Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Live footage of the immune system of big law partners:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My friend who is in Big Law is currently running a 100 degree fever and almost fainted while getting to work but can't take a few days off because the senior partner in charge of the deal is already out after half his face got paralyzed due to stress.

At least he's making 150k a year, I guess.

the gently caress kind of 100 degree fever causes someone to nearly faint, that's barely a fever. plenty of people tend to run about that hot normally.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

evilweasel posted:

the gently caress kind of 100 degree fever causes someone to nearly faint, that's barely a fever. plenty of people tend to run about that hot normally.

I think op meant they both happened bc of an illness that likely has additional symptoms that are making their life miserable

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Look at the big man with his big fevers.

Hoshi posted:

I think op meant they both happened bc of an illness that likely has additional symptoms that are making their life miserable

yeah, he's been feverish for days now + he has chronic migraines that flare up under stress so basically he's the ideal big law candidate

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
fuckin love that the idea of someone -- even a random third party who doesn't even post in this thread -- taking a sick day is so anathema to a biglaw partner that he automatically begins disqualifying it lest he be forced to face his fundamental inhumanity

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
When you're on the right side of morality you ain't got time to bleed

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Popero posted:

When you're on the right side of morality you ain't got time to bleed

lol I had forgotten about that post already

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
one hundred degrees isn’t even a fever. The threshold is 100.4.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

if your fever wouldn't concern me in my toddler i ain't going to be concerned about it in an associate

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

El_Elegante posted:

one hundred degrees isn’t even a fever. The threshold is 100.4.

notch another one for the "evilweasel was on the right side" category :hellyeah:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

realpost: if i have to travel for work should i deliberately change my flight so i'm not on a plane with any other people from my firm so i can play my switch on the plane without shame

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Here's an ethical quandary that just dropped into my lap. Our firm represents a client in a PI case. Case has merit, and opposing party is liable. After a lot of back and forth bullshit with the opposing party re: medpay and such, we got a local doctor and hospital to agree to do a needed surgery with a lien on recovery. Client today called and said that after he has the needed surgery, he's going to skip town and abandon litigation.

My state ethics hotline is closed for Rosh Hashanah, so I can't get advice from them. My initial thought is that this is grounds for withdrawal and we should definitely not have him get the surgery next week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

My friend who is in Big Law is currently running a 100 degree fever and almost fainted while getting to work but can't take a few days off because the senior partner in charge of the deal is already out after half his face got paralyzed due to stress.

At least he's making 150k a year, I guess.

Sounds like your friend needs to toughen up. He'll never sniff market comp (not 150k btw), much less partner if he gets taken out by a "100 degree fever." Hell, back in my day,

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

evilweasel posted:

if your fever wouldn't concern me in my toddler i ain't going to be concerned about it in an associate

Good heavens, Pennysworth, why do we bother to fund sickhouses for the poor if they continue to miss their shifts?!

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Also kids get crazy fevers, like your pediatrician won't bat an eye at 105, so your thinking is completely backwards.

Yes on the travel thing though, even without mile-high videogames.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i've called my friend and he tells me his fever is now over 9000

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Popero posted:

Also kids get crazy fevers, like your pediatrician won't bat an eye at 105, so your thinking is completely backwards.

Yes on the travel thing though, even without mile-high videogames.

what my pediatrician won't bat an eye at and what I won't bat an eye at when it comes to my toddler are two very different things

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Shouldn't that be your wife's problem

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

blarzgh posted:

You have to use a pretty sideways definition of "democracy" to claim it doesn't currently exist in like 250 countries

It's democracy when the people and policies I like win out, it's electoralism when they don't.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres

evilweasel posted:

realpost: if i have to travel for work should i deliberately change my flight so i'm not on a plane with any other people from my firm so i can play my switch on the plane without shame
yes. I hate traveling with other people I work with because I have to pretend to work the whole time.

Also: the random feverish associate should just take a sick day. If you're sick, you're sick. No one's gonna ask how high your fever is. Just stay home, log in and work from home (if you can) and tell people you are under the weather, and no one will really care. Biglaw partners are used to associates quitting right before the deal signs; someone who's sick and logs in from home isn't going to be a problem.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's an ethical quandary that just dropped into my lap. Our firm represents a client in a PI case. Case has merit, and opposing party is liable. After a lot of back and forth bullshit with the opposing party re: medpay and such, we got a local doctor and hospital to agree to do a needed surgery with a lien on recovery. Client today called and said that after he has the needed surgery, he's going to skip town and abandon litigation.

My state ethics hotline is closed for Rosh Hashanah, so I can't get advice from them. My initial thought is that this is grounds for withdrawal and we should definitely not have him get the surgery next week.

:toot::jewish::toot:

You're thinking in the right direction, and I think you'd be fine with just withdrawing. The 'shall' language in 4-1.16 covers you pretty well. You might have client come in for a talk and lay out the situation if you think that might change his mind re: his fraud (and if you'd want to carry that risk of him saying he wouldn't run but running anyway)

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

100 ain’t a real fever and 150k ain’t real biglaw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I take sick days when I feel tired

Lol

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
gently caress all y’all if I’m feeling lovely enough to take my temperature if I’m a bp over 99.5 I’m using that as an excuse to at least work from home if not play video games all day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

evilweasel posted:

How the gently caress is this a real question?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

How the gently caress is this a real question?

