Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET INTO DA CHOPPA
Nov 22, 2007
D:
Whirlwind Scorpius lost the WHIRLWIND keyword, and can no longer be driven by Chronus nor use the stratagem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radlum
May 13, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Hope Marvel grabs Kieron Gillen for some of them.

If this project doesn't involve Gillen writing at least one series, then what's the point?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

JBP posted:

Darth Vader is extremely good. Immortal Hulk is currently great as well if you want to read a purely Marvel comic but good.

Thank you

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JBP posted:

Darth Vader is extremely good. Immortal Hulk is currently great as well if you want to read a purely Marvel comic but good.

These are pretty much some of the best comics this generation. In fact, I am willing to say that Kieron Gilliens Darth Vader is the best piece of Star Wars media that has ever been produced.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

These are pretty much some of the best comics this generation. In fact, I am willing to say that Kieron Gilliens Darth Vader is the best piece of Star Wars media that has ever been produced.

without knowing anything about the relationship between Marvel and GW as far as the final product goes I hope they at the very least get Gillien involved in the 40k stuff.

I also hope they get budget from these forays into other media and make a lotr style Horus Heresy film trilogy and get Jesse V. Johnson to direct it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 1, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So after reading the Goonhammer FAQ overview I'm confused: are Chaos Smash-Caps canceled again or can the jump pack guys still take a thunder hammer?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Schadenboner posted:

So after reading the Goonhammer FAQ overview I'm confused: are Chaos Smash-Caps canceled again or can the jump pack guys still take a thunder hammer?

Far as I know all that happened is they jacked up the price of thunder hammers for characters but only in the OG codex so chaos, blood angels, dark angels, space wolves and deathwatch are unaffected. This will probably be changed in Chapter Approved though since thats when point changes happen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh, I see it now. Lords on Juggo/Palanquin/Steed/Disc aren't able to take thunder hammers. Lord with Jump Pack can.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does the IG heavy weapons box have enough to make three of each weapon or just one of each?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does the IG heavy weapons box have enough to make three of each weapon or just one of each?

Three of each, making it possibly the only kit that actually comes with all of its options.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Well, it has three of each weapon.
The autocannon and lascannon share tripod and the handles the gunner is holding.

But with spare guardsmen, extra gunner arms, 3rd party tripods and six 60mm bases, you can potentially squeeze 9 teams out of a single box.

Mad robot for example have appropriate extra arms, as well as tripods.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Well, it has three of each weapon.
The autocannon and lascannon share tripod and the handles the gunner is holding.

But with spare guardsmen, extra gunner arms, 3rd party tripods and six 60mm bases, you can potentially squeeze 9 teams out of a single box.

Mad robot for example have appropriate extra arms, as well as tripods.

Not only is this correct, with a little ingenuity you can make 9 weapon teams with nothing more than the extra bases and spare infantry-box guardsmen models. The bipods intended for mortars can be cut down to fit autocannons or lascannons, gunner arms can be avoided by a gunner reaching for spare ammo or scanning with binoculars etc. Missile launchers, especially, use separate arm bits and look perfectly good with both models on the base standing up (so do mortars); any team looks fine with only one model knyou abeeling behind the gun.

If you're a real cheapskate, also, there's nothing saying you absolutely need 2 x models per base for a HWT; it's just the convention. If you're on a budget, just do one man per base, with some effort put into a scenic base it wouldn't even look that weird!

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
This reminds me I still need to make 9 GSC mortar teams. Is there a consensus on what the best Neophyte models are for that? The spare bodies that come with the Goliath seem decent but I’m open to suggestion.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

This reminds me I still need to make 9 GSC mortar teams. Is there a consensus on what the best Neophyte models are for that? The spare bodies that come with the Goliath seem decent but I’m open to suggestion.

