Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

This episode hurts because I....was kind of a NEET for a couple years after I failed out of college. But then I feel better because I went back and have a job and a degree and an apartment and a car and a cat.

I’ve had my periods of depressed unemployment and I could see how someone falls into that lifestyle. The pride these people take in being that way, though, it’s insane. That’s where I lose my sympathy for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean hell, around this time last year I had a few months of unemployment. Played a lotta FFXIV between job applications.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean hell, around this time last year I had a few months of unemployment. Played a lotta FFXIV between job applications.

I’ve had a pair of stretches that almost hit a year. Not having a job is kind of fun at first but I don’t get how people like the 10 year guy don’t go insane.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm a uber-NEET and I found it pretty funny, even if I had to cringe on occasion.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

you should consider not being a NEET, uber or not

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Yeah this was definitely a "staring into the Abyss" episode, or at least it would have been about 14 years ago. Now there's just this sense of relief for having escaped that black hole and moving on with life.

There'd also be more sympathy for these guys if the word "wagecuck" never showed up... or the sexism... or the racism... or any of it really.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I guess I'm technically a NEET because of a disability/mental health issues but I'm certainly not proud of it. I'd never brag about it or anything. I hate that I'm in this position.

People who enjoy being like this make me cringe hard.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

coping is what you grind when you're skating pools, nerds

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

I guess I'm technically a NEET because of a disability/mental health issues but I'm certainly not proud of it. I'd never brag about it or anything. I hate that I'm in this position.

People who enjoy being like this make me cringe hard.

they don't enjoy being like that, they're trying so hard to convince each other and themselves they enjoy it because otherwise they'd have to admit they don't, and then they'd have to do something about it. Either fixing it or killing themselves are equally unattractive options to them.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Nah there are def people who like to just waste away in that state, and the only thing bringing them down is society/mom telling them they need to do something other than watch anime for 14 hours a day

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just clicked into a thread for NEETs dependent on their parents and holy hell a lot of them are planning on punching their own ticket when their parents die.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

I feel so badly for the woman posting about hosting one of these dudes. Maybe I'm projecting, but she sounds just like me when I was young and awkward. Saying "I like nerdy guys" really meant that I had low self esteem and thought I couldn't possibly do better.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I mean, there's "nerdy guys" and then there's, uh, these dudes. If you like anime you can get a boyfriend who also likes anime but also has a job and showers and poo poo, they exist, probably.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, honestly, it sounded more like she was looking for a nerdy dude who was less career-focused and more domestic, which is a completely reasonable thing to want and which plenty of good dudes fulfill, but the r/NEET guys suuuure don't

What I found most interesting about this episode was the unstated tension in the community between the people who seemed economically stable (the ones who were authentically rich, or at least getting by and having discretionary income) vs. the ones who obviously weren't. All the lovely coping mechanisms about WAGECUCKS SUCK NEET ARE THE TRUE INTELLECTUAL ARISTOCRACY are clearly trickling down from people who can economically survive that sort of thinking to people who can't, and that's really sad. (Almost as sad as the middle group, supported by their parents and not wanting/planning to outlive them.)

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I thought that one turned out midway though to be a gay male? The first hint it was a dude should have been that they were posting on r/NEET.

Nouvelle Vague
Feb 16, 2011

Endut! Hoch Hech!
Yeah, it was a gay guy.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oh yeah almost forgot, as someone who’s both Jewish and makes under $70k a year, really gently caress that first guy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Crocoswine posted:

you should consider not being a NEET, uber or not

Working on it. I've got the badbrains, but hopefully I'll finish my degree and begin life as a well paid and respected philosophy BA soon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All in all

this episode was real fuckin' NEETo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nouvelle Vague posted:

Yeah, it was a gay guy.

i feel like a gay neet might have a slightly higher chance of rejoining society than the other ones in that sub but maybe i'm biased because i'm gay and unemployed right now.

On the bright side, this episode gave me plenty of motivation to keep job searching.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I mean whether you're employed or not or you dropped out of school or whatever has no bearing on your worth or how good of a human being you are. These guys are rallying around being unemployed but the thing that actually unites them is their disdain for others, their belief that no one should be allowed to tell them to change, and their crippling depression.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Djeser posted:

I mean whether you're employed or not or you dropped out of school or whatever has no bearing on your worth or how good of a human being you are. These guys are rallying around being unemployed but the thing that actually unites them is their disdain for others, their belief that no one should be allowed to tell them to change, and their crippling depression.

This x 1000.

Had a girlfriend who graduated from college and didn't want to do anything. It was all beneath her. Entry level jobs in her field were demeaning, the people interviewing too demanding, her potential coworkers disgusting.

I was making enough money to cover rent and support her fine, all I wanted was for her to do something. Volunteer at an animal shelter, paint, workout, something. Doing nothing all day was causing such a depression spiral it was painful to love someone and watch them actively hate themselves more each day.

Eventually I had to wish her the best but it was clear that living with me wasn't good for her well-being. Which caused an explosive breakup that I'm still reeling from which is way outside the scope of this post.

I don't intrinsically have anything against NEETs, I've volunteered alongside a lot of people who inherited rental properties or turnkey businesses and who will never have to work a day in their lives. And it's not like my work is at all correlated with my pay while I watch people break their proverbial and literal backs for less (which is a hosed up thing I mentally deal with and try to make better as I can). But the ones in this FPlus episode? They can go gently caress themselves. Making it their identity that they sit around and play games and watch anime? As someone said upthread that's some abyss staring poo poo from my mid twenties.

gently caress.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

:toot:

BootsRaingear
Sep 10, 2013

I can't grow a beard.

gently caress.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
THE F PLUS IS TEN YEARS OLD AND LIKES FRIED CHICKEN

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!
Being a NEET seems to be more than just being a NEET, it's a state of being proud of it and wanting to maintain it.

Holy gently caress, Happy Birthday!

Ambious fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 1, 2019

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sheeeeit I wish someone could bankroll me staying home wallowing in my own filth and watching media. Those dudes got it all figured out

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Stickfigure posted:

Sheeeeit I wish someone could bankroll me staying home wallowing in my own filth and watching media. Those dudes got it all figured out
I own a business that basically runs itself at this point, so I could do that, but, I dunno man, putting on pants and doing poo poo does wonders for your mental health. I volunteer 36 hours a week because I know how doing nothing all the time goes for me from the last two times I lost my job. Time off is great but there’s definitely a “too much of a good thing” going on after a while.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I own a business that basically runs itself at this point, so I could do that, but, I dunno man, putting on pants and doing poo poo does wonders for your mental health. I volunteer 36 hours a week because I know how doing nothing all the time goes for me from the last two times I lost my job. Time off is great but there’s definitely a “too much of a good thing” going on after a while.

I could never get my head around this kind of stuff. I love the feeling of not doing poo poo and owing nothing to nobody. Like, maybe it starts feeling bad after some period of time, but tbh the last time I was inbetween jobs for like 2-4 months it ruled (well, besides looking for job part). Working without pay? Fuuuck that.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Stickfigure posted:

I could never get my head around this kind of stuff. I love the feeling of not doing poo poo and owing nothing to nobody. Like, maybe it starts feeling bad after some period of time, but tbh the last time I was inbetween jobs for like 2-4 months it ruled (well, besides looking for job part). Working without pay? Fuuuck that.

Work gives people human dignity, dog

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I get a headache if I lounge around all day at home on the weekend without leaving the house, I can’t imagine keeping it up for months or years.

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

Stickfigure posted:

Free time has diminishing returns, like most good things. The context also has a lot to do with it. I've had periods of time where I've been unemployed with no clue about my next move, and that was pretty rough. The few weeks I spent chilling at home playing Viscera Cleanup Detail after surgery was far more enjoyable. Knowing I had a job to go back to once my leave ended made a huge difference.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Waffleman_ posted:

This episode hurts because I....was kind of a NEET for a couple years after I failed out of college. But then I feel better because I went back and have a job and a degree and an apartment and a car and a cat.

drat you hosed up big time!!!

A Moose posted:

they don't enjoy being like that, they're trying so hard to convince each other and themselves they enjoy it because otherwise they'd have to admit they don't, and then they'd have to do something about it. Either fixing it or killing themselves are equally unattractive options to them.

The person who said they weren’t going to last past their 40s or 50s was the giveaway.

Hell yeah.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Work gives people human dignity, dog

Kurt Vonnegut said “Poverty is a relatively mild disease for even a very flimsy American soul, but uselessness will kill strong and weak souls alike, and kill every time.” and I’ve found myself agreeing with it.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess i'm an outlier, an embodiment of the caricature people use to argue against UBI.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
From Wrought at Ballp.it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqgOtMNmdiM

Edit: I just realized that Lou Reads turned ten back in March. Sorry for missing that, Lou. Happy ten years of podcasting anyway. :shobon:

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 1, 2019

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Stickfigure posted:

I guess i'm an outlier, an embodiment of the caricature people use to argue against UBI.

In my country we make them do busywork for six months because it's for their own good. The sneering self-righteous impulse works both ways.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

F Plus: Ten Years Old and Likes Fried Chicken

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Two more years before they're not lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Labour does not make you valuable as a human being, and people who are not engaging in voluntary labour are sick, not lazy or in need of your cruelty paternalism. People when healthy want to work, but "not going outside or doing anything" is a massive, obvious byword for depression. Which doesn't excuse the toxicity of that reddit, but it means it is a material failure of society, not of the reddit dorks, to give them the resources to work on their holistic health.

NEETs (myself unfortunately included) need therapy and communism is what I'm saying.