Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Deleter posted:

Stuff like this makes me really mad and confused about the Tories remaining a force in this country. Nobody's excited for their ideas (if they have any at all)

The Graun, cursed to watch this hellscape, have said that literally every talk by a cabinet minister has not been a policy announcement or discussion but merely testing out attack soundbites for an election. Literally just slogans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am morbidly curious to see how boris is going to do an election campaign because he can't go anywhere without someone telling him he's a fuckwit. Which I'm not sure will go better or worse than may's attempt to do a general election campaign without talking to anyone.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mediadave posted:

Sunny is right, this would the ideal time and way to establish a young successor to Corbyn clean of baggage.

The problem isn't Corbyn. Any vaguely lefty successor is going to be hit with the same poo poo and be unpalatable to the centrists and Libdems - especially under Swinson.

If this successor supported the same policies as him, without any of his :airquote:"baggage":airquote:, you'll still see articles about how antisemitic they are because they criticise Israli government policy to Palistine, or want to tax bankers, or don't like bagels.

Or how they're secret terrorist supporters, or whatever the gently caress. Or how them sneezing at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday is disrespecting ARE BOYS.

Their issue, ultimately, is with the policies. Slandering Corbyn is a means to an end, but they'll do exactly the loving same with any left successor.

And it's a terrible idea to do a leadership thing at this exact moment immediately before what's looking to be a general election either this month or next, just because the notoriously unreliable polls say "Oh well, good job Corbyn, time to get back into your box, and it'll make Swinson happy".

That said, we should be looking for someone to follow, and be sure they're not immediately gonna go full melt. But right now, at this exact moment in time I don't think that's a good idea.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

I'd need to know what the UKMT discord link is before I can do that :shobon:

Should be this, I think?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Was BOZZA LEGEND a real thing at all, even? It feels like some kind of bubble's burst and now everyone's De Niro kicking this clown. I can't see any paper outside of the Fascism Trio giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Tesseraction posted:

The Graun, cursed to watch this hellscape, have said that literally every talk by a cabinet minister has not been a policy announcement or discussion but merely testing out attack soundbites for an election. Literally just slogans.

gently caress me, they're out of ideas entirely. Didn't they throw out "Living Wage but eventually/not at all" as well? They love not having to commit to promises.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I'd need to know what the UKMT discord link is before I can do that :shobon:

https://discord.gg/vnWwfX

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

OwlFancier posted:

I am morbidly curious to see how boris is going to do an election campaign because he can't go anywhere without someone telling him he's a fuckwit.
No but you see, Jeremy Corbyn is much less popular than Johnson is right now. Corbyn might get much more positive responses every time he goes to meet the public, but our polling sugghzjsajsvvsaa :unsmigghh:

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

an_mutt posted:

No but you see, Jeremy Corbyn is much less popular than Johnson is right now. Corbyn might get much more positive responses every time he goes to meet the public, but our polling sugghzjsajsvvsaa :unsmigghh:

https://twitter.com/dcakraemer/status/1178658460986159104

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other problem with anyone younger than him is that he's singularly dull for an MP, like no weird sex scandals or monstrous hobbies or anything. No history of voting for evil poo poo.

So you're left with people from the blair years who all have a right lovely past, or people my age who all have twitter histories and if you think the press have made a meal of corbyn's past to great effect you have no idea how they'd do with the online generations. That will become less of a problem as the left becomes more radical (and more online themselves) but right now I really don't think there is anyone better than corbyn, which is all the more reason we need some good lefty MPs in this election.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cheers, have added both.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

In my admittedly anecdotal experiences the media environment is so unrelentingly hostile that people actually do dislike Corbyn. Outside of the rabid right though they don't actually have a reason for it other than vague 'his policies are too expensive/unrealistic' (they don't actually know any of his policies).

I think in any election we will see a less extreme re-run of last time with exposure making people realise that huh a lot of that actually sounds like a good idea...

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Pesky Splinter posted:

The problem isn't Corbyn. Any vaguely lefty successor is going to be hit with the same poo poo and be unpalatable to the centrists and Libdems - especially under Swinson.

If this successor supported the same policies as him, without any of his :airquote:"baggage":airquote:, you'll still see articles about how antisemitic they are because they criticise Israli government policy to Palistine, or want to tax bankers, or don't like bagels.

Or how they're secret terrorist supporters, or whatever the gently caress. Or how them sneezing at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday is disrespecting ARE BOYS.

Their issue, ultimately, is with the policies. Slandering Corbyn is a means to an end, but they'll do exactly the loving same with any left successor.

And it's a terrible idea to do a leadership thing at this exact moment immediately before what's looking to be a general election either this month or next, just because the notoriously unreliable polls say "Oh well, good job Corbyn, time to get back into your box, and it'll make Swinson happy".

That said, we should be looking for someone to follow, and be sure they're not immediately gonna go full melt. But right now, at this exact moment in time I don't think that's a good idea.

This is pretty much exactly correct - don't forget there was plenty of similar attacks on Miliband and he was trying his hardest to appeal to the libs

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

To be honest, if it were possible for Corbyn to step down and be replaced by someone like Laura Pidcock or Rebecca Long-Bailey quickly and without drama, I would say we should definitely do that. But it would absolutely not be without drama, there’s a not terribly low chance it would end with Blairites seizing control, and it would take forever, with an election due in a couple of months.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

It's amazing what you can get away with when the main things driving the voting base of your party are racism and dementia.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1179001353777102851

Note the hashtag.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be honest, if it were possible for Corbyn to step down and be replaced by someone like Laura Pidcock or Rebecca Long-Bailey quickly and without drama, I would say we should definitely do that. But it would absolutely not be without drama, there’s a not terribly low chance it would end with Blairites seizing control, and it would take forever, with an election due in a couple of months.