Don't have any pictures or the models to hand, but thats exactly what I did. They're pretty much ideal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does mastercrafting boltstorm gauntlets change both the melee and shooting profile?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Does mastercrafting boltstorm gauntlets change both the melee and shooting profile?

quote:

Q. If I select a weapon with more than one profile for the
Master-crafted Weapon Special Issue Wargear (e.g. a plasma
pistol), does the increased Damage characteristic apply to all
profiles of that weapon, or must I select which profile of that
weapon is improved?
A: Add 1 to the Damage characteristic of all profiles of
that weapon. Note that weapons with similar names but
listed separately in the weapons table, such as boltstorm
gauntlet (melee) and boltstorm gauntlet (shooting),
are considered separate weapons, rather than the same
weapon with different profiles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Thank you booley you are a rules angel. Once again the enhanced punching was going to be gravy. I think setting up a boltstorm gauntlet fire twice at D2 is sweet and might be worth it.

E: especially if I deep strike them with my catechism of fire chappy or walk them up in deployment with infiltrators

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 2, 2019

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Back when GW was doing mail order bits I got enough steel legion lascannon crew to do a full autocannon HW team from the leftovers of a catachan heavy weapons squad. I don't think it would be too difficult to magnetize the tripod to switch out the lascannon & heavy Bolter options either.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Any advice on how to paint small flat edges without getting paint on the other sides? The part I'm painting is the edge of a Skitarii robe.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Skails posted:

Back when GW was doing mail order bits I got enough steel legion lascannon crew to do a full autocannon HW team from the leftovers of a catachan heavy weapons squad. I don't think it would be too difficult to magnetize the tripod to switch out the lascannon & heavy Bolter options either.

Only took you ....11 years to convert?

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I magnetized 9 heavy weapon squads with all options for my GSC and guard. It's a huge slog and very annoying. In retrospect, I wish I had ignored the hand position stuff and just placed the tripod and magnetized it with the various guns, and have the two guys standing around on the base, instead of trying to magnetize it so the sitting dude is holding on to the various guns.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Scholtz posted:

Any advice on how to paint small flat edges without getting paint on the other sides? The part I'm painting is the edge of a Skitarii robe.

Hold the brush perpendicular to the edge, don't have too much or too thin of paint on the brush and you should be good.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Getting interested in 40k again after a long-ish while - could I get some critique on this list? It's mostly based around models I already own and I can't imagine Sisters are at all competitive, but I'm wondering if I have any glaring oversights or boneheaded choices (beyond trying to play Sisters in the first place).

I'm planning to load the melee Canoness with Jacobus and the Repentia into a Rhino to be danger piece 1, Dominions with meltas in the Repressor as danger piece 2, Dominions with storm bolters in the Immolator as gap fillers, and the two meltagun Battle Sisters squads in the last rhino. The other 3 Battle Sister squads and the Retributors will footslog around with the base Canoness, while the Seraphim are held in deep strike. IG mostly there for horde clearing help.

I'm pretty sure Celestians (w/ Bloody Rose +1S and +1A on charge) or Arco-flagellants would help as melee support for the Canoness & Jacobus combo more than Repentia, but Repentia are in the list currently as I don't have models for the other options. My other big concern is how well Sisters can tackle durable targets like Knights.

++Bloody Rose Battalion Detachment (74 PL, 5CP, 1,305pts)++

HQ
Canoness [3 PL, 56pts]: Inferno pistol, Power sword, Relic: Blade of Admonition, Warlord, Warlord Trait: 2. Righteous Rage
Uriah Jacobus [3 PL, 50pts]
--Sororitas Rhino [4 PL, 75pts]: Storm bolter
Canoness [3 PL, 45pts]: Bolt pistol, Chainsword

Troops
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 73pts]: 5 Models, 2x Meltagun
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 73pts]: 5 Models, 2x Meltagun
--Sororitas Rhino [4 PL, 75pts]: Storm bolter
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 57pts]: 5 Models, 2x Flamer
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 57pts]: 5 Models, 2x Flamer
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 45pts]: 5 Models

Elites
Repentia Squad [6 PL, 120pts]: 8x Models

Fast Attack
Dominion Squad [5 PL, 60pts] 5 Models, 5x Storm bolters
--Immolator [5 PL, 98pts]: Immolation Flamer
Dominion Squad [7 PL, 141pts] 6 Models, 4x Meltaguns, Superior w/ Combi-Melta, Simulacrum Imperialis
--Sororitas Repressor [5 PL, 107pts]: Heavy flamer, Storm bolter
Seraphim Squad [4 PL, 88pts] 5 Models, 2x Dual Inferno Pistols, Superior w/ Plasma Pistol

