Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you know i get his urge to blame anyone else for the economy but how in god's name does he think he's going to get the public to blame the federal reserve

even i only have a fuzzy idea of what, exactly, they do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, wasn't this Trump's intention, make the dollar dominant because he believes a strong dollar is good for the economy instead of being a harbinger to inflation?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
So Trump is trying to utilize the whistleblower in Federal protection as being too much fraud to come out in the open.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo, wasn't this Trump's intention, make the dollar dominant because he believes a strong dollar is good for the economy instead of being a harbinger to inflation?

I recall early on in the administration someone managed to give him the rough idea that a strong dollar generally correlates with trade deficits, and that's basically the only economic figure that he cares about.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I must say, I did not expect a "Just as planned" from the tweeter in chief.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Trump supporters very confused why strong dollar bad

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Love the constant stream of disappointing news about the right-centrist Barak Obama. It really helps see this world in shades of nothing but gray.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

nachos posted:

Trump supporters very confused why strong dollar bad

#MakeTheDollarWeakAgain

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Lumpy posted:

#MakeTheDollarWeakAgain

Devaluing currency is occasionally a good idea, not being able to do it is one of the (many) reasons Greece ate poo poo so hard in the collapse.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ahahahahaha ofc it has an 11 year old vaping wistfully as the cover

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Grouchio posted:

Ahahahahaha ofc it has an 11 year old vaping wistfully as the cover

Mom, I wanna vape!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, Obama was secretly pro gamer? Good for him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

you know i get his urge to blame anyone else for the economy but how in god's name does he think he's going to get the public to blame the federal reserve

even i only have a fuzzy idea of what, exactly, they do

Federal reserve interest rates are the only wonky policy topic that Donald Trump sort of understands and it's hilarious.

Naturally, he wants to do the exact wrong thing with them, but he gets the gist of what they do.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, Obama was secretly pro gamer? Good for him.

How often did he have heated gaming moments?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Devaluing currency is occasionally a good idea, not being able to do it is one of the (many) reasons Greece ate poo poo so hard in the collapse.

basically, a currency being able to float against the currencies of other nations helps dampen boom/bust cycles and is a key element in your economy remaining stable by equalizing imports/exports

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179048439319072768

Trump: doesn’t know what is in the document he swore on

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
We go smoke Juul.

L
A
T
E
R
S

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

i am harry posted:

Love the constant stream of disappointing news about the right-centrist Barak Obama. It really helps see this world in shades of nothing but gray.

Hey, all that political capital isn't going to bank itself!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

I'm sure everyone here is aware:

Back when the huge tobacco settlements were happening, they were set up as an annuity to defray the healthcare costs of treating smokers. These states, instead of using that money properly, issued bonds with Wall Street on those annuities to get the money up front, which they promptly dumped into the general fund to fund more tax breaks for the rich. Fast forward to the last few years, vaping has taken off as a less harmful alternative to cigs. Due to how much this has cut into the tobacco tax revenue, the bonds are starting to fail. Corrupt officials at the FDA and in congress are now colluding with the tobacco companies to again corner the market and push everyone else out. Big tobacco wants their monopoly back on all nicotine delivery methods, the corrupt governments want their tax revenue back, and as usual, the only people who get hurt are regular working class people. Welcome to the USA.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Guze posted:

How often did he have heated gaming moments?

it’s ok because he’s allowed to say the gamer word

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean that doesnt surprise me, they did sorta same thing when the opiod stuff started kicking off because holder and friends loved pharmaceuticals.

