Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

13.1.2 out already, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not satisfied with apps moving towards a weekly update schedule, now iOS itself is updating weekly as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Daily, even.

Move fast and patch things.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gay Retard posted:

I guess we're just ignoring the 5G spec now? It allows more more simultaneous users than 4G currently does, yes?

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3203489/what-is-5g-how-is-it-better-than-4g.html

"Despite 5G base stations being much smaller than their 4G counterparts, they pack in many more antennas. These antennas are multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO), meaning that they can handle multiple two-way conversations over the same data signal simultaneously. 5G networks can handle more than 20 times more conversations in this way than 4G networks."

https://www.verizonwireless.com/business/articles/business/5g-network-performance-attributes/

"The number of connected devices will be more than three times the global population by 2022. 5G will be capable of supporting up to 1 M devices in a square kilometer. Verizon 5G Ultra Wideband will eventually handle 10 to 100 times more connected devices per square kilometer than 4G."

Take a goddamn look at coverage networks and tower locations if those are available in your area.

The problem isn't 4G it's service providers cheaping out on having enough towers, and where 5G can handle way more density than 4G it also means way more towers... which would solve the issue before ever touching 5G. It's useless even without considering the massive problems 5G has with range and power... and storm detection? That last one I didn't see coming I have to be honest. Suppose it could be a lesson about testing at scale before committing to deployments.

By the time we need anything at all from 5G - as opposed to just 4G with MIMO, handily compatible with existing LTE-A ("4.5G") - current generation 5G devices are going to be hilariously outdated. Probably to the point where the hardware is incompatible and the marketing term has straight jumped to 6G.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Auto update failed and killed my phone last night, leading to no alarms and me showing up to work three hours late :negative:

Spent an hour freaking out about my seemingly-bricked phone before I found the weird “up volume, down volume, lock” incantation

Very cool.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My phone is my sole alarm so screw having auto-anything while I’m sleeping.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
As a first time No-home-button-haver, I just have to say how natural the new gestures feel after a week of use. The app switching sounds janky when you read it described, but after just a few minutes it was second nature. The visual/animation cues as an upward swipe transitions from "home" to the recent apps are really well done and I feel communicate exactly what they need to.

Used to assume the "I don't miss the home button for a second!!!!!" crowd was protesting too much to justify their purchases, but nah!

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Sockser posted:

Auto update failed and killed my phone last night, leading to no alarms and me showing up to work three hours late :negative:

Spent an hour freaking out about my seemingly-bricked phone before I found the weird “up volume, down volume, lock” incantation

Very cool.

Does that button combo replace Home+Lock button hard reset functionality on Home button phones?

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

decypher posted:

Does that button combo replace Home+Lock button hard reset functionality on Home button phones?

Yeah, the Home + Lock button combination changed starting with the iPhone 7

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Minidust posted:

As a first time No-home-button-haver, I just have to say how natural the new gestures feel after a week of use. The app switching sounds janky when you read it described, but after just a few minutes it was second nature. The visual/animation cues as an upward swipe transitions from "home" to the recent apps are really well done and I feel communicate exactly what they need to.

Used to assume the "I don't miss the home button for a second!!!!!" crowd was protesting too much to justify their purchases, but nah!

Yeah I was kind of like “you can take my home button and Touch ID when you pry it from my cold dead hands” for a long while. I wasn’t sold on the idea of FaceID or the lack of a home button. But I’ve been surprised at how quickly I’ve gotten used to it. Like within 2 days maybe?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CoasterMaster posted:

Yeah, the Home + Lock button combination changed starting with the iPhone 7

https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/force-restart-iphone-iph8903c3ee6/ios

Yeah this poo poo sucks because I have to actually look it up the once or twice a year I need to do it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Just wanted to check, if I put data into the pronunciation field is that supposed to sync between an iPhone and iPad?

Because right now I’m getting the correctish pronunciation on my phone and something completely different on my iPad when someone FaceTimes me.

(In neither case does Siri actually recognise the danish name though...)

Is this likely something to do with me syncing contacts to Outlook rather than iCloud?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Goddamn Apple, up your activation server game!

I'm assuming it's not safe to restart while it's doing this?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know why anyone cares about 5G at this point and time unless you're a telco employee in it for the hype and revenue. Sure, there's a 5G spec, but no one actually knows what 5G will look like in the US beyond the basic concepts and planning stages. There's no way there will be anything except maybe rudimentary 5G trials in select major markets NY/LA/Chicago when the 5G 2020 iPhone releases. It's such a non-issue to consider when purchasing your new phone today.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
The iOS update didn't download properly, but tried to install as if it had. My phone went into a "thought it was bricked" shame spiral and I left for the fruit stand. On the way there I was in a car accident.

loving iOS update fuckery gently caress.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

AstroZamboni posted:

The iOS update didn't download properly, but tried to install as if it had. My phone went into a "thought it was bricked" shame spiral and I left for the fruit stand. On the way there I was in a car accident.

loving iOS update fuckery gently caress.

You okay??

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Goddamn Apple, up your activation server game!

I'm assuming it's not safe to restart while it's doing this?

Ohhhhhh, so that’s why the long discontinued Apple Network Server is a trending Wikipedia article.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

A low light example

Xs Max

11 Pro Max

Battery life example

That game is very graphics intense (relatively speaking) and I’m getting better battery life than my switch. Looks like if I ran it all the way down Playing that game I’d be looking at 11 ish hours.

loving insane.

