Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

You can get a trailer suitable for sheet goods for <$500

Yeah that does come up from time to time, but it's not the same. The hassle of having to hook it up, figure out parking, narrow UK streets, all that kind of business. Not quite the same as just getting in the vehicle and going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Of course, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper than, say, buying a truck.

Or you could do it like me and forever float a couple cars, a truck, and a trailer between too few storage/parking spaces. Used to be able to park the truck and trailer on the slab next to the shop but then I made an annex out of that so I'd have a place to park the mower, sweeper, tractor trailer, snow blower, snow machine, tiller, power washer...

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 30, 2019

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Of course, but it's also a hell of a lot cheaper than, say, buying a truck.

Very true.

Bad Munki posted:

Or you could do it like me and forever float a couple cars, a truck, and a trailer between too few storage/parking spaces. Used to be able to park the truck and trailer on the slab next to the shop but then I made an annex out of that so I'd have a place to park the mower, sweeper, tractor trailer, snow blower, snow machine, tiller, power washer...

Farming Simulator 2019, eh?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah that does come up from time to time, but it's not the same. The hassle of having to hook it up, figure out parking, narrow UK streets, all that kind of business. Not quite the same as just getting in the vehicle and going.

As someone who went from a truck to a 2 door Jeep, that is the one thing I miss. I have an 8'x4' trailer ($250 harbor freight trailer) and hook it up to my Jeep when I need to go get poo poo that doesn't fit. But even the extra 10 minutes to hook it up and drive around with it sucks compared to a truck.

I currently need to pick up some 2x6s but the thought of driving home, hooking up the trailer, driving to the store, strapping them down, and then unhooking the trailer is too much :effort: . A quick swing by the store on the way home from work and chucking them in the back of a truck is so much easier.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do your tooly/woody stores or whatever they call them over there not rent trucks?

I've been considering a trailer for some time, but both Home Depot and Lowes rent a pickup truck or a box van for $25 for 90 minutes. Plenty of time to drive home with crap, and I've even used it to buy furniture from classified ads. I'd be into a trailer for at least $700, which would pay for years of truck rentals.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

B-Nasty posted:

Do your tooly/woody stores or whatever they call them over there not rent trucks?

I've been considering a trailer for some time, but both Home Depot and Lowes rent a pickup truck or a box van for $25 for 90 minutes. Plenty of time to drive home with crap, and I've even used it to buy furniture from classified ads. I'd be into a trailer for at least $700, which would pay for years of truck rentals.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. Not much room to park a trailer, so I go snag a Uhaul utility trailer for $18 the 4-5 times a year I need one. It’s inconvenient, but maybe that’s a good thing to curb big tool spending/saving my marriage.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

short term rental trucks have all kinds of uses. and at very reasonable prices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLpuq0jyiCE

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

B-Nasty posted:

They do, and financially it's a good call, but as I've found with hire car schemes in the past they seem like they'd fill the gap easily but often don't.

Like, yeah if I'm going to a specific DIY warehouse and the van isn't rented then I can pay extra and deal with refuelling it and etc

But now I have to call ahead and maybe it's gone when I get there, it's another complication that gets in the way of the aforementioned freedom to get things done on a whim.

And of course are no use if I want to go to the other DIY warehouse, or to the actual timber merchant.

I'm not saying these are insurmountable problems, but it's like needing a new screwdriver and not having a car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've seen a guy rent the B&Q van and drive away without buying anything so I like to think he went to the other three builders merchants nearby in turn.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I wish I took a picture with my slabs hanging out the back of my explorer yesterday.. the leather is there so the wood doesnt get hurt right??

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Then there's the most expensive piece of maple ever... 8/4 hard maple, probably 6" wide, and about 1/2" too long to fit in my Forester sitting on the dashboard and going all the way to the back hatch. The Safelite guy was sort of amused that it was broken on the inside.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I wish I took a picture with my slabs hanging out the back of my explorer yesterday..??

Dude, the plumbers thread is --> that way.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

cakesmith handyman posted:

I've seen a guy rent the B&Q van and drive away without buying anything so I like to think he went to the other three builders merchants nearby in turn.

