Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I skipped ahead to just the bangy bits and... Yeah that certainly was... A thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
The bangy bits tee hee

Hi I'm normally a guitarist/bassist/singer who had an electronic drumset at home that I liked to tool around on and I apparently got good enough at it that a friend asked me to join her band as a drummer and so now I guess I'm a drummer :downsrim:

Current status: I love it so much I'm wondering why I didn't just start on drums in the first place.

So anyways, I adopted the previous drummer's kit, and he had an odd setup that I'm trying to bang into shape (get it) as something that I'm happy with. I did the trick where you put a strip of felt (or in my case an old T-shirt) below the batter head of the kick drum and now it sounds like a pocket into which bass guitar notes can be snug and happy. I tuned the toms for a classic rock feel, they're a bit 'bong!' which I like, so that on the occasions when I decide to do a tom roll they punch out. Nice.

Now, the singer/guitarist/songwriter of this band wrote the drum parts of the songs in software and did some things I wouldn't naturally do. For example, he likes to do quarter notes the floor tom with the right hand the way you would normally do the high hat or ride, and he has a part in one song where he alternates kick and floor tom. On the software kit he wrote this on it sounds fine, but on the way I tuned the kit the bonginess contrasts with the kick and the whole thing sounds no bueno. I tuned the floor tom to be sharp and stick out in rolls, not to fill every quarter note in the song.

But those are the songs he wrote so I need to figure out how to make the kit do that. So the question is, what are my options?

a) Tune all the toms lower and give it a more ... i guess ... metal feel? (I think metal drummers tune their toms real low right?) Now my rolls will be more cavernous.
b) When I put my finger on the center of the floor tom and hit it the bonginess goes away and it matches the floor tom better. Is there some kind of partial mute I can buy that does this?
c) Can I tune the toms differently so that they're not low and metal but the bonginess doesn't go away?
d) ... other ......?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Vino posted:

But those are the songs he wrote so I need to figure out how to make the kit do that. So the question is, what are my options?

a) Tune all the toms lower and give it a more ... i guess ... metal feel? (I think metal drummers tune their toms real low right?) Now my rolls will be more cavernous.
b) When I put my finger on the center of the floor tom and hit it the bonginess goes away and it matches the floor tom better. Is there some kind of partial mute I can buy that does this?
c) Can I tune the toms differently so that they're not low and metal but the bonginess doesn't go away?
d) ... other ......?

d. I would talk to the guitarist and see how essential it is that the notes are exactly the same in the song as what he wrote for his midi. I’m sure there’s probably something that feels natural to you that gets the same sort of beat/sound/feeling across. If you talk to them and find out that the entire song hinges on those alternating tom and bass drum notes, well… It’s probably not a very good song, lol.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Buddy we have talked. It is what it is, I'm trying to find other options now :)

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I think it's pretty terrible to do this to you because a live song should be a different beast than a recorded one (there was a reason why I stopped going to see NIN in the 90s) but you could use your digital kit and use whatever sounds the songwriter used to build a kit so you can quickly switch to it before the song starts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I think it's pretty terrible to do this to you because a live song should be a different beast than a recorded one (there was a reason why I stopped going to see NIN in the 90s) but you could use your digital kit and use whatever sounds the songwriter used to build a kit so you can quickly switch to it before the song starts.

Yeah it sounds like you're both moving in opposite directions on this one. From your description you've got your toms tuned up pretty high/tight, letting them cut through the guitars and giving you a lot of rebound (boing, as you describe it :) ). Your guitarist sounds like he wants a deeper more resonant sound common in rock music, and something that would sound better 'riding' on 8th notes because the hits would meld together a bit better instead of being discrete notes. These two setups are pretty much mutually exclusive for the same drum at the same time.

What is your current tom setup (2 up, 1 down etc)? If you've only got 1 floor tom now, one possibility is to pick up a 2nd floor tom and have one tuned high for your fills, and one tuned low for sustained riding.

