Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote/dp/B079QHML21/

FireStick 4K is down to $24.99 again with code 4KFIRETV . Apparently not everyone is qualified for some reason, but it worked fine for me. Going to switch it out for my existing non-4K one and see if it'll Direct Play/Stream 1080p H265/HEVC files that the regular one can't do. If it can, then everyone who uses my server is being told to get one probably, because that'll save my poor 2012 Mac Mini from transcoding (I only have a few close friends added so I get by at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Stick-4K-with-Alexa-Voice-Remote/dp/B079QHML21/

FireStick 4K is down to $24.99 again with code 4KFIRETV . Apparently not everyone is qualified for some reason, but it worked fine for me. Going to switch it out for my existing non-4K one and see if it'll Direct Play/Stream 1080p H265/HEVC files that the regular one can't do. If it can, then everyone who uses my server is being told to get one probably, because that'll save my poor 2012 Mac Mini from transcoding (I only have a few close friends added so I get by at least).

Should I investigate this or a Roku for a drop dead easy dongle for Plex? I have an old projector that I setup in my backyard to watch Friday the 13th movies tonight and it turned out so well that I realize I need to do this a lot more often. I took apart my living room media setup so I could use my AppleTV to stream Plex, but if I could get like a $25 dongle that I could just leave plugged into the hdmi port on the back of the projector that would be amazing and simplify it all. I don’t need anything fancier than selecting movies in my Plex library and displaying in 1080p.

Edit: I’m using an old handheld 5’ screen that a buddy gave me. It was his grandpa’s and when he died he didn’t know what to do with it so he gave it to me. It’s from like the 70’s and was used for his slide projector. Setup in my backyard it’s not a huge display but it looks freaking amazing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Violator posted:

Should I investigate this or a Roku for a drop dead easy dongle for Plex? I have an old projector that I setup in my backyard to watch Friday the 13th movies tonight and it turned out so well that I realize I need to do this a lot more often. I took apart my living room media setup so I could use my AppleTV to stream Plex, but if I could get like a $25 dongle that I could just leave plugged into the hdmi port on the back of the projector that would be amazing and simplify it all. I don’t need anything fancier than selecting movies in my Plex library and displaying in 1080p.

Edit: I’m using an old handheld 5’ screen that a buddy gave me. It was his grandpa’s and when he died he didn’t know what to do with it so he gave it to me. It’s from like the 70’s and was used for his slide projector. Setup in my backyard it’s not a huge display but it looks freaking amazing.

Honestly would go with a Roku stick. I've found they're a lot more stable, and quicker than the fire sticks. It's OS is much simpler, but I'd say this is a big reason why they're so good.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Awesome, thanks for the info. :)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Plex Uno aside, the Fire TV UI in general is hot garbage compared to Roku, yeah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d go for the Roku Xpress over the stick version mind for a bit more power, it’s not particularly big and still runs over USB. Plex itself pretty much acts the same on every device now, so it’s all mainly about codec support and which remote you like the most. It’s a pain that only Apple TV seems to offer a device that’s not 4K but does HEVC decoding natively, unless I’m missing something.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the advice everyone. Picked up a Roku as suggested and got night two of Friday the 13th in the backyard up and running in a matter of minutes.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First impression trip report of the Firestick 4K is that it seems to do a solid job of direct playing whatever I throw at it (from a video POV anyway). HEVC 4K UHDs were streaming over wifi without issue from what I could tell, which was surprising and not something I might expect to not buffer after prolonged playback, but not what I bought for just a nice bonus. HEVC 1080p was my primary desire and yeeeees no video transcoding. During their $25 sales this has to be the cheapest way of playing this stuff back directly, and hell even at $49 regular price that beats the Roku Streaming Stick+ (which I will assume also plays these files back with no issues too).

Device definitely feels better than the non-4K version too, surprised it didn't work with my existing remote as it appears identical at least. Has a slightly different bootup sequence too.

For the sake of my poor 2012 MacMini server, I think I'll convince all my friends who I've got as added to get one of these, or the aforemtetioned Roku SS+ if they want to be a guinea pig, and everyone should win then.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Did plex add the ability to upload images to use as a user pic recently? I must have missed it, but am having some fun messing with my girlfriends kid using it.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

diremonk posted:

Did plex add the ability to upload images to use as a user pic recently?

No. Been there for years.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok so I use a Shield TV as a Plex server to host 4K movies through my house. It's awesome.

We quasi-recently got fiber to the home, and they made us install a combo modem/router that is proprietary and required. The wifi on the fiber box isn't good enough to reach everywhere in the house, so I grabbed a Norton Core router and turned off the wifi in the fiber box. I route all of the wifi traffic through the Core.