I wanted to confirm it wasn’t just my dislike of work socializing pushing me to do it and that I wasn’t being weird

thankfully I haven’t played the remake of links awakening yet

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Child me could never finish trading my poo poo up for whatever came at the end of that chain of transactions

Makes u think

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My company doesn’t even do sick days. I was sick this past spring for three days and it was just an “occurrence” and not a big deal. Pretty awesome IMO.

Also, PA bar results are supposedly this week and I’m flying to Vegas tomorrow morning for the week with a couple of my buddies from the PD’s office. Not a bad place to find out if I passed or failed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Like 95% of first time pa takers pass iirc

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The weird part is that you care if people see you playing your switch

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Like 95% of first time pa takers pass iirc

Toona is an exceptional person.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

blarzgh posted:

The weird part is that you care if people see you playing your switch

Big law associates are like Baptist ladies and drinking. They all do it but would be horrified if someone they know saw them do it.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Toona the Cat posted:

Also, PA bar results are supposedly this week and I’m flying to Vegas tomorrow morning for the week with a couple of my buddies from the PD’s office. Not a bad place to find out if I passed or failed.

Just do what I did when I found out I passed* the Nevada bar exam: go to Frankie's Tiki Room and drink til some random Brit calls you a oval office for passing out on the floor.

Actually considering doing that now, but more to get a break from the non-stop self-loathing and regret than to celebrate anything.

*This actually happened within hours of finishing the exam, but I was very certain I was going to pass.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Big law associates are like Baptist ladies and drinking. They all do it but would be horrified if someone they know saw them do it.

Y'all could use a healthy dose of "gently caress 'em"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Toona the Cat posted:

I know where this is going.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I know where this is going.

Yeah, I think we all know how this ends:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-berkeley-student-exotic-bird-beheading-20131016-story.html

A UC Berkeley law school graduate student was sentenced to six months at a prison boot camp Wednesday for beheading an exotic bird during a drunken chase at a Las Vegas Strip resort.

Justin Alexander Teixeira, 25, will serve his sentence at a prison boot camp at High Desert State Prison in Indian Springs outside Las Vegas. Upon successful completion of the program and three to five years of probation, his felony charge could be reduced to a misdemeanor, the Associated Press reported. He could face one to four years in prison if he fails the program.

Teixeira pleaded guilty to decapitating the bird, avoiding trial on the charge, as well as two other felony counts that could have led to up to eight years in prison, according to the Associated Press.

Two other UC Berkeley students involved in the incident, Eric Cuellar, 25, and Hazhir Kargaran, 26, pleaded guilty to misdemeanors. They were fined and sentenced to community service.

Security video showed Teixeira and the two other students laughing and chasing a 14-year-old helmeted guinea fowl, a chicken-sized bird, around the Flamingo Hotel’s Wildlife Habitat on Oct. 12, 2012. Teixeira wrung the bird’s neck, and tossed the body one way and the head into nearby rocks, the AP reported.

He will learn whether he passed the California bar exam next month, his attorney said. Whether he will be allowed to practice law could depend on whether the felony remains on his record. 

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Yeah, I think we all know how this ends:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-berkeley-student-exotic-bird-beheading-20131016-story.html

A UC Berkeley law school graduate student was sentenced to six months at a prison boot camp Wednesday for beheading an exotic bird during a drunken chase at a Las Vegas Strip resort.

Justin Alexander Teixeira, 25, will serve his sentence at a prison boot camp at High Desert State Prison in Indian Springs outside Las Vegas. Upon successful completion of the program and three to five years of probation, his felony charge could be reduced to a misdemeanor, the Associated Press reported. He could face one to four years in prison if he fails the program.

Teixeira pleaded guilty to decapitating the bird, avoiding trial on the charge, as well as two other felony counts that could have led to up to eight years in prison, according to the Associated Press.

Two other UC Berkeley students involved in the incident, Eric Cuellar, 25, and Hazhir Kargaran, 26, pleaded guilty to misdemeanors. They were fined and sentenced to community service.

Security video showed Teixeira and the two other students laughing and chasing a 14-year-old helmeted guinea fowl, a chicken-sized bird, around the Flamingo Hotel’s Wildlife Habitat on Oct. 12, 2012. Teixeira wrung the bird’s neck, and tossed the body one way and the head into nearby rocks, the AP reported.

He will learn whether he passed the California bar exam next month, his attorney said. Whether he will be allowed to practice law could depend on whether the felony remains on his record. 

This is what you get for giving John Yoo a professorship.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I guess that guy never made it into legal practice for obvious reasons, but he works at SoFi (student loan refinancing service/bank) now as some sort of senior manager. So ultimately Toona is still on track to follow his trajectory, just gotta choke that chicken and he's there.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

I guess that guy never made it into legal practice for obvious reasons, but he works at SoFi (student loan refinancing service/bank) now as some sort of senior manager. So ultimately Toona is still on track to follow his trajectory, just gotta choke that chicken and he's there.

I'm sure John Yoo could hook him up with a job at ...

Vox Nihili posted:

Teixeira wrung the bird’s neck, and tossed the body one way and the head into nearby rocks, the AP reported.

joat mon posted:

e: I'm digging the idea of what OLC's offices look like now. I'm thinking a seedy den of bokors with mostly Petro veves all over.

He'd be a perfect fit for OLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

sullat posted:

Toona is an exceptional person.

Lmao