Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do I play H3VR with other people?

I must be some kind of idiot because after half an hour I still can't figure it out or find a video guide that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

LLSix posted:

I must be some kind of idiot because after half an hour I still can't figure it out or find a video guide that helps.

you don't

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ah drat am I really going to spend another 100 to buy that Vive deluxe audio strap for my quest???? Is it that good?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ah drat am I really going to spend another 100 to buy that Vive deluxe audio strap for my quest???? Is it that good?

You Elite Dangerous right? I need reports on how the Quest works in that game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

You Elite Dangerous right? I need reports on how the Quest works in that game.

I’ve only done a short session with it (currently doing Engineering leveling poo poo) but using ALVR to play it with the Quest and it ran fine. I’ll take out my Python for some core mining tonight and play a bit longer and see how it goes. The UI and everything was readable and everything looked good. There was a hitch here and there but I think that was mainly on the ALVR side of things.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’ve only done a short session with it (currently doing Engineering leveling poo poo) but using ALVR to play it with the Quest and it ran fine. I’ll take out my Python for some core mining tonight and play a bit longer and see how it goes. The UI and everything was readable and everything looked good. There was a hitch here and there but I think that was mainly on the ALVR side of things.

Awesome, thank you! I'm currently still in a CV1 and would like to see how it compares in the Quest.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the way tech kickstarters generally go, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Pimax actually deliver on everything instead of collapsing in on itself. They've shown off the coming accessories for it, and they'll all be shipping in mid December. Except the Sword and Sword Sense Controllers. They've been pushed back to March and May next year respectively.

What's the general verdict been on the Pimax HMD's, out of curiosity? Anyone used/using one?

It’s the highest grade chinesium that falls apart under mild use and has poor optics with lots of distortion.
Totally skippable, also the sword & sense controllers look hazardous to your health. Imagine hitting the inside tracking rings together during beat saber, that won’t feel pleasant at all.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

LLSix posted:

The dev has explicitly stated it'll be single player only. Multiplayer would be too much of a headache for syncing and performance reasons (there's a reason all the Sosigs use simplified weapons in Take and Hold).

That being said I think it's the game that's got the most play since I got my Rift S. It's just goofy fun. Never thought a hyper realistic gun simulator full of meat puns could be so great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rage-saq posted:

It’s the highest grade chinesium that falls apart under mild use and has poor optics with lots of distortion.
Totally skippable, also the sword & sense controllers look hazardous to your health. Imagine hitting the inside tracking rings together during beat saber, that won’t feel pleasant at all.

Yeah that sounds about right :sigh:. The Sword controllers look weird to me ergonomically with those rings. The way they're angled speaks more to inside-out tracking than something designed for external Lighthouses to me.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The dev has explicitly stated it'll be single player only. Multiplayer would be too much of a headache for syncing and performance reasons (there's a reason all the Sosigs use simplified weapons in Take and Hold).

That being said I think it's the game that's got the most play since I got my Rift S. It's just goofy fun. Never thought a hyper realistic gun simulator full of meat puns could be so great.

I didn't think having an underbarrel grenade launcher would be such a game-changer for Take and Hold, but good lord is it fun to have one strapped to an assault rifle :black101:. Incidentally if you're running Ricky Dicky Random like me, they're in the Accessories pool rather than Guns.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

BMan posted:

you don't

That's explains it then. Surprisingly I feel less stupid now. From the way goons talked about it, I thought Take and Hold had a counterstrike type mode, but its just against weiners (bots). Oh well.

Is there anything better than RecRoom for just running around and mindlessly shooting people?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LLSix posted:

That's explains it then. Surprisingly I feel less stupid now. From the way goons talked about it, I thought Take and Hold had a counterstrike type mode, but its just against weiners (bots). Oh well.

Is there anything better than RecRoom for just running around and mindlessly shooting people?

Try Take and Hold on Ricky Dicky Random if you're using Standard Progression. Weapons are a single pool for three tokens a roll, as are Accessories, and you start with five tokens. Chances are you pull a free token at the starting Supply Point and you've got three guns right off the bat. It's a lot of fun just seeing what rolls out of the Supply Points to kill Sosigs with next.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try Take and Hold on Ricky Dicky Random if you're using Standard Progression. Weapons are a single pool for three tokens a roll, as are Accessories, and you start with five tokens. Chances are you pull a free token at the starting Supply Point and you've got three guns right off the bat. It's a lot of fun just seeing what rolls out of the Supply Points to kill Sosigs with next.

Also the fact that sometimes you start with a fully loaded M249 and sometimes you just get a dustpan and a black powder pistol. Random loot tables are a ton of fun.

Return of the Rotwieners is a fun mode also, and it sounds like it's going to get a bunch of updates this month for Halloween.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 30, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

LLSix posted:

Pavlov is literally counter strike, also has deathmatch for the mindless shooting

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Despite having a first-ish party vr solution the new ms flight simulator will not support vr

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LLSix posted:

Payday 2

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

Despite having a first-ish party vr solution the new ms flight simulator will not support vr

Seriously?? There goes any interest I had in that. Sim games without VR support just seem pointless now.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Given the way tech kickstarters generally go, I'm pleasantly surprised to see the Pimax actually deliver on everything instead of collapsing in on itself. They've shown off the coming accessories for it, and they'll all be shipping in mid December. Except the Sword and Sword Sense Controllers. They've been pushed back to March and May next year respectively.

What's the general verdict been on the Pimax HMD's, out of curiosity? Anyone used/using one?