This works great for the most part. The Shield uses the Norton Core wifi to serve everyone in the house Plex movies. But my main PC is wired via ethernet into the fiber box, NOT the Norton Core.

This means that my PC can't see the Plex server, since it's not connected to the Core, it's connected to the fiber box, even though both are connected to each other via gigabit ethernet.

Is there a way to get my PC to see the Plex server on the Norton Core?

I'm surprised this is a problem since the two routers are daisy chained together, you would think they would work out the connection amongst themselves.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Taima posted:

Ok so I use a Shield TV as a Plex server to host 4K movies through my house. It's awesome.

We quasi-recently got fiber to the home, and they made us install a combo modem/router that is proprietary and required. The wifi on the fiber box isn't good enough to reach everywhere in the house, so I grabbed a Norton Core router and turned off the wifi in the fiber box. I route all of the wifi traffic through the Core.

This works great for the most part. The Shield uses the Norton Core wifi to serve everyone in the house Plex movies. But my main PC is wired via ethernet into the fiber box, NOT the Norton Core.

This means that my PC can't see the Plex server, since it's not connected to the Core, it's connected to the fiber box, even though both are connected to each other via gigabit ethernet.

Is there a way to get my PC to see the Plex server on the Norton Core?

I'm surprised this is a problem since the two routers are daisy chained together, you would think they would work out the connection amongst themselves.

Did you turn off the DHCP server on the Core? Basically you want it to just be an access point on your existing network, rather than having it make its own network behind your main one.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

"bridge mode" are the magic google words you are looking for to make it work.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Thanks for the help guys! Unfortunately I think my setup is a bit unique.

1) ATT does not allow bridge mode on their FTTH routers as seen here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/smb-internet/KM1188698?gsi=69c97n

You can do IP passthrough but I have had zero luck with it.

2) You ALSO cannot disable DHCP on the Core, as it's a security-focused router and I guess you just aren't allowed to do that due to, you know, security stuff. Thank god I got this router for like 80 bucks used on Amazon and then Norton threw me a free year of core service, or I would be more upset.

So I guess I just have the specific combination of devices for which this advice is not possible.

What I ended up doing was running a longer ethernet straight to the Core. It is on the other side of my office, so I had to run it around the perimeter and put down stays, but it works fine enough. It also allows Plex to see all of the various services, so it works, though I assume my latency is not as good on my main PC as its traffic is now being sent through 2 routers, but I guess there had to be a concession somewhere.

In any case this seems resolved and thanks for your help. I wish I had a setup that could work as prescribed by you helpful individuals.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Here the article I used to setup the AT&T DMZ, it worked for me. https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Internet-Equipment/Strict-NAT-Bridge-Mode-What-is-IP-Passthrough-Can-I-enable-on-my/td-p/5296974.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For true bridge mode, using your own hardware on FiOS is super easy; AT&T is obnoxious by comparison. You need to pass the auth packets to your AT&T hardware, so at a minimum it will need to be on your network somewhere, preferably off to the side. There are robust instructions on how to do this for Ubiquiti EdgeRouters and also if you run pfSense.

You can probably get where you want without true bridge mode, just following those DMZ directions.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The external USB drive that holds my plex content is dying. I’ve got a replacement on the way to use until I get my NAS setup going. What’s the best approach to moving around a TB worth of stuff? I figure I can just run a tmux job of cp and call if a day but I’d be interested to hear if there were better methods.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

The external USB drive that holds my plex content is dying. I’ve got a replacement on the way to use until I get my NAS setup going. What’s the best approach to moving around a TB worth of stuff? I figure I can just run a tmux job of cp and call if a day but I’d be interested to hear if there were better methods.

You're seriously asking a question about copying files from one drive to another?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Atomizer posted:

You're seriously asking a question about copying files from one drive to another?

I mean, Windows file copy has always been hot garbage for large file transfers.

Teracopy or Robocopy are good ways to make sure everything moves over. I actually sync my media drive with a backup drive with a scheduled SyncToy task.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Eh it’s a fairly critical operation that can go wrong and there are a bunch of different tools and methods. Never hurts to ask if there’s a better way.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I mean I use Teracopy myself, and I use FreeFileSync for backups, but the built-in OS copy command should be just fine (and he appears to be using *Nix anyway.) It's really not a question for the Plex thread, in any case.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I used robocopy not too long ago on a 25tb dataset, still works.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. cp is the natural option but I may make a script or something to iterate through shows or something since the drive is flakey. Wouldn’t want to look at a blank CLI for a day and a half and end up missing stuff and not knowing.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. cp is the natural option but I may make a script or something to iterate through shows or something since the drive is flakey. Wouldn’t want to look at a blank CLI for a day and a half and end up missing stuff and not knowing.

