Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/marketing/discounts

quote:

Discounting Rules

You can run a launch discount, but once your launch discount ends, you cannot run any other discounts for 2 months.

It is not possible to discount your product for 30 days following a price increase.

Discounts cannot be run within 6 weeks of your prior discount, with the exception of Steam-wide seasonal events or other specific Valve-organized sale events.

Discounts for seasonal sale events cannot be run within 30 days of releasing your title or 30 days from when your launch discount ends.

You may not change your price while a promotion is live.

It is not possible to discount a product 100%.

Custom discounts cannot last longer than two weeks, or run for shorter than 1 day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Elephant Parade posted:

The 41% thing is ambiguous (deliberately so, if it's intentional). I don't think it's possible to come to a conclusion on it one way or the other, given that it's plausible that it was an accident and plausible it was done on purpose. I think it's worth mentioning, but the focus should be one what can be confirmed.

she's the lead dev's girlfriend

Whether or not it was done explicitly on purpose might be debatable, but the fact that it is clearly resonating with and inspiring people who are posting things like this (spoilered because it's pretty gross):

quote:

They put this title on sale for a MENTALLY ILL price.
The whole "she"-bang for 41% OFF.
Based on that fact alone, they're sure to make a KILLING.
Those involved may hate me for my feminine ♥♥♥♥♥, but I love THEM for making such an amazing game.

seems like it kinda takes the wind out of the "it was just an accident" sails a little bit even if it was just an accident. Like even if you squint hard enough to say "Wellll maybe it wasn't intentional" I don't know how you square something that causes stuff like this.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Oct 1, 2019

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

Whether or not it was done explicitly on purpose might be debatable, but the fact that it is clearly resonating with and inspiring people who are posting things like this (spoilered because it's pretty gross):
Yeah, I can't blame anyone for reacting strongly to the 41% discount, given that it's either an incredibly hateful thing to do or an improbable accident in the midst of a bunch of other hateful things being done. Focusing on it isn't the best idea, but calling out other people for talking about it is just ridiculous—now isn't the time to get into arguments about the dangers of unclear evidence or whatever.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

seems like it kinda takes the wind out of the "it was just an accident" sails a little bit even if it was just an accident. Like even if you squint hard enough to say "Wellll maybe it wasn't intentional" I don't know how you square something that causes stuff like this.

It’s about proving to everyone that you have the biggest brain

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Beet Wagon posted:

Even if 41% is a meme in some alt-right circles, I am certain the vast majority of those reviews came because of the resetera thread, which highlighted the number further.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ymgve posted:

Even if 41% is a meme in some alt-right circles, I am certain the vast majority of those reviews came because of the resetera thread, which highlighted the number further.

I don't buy it. a picture of smug pepe holding up the 41% suicide statistics thing has been a 'meme' on alt right twitter and chan boards for months. Which I think are absolutely where those people are coming from, they didn't decide to make fun of it because resetera pointed it out.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

The argument that those people are using is that the 41%/42% discount is a product of the 10% discount Steam applies to bundles on top of the existing 35% discount being applied to the game and soundtrack. It's true: they didn't manually set a 41% discount. But given how much the devs seem to hate trans people, it's entirely possible that they did the math and chose a 35% discount so that the package discount would add up to 41%. Not certain, but plausible.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it comes up a lot in the video games thread in coupons, that in walmart's system prices ending in .88 is a stock keeping code for stuff that's being liquidated, so pretty frequently you'll see games on sale for $14.88. its just a coincidence but alarm bells go off every time and there's a bunch of posts like "the gently caress is this". and imo rightly so

this aint the courts lmao, people aren't innocent until proven guilty. if you see something kinda dog whistley its safe to assume that its probably is until you can figure out if its a coincidence or not, because people are routinely trying to sneak hateful bullshit into public discourse. and because our future is loving stupid that means side eyeing people that use conspicuous hand gestures, clown emojis, weird punctuation, or Funny Numbers

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
For what it's worth on my Canadian steam, the game shows as 35% off on the Steam front page and the bundle on the store page shows as 42% off with the additional 10% discount. Not meaning to defend them but if it helps anyone's mental health to not have to live in a world where someone is using Steam discounts as a transphobic dogwhistle, the chances of it being an accident seem good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aisu posted:

Would the dev's two page long transphobic screed change your mind?

https://twitter.com/octog4y/status/1177084969270644736

Honestly whether the 41% thing is right or not, what's the point in arguing about it when you've got a smoking gun right here? It amounts to the same thing, the devs are poo poo don't support them. Done.