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179048439319072768

Trump: doesn’t know what is in the document he swore on

as ghoul frum said. he is legit delusional. he genuinly thinks he is the most popular president either and all the bad stuff is because he used the wrong words or because of those catty bitches like schiff who lie about him because they are jealous. trump has the mindset of a rear end in a top hat highschool girl.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Trump honestly doesnt know what paraphrasing is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm sure everyone here is aware:

Back when the huge tobacco settlements were happening, they were set up as an annuity to defray the healthcare costs of treating smokers. These states, instead of using that money properly, issued bonds with Wall Street on those annuities to get the money up front, which they promptly dumped into the general fund to fund more tax breaks for the rich. Fast forward to the last few years, vaping has taken off as a less harmful alternative to cigs. Due to how much this has cut into the tobacco tax revenue, the bonds are starting to fail. Corrupt officials at the FDA and in congress are now colluding with the tobacco companies to again corner the market and push everyone else out. Big tobacco wants their monopoly back on all nicotine delivery methods, the corrupt governments want their tax revenue back, and as usual, the only people who get hurt are regular working class people. Welcome to the USA.

vaping is being used as a new way to hook kids on nicotine, undoing decades of anti-tobacco work, and this nonsense about it being a fledgling ~free market~ that must be protected from the evil tobacco companies and states is dangerous nonsense for idiots

nobody should "be aware" of this nonsense you're peddling, which while it has some accurate facts is entirely designed to be propaganda for the new nicotine companies (the worst offender, of course, is owned by a tobacco company)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 1, 2019

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
All you guys need to know is Trump is trying to pressure Powell to devalue the dollar because he believes it will boost the stock market by making our exports cheaper. This is sort of illegal but there isn’t a real international currency police with any teeth.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

That is uh...

Huh :thunk:

This is all about his loans and debts isn't it?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1179050809096638464

chuck grassley is not someone you want to lose if you're the white house

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

2nd part of previous tweet

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1179040138292105216

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1179050809096638464

chuck grassley is not someone you want to lose if you're the white house

Eh. Chuck will still old man yell at the whistleblower at a hearing.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Eh. Chuck will still old man yell at the whistleblower at a hearing.

not gonna be any hearings in the Senate with this whistleblower

well, maybe, possibly, Burr's intel committee, in a closed session. but even that seems unlikely

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

guess he wants to go down with the ship. if he were smart, he would resign, tell everything, than run for senate again or some poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

guess he wants to go down with the ship. if he were smart, he would resign, tell everything, than run for senate again or some poo poo.

he wants to run for senate in a deep red state, where going down loyally with the rest of the criminals is a bonus

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Bakari_Sellers/status/1179049818259431424?s=20

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Solkanar512 posted:

I have to say, I find this sort of commentary frustrating.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to find comfort in life. We all want relief from the stresses of our lovely jobs, our overpriced rent/childcare/healthcare and numerous ways that capitalism continuously fucks us over. That essay on burnout a while back talks about this. Then you mix in the stresses of dealing with your own chronic health issues or caring for the issues of your loved ones or the lovely combination of stagnant wages, rising rents and student debt and that's just all the normal, localized, day to day poo poo. Then you mix in all the poo poo from the President on top of that? Isn't comfort what we're all fighting for, isn't it the whole point?

Most people just want a break. Most people just want the madness to stop. Folks want to live their lives in peace. No poo poo they don't want conflict, no one wants conflict. That doesn't make you evil or selfish, it makes you human. The number of times I've had to sit down with someone suffering a panic attack over this poo poo has gone up dramatically in the past few years. We all have stories like these, where bank accounts went negative or medicine was hard to get or folks had to make hard choices about finding somewhere to live or not being able to have kids. I bolded a section above because you clearly understand that folks need help, but most of the people you're decrying as "white, moderate liberals" are like the vast majority of us, people who in some way need help.

Sure, gently caress the rich assholes on TV and in the newspapers that are actually holding us back. gently caress them hard and gently caress them often. But that's not most folks.

There is nothing wrong with comfort so long as it does not come at the expense of others.

You're right that people are stressed out. That they just want to work and get paid and be left alone. That the stress of having to work harder compounds over time as it becomes harder and harder to feed your family and have a decent life as we're crushed by all sides, primarily by capitalists, as they grab more and more money, leaving us less and less. Economic boom for them, economic bust for us. And we are currently in a time where the wealth disparity is worse than the gilded age, but after our great depression.