I have a 5K XR and love it; upgraded from an OG Vive. The wide FOV is everything I wanted and the immersion is excellent. My dad commented that it was front heavy compared to his CV1 Rift. It isn't a polished consumer product like the Index or the Quest, but I couldn't be happier with the image. The optics are fine, I don't know what that other poster was complaining about. I cancelled my preorder for their controllers the day before their press release because I went for the Index controllers instead.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a PSVR and I'm thinking about getting a Quest. How good is the streaming from PC (not considering the future Oculus Link)? In a scale from "Using PSVR hacks to use it on PC" to "Perfect VR experience", where does it land?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Virtual Desktop is pretty great with the sideload turning SteamVR support back on. $20, but it was about as turnkey as you can get without a native solution. I definitely need a router upgrade, though. Mine's embarrassingly old.

I think I gotta sit the Quest down until I get my lenses in. I have enough astigmatism in one eye that it looks like I've rubbed vaseline on the lens, and even with the spacer installed, my glasses make direct lens contact(thankfully no scratches). I think I strained my eyes enough last night that I'm going to have to limit my regular screen time today.

Enos Cabell posted:

Seriously?? There goes any interest I had in that. Sim games without VR support just seem pointless now.

Are there any good driving experiences that aren't all about racing?

Clitch fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 30, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jenny Agutter posted:

lol microsoft never changes

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah they said "maybe one day we have worked on hololens so we know the issues involved" or something along those lines. Its a shame their world technology looks amazing and would only be more awesome in VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I have a PSVR and I'm thinking about getting a Quest. How good is the streaming from PC (not considering the future Oculus Link)? In a scale from "Using PSVR hacks to use it on PC" to "Perfect VR experience", where does it land?

It's currently janky enough that I wouldn't really recommend anyone spend their time messing around with it. Maybe if you're ultra hardcore, but generally the finickiness and controller lag make it not a good experience. I'd consider it a minor upside, I wouldn't get one if wireless streaming was your primary use case.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

It's currently janky enough that I wouldn't really recommend anyone spend their time messing around with it. Maybe if you're ultra hardcore, but generally the finickiness and controller lag make it not a good experience. I'd consider it a minor upside, I wouldn't get one if wireless streaming was your primary use case.

Agreed, wait a couple of weeks and see if Oculus link is as good as anticipated then get that + Quest. Stand alone Quest is amazing for wireless Beat Saber anywhere and now having that + all of PCVR (including free titles) makes the Quest the best value option by FAR (assuming Oculus link is good).

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Clitch posted:

Are there any good driving experiences that aren't all about racing?

The truck simulators

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Probably not the bestest idea to force the SteamVR compositor to ultra-low latency mode on NVidia cards (because Beat Saber). I reverted that change based on some bickering on Guru3D, and it feels smoother.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Agreed, wait a couple of weeks and see if Oculus link is as good as anticipated then get that + Quest. Stand alone Quest is amazing for wireless Beat Saber anywhere and now having that + all of PCVR (including free titles) makes the Quest the best value option by FAR (assuming Oculus link is good).

Yeah not discounting Link and assuming it's as good as I think it'll be (I'm annoyed I didn't get a chance to test it personally), I think that it's going to be absolutely The Headset for the average person to get, barring specific use cases if you're better informed or have particular needs.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Combat Pretzel posted:

Probably not the bestest idea to force the SteamVR compositor to ultra-low latency mode on NVidia cards (because Beat Saber). I reverted that change based on some bickering on Guru3D, and it feels smoother.

Ultra low latency mode = “VR forward render frames = 1”

In other words, us VR users have had ultra low latency mode all along and it does nothing to VR.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I meant on vrcompositor.exe specifically, not the games.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I wish some new blood at Microsoft had a thing for VR, an unexpected patch to Forza Horizons to enable proper 3D drivers seat mode would be like an early xmas present. It’s such a good looking game, the car interiors are all fully modelled, pls give us this Microsoft :o:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jenny Agutter posted:

They haven't committed to it yet, but it might happen down the line, possibly post-launch. Keep your fingers crossed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The alpha sign-up form asked whether you have a VR device and which one.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Taintrunner posted:

They haven't committed to it yet, but it might happen down the line, possibly post-launch. Keep your fingers crossed.

this is not how you make a performant VR game

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I like how Microsoft are just pretending WMR doesn't exist now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SCheeseman posted:

I like how Microsoft are just pretending WMR doesn't exist now.

Which is a shame because the Samsung headsets are quite good (even though the controllers aren't great)

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If Oculus Link is as good as people are saying it is, the Odyssey HMDs are going to lose their niche.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

If Oculus Link is as good as people are saying it is, the Odyssey HMDs are going to lose their niche.

Everything but the Index, pretty much imo. For most cases it's not going to make sense to get anything else

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

the only really poor thing about it is the comfort which should hopefully be fixed by the rigid headstrap. it's a great headset, the large fov is hard to go back from once you are used to it.

edit there have been a ton of huge software improvements to the wide fov rendering. there was a lot of distortion at launch it has improved hugely since then. the widest view has a small amount of fisheye still but the medium is still like 180 degrees and is fine.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 30, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Everything but the Index, pretty much imo. For most cases it's not going to make sense to get anything else

I still want to try out a Reverb for it's visual clarity.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I wish some new blood at Microsoft had a thing for VR, an unexpected patch to Forza Horizons to enable proper 3D drivers seat mode would be like an early xmas present. It’s such a good looking game, the car interiors are all fully modelled, pls give us this Microsoft :o:

I want an open world VR racer SO BAD. I play Forza Horizon with a wheel already, even though the physics can't hold a candle to PCars2 or iRacing.

I would kill for Forza VR support but its not happening :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Got my VR Cover for my Rift S today, super super comfy and easy to put on. For 20 bucks it's a pretty sweet deal.

Also, the Carmack has spoken.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1178332857909043201?s=19

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 1, 2019