Why people keep going on trying to disprove the discount when it makes no difference whatsoever is beyond me.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

homeless snail posted:

this aint the courts lmao, people aren't innocent until proven guilty. if you see something kinda dog whistley its safe to assume that its probably is until you can figure out if its a coincidence or not, because people are routinely trying to sneak hateful bullshit into public discourse. and because our future is loving stupid that means side eyeing people that use conspicuous hand gestures, clown emojis, weird punctuation, or Funny Numbers

This is correct.

Regy Rusty posted:

Honestly whether the 41% thing is right or not, what's the point in arguing about it when you've got a smoking gun right here? It amounts to the same thing, the devs are poo poo don't support them. Done.

Why people keep going on trying to disprove the discount when it makes no difference whatsoever is beyond me.

This too.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Is the game good?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and i'm an expert, i had a big av of yui from k-on in a SS uniform for years

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Putty posted:

Is the game good?

It looks like some RPG Maker trash with 50 reviews on Steam before this whole thing went down, which is the darkest part of all.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

It looks like some RPG Maker trash with 50 reviews on Steam before this whole thing went down, which is the darkest part of all.
this is not, in fact, the case. it was a modest success, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of its reviews and publicity came from before the recent incident

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

homeless snail posted:

and i'm an expert, i had a big av of yui from k-on in a SS uniform for years

Classic av

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
This is the curse for disobeying the Goose Gods.

Honktober: Goosebumps lives!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Elephant Parade posted:

this is not, in fact, the case. it was a modest success, and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of its reviews and publicity came from before the recent incident

Did you like bankroll the game or something? Jesus Christ dude.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Propaganda Hour posted:

I mean the general consensus was that Heartbeat was a good game until all this transphobic poo poo started popping up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

hey...check out this cat

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Help Im Alive posted:

hey...check out this cat

You can't lie to me that is in fact a Yoshi

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

exquisite tea posted:

That's not good. My favorite RPG is LISA The Painful.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Propaganda Hour posted:

no, I was replying to someone claiming that the callouts led to some kind of transformative success, because I don't think we need to add Extra Woe to this already depressing situation

exquisite tea posted:

Elephant Parade fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 1, 2019

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yoshi takes a huge poo poo on transphobic game devs.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I'm looking forward to trying Overland this week.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have nothing productive to contribute to this topic of discussion but in lieu of that i don't know whether i should feel validated that the game i've never heard of before this and am entirely uninterested in is lovely so i have no reason to be interested in it or annoyed that this game that i would have never heard of at all now occupies a space in my brain thanks to the poo poo the developers pulled. it's that dumbass yiik game all over again.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
yiik more like yuk!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1179103674611552256

So happy for the goose game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

goose should not be given this much power

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Honk Honk for Goose Game

risky business
Oct 9, 2012

Barns?
It's a lovely day on the bestseller's list, and you are a horrible goose.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Unrivaled Goose Game

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ymgve posted:

*runs into thread panting*

Now let me tell you why it's important we give these transphobes the benefit of the doubt.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Rarity posted:

Now let me tell you why it's important we give these transphobes the benefit of the doubt.

you know chuds watch ResetEra like a hawk

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I played a bunch of Cytus II on the plane yesterday, and that is a good game. I recommend turning the cymbal effect off though. Ruins your rhythm.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rarity posted:

If you cannot prove beyond a reasonable doubt that these tranphobes are being transphobic then I'm not sure why I should care about others

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 1, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shadow Hearts is awesome. But it does seem like a pretty restrictive RPG in terms of team building. Which I'm fine with since the setting and aesthetic is so unique and I'm in it for any JRPG with timing-based battles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AngelesXO posted:

Good month, gonna get John Wick, Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds

Looking forward to playing Outer Worlds day one on PC Game Pass.

Still disappointed that Outer Wilds isn't on it when it has been on the Xbox pass...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Here is my tentative GotY 2019 list, as of October 1st, 2019:

1. Resident E4il 4 (Switch)
2. Slay the Spire
3. Fire Emblem: Three Hous3s
4. Resid2nt Evil 2
5. Sunless Skies

Supposed GotY-Contenders That I Have Yet To Play

Sekiro: Sha2ows Die Twice
Katana Zer0
The game with the goose
A bunch of other games that I can't remember right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the last several pages have demonstrated pretty well why dogwhistles are such an insidious problem, but i believe in you all and your ability to tell transphobes to go gently caress themselves