Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Molly messing with this ham is pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0olmZzsF4Xo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yessssss new Amiel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpd_CUX2o98

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ranter posted:

I made this. Was way better than the first time I tried making that boxed curry with chicken thigh. I think the pork and a good stock are what make it great.

I used pork chops and it was a huge mistake. Meat got super dry and hard even with a pressure cooker. Also adding the honey made it gross. Skipping that next time.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I made the Babish Sopranos Pasta, the last one in the video. It was good, cheesy, but for the amount of work I probably won't do it often.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJjyyWFwUIOfKhb35WgCqVg

This Mexican grandma’s cooking channel started blowing up recently (too bad it’s all in spanish)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just started watching Chris Morocco's show where he does a blind taste test and tries to remake it. If he's playing by the rules, then wow, I'm super impressed, especially when he gets a second crack at that nut and dials it in

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Steve Yun posted:

This Mexican grandma’s cooking channel started blowing up recently (too bad it’s all in spanish)

Alice Waters would jerk off to this

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
been watching all of BA's stuff on youtube lately and glad to find there is a thread dedicated to it

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Steve Yun posted:

Over 800,000 subscribers. Hopefully her family is raking in the big $ now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM23kl0TExw

It’s a fifty fifty mix of :chef: / :jerkbag:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was a parody of those Chef's Table wankfests

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No, this is that.
https://youtu.be/SQGlCjzIPCc

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gone Fashing posted:

been watching all of BA's stuff on youtube lately and glad to find there is a thread dedicated to it

If you take away the video, it’s impossible for me to differentiate between Carla and Molly’s voices. Having them together on the podcast is confusing as all get out.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLdmbLH_Kxs

Ya know I forgot all my high school spanish but I’m glad I’m watching this anyways because you can learn a lot just by watching a cook’s hands

Edit: oh poo poo they’re starting to add subtitles to some vids

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 3, 2019

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I was so pressed and salty when she was like, "A lot of you been saying the stove is stained and dirty. It's stained, because I'm burning wood, and using it nonstop. And also, it's not dirty. I clean it every day."

Seriously, Internet. You think this lady is going to serve her family food made on a dirty surface, and post that on the Internet? Get a grip, people.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

That salsa looks dank :yum:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I used to watch an Asian (Korean?) woman on youtube that pronounced noodles in a funny way, funny personality, I think she sold t-shirts, and her military looking husband sometimes appeared in videos. She disappeared off my subs at some point and now I can't find her, sound familiar to anyone?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

wormil posted:

I used to watch an Asian (Korean?) woman on youtube that pronounced noodles in a funny way, funny personality, I think she sold t-shirts, and her military looking husband sometimes appeared in videos. She disappeared off my subs at some point and now I can't find her, sound familiar to anyone?

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Seonkyoung Longest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ5pTZbLIoA

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Whalley posted:

I'm pretty sure you're thinking about Seonkyoung Longest
Yep, that's her, thanks. Somehow I was unsubscribed and thought she hadn't been putting out videos.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Welp looks like Chefsteps is circling the drain

First they had a premium membership that was a single $40 payment for life. They had lots of great niche content for super tech nerds (centrifuges, lots of white powders) thanks to Gabe Newell’s funding. I guess this was not a great business plan but they had great output.

Then they developed a sous vide device and most of their recipes were sous vide, less technical and made public, I guess as a way to advertise their sous vide device

Then they laid off everyone and didn’t publish for 8 months.

Now they’re acquired by Breville, all their equipment is Breville now, most of the staff and the CEO are gone, and all their new content is behind a $70/y paywall and previous premium members are being asked to pony up again (although they get a $40 discount off the first year of the new chefsteps paywall)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/comments/dbyget/chefsteps_studio_pass/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 7, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
breville at least makes good poo poo. Maybe they can use all their science and know how and manufacturing expertise to figure out how to put controls on the joule.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Been immersing myself in Bon Appetit lately. Although some hosts definitely steal the scene more than others (Brad and Molly), I feel like each host is pretty good at carrying a segment on their own. Editing is fantastic.

somr things I really like are that everyone is open about their screwups, make themselves vulnerable and love ribbing each other

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's amazing how BA videos have changed in just a few years. Their channel used to have terrible videos like this. Annoying loud music and basically a paid advertisement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZ0maxb3MY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EuESxt1gPE

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Looking back it appears Carla has been there for many, many years, Claire was just a few months behind her, then....Andy? No idea when Brad and the rest showed up, lost interest after that cause Sour Patch Kids and BRAUN!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Looks like Sohla El-Waylly GTFO'd from Serious Eats over to BA.

