Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

and the voice thundered from the mountaintop "gently caress YOUR FAVES"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Ace of Baes posted:

everyone I know who's a leftist computer toucher says stallman has been a creepy libertarian for years and it's only surprising because it's coming out to the GP now, no clue if that's accurate

yea they're right. its like how literally everyone in comedy knew about louis c. k.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

gh0stpinballa posted:

can someone explain why people are connecting the CIA whistleblower to epstein? what does it matter if they blew the whistle just after he died, are they saying it was epstein or are they saying the CIA did this to trump to bury the epstein story?

the thing that's loving with me is there's no way it took three years for Trump to have an incriminating phone call. this really seems like it wasn't out of the norm for him at all. so the question must be raised, why now? Why a few weeks after epstein and his potential dead man's switch has been turned off or flipped?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Nurge posted:

https://sterling-archermedes.github.io has an interesting writeup on stallman getting plowed by the press

While that's supposed to be a defense a lot of it is pretty bad. It's really loving grody how misrepresented some of the earlier quotes in that are though, almost as grody as Stallman himself.
The sad part about this whole thing in my opinion is that while I don't agree with his views, all his ideas are pretty much hippie movement 101, and that's now enough to get you hosed by every journalist in the world and the public view.
It's really weird, but I guess that's easy when you make headlines like "Stallman defends Epstein", when he did nothing of the sort.

Death of journalism something something, man sprouting fungus has out of date ideas.
sure stallman was misrepresented in the press, but his statements in defense of minsky are still reprehensible and i could see other people who hosed the sex trafficking victims to make similar reprehensible defenses of themselves

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a game out on Steam now where you cover up the Epstein murder: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038280/Nobodies/

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ace of Baes posted:

everyone I know who's a leftist computer toucher says stallman has been a creepy libertarian for years and it's only surprising because it's coming out to the GP now, no clue if that's accurate

I don't know how anyone can come to open source from any non communalist ideology. There's so many libertarian people in open source and I genuinely don't understand what they believe

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this was marvin minsky (that stallman is defending)

he instinctively knew that a 17 year old is not willing to gently caress him

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

comedyblissoption posted:

sure stallman was misrepresented in the press, but his statements in defense of minsky are still reprehensible and i could see other people who hosed the sex trafficking victims to make similar reprehensible defenses of themselves

Yeah. Stallman is a huge gross creep, so I'm not enraged about this or anything. I just find it super sad that twisting poo poo into a pretzel is what passes for reporting these days.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

ikanreed posted:

I don't know how anyone can come to open source from any non communalist ideology. There's so many libertarian people in open source and I genuinely don't understand what they believe

The contradiction just never occurs to them, probably because they understand intuitively that open source is better for their own personal use.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

like seriously this is what stallman is defending as possibly not sexual assault because minsky might have thought it was voluntary

quote:

At the time of the alleged incident, Giuffre was 17 and Minsky was 73, according to reporting by the Verge.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ikanreed posted:

open source is great for capitalists because they can decide on their own terms to profit off the free labor and charity of others and choose whether or not to give back to the community

free software is what capitalists are vehemently opposed to

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The contradiction just never occurs to them, probably because they understand intuitively that open source is better for their own personal use.

There are, by the way, also some Nazis in open source, and I know exactly what they believe.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Gay Horney posted:

the thing that's loving with me is there's no way it took three years for Trump to have an incriminating phone call. this really seems like it wasn't out of the norm for him at all. so the question must be raised, why now? Why a few weeks after epstein and his potential dead man's switch has been turned off or flipped?

It's probably because he was going after the Dem frontrunner

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
it could also just be about the money. the whisleblower didn't just cite the phone call as evidence, but referred to the way that trump has withheld a $300m arms deal with ukraine. threatening trump with impeachment may just be an attempt to strong-arm trump into letting the deal go through, and more generally keep the bipartisan status quo in ukraine that has made them a huge market for us weapons and us oil.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Even if the Ukraine stuff goes nowhere and Bernie somehow wins the primary and proceeds to take the White House and both houses of Congress in the biggest wave of righteous populist fury the country has ever seen with traditional none voters turning out at unprecedented rates and fundamentally shifting the electorate with the rise of a new Green New Deal constituency who remakes the entire political system in their image...

