Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I haven't checked into this thread in a long time; have people already posted those simpsons vids by Super Eyepatch Wolf?

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yes we have posted them both many times they’re very good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

He's a fairly earnest irish dude who's done a few videos on the relevance of the simpsons past and present, and I thought they were pretty good summaries of what people love(d) about the show.

The first vid he did a while back talks about the early years, what made the show amazing, and the massive drop in quality after the departure of the original writing staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

The second vid he made recently explores the proliferation of unofficial simpsons themed content during the last 2 decades (zombie simpsons years) as a way of coping with the anxieties of contemporary culture. Late-stage simpsons doesn't seem to be very enticing at all or very good at exploring the culture that surrounds it...yet the original idea of the simpsons still persists in people's minds for numerous reasons, and its countercultural spirit seems somewhat better represented by this disparate meme poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83V2OJ1o

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ohh yes, those have been posted, but they're really good and worth posting again for sure

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Yes we have posted them both many times they’re very good

lol goddammit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
skinner went back to vietnam

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

He's a fairly earnest irish dude who's done a few videos on the relevance of the simpsons past and present, and I thought they were pretty good summaries of what people love(d) about the show.

The first vid he did a while back talks about the early years, what made the show amazing, and the massive drop in quality after the departure of the original writing staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk

The second vid he made recently explores the proliferation of unofficial simpsons themed content during the last 2 decades (zombie simpsons years) as a way of coping with the anxieties of contemporary culture. Late-stage simpsons doesn't seem to be very enticing at all or very good at exploring the culture that surrounds it...yet the original idea of the simpsons still persists in people's minds for numerous reasons, and its countercultural spirit seems somewhat better represented by this disparate meme poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8er83V2OJ1o

I suppose that the fact nobody in Disney or the writing room has been able to use the massive Simpsons meme resurgence to revitalize the show in the slightest, is the ultimate proof that there is no saving it, it's truly dead.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
well i watched it. it's not good. But it's not even close to being the worst one I've ever seen. There's even a few ok jokes.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

This kind of sums up everything that's gone wrong from the classic era to the current episodes. There's a kernel of a good joke there (Homer requiring written instructions from Marge to act like a sensible person), but it's structured so poorly and delivered so flatly that it just never has any chance of being funny.

Compare it to a "Homer requiring written instructions from Marge to act like a sensible person" joke from season 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVQ7T5OG7Y

Although none of the elements of the joke here are particularly hilarious in themselves, it's put together and delivered so well that it becomes much funnier than it has any right to be. The way Homer delivers that line, "you kids do need a babysitter!", with such earnestness - like he's just discovered some truth of great importance - stands out to me as one of the funniest lines in the show's history despite the fact that it's essentially a throwaway line to set up the next joke. His desperate "no!" when he yanks the card away from Bart is also great. Bart's reaction is another example of how you can make otherwise incidental lines funny by including a few carefully thought-out details. The way he speaks and shakes his fist ("like a grizzled 1890s prospector") is out of place for a 10-year-old boy, and there's a great, subtle little piece of animation where we see him twig before turning and asking for the card.

Honestly, I can imagine this exact joke on the newer seasons, but it'd just be terribly paced, structured and performed:

Lisa: Hey Dad, I think state and federal laws require us to have a babysitter! (This line would be the same, but it'd be delivered cheerily by Yeardley Smith like she's providing exposition in a show for 6 year-olds.)
Homer: What, Lisa! Don't you know how much babysitters cost? I already put aside $200 for your college fund, didn't I? Isn't that enough? (Homer can't just be naive in the new episodes, but a shithead as well.)
Bart: You're absolutely right, Dad. We don't need a babysitter! (This line would also be the same, but instead of the humourously foreboding delivery of the original, it'd be delivered in a gratingly cocky way.)
Homer: *slowly enough to gently caress up the timing of the joke* Heeyyyy... Waaaaiiiit a minute...
Homer: *takes out the card and reads aloud because the audience are idiots* "Always. Do. The opposite. Of. What. Bart. Says..." Hmmm...So if Bart doesn't want a babysitter.... I got it! I'm going to get you kids a babysitter!
Bart: Oh, that card sucks so much. Hey, Dad, don't give me that card!
Homer: So Bart wants me to give him the card... that means I should.... let's see... carry the 2... here you go.
Bart: Hah hah hah!
Homer: D'oh!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"I'm a stupid baby"

