Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
the loving americans literally come in and poo poo up everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

in the last week, we've had musings whether we want to turbofuck the retirement of millennials, the addition of potentially political component to whether journalists get charged for reporting on the government, and now all we will be able to talk about is Scott Morrison making GBS threads himself in 1997 Australia acting as a stooge for Trump

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Amid mounting pressure, the prime minister has moved to defend his appointment of Dr Deborah Ralston – who has previously lobbied the government for voluntary super contributions – to the major retirement income review.

They're coming for Super now fellas.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Amid mounting pressure, the prime minister has moved to defend his appointment of Dr Deborah Ralston – who has previously lobbied the government for voluntary super contributions – to the major retirement income review.

They're coming for Super now fellas.

This dumb country deserves whatever it gets

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/politicsabc/status/1178803876822011904

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Voters will likely fall for voluntary super. We basically live in berlisconi era Italy now.
1) Abbot era: Ruled by zealots
2) Turnbull era: ruled by cowards
3) Morrison era: ruled by morons.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-30/women-of-isis-reveal-australian-network/11549490

A story no one will ever want to touch. The women, and children, of Islamic State. People of a country that never officially existed and now of no country at all with nowhere to go as IS was one of the most toxic, possibly the most toxic, ideology to ever succeed and anything under that umbrella now seen as non grata.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

JBP posted:

What's going to happen to these ISIS wives? I can't determine why they went in the first place outside of a charming maths teacher said it would be cool.
In a sensible world the adults would be coopted by the intelligence services and used either as assets or as agents for deradicalisation. Any who were known or later determined to be willing participants in any relevant crimes would be referred for prosecution. It would also quickly establish who was unwilling to aid in the prevention of others from experiencing their fate.

Big Willy Style posted:

Hopefully the fash are let back in the country then promptly locked up. Shouldn't be dumping our trash in other countries.
Yes this will certainly deradicalise their children. You are a woke alpha planet brain. :worship:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Amethyst posted:

Voters will likely fall for voluntary super

Shockingly, slow wage growth sows the seeds for people going "if I don't put so much into super, I'll have more take home pay!"

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Shockingly, slow wage growth sows the seeds for people going "if I don't put so much into super, I'll have more take home pay!"

Take home pay would rise, and then almost instantly you'll have business owners complaining about how much money they have to pay their staff, look at these exorbitant wages. Leading over a few years to a point where peoples wages are where they would have otherwise been, except now without super contributions.

Basically the same as what happened/is happening with casual wages. Casual pay is meant to be higher to compensate for its poo poo house conditions compared to PT/FT work. All that's happened though is that businesses point to the casual wages as examples of why people get paid too much.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It also kills the union movement.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

It also kills the union movement.

Elaborate.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Recoome posted:

the addition of potentially political component to whether journalists get charged for reporting on the government,

what was this one?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

trunkh posted:

Elaborate.

All the good super funds are run by unions, so if people pull their money out of super, those funds will start to die which will weaken union influence.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Killing off a trillion dollars of workers' capital is a big, big dream for the liberal party.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

what was this one?

prosecution of journalists now require Christian Porter to sign off on it

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

How about instead of making super voluntary, we increase wages??

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Who was the Trump guy who got drunk in England and was like "we did so much campaign crime, bro, it was sick" to Downer again? Feels like a hundred years ago

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Peccadillo posted:

Who was the Trump guy who got drunk in England and was like "we did so much campaign crime, bro, it was sick" to Downer again? Feels like a hundred years ago

George Papadopoulos.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Tokamak posted:

How about instead of making super voluntary, we increase wages??

Because that would reduce the relative wealth of the top end of town

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Doctor Spaceman posted:

George Papadopoulos.

That's right

https://twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1178859272681279494

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/GeorgePapa19/status/1178862559266574336

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The year is 2399, I just finished dropping off a Ubereats Order to Megacity 02. I check my Super account, $0.02 Super credits were added as payment. I open my exchange rate app and for every 10 super credits I earn, I can transfer into 1 Franking Credit.

I shed a singular tear.

Praise Morrison, Praise Dutton, Praise God for this bread on my table.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

x1o posted:

All the good super funds are run by unions, so if people pull their money out of super, those funds will start to die which will weaken union influence.
Thanks.
That makes sense and I'd forgotten about that aspect of it.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

The year is 2399, I just finished dropping off a Ubereats Order to Megacity 02. I check my Super account, $0.02 Super credits were added as payment. I open my exchange rate app and for every 10 super credits I earn, I can transfer into 1 Franking Credit.

I shed a singular tear.

How dare you waste precious cotton irrigation water, 100 years in an iso-cube for you.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Most middle aged people are reliant on super for retirement though right? I'm struggling to think who would vote for this besides retirees who already got their payouts.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

I shed a singular tear.

Under his eye.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Humans are also terrible at evaluating large long term gain vs small short term gain, and will take the short term gain most of the time.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

abigserve posted:

Most middle aged people are reliant on super for retirement though right? I'm struggling to think who would vote for this besides retirees who already got their payouts.

The Zaurgs of the world.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

abigserve posted:

Watch them combine it with some kind of home deposit saving scheme. They've already shown that they want people to consider super to be money that would be better put towards a house.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i wish i was a white man in politics, it sounds like this amazing alternate reality game they get to play where nothing has consequences and everybody's a mentally handicapped james bond and the only work they have to do for their $200k is take an occasional field trip to auburn so they can say they saw a leb once

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I know somebody who is thrilled about the idea of voluntary super because, in her words "I can manage my own money if they'd just give it to me!", and she's somehow under the belief that employers would pay their staff the difference out of the kindness of their hearts.

There's no reasoning with some people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1178891119490322432

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Senor Tron posted:

Watch them combine it with some kind of home deposit saving scheme. They've already shown that they want people to consider super to be money that would be better put towards a house.

Yeah well given just how loving hard it is to actually buy a drat place in anything that looks vaguely like a city I can see that being popular to voters.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Down down, rates are down.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
excited for rates to hit zero

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

ECONOMY STRONK

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

bowmore posted:

excited for rates to hit zero

watch them start flirting with the idea of negative rates because the funds start screaming that they have nowhere left to invest

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Now business will invest in better wages for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
rates? where we're going we don't need rates