Even then you'll still have a concerted and in the long run likely successful effort to rewrite the history so that in a decade or two everyone would know that Trump was heroically defeated by the intelligence community and Bernie only won on a total fluke (don't you dare try to repeat it) due to the extremely contingent circumstances of the President being constantly undermined by the security apparatus.

There doesn't even need to be any central body organizing and planning this rewrite of history. Thousands of independent actors could collectively improvise that re-writing of history and force it into public consciousness with only limited coordination between themselves because that is the narrative that aligns with their interests. Very few powerful people in America have any interest in creating a new narrative about People Power defeating entrenched oligarchy, but they sure as poo poo have a vested interest in birthing a new narrative about heroic security state ghouls and creepy Dem technocrats slew the populist dragon and saved the Republic. That kind of myth could legitimize all kinds of further expansions of government power down the line at just the moment that the memory of 9/11 has faded into uselessness.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Gonna start an epstein/great british baking show podcast called prueanon

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001
Wait what happened on 9-11?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Fiend posted:

Wait what happened on 9-11?

the death of john ritter, pbuh

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Helsing posted:

Even if the Ukraine stuff goes nowhere and Bernie somehow wins the primary and proceeds to take the White House and both houses of Congress in the biggest wave of righteous populist fury the country has ever seen with traditional none voters turning out at unprecedented rates and fundamentally shifting the electorate with the rise of a new Green New Deal constituency who remakes the entire political system in their image...

Even then you'll still have a concerted and in the long run likely successful effort to rewrite the history so that in a decade or two everyone would know that Trump was heroically defeated by the intelligence community and Bernie only won on a total fluke (don't you dare try to repeat it) due to the extremely contingent circumstances of the President being constantly undermined by the security apparatus.

There doesn't even need to be any central body organizing and planning this rewrite of history. Thousands of independent actors could collectively improvise that re-writing of history and force it into public consciousness with only limited coordination between themselves because that is the narrative that aligns with their interests. Very few powerful people in America have any interest in creating a new narrative about People Power defeating entrenched oligarchy, but they sure as poo poo have a vested interest in birthing a new narrative about heroic security state ghouls and creepy Dem technocrats slew the populist dragon and saved the Republic. That kind of myth could legitimize all kinds of further expansions of government power down the line at just the moment that the memory of 9/11 has faded into uselessness.

It truly is surreal and depressing to watch liberals and cultural figures you (now used to) respect consistently prop up “security state” agents with jingoistic fervor, paranoia, and even a nationalist ethos with a total disregard (and ignorance) of who these people actually are. The entrenched security state apparatus has successfully taken advantage of everyone’s understandable anger about Trump and directly utilized it into a fear and xenophobic project about Russians and Ukrainians. What we’re witnessing right now with Trump and the CIA/security state is an inter-fascist squabble for power; one side insists we can restore society and national rejuvenation by targeting immigrants, Mexicans, and Muslims, while the other side insists we can do the same thing by targeting Russians and Ukrainians. Notice how both sides have ditched economic & material solutions causing this reactionary bullshit (and why they’re consistently smearing Bernie and the left who are trying to). To the outside world it’s very clear America is collapsing into bipartisan fascism, and liberals are too goddamn stupid and ignorant from their privilege to understand their participation in enabling this.

Whoever in this fight wins, the people lose. Neoliberals (also known as liberals) and fascists are united by their hatred of the middle and poor classes; they both completely dominate the media, which is why they ignore the historic wealth gap that is killing people in this country on a level never seen before in its history. A thousand homeless people in Los Angeles alone are on track to die the streets this year, but the new Star Wars movies get more press than that - it’s not even a contest, in fact.

But I look forward to receiving more probations in D&D for telling people that electoralism is clearly dead, and that searching for other solutions is apparently a communist fantasy; or for mocking the inevitable clash in the next debate between a reactionary islamophone who’s a fan of India’s brutal caste system against a fake Indian and former republican as a cat fight.