Heavy Support
Retributor Squad [5 PL, 85pts] 5 Models, 4x Heavy Bolters

++Cadian Spearhead Detachment (16PL, 1CP, 195pts)++

HQ
Company Commander [2 PL, 30pts]: Chainsword, Laspistol

Elites
Veterans [5 PL, 66pts] 10 Models, 2x Grenade Launchers, Veteran Weapon Team w/ Autocannon

Heavy Support
Heavy Weapons Squad [3 PL, 33pts] 3x Mortar

Total: [90 PL, 6(+3)CP, 1,500pts]

Nancy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 2, 2019

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Awkward timing but sisters are getting a codex next month with an entire line of plastic models so I'd hold off just a bit longer.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I'm aware of the codex release, but I promised my buddy a game soon that I'm already late on. Although I guess the moral is that it list mess ups won't matter for long anyways...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Charles Get-Out posted:

I'm aware of the codex release, but I promised my buddy a game soon that I'm already late on. Although I guess the moral is that it list mess ups won't matter for long anyways...

My apologies. The list looks solid, though any reason you cant move an HQ and the fast attacks to a third detachment for another cp?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

RagnarokAngel posted:

My apologies. The list looks solid, though any reason you cant move an HQ and the fast attacks to a third detachment for another cp?

Oh dang, good catch. Yeah the basic Canoness and Fast Attacks could move, thanks!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Getting interested in 40k again after a long-ish while - could I get some critique on this list? It's mostly based around models I already own and I can't imagine Sisters are at all competitive, but I'm wondering if I have any glaring oversights or boneheaded choices (beyond trying to play Sisters in the first place).

See list in original post above

List looks reasonable, with the caveat that it'll have the same trouble that all Sisters lists have with killing tanks. When all your anti-tank is in melta all your opponent has to do is kill the melta before it gets danger close, and then drive around and laugh at you. And sadly, 3+ armor doesn't do much to keep T4 marines alive, much less your T3 sisters! Since you're souping in some Guard anyway, have you got any missile launcher or even better lascannon teams available? Best of all would be a Leman Russ or three. I love 9d6 mortar shots per turn as much as the next Guard commander, but you've got plenty of bolter and heavy bolter on the board already for anti-infantry. I'd be willing to lose the Veterans to upgrade the guns on the Heavy Weapon Teams. Alternatively, lose the flamers in the regular Sister squads. Since those girls haven't got a Rhino, they'll be hard pressed to ever use the flamers while regular bolters will at least get a few shots off.

Of course this all depends on what your opponent is bringing. If you don't expect to see many vehicles or big monsters then by all means, focus on anti-infantry.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Big Willy Style posted:

Only took you ....11 years to convert?

Longer, that's my 2004 to 2017 ham break showing. If I had done them before they would have been stripped already anyway. I'm starting with a new scheme on the infantry first.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
A poster on a French 40k forum with a good track record for rumours is claiming these are the opening books for Psychic Awakening:

Volume 1: Asuryani vs Drukhari
Volume 2: Chaos vs Black Templars
Volume 3: Blood Angels vs Tyranids
Volume 4: Space Wolves vs Orks

Also says there are over 5 books and we'll see more than one this year.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to Volume 7: Tau v. Necrons

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
People already datamined a Sisters logo with the filename along the lines of "PA_2" like a minute after the website went up so grain of salt on that list.

The 3rd and 4th especially as that's retreading old ground and dredging up storylines already over.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SteelMentor posted:

People already datamined a Sisters logo with the filename along the lines of "PA_2" like a minute after the website went up so grain of salt on that list.

The 3rd and 4th especially as that's retreading old ground and dredging up storylines already over.

Also that would mean at least 5 books until Space Marines Ultramarines got more content, which is inconceivable.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 2, 2019

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although at the same time we haven't seen any signs of the Space Marine Camaro or the multi-part Infiltrators yet so they're getting more toys regardless any weekend now.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cooked Auto posted:

Although at the same time we haven't seen any signs of the Space Marine Camaro or the multi-part Infiltrators yet so they're getting more toys regardless any weekend now.

Or Suppressors.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Or Suppressors.