What you speak about is economic justice. The sad fact is that you're never going to get that until people start agitating for economic rights. That means at the very least, voting for the person who is going to alleviate your suffering, which means pushing left wing. Healthcare costs, childcare costs, student debt, minimum wage, dealing with right wing extremism, it's never going to get fixed by some neoliberal democrat, who's about where a 90's republican is now. They'll continue to manage the decline that we're in. They won't reform the parties into new coalitions. They'll stay the course because that requires leadership. For example, when Kamala Harris spoke about student debt, she spoke about it in a way that was a wink and a nod to her donors. Her plan was like Hillary's, say you're going to do something, but that something is so tiny, so measured in so many hoops you need to jump through, that maybe 10 to 20k people will get it. The coded language is "I'm going to do gently caress all and that's good for business, give me money". And this is less than what Clinton was going to do, who failed during the elections.

Now let's talk about other issues. War atrocities, racial justice, literal no-poo poo concentration camps, the opium crisis. The drone strikes are accelerating, but they began under Obama. The concentration camps are ramped up to a fever pitch now. But again, those started under Obama too. ICE was so awful under Obama that they just stopped recording violations of law and ethics. Cops shot African American children to death in the street and the outcry was muted, as always. Police as occupying force. And also the opium crisis continues to rage, killing roughly about a 9/11's worth of people in deaths every two and a half weeks.

And people yearn for Obama. Most charismatic president of our time, maybe all time. His weakness and appeasement policies for the republicans set the table for Trump. His unwillingness to mobilize people destroyed any change that he would ever get. His lack of prosecution of bankers, who started the 2007/2008 financial crisis. All of this poo poo. People yearn for him. Not because his policies were good. Often they were loving terrible. But moderates yearn for him because he reminds them of a time where they could pretend that politics didn't have stakes and that we could try to be friends with the republicans and we didn't see the Nazis marching through the streets and smashing the heads of protesters with their boots in place like Charlottesville and Portland.

The urge is to go back to sleep. To once again be lulled into complacency. To return to politics without stakes. But that was always a fiction, a dream. Those stakes continue to exist and will always exist. Your economic rights? Under attack. And they'll never cease being attacked. Maybe you get some economic justice, but it isn't extended to people poorer than you or a different race. And you say, "My life is hard, why should you criticize me? What right do you have?"

The answer is that what I'm trying to get across, in my own way, is that you are being picked apart. Slowly, ever so slowly picked apart. And that sucks. And the people you could ally with for a restoration of your traditional rights are under attack in a far more profound way right now. So say if you're African American and trans for instance, there is no going to sleep for them. Not ever. At least not in the political climate of the day. You worry about the stress of economics and wanting to return to comfort. They want what you want, but they're also terrified that they're going to get violently murdered because in the current political climate, that is the raw deal that's handed to them. That their existence is some sort of social crime that warrants being beaten to death. That they don't have labor rights in most states and go homeless. That many resort to survival sex and are often killed by the people who seek them out for sexual pleasure. Sex and death.

I talk about trans people as a for instance. This is not to say that your worries aren't valid. They are. White privilege isn't something that you constantly witness. It is the removal of those extra hurdles, obstacles that you will never see or experience unless you dig deep into the experience of people who most don't look at. Or if they look at it, the answer comes from their experience. That in an attempt to preserve their comfort, the answer is a tweak here, a small change there, anything to keep from causing social unrest. Or hell, maybe some social unrest, but not a lot of it please. I'm already stressed enough.

You want economic justice? Comfort? These people are your natural allies. They will push for economic rights with you. Probably not in a way that you're comfortable with because their idea of change is radically different than yours. And the white liberal tries to soothe them, lull them into complacency like they want to be lulled into complacency. "Hey buddy, it's okay, we'll go for change slowly, we work the courts, agitate for rights in the right way. And maybe in five or ten or twenty years, we'll get what we want, okay?" And it doesn't really click for most people that who you're telling that too? Horrible poo poo has been happening to them and could very well happen to them tomorrow. And five years and ten years and twenty years down the road. They want change now and are being told to wait for change that could happen T-Minus never.

What happens historically is that the white moderate uses these people's push to survive and as soon as they have gotten enough to return to comfort, those allies are abandoned. Some don't abandon their allies, but most do. Every political movement that returns enough people to a state of relative justice and comfort for some, not all, causes the extra help to vanish and all of those people who got used as political shock troops, the people who are more vulnerable? Again, abandoned. It happens like clockwork. And they're intensely vulnerable. Maybe they've gotten some rights, but they've bled for them in dark places that most will never see or understand. They had to face down political adversaries who will not target people like you, but will absolutely straight up loving murder them, or maybe beat them, jail them, harass them into homelessness, that sort of thing.

There is no sleep for them. The political consciousness of the white moderate is shallow because the stakes are far, far lower than those that they tend to ally with when things get truly bad. Not to say that they're low, but the odds of a white moderate being murdered by Nazis is basically nil outside of the occasional spree shooting. Not so for everyone else.

My problem with most folks is that they don't understand that we need revolutionary change. The time for tweaks and small changes is over. That was for a simpler time. Ten, twenty years ago? Yeah, maybe something like that would have worked. But our biggest existential threat at the moment is climate change and there is no small change, no tweak that's getting us away from that intact and surviving as a species in the long term. Next are probably Nazis. And you can't work with them, can't oppose them in nice, friendly ways. Debating them feeds them. Criticism fuels them. You need to find them and destroy their ability to communicate and organize. People do the hard work in the streets of opposing them as well, because when there is no anti-fascist presence, the fascists will mob up and begin hurting and killing people. Always. And anti-fascists tend to be the people who are the most vulnerable, where it's do or die if they let fascists feel safe to organize.

And if the Nazis win, you can be drat sure that they won't do a loving thing about climate change and your comfortable life will be over in the decades to come, if not sooner. That the current timeline for economic collapse of the undeveloped world happens around 2038 on the current model and going Mad Max is about 2067. Probably sooner to be honest. And poo poo is going to get a little worse every day. Fascism is an open grave, but we as a species have survived it before because it tends to pick winners and losers. The problem is that the current round of fascists don't believe in climate change. That's unrestrained capitalism. That's a mass grave. And we all go in it. And I have to convince people like you, yes you, to go and agitate to save yourselves from what is preventable.

So yeah, I've got a bone to pick. We don't need to go back to sleep. We need to wake up, gain political consciousness and enact revolutionary change. I'm old enough that I could very well see the death throes of my planet within my lifetime. It's happening now in fact, but I'm not there in the worst hit places. I don't see it and you have to look, really look, to see it unless you're in it. Because for the moment we're insulated from extreme weather events. That won't last forever and by the time it gets really bad, it could very well be too late. The system that so many rely on for comfort is going to murder them so some billionaires can have just a little more before everything they own becomes meaningless in a climate apocalypse.

Please go get involved so we don't all die. Join your local DSA, participate in some climate related civil disobedience. I know you're stressed, but it's only going to get worse until we do something about it.

https://www.dsausa.org/

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 1, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1179052207058149376?s=20

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pompeo, one of the most powerful people in the world: "They're trying to intimidate and bully me! :qq:"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TulliusCicero posted:

That is uh...

Huh :thunk:

This is all about his loans and debts isn't it?

I figure that's at least half of it, but he also has a rudimentary understanding that reducing fed rates makes economic numbers go up in the short term. This is (part of) why you generally raise rates in good times, to smooth out boom bust cycles and have more ammo when things get bad. Rates are currently still somewhat worryingly low because, you know, the Great Recession, and Donald wants them to be lower despite his own looming recession to make his numbers look better / maybe push the onset of the recession past November 2020.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Pompeo, one of the most powerful people in the world: "They're trying to intimidate and bully me! :qq:"

i mean the dude legit ascribes to insane religious bullshit which is all about how persecuted they are and how they want to world to end so they can see the unbelievers die. its not out of his wheelhouse to play victim.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Pretty sure Pompeo is in too deep now. Any emotion out of him right now is just the realization that any future career goals he wanted are hosed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

DO SOMETHING!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can see why all those Very Serious People were saying trump would welcome impeachment.