Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Faustian Bargain posted:

This map isn't even accurate. Washoe county in Nevada went blue.

They’re slowly laying the groundwork for 2020 when they’ll claim a record-breaking 53 states went entirely red!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

cr0y posted:

Which one was that?
That was the one from yesterday where the judge allowed the use of the "Castle Doctrine" defense even though it was the victim's apartment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

BigglesSWE posted:

LoL the judge will be pissed I’m sure.

Bets he gives her a reduced sentence that amounts to a slap on the wrist, or as close to it as the law allows?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

evilweasel posted:

vaping is being used as a new way to hook kids on nicotine, undoing decades of anti-tobacco work, and this nonsense about it being a fledgling ~free market~ that must be protected from the evil tobacco companies and states is dangerous nonsense for idiots

nobody should "be aware" of this nonsense you're peddling, which while it has some accurate facts is entirely designed to be propaganda for the new nicotine companies (the worst offender, of course, is owned by a tobacco company)

Some dude in another thread defending nicotine was saying it's not like philip morris international is influencing university's studies, so I looked it up and of course PMI created a billion dollar fund for research into how vaping helps people quit cigarettes

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thank goodness for that
:doink:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
A second ruling has hit the gamers

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1179054458644381697

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

I'm legit surprised, I figured that for sure a shitfaced cop walking into the wrong apartment and gunning down a black immigrant eating icecream was a sure bet to get acquitted. That entire story was so weird, like there were either a dozen layers of outright wild, insane incompetence and terrible judgement or she was actively planning on killing him

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What’s the absolute floor for Trump’s approval numbers? Like 30% or so? There’s always going to be a contingent that will be on board with Trump until the heat death of the universe, so I’m curious as to how large that group is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pants Donkey posted:

What’s the absolute floor for Trump’s approval numbers? Like 30% or so? There’s always going to be a contingent that will be on board with Trump until the heat death of the universe, so I’m curious as to how large that group is.

We've never seen him below about 37%, where he is right now.

That may or may not answer your question, since it's never dipped below that even during his worst moments but then who the hell knows.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

gently caress Ajit Pai

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

And all of the rest of us

I know it's gonna piss of Trump's 20-30yo terminally-online #gamers, but this sucks for everyone

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can’t wait to pay for the basic internet package, the blazing speed add on, the extreme gaming add on, and the streaming package add on

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

As long as he's delivering some wins, probably 30ish. If he stops winning against the libs, he can probably drop down quite a bit farther. Significantly: Trump's faction is big, but no outside of absolutely blood red districts, no one is winning elections purely off of trumpists. At some point the GOP needs to full in moderates or independents if they want a chance.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Guyger found guilty of murder. I'm actually shocked- I didn't think it would turn out like this after all the BS with the Castle Doctrine being allowed.

Major props to the DA, what an amazing job they must have done with the case.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FCC decision sucks but can't it be summarily reversed by the next board reorganization, or a law?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

It's not a blow to tech giants. It makes no loving difference to them. If anything, they can spin this as a "we're still fighting for you" marketing strategy to the people

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Midgetskydiver posted:

Guyger found guilty of murder.

Good, hope it holds up on appeal. What's the recommended sentence by the prosecution?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

moostaffa posted:

It's not a blow to tech giants. It makes no loving difference to them. If anything, they can spin this as a "we're still fighting for you" marketing strategy to the people

it can gently caress over netflix if people aren't gonna buy the Speed Plus internet package in order to stream HD.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

The FCC decision sucks but can't it be summarily reversed by the next board reorganization, or a law?

Pretty much. The court didn’t hold that net neutrality was prohibited, just that dismantling it was a properly reasoned exercise of the FCC’s authority

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It took Dubya crashing the economy, and being in foreverwars for 8 years with no end in sight to hit 25%.

Trump realistically has a floor in the low 30s, but he's never quite hit that.

Interesting aside: in the modern history of polling, no one who's hit 35% in their first term has gotten re-elected. You can have a bad period, but that seems to be the "you done hosed up" threshold.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Can’t wait to pay for the basic internet package, the blazing speed add on, the extreme gaming add on, and the streaming package add on

Hey I found a guy who has never paid for internet before

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

One concern is that once the major service providers and telecoms come to their post-neutrality arrangement, Facebook and Google won't want to reshape the landscape again and will be disinclined to lobby for legislative neutrality or write briefs for regulatory neutrality.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As long as he's delivering some wins, probably 30ish. If he stops winning against the libs, he can probably drop down quite a bit farther. Significantly: Trump's faction is big, but no outside of absolutely blood red districts, no one is winning elections purely off of trumpists. At some point the GOP needs to full in moderates or independents if they want a chance.

But the catch 22 is they can’t. Their rabid base beliefs and stances have become so awful is toxic to everyone who isn’t part of it and if the GOP softens anywhere slightly to try to appeal to anyone else they risk getting voted out to be replaced by some idiot true believer who will spend all their political clout trying to find the secret basement at Comet Ping Pong

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

At some point the GOP needs to full in moderates or independents if they want a chance.