Ah yeah. Forgot about those as well. But then we haven't even seen the multi part kit of those previewed unlike the others. I guess they'll just get a pity release or something alongside with whatever is left from the chaos side.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

jng2058 posted:

List looks reasonable, with the caveat that it'll have the same trouble that all Sisters lists have with killing tanks. When all your anti-tank is in melta all your opponent has to do is kill the melta before it gets danger close, and then drive around and laugh at you. And sadly, 3+ armor doesn't do much to keep T4 marines alive, much less your T3 sisters! Since you're souping in some Guard anyway, have you got any missile launcher or even better lascannon teams available? Best of all would be a Leman Russ or three. I love 9d6 mortar shots per turn as much as the next Guard commander, but you've got plenty of bolter and heavy bolter on the board already for anti-infantry. I'd be willing to lose the Veterans to upgrade the guns on the Heavy Weapon Teams. Alternatively, lose the flamers in the regular Sister squads. Since those girls haven't got a Rhino, they'll be hard pressed to ever use the flamers while regular bolters will at least get a few shots off.

Of course this all depends on what your opponent is bringing. If you don't expect to see many vehicles or big monsters then by all means, focus on anti-infantry.

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have an extra HWS box and another on top wouldn't be super expensive, so I'll look into shifting some points around and dropping the Vets.

My main anti-armor theory was the Repressor loaded with Meltaguns, potentially 39"+ threat counting initial move, Vanguard move, AoF move, etc. Secondary was the Bloody Rose Repentia with Jacobus and the Canoness, making 4 S8 attacks per Repentia on charge, rerolling 1s to hit, with the potential for revenge mortal wounds via Stratagem.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Ah yeah. Forgot about those as well. But then we haven't even seen the multi part kit of those previewed unlike the others. I guess they'll just get a pity release or something alongside with whatever is left from the chaos side.

I expect them to turn up a while later, they are on the sprue with other stuff and the codex does not have them in it with anything but the auto cannons when most of the new kits are dual builds/weapon options. they could turn up somewhere weird like in one of the awakening books I suppose, but there are the other suggested models and the expectation of more waves at some point.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Charles Get-Out posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! I do have an extra HWS box and another on top wouldn't be super expensive, so I'll look into shifting some points around and dropping the Vets.

My main anti-armor theory was the Repressor loaded with Meltaguns, potentially 39"+ threat counting initial move, Vanguard move, AoF move, etc. Secondary was the Bloody Rose Repentia with Jacobus and the Canoness, making 4 S8 attacks per Repentia on charge, rerolling 1s to hit, with the potential for revenge mortal wounds via Stratagem.

I get that, and it can work....if you get first turn. If you don't, though, those Rhinos are going to melt quick to any kind of dedicated anti-tank fire and then trying to walk across the board to either melta or charge is going to suck. Of course, its not like HWS are that particularly survivable either, being only 6 wounds at T3 5+, so not getting first turn is pretty bad for you either way. I'd recommend deploying your Rhinos out of line sight as much as possible so that even if you go second, one or the other of the Rhinos might live long enough to zip forward and drop off your important ladies. Definitely try and vanguard that Repressor behind a building or hill or something if you know you're going second.

Also remember that unlike earlier editions, in 8th you disembark from transports at the START of your movement phase. Which means even if you do get to go first on turn one and move+advance your transports, you won't be able to shoot or charge with the gals inside until turn two, which gives your opponent a chance to crack the Rhinos open on his half of turn one and then shoot your sisters as they crawl out of the wreckage. It also means he can move away from the Rhinos and get out of melta or charge range, which sucks too. Don't forget that Rhinos come with Smoke Launchers, and popping smoke on turn one to get the -1 to be hit is much more valuable than a couple of storm bolter shots when all you really care about is getting the girls inside someplace useful.

Nice thing about the Repressor, though, is that it has fire points unlike my poor Guard Chimeras (some rear end in a top hat welded all our roof hatch doors shut in 8th!) so that one at least can move and blast on turn one. Could be a problem if they set up a decent screen though to keep your Repressor from getting within 12" of the heavy stuff.

Anyway, give it your best and then come back here and tell us how it went. I'm curious how it works out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Is the box of Blackstone cultists they're releasing mono-pose?