Well that's where your backup comes in handy.

In my case, I use Windows and find Teracopy to be useful because not only does it have a verification option, it maintains a list/log of transferred files and will let you know if anything fails and why.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Warbird posted:

If youre planning on adding more drives down the line, get a drivepool program. I use stablebit. It can move everything over

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Picked up a GTX 1660 for that hardware decode and encode

Now we wait for them to implement tone mapping with nvenc that ffmpeg can do, I’m sure it won’t take forever 😬

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Warbird posted:

I’d personally use rsync over cp. It’s flexible and has more options. Definitely my top choice if I’m copying large amounts of data on a Linux system.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh good point. I’d only ever used if for remote syncing, but that should fit the bill nicely. I’ll have to make sure it doesn’t move over the lost&found folders though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Plex all of a sudden is doing this thing where it groups movies. "Back to the Future" has an entry that includes all three movies. It does this also with Analyze This and Analyze That, but stupidly just calls it "Analyze". It also has "Annie" as its own separate entry even though I only have one Annie movie (the one from 1982, I didn't even know there was a series).

Anyway how do I stop this behavior? I don't see any way to remove them and I'm not sure what I'd Google to figure it out on my own.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Plex all of a sudden is doing this thing where it groups movies. "Back to the Future" has an entry that includes all three movies. It does this also with Analyze This and Analyze That, but stupidly just calls it "Analyze". It also has "Annie" as its own separate entry even though I only have one Annie movie (the one from 1982, I didn't even know there was a series).

Anyway how do I stop this behavior? I don't see any way to remove them and I'm not sure what I'd Google to figure it out on my own.

Edit the library settings and disable collections on a per library basis. See: https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-make-collections-go-away/226899

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Edit the library settings and disable collections on a per library basis. See: https://forums.plex.tv/t/how-to-make-collections-go-away/226899

thank you! It's so strange because I definitely didn't turn that feature on. Oh well! Thank you again!

edit: wow, here's a new one I also can't find any help on (just lots of people complaining on Plex forums)

I have a movie I ripped from my Blu-Ray Disc using MakeMKV. I did zero compression; the file is untouched. It's playing at 4:3 on Plex. It's a 16:9 movie. I have no idea where it's getting the idea that it's a 4:3 movie, and I see no way in Plex (even logged in as an admin) to tell it it's not a 4:3 movie. The movie plays just fine in VLC and Windows media player. Is there some way to tell Plex (permanently) that the video is 16:9? It's the 1988 film "Vice Versa" if anyone cares (yes I have terrible tastes in movies).

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 2, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The collections thing is on by default and yes it’s quite annoying as it doesn’t have a thing in place to say ‘hey maybe don’t activate this until multiple films match it’.

The second thing sounds like the 16:9 flag isn’t being set properly, happens infrequently on some files for some reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

thank you! It's so strange because I definitely didn't turn that feature on. Oh well! Thank you again!

Sure thing. Collections are pretty cool though, just disable them in library view. And be sure to uncheck 'Use collection info from The Movie Database' so you can curate which movies you want in what collection manually. You can do so by editing whatever movie and using the 'Collections' tag. Collections span across libraries, so like for example, in my Star Wars Collection entry, it displays all the movies, the tv shows, and documentaries in one location.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

The second thing sounds like the 16:9 flag isn’t being set properly, happens infrequently on some files for some reason.

Is there any way to set the flag?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

is there any way to gently caress off the side bar on the client side? I dont have heaps of content and my poo poo is automated that any new eps from what im watching or new films are in the 'recently added' section. I dont need the sidebar at all.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is there any way to set the flag?

You can set it in MKVToolNix — https://mkvtoolnix.download/

Select the video track, then under properties set the appropriate aspect ratio, then remux/multiplex the file. Should only take a few seconds. See below:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Laserface posted:

is there any way to gently caress off the side bar on the client side? I dont have heaps of content and my poo poo is automated that any new eps from what im watching or new films are in the 'recently added' section. I dont need the sidebar at all.

There is. Which app are you using?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

teagone posted:

There is. Which app are you using?

Plex on my LG TV

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

You can set it in MKVToolNix — https://mkvtoolnix.download/

Select the video track, then under properties set the appropriate aspect ratio, then remux/multiplex the file. Should only take a few seconds. See below:

Weird. All those options are completely greyed out for me when I open the movie. Oh well. Thank you anyway. Maybe I will just encode it with Handbrake to be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Weird. All those options are completely greyed out for me when I open the movie. Oh well. Thank you anyway. Maybe I will just encode it with Handbrake to be done with it.

You need to select the video track in the bottom left section.