamer at all) and we gave it a try. She really liked it!

We played through the first three years (it has modules for each of the 7 years of the books), and the game did a good job of teaching the mechanics early on, and slowly ramping up the tension and difficulty. Now she's insisting that we finish the rest of the game as soon as possible :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So in 4p Pax Pamir, should you be aiming for two coalitions? In both games we played (obviously not a big sample), it just feels impossible to catch up on board presence in a 2-1-1 configuration for the 1s.