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

"I'm a stupid baby"

BeanpolePeckerwood needs the most attention!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I dunno if it's even a contender considering how many seasons ago it was.. like.. 24 I think.. but I had to sit through an episode today and it was so goddamn unfocused.

Starts off with Homer asleep in the hammock in the back garden, one drawn out stupid dream sequence later, he wakes up because it's raining, He goes inside, there's leaks all in the ceiling, so he goes to moes, a bunch of unfortunate poo poo happens to Homer on his way home, then he gets dragged to a Silent Auction at the school. Some how he wins the "Mapple MyPad" (oh for gently caress's sake) and starts spending all his time loving around with the apps, oh he loves apps, apps apps apps! He starts ignoring his kids when he takes them on days out because he's playing on his ..urgh...myPad.. yes I thought he was already in the business of ignoring his kids but here we go this isn't even half way yet. Homer's playing some ap while out walking, gets distracted, falls down an open manhole, and breaks the MyPad and ends up in hospital. Once he goes back home, he's back in a funk thinking the world is crap again, but one day Ned comes to bother him about a great miracle! The word "Hope" has formed itself from sap on the bark of one of the trees in his back yard. It revigorates homer, who talks about the amazing miracle in church. People turn up, and start praising the tree, wearing weird hope tree hats. There's a montage. Then Kent Brockman debunks it with footage of someone sneaking into the garden at night and painting hope on the tree with just regular maple syrup. (the footage is from the eye view of the person doing it no less) Everyone leaves, Marge tries to console Homer about being content and stuff. But homer's too distracted licking the maple syrup off the tree. And it turns out he was sleep walking for some reason and he's the one that painted it on there.

Also Steve...goddammit Mobs is in heaven, and is god's boss now!

That sure was a loving mess for one goddamn episode. It must have sure felt like an unfocused, busy clusterfuck to fill a full episode with.

wait? there's more? what the gently caress do you mean there's more? They managed to make that all fit into 15 minutes?

Yes for some loving reason the rest of the episode is a King Kong parody, where all the characters and props are brands and products seen on the show. funzo is king kong, he kidnaps malibu stacey and climbs the duffbuilding or some poo poo. The End.

hallelujah, holy poo poo. Where's the tylenol.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The new one had some satire to it, but the jokes were bad and it was very heavy-handed. But I guess at least they tried :shrug:

Homer gets mocked on sports call-in show, so he takes to YouTube. Bart wrecks his video, and their ensuing fight gets a ton of views. They catch the eye of a video producer (John Mulaney playing a character not himself), who starts taking advantage of them by making them hurt each other with brand sponsorships and paying them very little. One of their fights is at a Utica Wild Thighs. It culminates with them refusing to fight to the death at an event sponsored by Netflix.

The B story: The schoolkids are being fed tator tots from a vending machine. They're so stale and hard that Lisa accidentally fires one off trying to fork it, kicking off a food fight. She gets sent to privatized detention where the school is juicing the numbers with minor infractions to meet their quota of workers to stamp tiny bike license plates. Lisa leads a strike, and the school solves the problem of their contract with the privatized detention firm by getting the teachers to do it.

Two jokes I actually liked:

- Skinner enters the food fight, says he's flashing back to 'Nam, and has a flashback where his platoon is having a food fight.
- They did a classic "brain vs. mouth dialogue" joke, but it was Marge instead of Homer, with her brain trying to get her not to give Homer the idea to do his own YouTube show.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

- They did a classic "brain vs. mouth dialogue" joke, but it was Marge instead of Homer, with her brain trying to get her not to give Homer the idea to do his own YouTube show.