It also ignores that a lot of the labour party like him, they voted for him, and the chance to have him be PM is a significant motivator for people to put in the groundwork. You aren't just selling a labour leader to the public, the labour leader is the locus of a lot of the party's energy, they motivate people to be active party members.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

VideoGames posted:

Note the hashtag.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

pictured: a disinterested dog watches a man plead for attention

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

"CPC19#bestialiaty."

Yikes :lol:

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

He can't even spell it right...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know that dogs are foolish and loving creatures and can't really "smell" evil on people, but at the same time the fact that that dog appears pissed at the human is hilarious.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Ok confession time I registered to the Torygraph (for free) so I can read some of their stuff from time to time.
Anyway, just got this email from the Associate Editor of the TG with the following paragraph:

(They are at the tory conference):

quote:

While no one could blame them for attempting to park their tanks on Labour's lawn in a bid to attract voters in leave constituencies away from Nigel Farage's Brexit Party, delegates here have understandably been left scratching their heads at the orchard of magic money trees seemingly being planted before their very eyes. Many agree it was right for austerity to be killed off, but with the potential economic fall out from a no-Deal Brexit looming, and small and medium sized businesses already feeling neglected by a party that once prided itself on representing Britain's 'nation of shopkeepers', could the Tories' sudden fiscal loosening actually prove to be self-defeating?

On my way to the wall....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

pictured: a disinterested dog watches a man plead for attention

It's almost like they're trained specifically not to do that :v:

E: guide dogs, not tories.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It also ignores that a lot of the labour party like him, they voted for him, and the chance to have him be PM is a significant motivator for people to put in the groundwork. You aren't just selling a labour leader to the public, the labour leader is the locus of a lot of the party's energy, they motivate people to be active party members.

Yeah, having just attended my first CLP meeting and having been asked “do you support Corbyn?” about forty times, I get it. But if Corbyn stepped down voluntarily and enthusiastically supported his successor, I think it would be fine in that regard.

Of course, it’s just political fan fiction, it’s not going to happen. But I will say that if Labour don’t form a government after the next election, then Corbyn really has got to go.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hope that tweet catches the wind and is discussed on the 6pm news followed by revelations revealed on the 10pm news that the dog is in fact a remoaner activist and will be put down live on News Night, neatly sidestepping Fabricants desire to be hosed by a dog at conference

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

The Deleter posted:

The other four Mambos must not be played. The first one summons locusts, the second one turns water to blood, we never found where the test subjects we got to play the third one went, and the fourth one's just kind of sucks.

Guavanaut posted:

done :)

That sounds really medically useful but I keep playing it and it's not working. (Thanks for posting them CGI Stardust).

e: ^^^ :discourse: lol

Can you please stop? I'm trying to make tea and suddenly there's blood everywhere!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok confession time I registered to the Torygraph (for free) so I can read some of their stuff from time to time.
Anyway, just got this email from the Associate Editor of the TG with the following paragraph:

Lmao at thinking tory voters care about economics in tyool 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Perhaps it actually means bra incels. I have no idea what that means but I'm sure we can come up with something.
You made me remember that this exists, lol

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I prefer the joke that was most recently used by Big John in his conference speech, referring to the magic money tree being in the Cayman Islands and ready to be dug up and brought back home.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
:siren: :siren: :siren: TWEETMAN GALAXY BRAIN TAKE ALERT. DO NOT CLICK WITHOUT 05 APPROVAL. KETER CLASS COGNITOHAZARD :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1179013129268793345?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: TWEETMAN GALAXY BRAIN TAKE ALERT. DO NOT CLICK WITHOUT 05 APPROVAL. KETER CLASS COGNITOHAZARD :siren: :siren: :siren:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thomas, this is an intervention, please, your family is dying

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
idgi

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thomas, this is an intervention, please, your family is dying

Look i spoilered it and everything let me do my masochism in peace

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josef bugman posted:

I know that dogs are foolish and loving creatures and can't really "smell" evil on people, but at the same time the fact that that dog appears pissed at the human is hilarious.

Dogs are big lovely goofballs but they're also very perceptive and attuned to human body language

Basically that dog is well aware the human lying next to him is malevolent

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Darth Walrus posted:

The Labour rulebook requires the leader of the party to be their PM candidate, and Corbyn is the elected Leader of the Opposition with first dibs on forming a government under FTPA. This is a ridiculous fantasy - if Corbyn wants Rayner to replace him, he's going to have to step down and hold a months-long leadership election, which is an insane thing to do in the current climate.

That’s a pretty weak objection that amounts to “don’t want” not “can’t”. It’s the party’s internal rules, not the law of the land. If they wanted to interpret it as applying only to a Labour government and not national unity government they it’s up to them to do so.

Otherwise the strict interpretation would mean Labour could never be the minority party in a coalition (not a position they want to be in but can’t rule out decline in the future).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

This is a cry for help

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

That's barely even a euclid, come on.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

A far better objection is that the electorate didn't vote for PM Harriet loving Harman or whoever, so it just looks like MPs ignoring people again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

She's implying the USSR was communist instead of state capitalist, because she doesn't understand economic policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hmmmm. Out-of-date, outdated documents...where have I heard that before?