Why do that when voter suppression works almost as well but actually rallies the base? Elections in America are about turnout- not creating voting coalitions.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
He's dropped 1.6% aggregate according to 538 since the day before the impeachment announcement last week - 43.1 to 41.5 approval. Disapproval is holding pretty steady.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

Probably like 30% is right, yeah. Maybe 25%?

Jim Traficant, my former Congressman and the man most recently expelled from Congress, and who was a proto-Trump figure was still able to gain 15% of the the vote after being expelled from Congress and going to Federal prison. And than when he was released like a decade or so later, AGAIN he was able to get 15% of the vote. So when you're a crooked, blustering, pseudo-populist moron, a certain segment of your supporters will support you no matter what.

Which, this actually made me think that if by some miracle Trump is removed from office before the election, he will 100% split the GOP vote because I imagine his supporters will absolutely mount a write-in campaign for him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179064449879232513?s=19

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it can gently caress over netflix if people aren't gonna buy the Speed Plus internet package in order to stream HD.

It's gone from being an existential threat to Netflix, YouTube, and others to being a competitive advantage. I don't recall which org let the mask slip on that to investors in the last couple years.

They're entrenched enough to push back against the worst of potential abuses, and rich enough to pay the small extra costs. In exchange, this protects them from the wouldbe facebooks to their myspaces.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How much time will ISPs wait before really exploiting the death of net neutrality is the real question. Gotta give people time to forget, then quietly test the waters.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

haveblue posted:

The providers that this affects are going to immediately start working as if net neutrality is no longer an issue and they're going to have a ton of inertia on their side once we're in a position to regulate again. It's not impossible to fix, but this is a major blow and it's going to be loving hard to reverse this decision. It's a Very Bad Thing.

edit-

Pants Donkey posted:

How much time will ISPs wait before really exploiting the death of net neutrality is the real question. Gotta give people time to forget, then quietly test the waters.

They're not going to wait. They've got the ball and they're going to run like hell with it so that they can claim future legislation is directly affecting currently established practices.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

You think they'd maybe learn to not schedule these on a Tuesday.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Pompeo is already indicating he won't allow subpoenaed DoS officials to testify this week, says it is not "feasible". The House should hold him and anyone who doesn't testify in contempt as soon as they hold the first hearing. House Democrats need to force the issue and not allow the same stonewalling tactics they allowed with the Mueller investigation.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Francois Hollande's approval was at 4% near the end of his presidency. If Trump was trying his hardest to get that low I still don't think he could do it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Brony Car posted:

It sounds like he's tweeting about this article?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/trumps-approval-rating-drops-to-new-low-but-most-still-oppose-impeachment-cnbc-survey-finds.html

I don't know what to make of the findings, but I'm almost always flabbergasted by any poll where a majority of people don't want Trump (if not the entire GOP) out.

The GOP somehow won this image as being economy maestros. I think it has a lot to do with Reagan lucking out and getting the delayed benefits of Carter's interest rate hike. It made it look like Reagan fixed stagflation.

It's a CNBC poll dude. It's a bunch of ultra capitalist wonks, day traders, venture capitalists, and boomers looking at their 401ks go up.

That's the group that publishes those "oh man making only 500,000 a year, Bernie's taxes will destroy my 3 vacations to Europe a year!" Sob story articles

Trump could quite literally personally light the atmosphere on fire, and as long as he continued no regulation policies and made numbers get big they wouldn't give a poo poo

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 1, 2019

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

They're not going to wait. They've got the ball and they're going to run like hell with it so that they can claim future legislation is directly affecting currently established practices.

they won't even be done with appeals and tying this up until next year, they'd be stupid to radically change practices in a way that will be hugely unpopular while simultaneously risking almost immediately losing their right to do this when a democrat gets elected

quote:

But the ruling still appeared to offer a lifeline to net neutrality supporters: It overruled an effort by the FCC to block states from adopting open-internet protections of their own, a move that could spur states such as California to act.

also quick state legislative fixes can make this go away in the most populated areas of the country

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
It's 12:15, did Wohl and Burkman show up or did they run away again?

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Nail Rat posted:

Good, hope it holds up on appeal. What's the recommended sentence by the prosecution?

Since it's first degree, she's probably looking at 25-life.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I would like to take this opportunity to state my undying love for Suddenlink, Verizon, and Comcast for their infinite generosity and benevolence in allowing me to continue posting here now that the perfidious communist 'net neutrality' doctrine has been unmade.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

pacerhimself posted:

You think they'd maybe learn to not schedule these on a Tuesday.

Honestly at this point it's possible everything Burkman and Wohl do is some sort of surreal performance art and the garbage truck interruption is a feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Herewaard posted:

Francois Hollande's approval was at 4% near the end of his presidency. If Trump was trying his hardest to get that low I still don't think he could do it

Nixon was still around 20% when he left. Presidents don't get that low