Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Sorites posted:

Every FO4 playthrough I've ever done saw my character wear power armor on a more or less permanent basis, starting from that first quest on.

Enemies with regular ballistic weapons can still get one hit kills from a mile away.

It's very weird.

How do you manage to keep a steady supply of fusion cores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Foul Ole Ron posted:

How do you manage to keep a steady supply of fusion cores?

Mod that poo poo because it's stupid.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

The perk that makes you find more ammo doesn't just increase the size of existing stacks - it randomly spawns ammo into containers when you first loot them.

Fusion Cores are eligible.

I'm constantly having to store cores back at base because they get so heavy. I think my current character has over 100.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 30, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I don't even have that perk and the game still throws cores at me like candy. I barely ever use my power armor though, so I just sell most of them.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So our dad left and that's why everyone is trying to kill us?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You don't just leave the vault, unless you're one of those people who got to leave the vault.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I've heard of daddy issues before, but this takes the prize.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This Taken fan fiction is getting it all wrong, Liam Neeson doesn't get kidnapped dammit!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I usually murderized that whiney bitch tinpot dictator on my playthroughs, but for some reason Amata always takes it the wrong way if you do. What a daddy's girl.:bahgawd:

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So our dad left and that's why everyone is trying to kill us?

Yep. They also killed the only other person with medical knowledge in the process, as well as gunned down at least another couple that they have known all their life. The Overseer and guards, minus the one actual nice one, are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stupidity/incredible shortsightedness though. Also, so far, Dad has given just about zero reason for leaving when he did except, "Welp, I feel it is time. Later! Hope the Overseer doesn't flip out when I prove that people can leave the Vault."

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

UED Special Ops posted:

Yep. They also killed the only other person with medical knowledge in the process, as well as gunned down at least another couple that they have known all their life. The Overseer and guards, minus the one actual nice one, are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to stupidity/incredible shortsightedness though. Also, so far, Dad has given just about zero reason for leaving when he did except, "Welp, I feel it is time. Later! Hope the Overseer doesn't flip out when I prove that people can leave the Vault."

"Also lol don't follow me even though I may have made everyone in the vault want to kill you by extension." Liam Neeson is not a good dad.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'd give Dad the benefit of the doubt. I doubt he expected things to get to the 'killing his assistant and only other medical person in the entire vault' levels of bad.

I mean, it's not really sold too hard that 'you are born in the vault, you die in the vault. no one leaves' has become dogma to some of the people in the vault. And it's a common trope that people who take dogma seriously tend to flip the gently caress out when it's broken.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I played the poo poo out of this game when it came out. I think I had about 400 hours and this was on console so no mods for me.

I can recognize it's flaws and New Vegas is obviously superior but this game will always have a special place in my heart.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I enjoyed the game because it's a sandbox.

I used to collect land mines and then put them down and deactivate them. I'd space them apart in a chain so if one blew up it'd set off the next and that'd set off the next etc. One of my greatest achievements is creating a chain of landmines that killed everyone in the main foyer of tenpenny tower.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'd give Dad the benefit of the doubt. I doubt he expected things to get to the 'killing his assistant and only other medical person in the entire vault' levels of bad.

I mean, it's not really sold too hard that 'you are born in the vault, you die in the vault. no one leaves' has become dogma to some of the people in the vault. And it's a common trope that people who take dogma seriously tend to flip the gently caress out when it's broken.
Yeah, considering the Overseer is probably controlling what information about the outside his people have access to, they might think it's uninhabitable a la Dragon Quarter. Everyone in Vault 101 might be so indoctrinated with that that even if they don't like the Overseer, they support him fanatically because the alternative is death, both socially and physically.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, considering the Overseer is probably controlling what information about the outside his people have access to, they might think it's uninhabitable a la Dragon Quarter. Everyone in Vault 101 might be so indoctrinated with that that even if they don't like the Overseer, they support him fanatically because the alternative is death, both socially and physically.

The TV show, the 100 did this well ín the first season. Follow the leader and the rules or you get litterly spaced. But its ok, because of you don't all follow these rules, we all die horribly and that's the end of humanity.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

poo poo, he left the thread! Quick, let's murder anybody who knew him!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
The reaction to pops leaving by the other vault dwellers kind of makes some sense if you look at the math. The bombs fell in 2077 and that's when this vault was sealed, you were born in 2258 and by some miracle, the game starts proper in 2277. That's exactly 200 years and roughly 4 generations of people who have been lead to believe that not only can the vault never be opened, but if by some chance it were to happen, radiation, monsters, mutants and other bad things would kill everyone immediately. Now suddenly some uppity doctor decides it's a little too stuffy in the vault, opens the door and peaces out. He's doomed everyone, including his only child, seemingly on a whim - No explanation and no accountability. We're trying to argue rationality with people who have been living in a sealed bunker for 200 years with a controlling bastard in charge repeating the mantra of "No one ever leaves the vault".