I have to feel a bit for the guitar player though, I too love a good deep tom sound, and always enjoy playing songs that use it a lot. If I may shamelessly self-promote for a second:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM1KG51InFA
This is just after I got these new black toms, I have proper Moonjel now I swear :ohdear:

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Maybe moonjel is what I need? There were some on the drums that the previous drummer had left on and I couldn't tell the difference and they were kinda gross so I took them off.

Another floor tom is an option, though man physical drumsets take so much space and our practice space isn't that big. Maybe I can get a smaller rack tom, put it on top, and tune everything lower.

It's actually not a bad idea to mount the digital kit onto the physical one and use it to make the sounds he wants and any other sound I feel like making. I'd have to get another kit for practice though.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Report: The moonjel worked real good actually. Not sure why the previous drummer had it on there because his floor tom was tuned so low that it did nothing. I have mine tuned very high and it killed just enough of the brightness that it works now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Hai friends, TL:DR soundproofing a room, what do?

I'm fairly sure this is probably a recurring topic itt, but IDK where to look. I have an electronic set in my apartment but I am getting tired of every piece sounding the same with each and every hit. Plus, there's friends who like to come and jam at my place, and I've been thinking I should get my old kit assembled and tuned so I can really feel and hear what I am playing. E-drums are OK for practice but they really fall behind when it comes to playing with friends (plus my edrum hihat sucks).

Naturally, my problem is soundproofing. I want to soundproof a space in my apartment so I can have a makeshift home studio where I can play my real set without being heard within a mile's radius.

I have a room I could spare for this purpose, but it has a window and a balcony door. Is it possible to, like, glue foam on the windows or something? Would it make any difference?

Another thing would be, what material should I use? Please advise

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMs1Z_K8cR8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Like the video above, thick rear end curtains/blankets/whatever hanging a few inches away from the walls makes a big difference. You could also go the extra mile and actually apply foam to the walls themselves to further eat up frequencies as they travel through. They make triangle cut foam acoustic squares for this purpose, but for most people any foam would work. That knobby stuff you put on mattresses or even the oldskool egg cartons.

Also, since you said balcony I assume you're on the 2nd floor? Would imagine some kind of riser would also be in order:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Kxoa5K1vg

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I never thought about this until watching the Grateful Dead doc: how often do professional drummers have to replace their instruments? I've never sat behind a drum set in my life so explain to me like a dum dum.

I'll notice guitarists like Tom Morello will have signature beat-up guitars they've used for decades and will be using them for decades to come. But is Brad Wilk using the same drum set he's used the last 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? (as in, the same drums, not the set-up) Or do they inevitably break from use?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
They get beat up like any instrument. Cymbals can crack and heads are usually replaced after every show or two and this is probably the most "damage" you'd see other than a ding here and there.

Guitars and bass can be used in and out of studio but not so much for drums. I'm speaking as an old guy but many times they'll use whatever drums or percussion they can to get "that sound" and that's going to be different for what you bring on the road. If I'm in a rock, pop or metal I'll want a kit that is loud and flashy so it looks good on stage but it also needs to be versatile because unless you are Alex Van Halen or Neil Peart, you are not going to be changing drum sets after each song.

Drum sets also change with the times more (I think) than stringed instruments. Toms were single headed in the 60s and 70s because they were louder and could be heard better on stage. Then amplification and microphone placement improved so you saw closed toms and front heads on bass drums. Around this time you have new recording techniques where you can get a better sound from the drum without having to hit the poo poo out of it and kits are now smaller. You also don't need two 28" bass drums to get a great sound which you can now do with a double pedal and 20" bass. Like unless it's a really vintage Ludwig or Rogers kit, no one is really keeping their old sets around. At least I can't recall anytime that I've seen someone in love with every piece of their kit but drummers will always have a snare or pedal or cymbal that they just can't live without.

Also storage. Its one thing to keep 10 guitars in a closet but try doing that with 10 drum sets

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Like any hobby, some people collect drum gear. I don’t like having lots of random crap so I’ve slimmed down quite a bit. I knew a guy that no poo poo had probably 5-7 separate kits. Did he play them all? Probably not.