I really wasn’t keen on upgrading but holy poo poo these two things are legit.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Yeah. Minor dent in my rear bumper, no damage to the other guy, but I've got PTSD from an incident 4 years ago when a suicidal dude on meth decided to end it all while driving 120Mph on the freeway and tried (unsuccessfully) to take as many innocent people out as he could with him, myself included. As a result my biochemistry is all kinds of hosed from the cortisol levels now and I'm pissed at the iOS 13.1.2 update for setting off a craptacular day.

And the tweaker who tried to kill me? He didn't even succeed in taking himself out. Incompetent piece of poo poo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Okay iOS 13 photos app is a hilarious disaster. I guess we know where the iTunes team went.

I sure want this "AI" to be the thing deciding which pictures I want to access and which I don't.

An empty parking lot is a lake, and one specific overweight cat (rip) is now everything in "dogs".

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

endlessmonotony posted:

Okay iOS 13 photos app is a hilarious disaster. I guess we know where the iTunes team went.

I sure want this "AI" to be the thing deciding which pictures I want to access and which I don't.

An empty parking lot is a lake, and one specific overweight cat (rip) is now everything in "dogs".

You don't ever have to interact with that pane of Photos. Just select "All Photos" in the "Photos" pane and there's your library in chronological order. You can zoom in and out to your preference with two finger zoom gesture.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

enojy posted:

You don't ever have to interact with that pane of Photos. Just select "All Photos" in the "Photos" pane and there's your library in chronological order. You can zoom in and out to your preference with two finger zoom gesture.

Yeah I figured out that with a little googling, it's just amazing how Apple is thinking these are even features, nevermind features worth advertising.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

You made me check...

I take a lot of photos. Apple seems to think that one trip to BC with my ex 2 years ago was really really really important. Like, really important.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is gonna kill me. Did Kristina finish the Hawaiian ice? What flavor was it? Has her preference for frozen treats changed over the years?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
E: never mind

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All my summary photos are of cats, which is fine by me.The most important thing in 2017 was a kitten kicking a mouse toy.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

god this blows posted:

My understanding is it only requires you have service with the provider. It shouldn’t affect your plan at all. It didn’t for mine and I have a grandfathered plan I can’t touch online.

I also have a grandfathered plan that I intend to keep which is why I asked. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Weedle posted:

I ordered a T-Mobile iPhone from Apple last year and picked it up at the store. Came home, swapped SIMs, and it's been smooth sailing since. All I needed was my T-Mobile account info to place the Apple Store order; I didn't actually have to deal with T-Mobile at all and it had no effect on my plan.

Very nice that's all I needed to know. Well now I have a tough decision to make. Should I wait for next years model or just pull the trigger on a 256gb XS Max?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I don't know why anyone cares about 5G at this point and time unless you're a telco employee in it for the hype and revenue. Sure, there's a 5G spec, but no one actually knows what 5G will look like in the US beyond the basic concepts and planning stages. There's no way there will be anything except maybe rudimentary 5G trials in select major markets NY/LA/Chicago when the 5G 2020 iPhone releases. It's such a non-issue to consider when purchasing your new phone today.

If I had an iPhone with 5G support today, I could get 5G in my area through AT&T and Verizon. I’ll certainly concede that for most people, their experience won’t make much of a difference, but we’re a year away from millions of 5G iPhones coming alive, networks be damned.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

xzzy posted:

All my summary photos are of cats, which is fine by me.The most important thing in 2017 was a kitten kicking a mouse toy.

This is the correct photo management algorithm.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anyone else getting this weird graphics bug? Seems related to google maps?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can someone with two iPhones on 13 please tell me whether you can connect to the personal hotspot through the control center force press?

VVV Dammit, thanks for that.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 1, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Can someone with two iPhones on 13 please tell me whether you can connect to the personal hotspot through the control center force press?

Nope! Shows up on Wifi though.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

tuyop posted:

Anyone else getting this weird graphics bug? Seems related to google maps?

Looks like it says "Google Maps is Actively Using Your Location" which would make me then believe it's tied to that location blue pill icon you get when some app is, know, actively using your location.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

is wanting more research on 5G due to health concerns :tinfoil: territory or

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

LODGE NORTH posted:

Looks like it says "Google Maps is Actively Using Your Location" which would make me then believe it's tied to that location blue pill icon you get when some app is, know, actively using your location.

Yeah but that’s force-closed.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Did they remove double tap to zoom? Plus they made text selection worse. Annoying.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Magic Underwear posted:

Did they remove double tap to zoom? Plus they made text selection worse. Annoying.

It's weird in Safari. You can double tap to zoom in but trying to zoom out via the same double tap seems as if it's totally removed (or a bug.)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Ever since updating to 13, any twitter links on my phone, whether they be from the awful app or safari, all open in Safari in a new mobile.twitter.com tab. Anyone have any idea how to fix this so they open in the app? I’ve already tried deleting and reinstalling the Twitter app.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Photos has created 31 identical memories of my wedding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is wanting more research on 5G due to health concerns :tinfoil: territory or

Yes.

Unless you don't want to die in storms. In which case 5G is definitely a threat.