Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I caught up to the manga from where the anime left off this weekend and it's pretty good except around halfway through the swordsman arc where it became obvious that the series was being pushed on fast forward. Two of the upper blood moons at the same time? OK I guess. and then the next thing that happens fight-wise is Muzan goes up and starts what seems to be the final battle? I need more Inosuke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Yeah, the manga has always felt quite fast-paced, but never in a really bad way. It's accelerated recently though, and I don't think anyone here likes how it's done so. (Correct me if I'm wrong please)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pacing's fine imo

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think it's been fine? I don't think there was anything to gain from wasting time on demons that weren't the Upper Moons once the story had reached the point of confronting them.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think you can look at Genya to really see how much the pacing is staggering around. I feel like that character was supposed to be the next person in The Crew but instead he's just kind of roped along to having these big finale moments. All the stuff that could've more steadily unfurled about him is being shouted at us from someone passing by in a car.

Plus the power-ups for everyone are just coming hand over fist without being all that well explained, but I've complained about that one more extensively already.

The prettyboy upper moon also I think really got weakened. I feel like that dude should've been a whole arc with the characters having to navigate his hosed up cult instead of his hosed up cult being something we're being directly told about. There's been a lot of telling and a lot less showing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like the fast pace, but I do feel like some things could've worked much better by taking it just a smidgen slower. Like the anime made me like those few moments where Boss Inosuke, Tanjirou and Zenitsu just gently caress around during downtime/recovery or what-have-you all the better because it feels like they have that same energy of the Duwang Gang/the Nichibros and they'd be hella tight Demon-Slaying brahs just shooting the poo poo and like yeah, I want Tanjirou to accomplish his goals but I also kinda want him to hang with his found family of goofballs a bit more, y'know?

e: Slight grammar goof-up. :cheeky:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 1, 2019

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It feels like they got the "wrap it up" signal and then the anime blew up. I imagine editorial is kicking themselves in the rear end a bit over that now.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i think a big thing would have just been to keep each arc to one Upper Moon at a time, and spread out the arcs of the Pillars as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Patware posted:

I think you can look at Genya to really see how much the pacing is staggering around. I feel like that character was supposed to be the next person in The Crew but instead he's just kind of roped along to having these big finale moments. All the stuff that could've more steadily unfurled about him is being shouted at us from someone passing by in a car.

I don't get this at all. genya was established early, we got to know him in the swordsmith arc, and then he became tanjirou's friend during the training arc that followed. there's nothing missing from genya's story

zenitsu's is more abrupt and poorly executed than genya's

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wark Say posted:

I like the fast pace, but I do feel like some things could've worked much better by taking it just a smidgen slower. Like the anime made me like those few moments where Boss Inosuke, Tanjirou and Zenitsu just gently caress around during downtime/recovery or what-have-you all the better because it feels like they have that same energy of the Duwang Gang/the Nichibros and they'd be hella tight Demon-Slaying brahs just shooting the poo poo and like yeah, I want Tanjirou to accomplish his goals but I also kinda want him to hang with his found family or goofballs a bit more, y'know?
The fans will demand a slice of life gaiden set in-between arcs with our bros and hashiras balling while they slay the occasional lesser demon.
Fans like me. :v:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

From a shounen perspective yes it makes sense to have each upper moon make up an arc but it doesn't really make sense from a story perspective. Why would muzan show himself to be the final boss if all his strongest demons are dead? The humans had to be genre savvy enough to catch him by complete surprise, to make him think that it was the series middle arc and not the final one :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I got the impression that the series was doing fairly well in both sales and the WSJ ranking polls, though? Like One Piece is never going to move from #1 in the foreseeable future because even if you're super optimistic about Dragon Ball's sales after its revival in the 2010's, Oda's opus has it beat for at least 150 million copies (and not even gonna mention the rock-gently caress insane amount of merchandise that Shueisha has kept moving thanks to them Straw Hats and co.), but I thought that MHA, KNY, Dr. Stone and Promised Neverland were pretty much the actual interesting competitors throughout 2017 and 2018 on said polls?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fabricated posted:

It feels like they got the "wrap it up" signal and then the anime blew up. I imagine editorial is kicking themselves in the rear end a bit over that now.

That doesn't make sense though, since as far as I'm aware the manga has been doing extremely well for quite a while.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

they should have left the lower 12 alive so our plucky trio could get more solo fights

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Oh Snapple! posted:

That doesn't make sense though, since as far as I'm aware the manga has been doing extremely well for quite a while.
IIRC it was doing about half, bit over half of Black Clover's numbers for a long time. That is obviously no longer the case, but Jump has had series go to wrapup mode for doing better than that.

Zenitsu's opposite number has shown up like...twice? In a flashback, then when he gets killed. Zenitsu gets a letter he never explains during the training arc preceding the final battle which is probably how his teacher had to kill himself over his student becoming a demon. Douma literally pauses his fight and pokes his brain to loredump Inosuke's backstory. It really feels like an editor influence thing or a "Wrap it up" thing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

The prettyboy upper moon also I think really got weakened. I feel like that dude should've been a whole arc with the characters having to navigate his hosed up cult instead of his hosed up cult being something we're being directly told about. There's been a lot of telling and a lot less showing.

We learned about Douma's cult when he first appeared. Though I do agree he could probably have had his own arc.

However I would not say he was weakened, in terms of Raw Power I would say he was the strongest of the Upper Moons. His Ice powers were stupidly devastating, and the fact that he could create copies of himself with the same powers was even more impressive. He died cause he unknowingly ate a ton of poison.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Douma died because he was arrogant.

All Upper Moons died because they couldn't escape their human nature.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The power levels for the upper moons actually kinda feels pretty logical. Akaza was 3rd and it took the MC and one of the better Pillars to barely beat him, Douma was 2nd and two non-pillars barely cut his head off after he eats literal pounds of deadly poison on accident and kills a pillar, Kokushibou gasses out fighting the two strongest pillars (both of which he fucks up fairly bad) and kills another pillar that had previously soloed upper moon 5 and a non-pillar who was hopped up on demon flesh.

Gyuutarou only did as much damage as he did and took as much effort as he did because no one was marked at the time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

The power levels for the upper moons actually kinda feels pretty logical. Akaza was 3rd and it took the MC and one of the better Pillars to barely beat him, Douma was 2nd and two non-pillars barely cut his head off after he eats literal pounds of deadly poison on accident and kills a pillar, Kokushibou gasses out fighting the two strongest pillars (both of which he fucks up fairly bad) and kills another pillar that had previously soloed upper moon 5 and a non-pillar who was hopped up on demon flesh.

Gyuutarou only did as much damage as he did and took as much effort as he did because no one was marked at the time.

Kanao was also stated as being stronger than Shinobu was so she was piller level.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I also get the impression that, fancy Demon Blood Arts aside, Kokushibou is probably somewhere not too far from Muzan in raw strength.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kanao was also stated as being stronger than Shinobu was so she was piller level.
Well, Pillar in terms of title. Giyuu acknowledges that Tanjirou has reached pillar-level strength during the Akaza fight and the rest of the kids are probably about at that level as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

I also get the impression that, fancy Demon Blood Arts aside, Kokushibou is probably somewhere not too far from Muzan in raw strength.

I would say Douma was more impressive to me in terms of Raw Power. Kokushibou was much more impressive skill wise however, which made it much harder to actually hit him.

Hantengu had a similar level of raw strength to Kokushibou, and was for sure stronger than Akaza in that respect, even if Akaza was more dangerous due to how his power worked.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

God I loved the Akaza fight and resolution so much.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Akaza's backstory was the most gut-wrenching to me since the spider guy. The other ones didn't have quite as much impact on me as far as tragedy goes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The way the demons(except Douma) are twisted versions of their human selves is really well done.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

And that's why Douma's the best

Bored not giving a drat, died not giving a drat, rip the realest one

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rody One Half posted:

And that's why Douma's the best

Bored not giving a drat, died not giving a drat, rip the realest one

It was funny how he was all like "Hey, if Akaza could surpass his limits then I could too!" and then when he failed right away he was like "Oh well I guess I'll die."

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Even at the end Douma was like "oh I died. That's a thing I guess- oh hey Shinobu what's up"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It was funny how he was all like "Hey, if Akaza could surpass his limits then I could too!" and then when he failed right away he was like "Oh well I guess I'll die."

Yeah he was just like. Nope way too much poison affecting me, no way can I get back up. Oh well.

mabels big day posted:

Akaza's backstory was the most gut-wrenching to me since the spider guy. The other ones didn't have quite as much impact on me as far as tragedy goes.

Well Akaza and Daki were the only members of the Upper Moons that actually had tragedy in their backstory.

Kokushibo was a envious of his brother and too arrogant to believe that anyone that came after him would be special. Douma was a sociopath with no true emotion. Hantengu was a selfish cowardly rear end in a top hat. Like from what we saw, there was little difference between Douma and Hantengu's human and demon selves.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
We still have the upper moon that's warping stuff around via stringed instrument who is fighting snake and love pillars, as well.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Fight's a bit of a strong word

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
177 is out. Anyone else see a 7 deadly sins theme with the Upper 6 moons? Muzan is Pride, #1 is Envy, Akaza is Wrath, Hantengu is Sloth. I guess Gyokko would be Gluttony, Doma Lust, and that leaves Daki and Gyutaro as Greed? It kinda works? Their replacements(Biwa lady for Hantengu, Zenitsu's partner for Daki/Gyutaro) work with the theme too.

EDIT: Maybe Gyokko would work better as Pride, which leaves Muzan as Gluttony.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 5, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
71-79 also have official translations now, I believe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
really good chapter

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1003815

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Poor boy
Could see all disease except his brothers brainworms

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

that realization over why he was always clinging to his mom really got me :smith:

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Given his disposition and ability, he would have made a really good doctor

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Anime only guy here, but I couldn't wait so I started reading the manga and just finished the train arc.

The movie is going to be delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm going to miss it when it ends

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1005633