"Don't ask me! I'm just hair! Your head stopped eighteen inches ago!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I haven't checked into this thread in a long time; have people already posted those simpsons vids by Super Eyepatch Wolf?

Zombie Simpsons? Yep.

Edit:
gently caress didn't see that was the end of the last page.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 1, 2019

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

The new one had some satire to it, but the jokes were bad and it was very heavy-handed. But I guess at least they tried :shrug:

There was such a laziness to their online and viral referencing. It kind of felt like watching one of those awful parody _____ Movie movies of the 2000s.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I got really drunk and figured if I tried the new Simpsons now it'd have a decent shot at making me laugh. Only once, when during the food fight a tater tot hits Groundskeeper Willie in the helmet, he takes it off to examine the dent, and a second tater tot hits him between the eyes. I chuckled, then had to turn it off because of how boring it got when the Youtube influencer guy showed Homer the laughing monkey video.

A solid minute of Homer laughing at a bad Youtube video from over ten years ago. If I wanted to see poo poo like that I'd watch my boomer family members watch Americas Funniest Home Videos.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pooch516 posted:

"Don't ask me! I'm just hair! Your head stopped eighteen inches ago!"

Oh yeah that's right. I guess they didn't do anything new at all then.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

i think the show might be bad, folks

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh also Bart and Homer simultaneously did the floss dance and they put up a caption that said "backpack kid please don't sue us".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s awesome.:suicide:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I suppose that the fact nobody in Disney or the writing room has been able to use the massive Simpsons meme resurgence to revitalize the show in the slightest, is the ultimate proof that there is no saving it, it's truly dead.

The Fox/Disney merger finalized 6 months ago. That is nowhere near enough time to retool a big animation property like the simpsons.

has there been any word that disney wants to change up our favorite show?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Last Chance posted:

The Fox/Disney merger finalized 6 months ago. That is nowhere near enough time to retool a big animation property like the simpsons.

has there been any word that disney wants to change up our favorite show?

if it goes anything like star wars did marge will have purple hair now instead of blue.

i don't think disney could make the show worse even if it tried.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I need a gif of Homer and Bart flossing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I need a gif of Homer and Bart flossing.

No, you don't.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Yes, the bootleg Simpsons toy I created was featured in his latest :agesilaus:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Oh also Bart and Homer simultaneously did the floss dance and they put up a caption that said "backpack kid please don't sue us".

I blocked this out of my memory really quickly, I guess. :ughh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

I blocked this out of my memory really quickly, I guess. :ughh:

Defense mechanism

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"
https://twitter.com/dailysimpsons/status/1180519912302886914
:cripes: just why

eta extremely cursed screenshot

DorkusMalorkus fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 5, 2019

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
That movie was poo poo and the episode will be poo poo.
Perfect crossover :gary:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

If they show Homer blowing lines with Elton John and sucking a dude off I might check it out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cosmik Slop posted:

If they show Homer blowing lines with Elton John and sucking a dude off I might check it out

:hmmorks:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Not ending May 21, 2000

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm surprised that they never did another Scorpio episode after the bad times

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

so i actually watched last night out of the corner of my eye and i did not see the live aid thing. It was about some weirdo homer simpson fan/stalker or some such poo poo.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

ikanreed posted:

sssshh, don't give them ideas

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i mean FFS they tried to give Lurleen a Real and Serious backstory and I think that's when we just gave up entirely. we stuck with the show way too long

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, Homer gets demoted to training the interns. One of them loves him (voiced by Michael Rappaport). I dunno, this one couldn't hold my attention at all. Smithers sounds just loving awful now. Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ikanreed posted:

Maybe if he had been voiced by one of the regulars instead of Albert Brooks.