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CzarChasm posted:

The reaction to pops leaving by the other vault dwellers kind of makes some sense if you look at the math. The bombs fell in 2077 and that's when this vault was sealed, you were born in 2258 and by some miracle, the game starts proper in 2277. That's exactly 200 years and roughly 4 generations of people who have been lead to believe that not only can the vault never be opened, but if by some chance it were to happen, radiation, monsters, mutants and other bad things would kill everyone immediately. Now suddenly some uppity doctor decides it's a little too stuffy in the vault, opens the door and peaces out. He's doomed everyone, including his only child, seemingly on a whim - No explanation and no accountability. We're trying to argue rationality with people who have been living in a sealed bunker for 200 years with a controlling bastard in charge repeating the mantra of "No one ever leaves the vault".

Except the whole thing was instigated by the Overseer, who very well knew that it was safe outside the vault. It is entirely possible that some of the guards in this massacre were also involved, or at least knew, about the expedition outside the vault.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't we learn already that daddy dear came from outside the vault in the first place?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, judging from what's been posted in the updates so far, it's been just-shy of outright explicitly stated that Liam Neeson came from outside the Vault originally and then Post-Nuclear Beth was born less than a year later.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dad would have no reason to think the Overseer would go homicidally insane over him leaving the vault, and even says as much in the recording. The Overseer had been extremely controlling (and hypocritical), but not openly murderous, over keeping his little kingdom following his rules.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hah, I remember trying to do a bit of roleplaying with the first guard that attacks you. Fired a warning shot in the air, took a couple of hits from him, thought, "Well, if I shoot him in the foot he'll probably survive and I can get away" and then bang, he was instantly dead and his foot flew twenty feet down the corridor.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Fallout 3 is like role playing in an Explosion Factory.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I distinctly remember killing one of the guards with a headshot (pretty sure with the BB gun), and his head was blown clean off.

And I didn’t realize it until I saw the loot window for him again when I went further down the corridor.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

My one favourite thing about Fallout 3 is its particular interpretation and implementation of Bloody Mess. I once punched someone in the face so hard their arms and legs all flew off in a starburst pattern and their torso plopped straight down, landing balanced upright on its pelvis.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Regalingualius posted:

I distinctly remember killing one of the guards with a headshot (pretty sure with the BB gun), and his head was blown clean off.

And I didn’t realize it until I saw the loot window for him again when I went further down the corridor.

In the editor, weapons have a drop-down menu to set their dismemberment type. You can choose from:

- Normal formula: chance to explode or dismember limb
- Explode chance only
- Dismember chance only
- No explosion/dismemberment

So it would have been trivial to have (say) the BB gun not knock character's heads off... but nope.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If bodies aren’t exploding you’re playing wrong.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's like being the person who plays Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights with the setting that enables ludicrous instagib crits off. What kind of weirdo does that?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I do love being able to loot an entire suit of power armor out of a man's eyeball.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I love the spoilers we can see in the title image

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Azza Bamboo posted:

I love the spoilers we can see in the title image

I-I thought you were dead, Jack?!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I do love being able to loot an entire suit of power armor out of a man's eyeball.

It's especially handy when said suit is on some high ledge or roof and the eyeball is down on the street with you.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Add me to the list of folks who probably put 50+ hours into this game, yet kind of hated it. And compared to FO:NV (which I consider the only good 3d Fallout), which I put hundreds of hours into, the writing in this is just so...bleh.

I do so love some of the set pieces though. Exploring the old subways and sewers was fun first time through. Plus, didn't FO3 introduce the Fat Man gun? Because boy, I love that gun. Not because it's practical, but but is sure fits the series.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mega64 posted:

If bodies aren’t exploding you’re playing wrong.

The only reason to not take Bloody Mess is in NV, and even then it's only before you get those Fiend bounties that pay extra if you bring their heads back intact.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Heir03 posted:

Add me to the list of folks who probably put 50+ hours into this game, yet kind of hated it. And compared to FO:NV (which I consider the only good 3d Fallout), which I put hundreds of hours into, the writing in this is just so...bleh.

I do so love some of the set pieces though. Exploring the old subways and sewers was fun first time through. Plus, didn't FO3 introduce the Fat Man gun? Because boy, I love that gun. Not because it's practical, but but is sure fits the series.

I mentioned this recently to a lad I know, that I played Fallout 3 to death but hated it. He was the same as well.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

CommissarMega posted:

The only reason to not take Bloody Mess is in NV, and even then it's only before you get those Fiend bounties that pay extra if you bring their heads back intact.

*Pushes glasses up, nasally clears throat* ACK-chually....

There's a quest in this game that sort of bugged out for me due to that perk. Again, there's no reason to not take it immediately after you've completed the quest in particular, or if you don't intend to complete the quest

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I don't take bloody mess because I like looting stuff from bodies and some bodies get very, very hard to find with that on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The overseer was where I discovered that Fallout 3 had dismemberment if a body was hit post-death.

Amata running into the room behind me and screaming 'OH MY GOD, DADDY!' at a pile of gibs did nothing for my nerves. :v: