Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Sure, Giuliani got subpoenaed, but how is anybody going to nail him on anything when all the congresspeople are doing this?

edit: ah geez, here you go

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1178790586817634304?s=19

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Meanwhile, in other parts of the executive branch

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1178792387713388544

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. why the gently caress would he do that. i feel like barr will throw trump under the bus, doing your bosses dumb dirty work is one thing but now he is directly a target and will probably end up as a scapegoat/sacrifice, i doubt he wants that.

If he takes responsibility Trump can pardon him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am sorry, i know this was technically "after" mueller, but where the gently caress was he on all of this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBGreene/status/1178782028243668992

Australia is gonna sell trump out too.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1178790007290699777

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I'm loving the ridiculous fiction that the Attorney General of the United States of America needs to be personally introduced to world leaders by the President in order for them to respond to document requests.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorry, i know this was technically "after" mueller, but where the gently caress was he on all of this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBGreene/status/1178782028243668992

You're assuming they're talking about the impeachment investigation and not the 2016 Russian election interference investigation investigation, which since Australia is run by chuds at the moment, could well be.

Tunafish
Jun 13, 2003
King of all that is suck
Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

also at the sad as hell intersection of working poverty and childcare - 24 hour drop in daycare centers

https://psmag.com/economics/rise-extreme-daycare-working-24-hour-children-school-93860

Following along like normal to see the news / spot disinformation / laugh at Rudy

And then you do this to me. Good lord this is heinous and we should be ashamed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Oracle posted:

Huh. I wonder if this is Barr throwing himself on his sword to defend executive overreach. If he can claim he asked Trump to pressure Ukraine to help with his crackpot conspiracy theory investigation, and if people believe Trump was 'just following the advice of his AG' which lol Trump following advice.

I dunno if 'the president was too dumb to realize he was extorting someone at the recommendation of his cabinet' is a good luck, and it still doesn't erase the fact that he extorted the leader of another country.

Like, Barr very would could be trying to explain this all away, but I seriously doubt it's going to work.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Don't bet on it, our Prime Minister is a moron Trump-wannabe.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I'm getting a very powerful mid 2006 vibe from all the news over the past 10 days.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Whitlam posted:

Don't bet on it, our Prime Minister is a moron Trump-wannabe.

that sucks.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

skylined! posted:

I dunno if 'the president was too dumb to realize he was extorting someone at the recommendation of his cabinet' is a good luck, and it still doesn't erase the fact that he extorted the leader of another country.

Like, Barr very would could be trying to explain this all away, but I seriously doubt it's going to work.

All it does is introduce another ring of people who can be subpoenaed with even less legal wherewithal to fight back.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

eke out posted:

I'm loving the ridiculous fiction that the Attorney General of the United States of America needs to be personally introduced to world leaders by the President in order for them to respond to document requests.

It's just normal office stuff. First day, show the new guy where the water cooler and the bathrooms are, set up his laptop, personally introduce them to the leaders of every country in the world, ID badges, etc.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm getting a very powerful mid 2006 vibe from all the news over the past 10 days.

Please elaborate for the then 15 year olds among us.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

luxury handset posted:

every parent would absolutely love to have their kid in a good preschool, not only is it enrichment for the child but it's daily childcare as well

the big obstacle is affordability. childcare is one of those things where people will give up working to be a stay at home parent if it makes financial sense, because you need to make at least $40k yourself as a parent for it to be a sound idea. and there are plenty of folks who have no choice at all and pay for the shadiest barely licensed in-home daycares they can afford

This is exactly what we decided to do when we had twins several years ago - spend almost every after tax dollar my wife made on daycare/preschool or have her stay home and actually raise our kids. I realize we were very fortune to be able to do that and it's probably the exception these days.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Other countries are going to be extremely scrupulous about not getting involved with this sort of controversy no matter how much they hate Donald Trump. Saying that they were and are willing to follow established policy as laid out by international treaty regarding any legal requests from the government of the United States is the lowest risk strategy for them at this point.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Extremely :same:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Edit wait nvm he said 2006 not 2002

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

prob the alberto gonzalez hearings

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sorry I meant 2007. That's when things started to just completely collapse for the Bush administration.

Alberto Gonzalez had to submit his resignation, Iraq was just completely falling apart, there were investigations everywhere, the democrats had destroyed them in the 2006 elections, Rumsfeld had resigned in december the previous year, scooter libby was found guilty, and in general all the knives were coming out against the administration.

It was just a thousand small cuts that were starting to add up and take their toll, and it was pretty clear the GOP was going to get slaughtered in 2008.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It became clear that Iraq and Afghanistan were going to be drawn out quagmires, Bush handled Hurricane Katrina very poorly, and Republican congressmen were caught trying to gently caress their pages (mostly teenage boys).

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

He's saying Trump wants to start a war to distract everyone from his problems.

There wasn't any war at that point. It's about when all the yellow ribbon magnets started coming off the backs of everybody's SUV. It's also about the point where his approval ratings slid permanently into the low 30s or below and all the scandals just kept hitting.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tom DeLay and Duke Cunningham were hit for money laundering, finance violations, etc. It was especially bad because DeLay was the Majority Leader.

There was something about teenage boys with a GOP Rep, and criminal conspiracy.

I'm phone posting so looking it all up is hard at the moment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Sorry I meant 2007. That's when things started to just completely collapse for the Bush administration.

Alberto Gonzalez had to submit his resignation, Iraq was just completely falling apart, there were investigations everywhere, the democrats had destroyed them in the 2006 elections, Rumsfeld had resigned in december the previous year, scooter libby was found guilty, and in general all the knives were coming out against the administration.

It was just a thousand small cuts that were starting to add up and take their toll, and it was pretty clear the GOP was going to get slaughtered in 2008.

And then the economy collapsed. The Aristocrats!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

1337JiveTurkey posted:

There wasn't any war at that point. It's about when all the yellow ribbon magnets started coming off the backs of everybody's SUV. It's also about the point where his approval ratings slid permanently into the low 30s or below and all the scandals just kept hitting.

yeah but unlike W, trump doesn't have smart ghouls to protect him, he is also way more delusional/dumber. also the economy will probably pop too.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The economy doesn’t even need to implode, it just needs to start showing blatant signs of weakness for the wheels to fall off.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The economy doesn’t even need to implode, it just needs to start showing blatant signs of weakness for the wheels to fall off.

i mean hasent already?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The economy is hosed and the powers that be just keep lying about how great it is because Number Go Up.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
If you are a GOP Senator whats the best outcome at this stage? You can't vote to impeach cause of insane Trump voter base, so Trump heart attack perhaps?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dog Friday posted:

If you are a GOP Senator whats the best outcome at this stage? You can't vote to impeach cause of insane Trump voter base, so Trump heart attack perhaps?

For Gardner, Tillis, and Cornyn? Yeah. Hear tattack would be great.

There's no saving Susan Collins.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

honestly good for the ICIG for releasing this, it not only debunks the completely insane conspiracy theory about the form being changed but it goes farther than it had to to reinforce that the complaint was good

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1178797401299181574

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Ok so they're setting up to "prove" the Steele Dossier was intended to throw the election and that the Mueller report was Obama loyalists putting their fingers on the scale.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but unlike W, trump doesn't have smart ghouls to protect him, he is also way more delusional/dumber. also the economy will probably pop too.

I agree Trump's people are dumber, but Dubya took a roughly ten point approval rating hit year after year except for the bumps he got from 9/11 and the Iraq war. Trump sorta hit rock bottom 20 points higher and hasn't moved. I'm not sure what the dynamics are exactly but they do seem to be different.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Dog Friday posted:

Hope he drops dead.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ryde posted:

Ok so they're setting up to "prove" the Steele Dossier was intended to throw the election and that the Mueller report was Obama loyalists putting their fingers on the scale.

Which of course has ?????? to do with Trump extorting foreign leaders for made up dirt on a political rival.

Why don't they rope Benghazi in there too, just for funsies?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

spunkshui posted:

People will pay hundreds of dollars to get a beak from their 3 year olds. Not to mention the thing people are actually worried about is not being ready for real school.

Or they just need to work? I know a couple putting their kid in daycare for 1200/mo so one parent can work a 36k job because they still come out ahead and need the money.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I agree Trump's people are dumber, but Dubya took a roughly ten point approval rating hit year after year except for the bumps he got from 9/11 and the Iraq war. Trump sorta hit rock bottom 20 points higher and hasn't moved. I'm not sure what the dynamics are exactly but they do seem to be different.

It's a couple of factors.

It is incredibly difficult to overstate how bad the Iraq war was for Republicans. Every single day you had news reports of more soldiers getting killed, more bombs going off in baghdad, all the gains made in Afghanistan being lost, etc.

There were tons of documentaries coming out detailing just how hosed things were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vINM0CAysc8

Katrina was just impossible to ignore. This picture was a seriously big deal.

because shortly after this Bush went to a region with hundreds (and eventually thousands) dying, clapped his hunting buddy he appointed as head of FEMA on the shoulder, and said "you're doing a heck of a job."

this was as the world watched a US city be destroyed.

As bad as the Trump admin as bad, there just hasn't been any moments like this. No one ended up giving a poo poo about Puerto Rico. We don't have enough visual evidence of the atrocities in the concentration camps, not like we did with Iraq and Katrina. These visuals are important.They're flash points that let us focus our rage.

And sadly it just sorta shows what's happened to the Republican electorate over the past 10-15 years, and yeah Obama being elected has a lot to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Dog Friday posted:

Polonium.