Bunnings will lend you a trailer even if you buy like a $2 pot plant.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hello,

Sorry to start a war but should I subscribe to the Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee battery system for my home tools?

Needing at minimum:

Drill Driver
Impact Driver
Circular Saw
Angle Grinder
Sander
Leaf Blower
Hedge Trimmer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm a de facto dewalt guy for cordless but if I were doing it over I'd go with Makita. My favorite corded tools are all Makita, and they're one of the last few self-owned brands in existence.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What's your favorite color?

I have a few Makita tools and have been happy with all of them though, for what that's worth. My Dewalt drill was solid but the batteries eventually ran down. Haven't tried other tool ecosystems.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I love my Dewalt stuff but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those 3 brands.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I bought and used my first step drill and where has this been all my life

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'll reply with my usual.
Makita LXT is what I've got for 18V. Milwaukee M12.
If I was starting over, I might go Milwaukee for everything, but it's hard to go wrong with Makita or Milwaukee. DeWalt isn't my favorite, but they seem decent, and at least when they switch battery types, they made an adapter. I'm not a fan of Rigid. Lifetime warranty sounds great, but they can ask you to send back all your tools, batteries, and chargers for "eval". Usually, they don't, but if they do, I hope you've got a complete backup or can live without them for a month or longer. Ryobi is homeowner-grade, but dirt cheap and a huuuuge selection. Skip any house-brand (Kobalt, Craftsman, anything HF), and don't buy into the dying offshored US names (Porter cable, I'm looking at you).

I've got more now.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Got some of em STLs for those hangers?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm Makita for my 18V stuff and though admittedly just through light DIY homeowner projects I've been impressed. Yard stuff I went all in on Ego though and won't ever look back

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I've been very happy with my Milwaukee 12v, but I do occasionally wish I had gone for the 18v for certain tools. There is no 12v finish nailer, for example. The 12v circ saw however is a beast

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

deimos posted:

Got some of em STLs for those hangers?

They're all HDPE angle, 1/4" thickness. Most of it is 3x3x.25. that's a day of work, including the trip to the ER. Printing it would be a week.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Im probably gonna go Makita.

I trust Japanese brands very slightly more even if the parts are made in China... I'm pretty sure you cant go wrong with Milwaukee/Dewalt as those are classic American brands, but my guess is that Makita is better very slightly ergonomically and weight wise.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I would say before committing to a brand, go to a Home Depot (not Lowe's, because they don't carry Makita) and pick up several tools from the different brands to see how they feel. Myabe the Milwaukee is too heavy, or the trigger placement is weird for your hand, etc...

I have Makita, and overall I like them, but the one thing I find annoying is that on the drill and drivers, the LED light is both painfully weak, and in a bad location. Instead of being up around the chuck like I see on DeWalt and possibly other brand, it's right above the trigger, so you always have a giant shadow created by the chuck and bit over the spot you need to drill. I wish it was just a solid ring around the chuck. My friend's DeWalt is like that and it's so much better if you're drilling in a closet or not-very-well-lit basement/garage.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ntan1 posted:

Hello,

Sorry to start a war but should I subscribe to the Makita, Dewalt, or Milwaukee battery system for my home tools?

Needing at minimum:

Drill Driver
Impact Driver
Circular Saw
Angle Grinder
Sander
Leaf Blower
Hedge Trimmer

You didn't mention it but if you do any car/wrenching type stuff the milwaukee electric ratchets and impacts are pretty much the defacto time savers for mechanics and weekend warriors. But I think you'd be happy with any brand.

I bought into the milwaukee ecosystem this year and one downside is continuously spending money on new tools, I think this is what I bought this year:

M18 fuel impact driver
M18 fuel hammer drill
M18 hackzall (came with the drill/driver)
M18 fuel 7 1/4" circular saw
M18 string trimmer
M18 fuel 4 1/2" grinder
M18 compact vacuum

M12 fuel 3/8" stubby impact
M12 oscillating multi tool

I have several others on my "to buy" list if they go on sale

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

ntan1 posted:

Im probably gonna go Makita.