I’ve owned 3 separate kits in 20yrs. Your tastes as a player changes so obviously you may change up configurations but one thing I’ve notice is as I get older and less aggressive in my playing, I don’t have to buy new cymbals and I don’t have a lot of bloat in my kit.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've noticed that drumkits are like motorcycles. You can only use one at a time, but somehow you end up with 3 or 4 out in the garage. I'm sure this happens with most hobbies, but as you learn more about <thing> and about what you specifically like and look for in <thing>, you also begin to recognize good deals when you see them. Do I need a new vintage Pearl set, or even have a place to store one much less play it? No. If I saw one on Nextdoor for $200 would I buy it? :hellyeah:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Storage is key. A Guitar is all self contained in a case or bag. You don't have to remove each string, put them in their own special case, like you do with drum equipment.

The only think I really hang onto is extra stands or mounting arms because those do come in handy for not only drummers but when your guitar player forgets his iPad mount, you can improvise.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Bonzo posted:

Storage is key. A Guitar is all self contained in a case or bag. You don't have to remove each string, put them in their own special case, like you do with drum equipment.

The only think I really hang onto is extra stands or mounting arms because those do come in handy for not only drummers but when your guitar player forgets his iPad mount, you can improvise.

Hardware is what essentially prevented me from having both kits properly set up at the same time. I had some extra stands but they were on the bad side of quality and I just couldn’t bring myself to spend hundreds on duplicate hardware.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always imagine myself impressing other drummers by having a kit Frankenstein'd together where all the drums are from a different set, because I'm such a badass I sought out each individual drum that sounded the best. In reality my kit is just a messy bitch that is barely in tune with itself :downsrim:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I’ve been auditioning lately in a new city and I’ve had the pleasure of playing on some of the most beater kits imaginable. Like sure, bring your own cymbals and snare but twice now, I’ve been very thankful that I brought my own stool. I think there is a terrible stool fairy that goes around to beater kits and drops off $20 amazon thrones.

It’s been a long time since I’ve done this much auditioning but I forgot how much it sucks to play strange material on a strange kit and essentially only get one shot at it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A stool is the most important piece of equipment you will EVER own. Never cheap out on that no matter what. Two things I've learned to never vary from over the years is how comfortable I can sit on my stool for hours, and how my sticks feel in my hands.

I ran across this video today and it kinda reminded me of recent chat about a touring drummer's kit. Granted it's Dream Theater but you get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvxjRt-yvLQ

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I have a pork pie that is over stuffed and super comfy but my tailbone still hurts if I’m sitting on it for more than 90 mins.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I went PorkPie as well have a similar issue. After ~2 hours it does get a little uncomfortable. Starting to wonder if one of those saddle style thrones would be worth it. That would also allow me to set up two full kits simultaneously :unsmigghh:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

I had a saddle style for the longest time when I first started playing and for years playing weekly in a band I was wondering why I’d blow out the crotches in jeans so often. It was the saddle. Legs moving so much just accelerated the wear. Haven’t blown out a pair of jeans since going traditional round stool. I picked up a free rock em saddle throne from a church before I moved bc they were gonna toss it and it’s super comfy but I can’t imagine gigging with it. I want my throne to fit into my bag when I transport gear. This thing has a base like an office chair.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The crotches blew out because your jeans don't fit, sitting on a saddle just made the process faster. :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Put it in your bass drum case. Nothing is more important for drumming than butt comfort.

How do you play drums without a bass you ask?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBsxNIN9j2k

And just because I have nowhere else to post drum gifs...

https://i.imgur.com/2dN0BwO.mp4

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

And just because I have nowhere else to post drum gifs...

https://i.imgur.com/2dN0BwO.mp4

not as bad as the guy deadass washing a mixer with a hose and a bucket of soapy water. v uncomfortable after the first 6-8 seconds

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

that mic has impeccable comedic timing

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
got an alesis surge the other day. everything is basically perfect, but the hi-hat pedal is very inconsistent. i think it's a mechanical problem. anyone else have this issue, and what did you do to fix it?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I never liked those pedals so I got myself one of these for my DM10

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/pro-x-hi-hat

e: just realized that this might not be helpful for you because this one might not be compatible with the surge, sorry about that.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 10, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Simone Poodoin posted:

I never liked those pedals so I got myself one of these for my DM10

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/pro-x-hi-hat

e: just realized that this might not be helpful for you because this one might not be compatible with the surge, sorry about that.

oh yeah, i was thinking about that. found this thingy that says it'll work:

https://c.getsatisfaction.com/alesis/topics/alesis-pro-x-hi-hat-with-surge-module

i'll probably get it sometime, but i'd rather not have to buy anything else for a while. maybe i could shim something in this pedal now? it's kind of amazing how bad it is

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

got an alesis surge the other day. everything is basically perfect, but the hi-hat pedal is very inconsistent. i think it's a mechanical problem. anyone else have this issue, and what did you do to fix it?

Yesterday I updated the firmware on my DM10 and reset the settings and it was pretty much unplayable, this forum was really good to figure out how to bestconfigure my trigger settings, maybe they will know what's up with your pedal (if you haven't looked there already)

https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?board=4.0

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Question again from a neophyte drummer: when I attach a tambourine to the top of the hi hat it swivels and it happens that its settling point is toward me. That's bad because the cut-out part of the tambourine has to face away so that I can hit the high hat with my stick, but two or three times during the song I have to re-orient it while I'm playing. Can I get it not to do that somehow?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They make hihat cymbals that are designed to grab the little pole so you can clamp it down in a fixed position. If you mean your hihat rod itself spins, you can also use a little adapter rod if you want to stick it to the side of another stand somewhere, like what's shown on this page:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/RhythmTech/Nickel-Drum-Tambourine-Black-1274115063161.gc

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

It shouldn’t swivel. Either the tambourine isn’t secured to the hi hat rod, or the upper hi hat rod isn’t secured to the hi hat pull rod. Tighten both and it should fix your problem (unless you’re using just a random handheld tambourine and not a drum set tambourine like takes no damage posted above?)

An alternative that also lets you keep your non-jingly hi hat sound would be getting a percussion mount like this, or here’s a tambourine-specific holder

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Jazz Marimba posted:

the upper hi hat rod isn’t secured to the hi hat pull rod.

I have a drum mount tambourine that clamps to the hi hat rod so this must be the problem. Having never seen inside one of those things it'll be an adventure to disassemble it before next practice to find whatever thing needs to be tightened. Thanks fam

like a robot
Jan 8, 2015
Curious about finding a teacher in the the Las Vegas area. I have played drum set for many years thought about trying to find a teacher. Where would one go about looking for one? Thoughts or experiences for any of you? I'm really interested in improving and having some guidance I also don't really know how to evaluate myself...

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

like a robot posted:

Curious about finding a teacher in the the Las Vegas area. I have played drum set for many years thought about trying to find a teacher. Where would one go about looking for one? Thoughts or experiences for any of you? I'm really interested in improving and having some guidance I also don't really know how to evaluate myself...

The first avenues I'd check are asking for recommendations in your local FB musician groups, and calling around music places about their programs. Also, go to shows in your area and talk to the drummers. I met this guy out there once, dude's got skills and gives private lessons on the side.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Vino posted:

I have a drum mount tambourine that clamps to the hi hat rod so this must be the problem. Having never seen inside one of those things it'll be an adventure to disassemble it before next practice to find whatever thing needs to be tightened. Thanks fam

Don’t disassemble anything, just rotate the rod clockwise until it stops turning. It’s meant to come off (along with the upper half of the stand) for transportation since most hardware bags aren’t 3.5’-4’ long

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nebraska Tim posted:

The first avenues I'd check are asking for recommendations in your local FB musician groups, and calling around music places about their programs. Also, go to shows in your area and talk to the drummers. I met this guy out there once, dude's got skills and gives private lessons on the side.

Yeah something like an instructor is going to be almost totally word-of-mouth, and even then it's a good idea to 'shop around' to find someone who's teaching style lines up with your learning style.

e:
Trolling your audience by making them count to seven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njy7pMVKJ8Q

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Oct 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

like a robot
Jan 8, 2015
Thanks for the info I'll check on some stuff