Would explain why she hasn't had a new post on SE since October.

Can't say I blame her. I'm almost done with SE with all their reposts/roundups instead of new content and may jsut subscribe IRL to BA.

I do still reference a bunch of their older recipes tho, but you really do have to check and make sure its from Kenji/Daniel/staff and not just a contributor because a large amount of their contributor recipes are horribly broken.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 10, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Stella Parks is doing good work over at Serious Eats but besides that there's not much happening there lately.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Stella Parks is doing good work over at Serious Eats but besides that there's not much happening there lately.

:agreed:

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

toplitzin posted:

Can't say I blame her. I'm almost done with SE with all their reposts/roundups instead of new content and may jsut subscribe IRL to BA.
I've been subscribing to BA's physical magazine for a while now and I think it's worth it; there's a bunch of decent recipes and the writeups for things that aren't recipes are usually good reading. You can usually find like, a year's subscription for like $4 on sites like discountmags every now and then.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I still love Savuer as well, and most of their recipes nail it without much tweaking.

I just have a hard time getting print since it's just something else too throw out/recycle/take up space in my small house.

Edit: Who could have guessed, SE's update today is a sponsored referral buy poo poo link and yet another a recipe roundup of a bunch of poo poo they've already posted.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 10, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I get a ton of magazines (discountmags.com, wait for a sale). I take a pic of anything I want to keep. When I'm done I just leave the magazine at a Starbucks, in a subway station, etc.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I get a ton of magazines (discountmags.com, wait for a sale). I take a pic of anything I want to keep. When I'm done I just leave the magazine at a Starbucks, in a subway station, etc.
I keep them because of a misguided idea that, if I become a homeowner in the next few years like I'm planning, I can do a big crafty decoupage of delicious food photos as a kitchen backsplash.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
that sounds like something that could pretty easily cross the line from kitschy and crafty to just trashy, but id like to see how you would pull it off

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really wish I had a food dehydrator after watching this new Brad.

Also it looks like a future Gourmet Makes might be Mentos

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Methinks Kenji has switched priority to building his brick and mortar empire, travelling and raising his kid. How the man still finds time to cook for fun at home while owning a restaurant blows my mind. He must have had serious external financing and success to not be pulling 80 hours for it, being able to travel to south america for months < 12 months after opening...

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Ranter posted:

Methinks Kenji has switched priority to building his brick and mortar empire, travelling and raising his kid. How the man still finds time to cook for fun at home while owning a restaurant blows my mind. He must have had serious external financing and success to not be pulling 80 hours for it, being able to travel to south america for months < 12 months after opening...

I had the impression he's basically just the celebrity for the restaurant with maybe some consulting or ownership and other than that he's basically a stay-at-home dad.

Could be wrong though, ended up muting him on Twitter because I got tired of his completely impotent US politics rants that managed to not use any of the US politics words I have muted, so I'm not sure what he's been up to.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Oh no poo poo? I only follow his insta and its all pictures of food hes cooking with his kids and at the restaurant. But it totally makes sense that he's branding. Because holy poo poo he has a lot of free time if he was actually running the place.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He just started a new column at the NYT that involves huge testing

Afaik he's not branding for the restaurant, when he started he didn't have a clue he was going to have fanboys going. I think he is part owner but what he does is help establish the menu and processes, never like day-to-day managing afaik. I read somewhere he had done the same thing for restaurants in Boston, but nobody cared, which is why he didn't anticipate the "omg it's Kenji!!!!" thing this time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I really don’t appreciate the smashburgers he posts on Instagram from his restaurant.

He always posts them when I can’t get my own burgers and they make me hungry. :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was some social media backlash when he banned trump supporters from his restaurant. Sounded like an impotent rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Claire made Ruffles potato chips and my fingat was twitching when she was using the mandolin without the hand guard