I trust Japanese brands very slightly more even if the parts are made in China... I'm pretty sure you cant go wrong with Milwaukee/Dewalt as those are classic American brands, but my guess is that Makita is better very slightly ergonomically and weight wise.

Milwaukee is owned by Techtronic out of Hong Kong, FYI. They also own Ryobi and manufacture stuff that gets rebadged as Ridgid. I think they've kept the quality up for the most part on the Milwaukee name (and some of their heavier industrial stuff like the really big sawzall's are still made domestically) but most of it is made in China/east Asia. DeWalt is mostly made in Mexico now, with a little bit of US production.

I'm very partial to dewalt drills/impact wrenches. Most of my stuff is corded, but Makita/Bosch/DeWalt are generally my go-to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tres Burritos posted:

I bought and used my first step drill and where has this been all my life

They're one of those things where even a cheap set is a fantastic step up. Unlike forstner bits :argh:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DrBouvenstein posted:

I would say before committing to a brand, go to a Home Depot (not Lowe's, because they don't carry Makita) and pick up several tools from the different brands to see how they feel. Myabe the Milwaukee is too heavy, or the trigger placement is weird for your hand, etc...

I have Makita, and overall I like them, but the one thing I find annoying is that on the drill and drivers, the LED light is both painfully weak, and in a bad location. Instead of being up around the chuck like I see on DeWalt and possibly other brand, it's right above the trigger, so you always have a giant shadow created by the chuck and bit over the spot you need to drill. I wish it was just a solid ring around the chuck. My friend's DeWalt is like that and it's so much better if you're drilling in a closet or not-very-well-lit basement/garage.

You still get this shadow with the DeWalt lights but your earlier advice is sound. I'm pretty specific to my grinders and there are a lot of options in size, balance and triggers

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Milwaukee has started moving the light to the battery mount on some tools, so there's a better chance of it getting on the work instead of the chuck.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have Makita, and overall I like them, but the one thing I find annoying is that on the drill and drivers, the LED light is both painfully weak, and in a bad location.

Also they stopped doing the drill/drivers with magazine-style batteries for the 10.8V line, so I went with Bosch.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also they stopped doing the drill/drivers with magazine-style batteries for the 10.8V line, so I went with Bosch.

What? Huh...isn't that, like, half the point of the 10-12V tools, is that they are a lot more compact?

I almost bought a $100 Bosch 12V drill+driver combo that was on sale at Amazon yesterday as a small set to keep in the coat closet while my larger 18V tools live in the garage and/or basement, but figured I don't NEED them and have more important things I need to buy to make my house not poo poo.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

Just chiming in with another endorsement for Makita LXT for 18v, and Bosch for 10.8/12v. I know some complain about Bosch’s chuck on the 12v drills, but I’ve never had a problem with mine (never tried their Flexiclick, but their brushless still/impact are nice).

Beyond the scope of the original request, but I like a lot of Makita’s 18x2 tools, too - their tracksaw is the bee’s knees.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dr. Habibi posted:

Beyond the scope of the original request, but I like a lot of Makita’s 18x2 tools, too - their tracksaw is the bee’s knees.
I forgot to mention that, but it's a great system. It's not as nice as FlexVolt, but meh DeWalt. Their chainsaw is really nice, and the tracksaw is amazing. I just don't own any 18x2 (yet).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

What? Huh...isn't that, like, half the point of the 10-12V tools, is that they are a lot more compact?

ikr

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

Hello,

Needing at minimum:

Drill Driver
Impact Driver
Circular Saw
Angle Grinder
Sander
Leaf Blower
Hedge Trimmer

Yes.

eta: There's nothing saying you *have* to stick to The One True System™ either. I have mostly Makita, but needed an electric weedwacker, so now I have a DeWalt battery and charger too. They're just next to each other, nbd.

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 3, 2019

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I like to buy bags from other tool brands and mix and match all my stuff

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I like to buy bags from other tool brands and mix and match all my stuff

I'm entirely bought into Makita.. toolbelts.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I keep all my Harbor Freight tools in Festool systainers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i started with ryobi 18v, sold off the not so great drill/driver and moved over to 12v and 18v milwaukee for my workhorse stuff. i kept the less often used ryobi tools since they worked well enough for occasional use.