Is mentioning the fact that Epstein was protected by the security state for decades before he was murdered by them when he was inconvenient a conspiracy theory worthy of probation in D&D? But whatever.

tylersayten has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Oct 1, 2019

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Helsing posted:

actually after (or maybe before) Bernie takes office they're going to overplay their hand out of desperation and cause a revolution

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Ace of Baes posted:

actually after (or maybe before) Bernie takes office they're going to overplay their hand out of desperation and cause a revolution

Inshallah

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m all in for Bernie, but I’m 80% sure he will be assassinated by this nation’s ruling class if he gets anywhere near the levers of power.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Kingfish posted:

I’m all in for Bernie, but I’m 80% sure he will be assassinated by this nation’s ruling class if he gets anywhere near the levers of power.

I kinda wonder how pathetic the reaction would be if Bernie got close to the levers of power and then died from the cancer that did in Chavez. not that I think the ruling class would bother to do him in bc at the end of the day, they could rein Bernie in p easily through institutional means

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

I’m all in for Bernie, but I’m 100% sure he will be assassinated by this nation’s ruling class if he gets anywhere near the levers of power.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

americans are a domesticated people who yearn for the yoke, and would meekly submit were bernie sanders (pbuh) to be slain

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

my plan in this situation is to stop taking my meds and go become a wild man living dying in the woods. i think if you make it ten years at that you get to become either a prophet or a bigfoot

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
killing jews leading populist movements in the heart of an empire has a bad historical track record. they'll probably just stymie all of his legislation

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Impermanent posted:

killing jews leading populist movements in the heart of an empire has a bad historical track record. they'll probably just stymie all of his legislation

lol you think our leaders have ever read a book

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

The Kingfish posted:

what do you think is gonna trigger the revolution, Bernie knows this, he's willing to die for our sins

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Kingfish posted:

His assassination is guaranteed if he picks a centrist VP.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

tylersayten posted:

His assassination is guaranteed if he picks a centrist VP.

He should pick nina turner

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Spergin Morlock posted:

He should pick nina turner

lol nice

quote:

As a political statement against legislation attempting to restrict women's access to contraception and abortion,[7] in March 2012, Turner introduced a bill to regulate men's reproductive health. Under her proposed S.B. 307, before getting a prescription for erectile dysfunction drugs, a man would have to get a notarized affidavit signed by a recent sexual partner affirming his impotency, consult with a sex therapist, and receive a cardiac stress test.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Lmao that's awesome.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Helsing posted:

I admire your optimism in thinking that the Donald will go down as a villain in rewritten history. Liberals were happy to let Ronald "Teflon" Reagan be an icon of bipartisan respect despite irreparaply damaging the country's psyche and institutions and spending most of his presidency riddled with dementia, and they'll do the same for Trump as long as the alternative is suggesting that leftism is preferable to fascism.

Within a generation, he'll turn out to have been a straight shooter who had good ideas but was stifled by his inability to play the game.

E: With the possible exception of the Epstein files actually coming to light and him going to jail as a child rapist, but lol @ thinking that'll ever happen, and I'd still put even odds on liberals trying to lionize him.

Zulily Zoetrope has issued a correction as of 12:38 on Oct 1, 2019

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: With the possible exception of the Epstein files actually coming to light and him going to jail as a child rapist, but lol @ thinking that'll ever happen, and I'd still put even odds on liberals trying to lionize him.

Jeffrey Epstein? The science philanthropist?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I admire your optimism in thinking that the Donald will go down as a villain in rewritten history. Liberals were happy to let Ronald "Teflon" Reagan be an icon of bipartisan respect despite irreparaply damaging the country's psyche and institutions and spending most of his presidency riddled with dementia, and they'll do the same for Trump as long as the alternative is suggesting that leftism is preferable to fascism.

Within a generation, he'll turn out to have been a straight shooter who had good ideas but was stifled by his inability to play the game.

Well to be clear what I was describing wasn't a prediction of the future, it was an intentionally over the top scenario meant to emphasize that how current events will be remembered in a few decades will be a massive distortion of whatever actually happened.

As far as Trump being a lib hero, I think that he is actually going to be much more useful long term as a villain. This all depends on how the next few years play out but just based on books like this one where the authors were arguing that rigged primaries are a crucial bulwark for defending Democracy I think that Trump is going to be the go to justification for gatekeeping any kind of anti-establishment political movement.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

comedyblissoption posted:

this was marvin minsky (that stallman is defending)

I thought you guys were talking about Hyman Minsky and that would've been a hell of a trip

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1179056241441742848

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
the whole world is a pedo island, son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers