Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, the goblin gang-rape and implication that this is just a regular and accepted, although reviled, occurrence in that society, is real bad. It nearly turned me off right there, but I kept watching on the strength of recommendations. Action is okay, but the entire thing suffered from Too Many Boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's so many anime I haven't watched that don't involve a race that sounds like my parents ranting about those mood lams and why they need to all die.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For those curious about my change of accent: I would rather not go into too much detail, so let's just say I developed a British accent for employment reasons. This was about two years ago, and as I've become more comfortable speaking in that accent, it has become more and more difficult for me to balance it and my American accent. As I've started using my British accent for everything except for online stuff, I've decided to cut loose and finally use it for everything. You might notice that my accent is a bit lighter at the start of this video and gets heavier as it goes on, and that's because the commentary of this video was recorded over the course of four months. At first I tried to bridge the gap between my old and new accent, but by the halfway point of this video I wasn't really able to any more. Sorry for the discontinuity!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

For those curious about my change of accent: I would rather not go into too much detail, so let's just say I developed a British accent for employment reasons. This was about two years ago, and as I've become more comfortable speaking in that accent, it has become more and more difficult for me to balance it and my American accent. As I've started using my British accent for everything except for online stuff, I've decided to cut loose and finally use it for everything. You might notice that my accent is a bit lighter at the start of this video and gets heavier as it goes on, and that's because the commentary of this video was recorded over the course of four months. At first I tried to bridge the gap between my old and new accent, but by the halfway point of this video I wasn't really able to any more. Sorry for the discontinuity!

lol I did see that.

Video seemed mostly reasonable but I didn't watch the whole thing because good lord it's like an hour and twenty minutes, which is probably close to half the runtime of the show lol.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Nm

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, but it's easy to skip over that and take it at face value if you're too young/uncritical when you first read it.

It's hard to read between the lines when just reading the lines is incredibly tedious.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Wait a minute this isn't ADTRW!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That Guy Bob posted:

Wait a minute this isn't ADTRW!

Oh, sorry, for a moment I thought I was in PYF.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anime can appear anytime, anywhere, without warning!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dareon posted:

Yeah, the goblin gang-rape and implication that this is just a regular and accepted, although reviled, occurrence in that society, is real bad. It nearly turned me off right there, but I kept watching on the strength of recommendations. Action is okay, but the entire thing suffered from Too Many Boobs.

Maybe don't listen to the recs of someone who tells you "just power through the gang-rape scene, it gets better".

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I was gonna compare the genre to Thomas Covenant and woah I guess I was more right than I thought???

(Or Gor, oh Jesus)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shoehead posted:

I was gonna compare the genre to Thomas Covenant and woah I guess I was more right than I thought???

(Or Gor, oh Jesus)

Any fiction will eventually devolve into the authors kinks. Sometimes it’s feet and sometimes it’s rape.

That’s why you never read or watch something without some info beforehand

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

To be fair to isekai, it was a genre geared towards girls and women in the past. Like with Inuyasha and Fushigi Yuugi, 'girl travels through time/to another world' was a pretty popular story plot in the 1990s although I never heard to it referred to as isekai until recently. Right off the top of my head the earliest examples I can think of are Anatolia Story (1990s), Daughter of the Nile (1970s), Magic Knight Rayearth (1990s) and From Far Away (1990s). They didn't have any of the RPG-gameplay tropes that seem really popular now either, and while I'm sure there were plenty of terrible and bad ones in the past, I don't think any of them had 'collect a literal harem of girls for your own sexual pleasure' that seem to power most modern isekai.

otoh the resurgence of popularity of isekai means that the genre for girls' isekai has bounced back since it died out after the 90s, although most of it seems to be a variation of "I am a modern girl reborn as the villain character in my favorite game/book/manga!"

shield hero is 100% trash though and hearing people praise it for having a good story makes me angry

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Splash Attack posted:

To be fair to isekai, it was a genre geared towards girls and women in the past. Like with Inuyasha and Fushigi Yuugi, 'girl travels through time/to another world' was a pretty popular story plot in the 1990s although I never heard to it referred to as isekai until recently. Right off the top of my head the earliest examples I can think of are Anatolia Story (1990s), Daughter of the Nile (1970s), Magic Knight Rayearth (1990s) and From Far Away (1990s). They didn't have any of the RPG-gameplay tropes that seem really popular now either, and while I'm sure there were plenty of terrible and bad ones in the past, I don't think any of them had 'collect a literal harem of girls for your own sexual pleasure' that seem to power most modern isekai.

otoh the resurgence of popularity of isekai means that the genre for girls' isekai has bounced back since it died out after the 90s, although most of it seems to be a variation of "I am a modern girl reborn as the villain character in my favorite game/book/manga!"

shield hero is 100% trash though and hearing people praise it for having a good story makes me angry

Fushigi Yuugi was a harem show for sure, with the protagonist collecting pretty boys that were all into her to some extent. The ludicrous highlight was the gay character wistfully dreaming about going on a date with her in his dying moments.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

The Terrible Anime Thread

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Franco-Belgian comics and animation should be the theme for next thread.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

anime cannot, by definition, be terrible.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Call Your Grandma posted:

Anime is, by definition, terrible.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Anime is a terrible definition.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
anime as a genre is an extremely clean cut definition

"anime" as a pejorative is also an extremely clean cut definition. it means "has a bunch of waifus but none of them are my waifu"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Anime is blood.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

*David Attenborough* Anime...is all around us.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The White Dragon posted:

"anime" as a pejorative is also an extremely clean cut definition. it means "has a bunch of waifus but none of them are my waifu"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Anime is blood.

Anime is Life

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Hav posted:

Anime is Wife

:hai:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Call Your Grandma posted:

The fans, on the other hand...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gynovore posted:

The fans, on the other hand...

Anime cannot be fail, only be failed.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1124170/Spiralagon/

Just... dizzy.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
doesn't even look particularly fuzzy

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

This is maybe the most Ulililia game I've ever seen.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wow, Pandemonium 3

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"This product is in your discovery queue because it is has positive user reviews"

e: i really wish i could embed that trailer; it shows a lot of gameplay! but apparently chinese youtube folks are on the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyinLPb-kM

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 5, 2019

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149660/Seek_Girl/

quote:

This game is a smart casual game. You can unlock beautiful girls without eating all the rabbits.

Yes, that was what was stopping me from buying these games. The rabbits.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"This product is in your discovery queue because it is has positive user reviews"

e: i really wish i could embed that trailer; it shows a lot of gameplay! but apparently chinese youtube folks are on the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQyinLPb-kM

If that were in English I'd definitely at least add it to my wishlist.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Foo Diddley posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149660/Seek_Girl/

Yes, that was what was stopping me from buying these games. The rabbits.

Tell me about the rabbits, George.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068050/ENZBOTS/

Something isn't right.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I love the way the trailer shows "Powered by Unreal" and then goes into a 5 fps slideshow.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

:allears:

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

I downloaded the demo and it crashes on startup lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Ian GUMBY Mitchell: