Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Nail Rat posted:

In that case wrap it up because what other incentive does Pompeo have to come, or to send any of the people under his umbrella whom have been subpoenaed?

Hideously punishing daily fines, is what I've read. Like, no upper limit because they're designed to compel people with a lot of money to do what they're told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Are you really going to sit there and make the argument that civil war is, in fact, likely because Donald Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million to an incredibly unpopular Democratic candidate?

Voting is a popularity contest, war is not. If you have a small heavily armed faction cycling itself up to commit domestic violence, then it really doesn't matter that they lost the last round of elections.

A big flaming stink posted:

hey pj

the person this comment is responding to is currently catastrophizing to a shockingly unhealthy degree.

this poo poo is the exact opposite of helpful in this situation

I responded to a post that directly quoted me.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Being "pragmatic" in this situation requires powers of prognostication the majority of congress have indicated they absolutely do not possess. There is no pragmatic course forward here. Like with climate change, that ship has sailed - there is only defeat, or a radical and uncertain but necessary action.

The instant Pelosi opened an impeachment inquiry, this turned into a hill that the Democratic party and the American Republic will live or die on. A precedent needs to be set that this poo poo will not be tolerated.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Prester Jane posted:

I trust Democratic leadership to be pragmatic and make the right call here. If Congress completely committing itself to a course of action would potentially isolate moderate conservative voters- then it's not a course of action Congress should take.

Agreed, and if you think about it, Speaker Pelosi's recent decision to pursue impeachment against President Trump was really quite the strategic misfire. Alienating the rational center by making them uncomfortable is certain to send reverberations through the decorous core of American politics, and I don't think she can predict the damage it could potentially do to the American political landscape.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- sue to get them all held in normal civil contempt in normal court, leading to either escalating fines, indefinite imprisonment until they comply, or both
- whack them all with inherent contempt fines that are then upheld in normal court

congress is not, in fact, out of options if they don't want to have House security / the Capitol Police throw Donald Trump's entire cabinet in House Jail

Pretty much this. If it gets to the point wherein various security forces are battling it out in DC, we've already lost any hope at any reasonably peaceful transition of power/resolution to the Trump presidency.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Voting is a popularity contest, war is not. If you have a small heavily armed faction cycling itself up to commit domestic violence, then it really doesn't matter that they lost the last round of elections.

It's a small faction full of cowards and old people that would poo poo themselves at the first hint of armed conflict--or do you not recall how many times they have disavowed right-wing violence as "false flag operations"?

You fear these people. Why?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- sue to get them all held in normal civil contempt in normal court, leading to either escalating fines, indefinite imprisonment until they comply, or both
- whack them all with inherent contempt fines that are then upheld in normal court

congress is not, in fact, out of options if they don't want to have House security / the Capitol Police throw Donald Trump's entire cabinet in House Jail

Who enforces those top two options?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dammerung posted:

That really is the big problem we're facing right now. Either Congress completely commits itself for a chance of potentially enforcing some sort of check, or they almost explicitly cannot do so.
The check will almost definitely not involve throwing cabinet members in the hoosegow.

Would it be an unprecedented constitutional crisis? Yeah, definitely. But when the legislative branch starts imprisoning the executive branch - even if it's for justifiable reasons - hoo boy, that's one hell of a line, there, and you can bet the executive branch will turn around and do the same. Trump's already threatening them with criminal charges.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Telsa Cola posted:

Everything must be a crisis because things are bad. Not that the president threatinging civil war isnt a crisis in a different way.

Also the police are military genius ubermensch and the comparatively small number in ever city will all band together and manage to take over the cities.

Its literally a prepper argument but the other way.

Police control the streets of the Cities they reside in by definition. They don't have to "band together" to do what they are explicitly designed to do-it-yourself be at domestic occupying force that protects the interests of capital.

The literal president of the United States is literally inside and politically connected and heavily armed militias to rise up and commit acts of violence.

This is a crisis.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Prester Jane posted:

This is exactly what people were saying about Trump supporters four years ago.

No it isn't.

"Trump narrowly won an election" is used far too much to explain why everybody who says something is unlikely might be wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This thread is arguing about whether to close the barn door, when the horse has already escaped, led a long life, and been turned into glue after thinking of a bee.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Trump would absolutely wage a civil war to keep himself in office and thus out of jail.

The question is whether anyone else would participate, or whether it would just be him yelling on twitter and a resulting rise in uncoordinated stochastic terrorism which sucks but does not a civil war make.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

Threatening the press with libel is such a weird thing to do because you have to prove that they are wrong in court, by presenting evidence of such, which is an issue if they are telling the truth.

they idea is to use it as a cudgel because if you're super rich you can sue them and outlast them. see thiel backing hogan's suit of gawker because he was mad valleywag outed him. even if that hadn't been successful thiel can last forever and gawker couldn't.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

almost like the founding fathers were dumb and instituted a system worse than the one they rebelled against.

I mean, they rebelled specifically so they could keep doing genocide and slavery. :shrug:

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's a small faction full of cowards and old people that would poo poo themselves at the first hint of armed conflict--or do you not recall how many times they have disavowed right-wing violence as "false flag operations"?

This is you shoving your head in the sand.

quote:

You fear these people. Why?

Because as a trans woman I'm near the top of the fascist list murder list.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Dammerung posted:

Agreed, and if you think about it, Speaker Pelosi's recent decision to pursue impeachment against President Trump was really quite the strategic misfire. Alienating the rational center by making them uncomfortable is certain to send reverberations through the decorous core of American politics, and I don't think she can predict the damage it could potentially do to the American political landscape.

Wasn't nearly everyone in this thread calling the Dems worthless for not pursuing impeachment before

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

The Sergeant At Arms is really a metaphor for the Capitol Police on the whole.

And the problem is this: If they don't put anyone in jail, then Congress loses the power to issue functional subpoenas against Republicans.

This is a nightmare scenario, and the Sergeant of Arms (through the capitol police) arrest people is literally the only alternative.

So what you're saying is: "The people in this thread think the House has oversight powers. They don't! No one does! The administration can do whatever it wants and literally no one will be able to stop them!"

So you might understand why people in this thread might not be all to into embracing the sentiment that "nothing matters", now, at what may be the most hopeful moment we've had in a long time.

I do apologize for bringing this up but this is one area in which the US is deeply flawed. The country generally hasn't had to deal with corruption at this scale. Nixon had administration people go against him. Trump's administration is much more loyal.

I do have hope that someone will come to their senses and flip, or get bitten by the decorum bug. The current scandals (phone calls and coverups) are a lot easier to work with than other things that have happened so far.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Also, Pompeo is not (currently) saying he straight up won't comply with subpoenas. He is delaying in a way that courts will, for the moment, probably be okay with, and which would frankly be entirely reasonable in a non-Trump administration acting in good faith. His argument is twofold: the requested turnaround / appearance dates are way too sudden and short for the State Department to get its ducks in a row and he needs more time (true), and some of the House's document and testimony requests were not properly formalized or sent through the proper channels (ehh close enough).

These are both arguments we can expect judges to look favorably upon in the short term, but they don't quash the subpoenas/requests or even delay them all that much.

Willo567 posted:

Wasn't nearly everyone in this thread calling the Dems worthless for not pursuing impeachment before

pj and dammerung are sarcasmposting

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

This is exactly what people were saying about Trump supporters four years ago.

And here I am having pitched block to block gun battles with the denizens of Texas.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TVs Ian posted:

Hideously punishing daily fines, is what I've read. Like, no upper limit because they're designed to compel people with a lot of money to do what they're told.

It has not yet been made clear to me the manner in which the House will enforce fines.

dwarf74 posted:

The check will almost definitely not involve throwing cabinet members in the hoosegow.

What other checks are there that don't ultimately amount to the same thing? Whatever is done will need to be enforced, and the Sergeant at Arms and Capitol Police are the only enforcement tools actually available to Congress so long as Trump has control of the executive branch.

quote:

Would it be an unprecedented constitutional crisis? Yeah, definitely. But when the legislative branch starts imprisoning the executive branch - even if it's for justifiable reasons - hoo boy, that's one hell of a line, there, and you can bet the executive branch will turn around and do the same. Trump's already threatening them with criminal charges.

Would what be an unprecedented constitutional crisis? Trump arresting the legislature?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

This is you shoving your head in the sand.

No, PJ, it's me acknowledging reality.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
People seem to not realize how old Trump supporters are. The people that would "fight" for Trump probably constitute, by his wildest dreams, 30% of the US population. Of those, maybe 10% of them don't have osteoporosis or a stent.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Trump's "base" are the only ones who would even possibly approve of a "civil war" over this, and only a small fraction of them would actually be able and willing to take up arms. Most of them are people who vote for cruel policies essentially because it makes them feel tough without actually having to do anything. They generally are "nice" people in public and shrink from any real confrontation.

So that's a fraction of his base, which are a fraction of the people who voted for him, which are less than 50% of the voting-age population.

Now, terrorists are pretty much always a fringe minority, so I'm not saying there's nothing at all to be worried about. But a "civil war" just doesn't seem possible.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Threatening the press with libel is such a weird thing to do because you have to prove that they are wrong in court, by presenting evidence of such, which is an issue if they are telling the truth.
There's a reason the panel is called "Re-examining Libel Laws".

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

We are all loving dead

Like I have the steady realization that things are coming to a point and most likely I, and everyone I know, will be dead in a year and a half and the country embroiled in a war that makes Syria look like a silly slapfight

I really don't know if I can handle this anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cool

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Prester Jane posted:

Police control the streets of the Cities they reside in by definition. They don't have to "band together" to do what they are explicitly designed to do-it-yourself be at domestic occupying force that protects the interests of capital.

The literal president of the United States is literally inside and politically connected and heavily armed militias to rise up and commit acts of violence.

This is a crisis.

Cop's are incredibly incompentent and undertrained to a hilarious extent. This is an incredibly common critique of the American police system. In the event of a mass civil war and uprising cops either not going to give a poo poo and gently caress off or get swamped by people.

Cops work by intimidation and selective use of applied force to keep people in line, the national guard or the actually army would be needed to lock down cities.

Anyways im done theorycrafting CW2.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 1, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

No it isn't.

"Trump narrowly won an election" is used far too much to explain why everybody who says something is unlikely might be wrong.

4 years ago all the serious people insisted that Trump was a joke candidate who would never garner serious support, let alone dominate the Republican primary or go on to win the general election. Further, if you really like, I can go into the gay marriage threat of 2015 and dig up posts where people were explicitly shiting on the idea that Fringe right-wing militias were a threat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

beejay posted:

I do apologize for bringing this up but this is one area in which the US is deeply flawed. The country generally hasn't had to deal with corruption at this scale. Nixon had administration people go against him. Trump's administration is much more loyal.

I do have hope that someone will come to their senses and flip, or get bitten by the decorum bug. The current scandals (phone calls and coverups) are a lot easier to work with than other things that have happened so far.
This is only because anyone in the inner circle who displays even a hint of independence or "disloyalty" gets immediately fired.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mdemone posted:

Who enforces those top two options?

So far the US Marshals et al have not been willing to just go "lol court orders mean nothing, hail Trump".

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Telsa Cola posted:

Cop's are incredibly incompentent and undertrained to a hilarious extent. This is an incredibly common critique of the American police system. In the event of a mass civil war and uprising cops either not going to give a poo poo and gently caress off or get swamped by people.

Cops work by intimidation and selective use of applied force to keep people in line, the national guard or the actually army would be needed to lock down cities.

Yeah I'm not sure what the argument is with cops. Are they going to be fighting other cops? Staging a coup? What happens when they leave the front lines at the end of their shift because they don't get overtime for doing it?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So far the US Marshals et al have not been willing to just go "lol court orders mean nothing, hail Trump".

On the other hand we are operating literal child death camps out in the desert.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xombie posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what the argument is with cops. Are they going to be fighting other cops? Staging a coup? What happens when they leave the front lines at the end of their shift because they don't get overtime for doing it?

Yeah, ask a cop about another police officer taking over their jurisdiction or superceding their authority and you'll quickly find how quickly the thin blue line begins to fall apart.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Willo567 posted:

I don't think there's a reasonable alternative, considering (at the very least) how the Democrats/Democrat leadership has discussed the Trump presidency. The argument I made above was a paraphrasing of some arguments against it I'd heard before, and admittedly what I believed (or wanted to believe) and it's just not an argument I can support now.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

pj and dammerung are sarcasmposting

In my case, I have to admit that it's more of a partial thing, considering that I would have tried to argue for its merits a few years ago. My inaction isn't something I can apologize for, the only thing I think I can do is try to work toward a better future for all.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I can't really see any situation where a populist uprising over the Executive branch arresting the legislature isn't violently quashed by the police and national guard. People seem to think things will go like Ukraine; I think it'll be more like Turkey, where a majority of protesters are scared away in the first wave of the crackdown and a hardcore few are systematically ground down.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Xombie posted:

anti-government milita types, who are well known for working in unison with cops and other government agents without problems,

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow a whole ton of new posts some big news must have dropped

oh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

4 years ago all the serious people insisted that Trump was a joke candidate who would never garner serious support, let alone dominate the Republican primary or go on to win the general election. Further, if you really like, I can go into the gay marriage threat of 2015 and dig up posts where people were explicitly shiting on the idea that Fringe right-wing militias were a threat.

Stop trying to push people to violence especially since as near as I can tell you are trying to push other people into violence while keeping yourself clean. It is incredible lovely to come into a thread where someone was genuinely panicking and start saying "actually every thing is terrible and maybe start killing the police but I'll deny I said this if anything did happen."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Apparently the bootlicks are switching from "She was acting in self defense" to "it's absurd to bring up that she was a cop. She was off duty" as far as the cop murder trial goes.

The spin machine truly has no brakes.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Prester Jane posted:

I was referring to civil war predictions from 4 years ago that didn't happen, but if you want to take this path, cool. 4 Years ago the smart money was on "X" happening, and it didn't happen, therefore nobody can make educated guesses on anything.

"I don't think Andrew Yang can win the presidency"

"Oh yeah, well they said the same thing thing about trump 4 years ago".

Congrats on supporting Yang 2020.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My dad had the balls to tell me this morning that MSNBC isn't an echo chamber and it REALLY pissed me off. All cable news is echo chambers.

Just had to put that out there and get it off my chest, also settle down PJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

Stop trying to push people to violence especially since as near as I can tell you are trying to push other people into violence while keeping yourself clean. It is incredible lovely to come into a thread where someone was genuinely panicking and start saying "actually every thing is terrible and maybe start killing the police but I'll deny I said this if anything did happen."

Please explain in detail exactly how I am "pushing people into committing violence".