Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My god, the endless lies about EVERYTHING...

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1179119475435741186

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1179120327101685760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Miller has been one of the most successful at enacting a horrifying agenda while keeping his head down. The concentration camps and ICE slipping its leash are both on him and both will take a very, very long time to unfuck. He'll be a right-wing media superstar for decades and we're going to have to keep hearing and responding to him.

That's assuming whoever he's a painting of doesn't rip him up in a fit of conscience.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

fool_of_sound posted:

Prester and the people arguing with her, please go to her thread. The last thing we need in here is a debate on the theories and predictions of Prester T Jane.

I responded a single time to a poster who was trying to attack/discredit me by intentionally misrepresenting posts I had made in the past. The rest of my posts in this discussion have not referenced my work/theories.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 1, 2019

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Luckyellow posted:

What crimes has he involved himself with?

He's pretty closely tied into ICE/Trump's most discriminatory policy actions (eg, the Muslim ban), so I don't know how much luck he'll have on getting out of things cleanly.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The CIA have an amazingly spotty competency record, so I'm not sure if it's better or worse to have them on your side. It's sort of like having the best of what's lying around, I suppose.

And most Western spy agencies have arguably hyped themselves up way more than is justified by their records.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

haveblue posted:

Miller has been one of the most successful at enacting a horrifying agenda while keeping his head down. The concentration camps and ICE slipping its leash are both on him and both will take a very, very long time to unfuck. He'll be a right-wing media superstar for decades and we're going to have to keep hearing and responding to him.

That's assuming whoever he's a painting of doesn't rip him up in a fit of conscience.

I'm okay with keeping Guantanamo for the sole purpose of housing Steven Miller for the rest of his unnatural life.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
a federal judge just blocked the georgia abortion ban from going into effect while a court challenge is pending

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Brony Car posted:

The CIA have an amazingly spotty competency record, so I'm not sure if it's better or worse to have them on your side. It's sort of like having the best of what's lying around, I suppose.

And most Western spy agencies have arguably hyped themselves up way more than is justified by their records.

Pros: They don't like Trump and apparently have a lot of goods on him.
Cons: How long have you got?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Luckyellow posted:

What crimes has he involved himself with?

I think he probably oozes his way past charges for Immigrant Stuff in the absence of a revolutionary tribunal; so far, as far as we know, he's had the low cunning to just create policies that will cause suffering without actually telling ICE/CBP officers to abuse immigrants. But who knows, maybe he got arrogant and crimed.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This whole derail only started because someone saw a person standing out on a ledge and decided that it’d be appropriate to say how they had the right idea.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I'm looking forward to struggling alongside a bunch of drunk Yalie perverts that have propped up fascist regimes around the world. To the barricades, comrades!

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

luxury handset posted:

a federal judge just blocked the georgia abortion ban from going into effect while a court challenge is pending

This sounds like great news! Is it? I'm worried whenever I get my hopes up.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the CIA's toolkit contains two tools. one, pay for the creation of right wing death squads to neutralize opposition. two, make copies of the enemy's mail.

which one of those two things do you think is going to be helpful against a right-wing campaign of stochastic violence

The part where they are doing neither of those things to me.

Actually the "make copies of the enemy's mail" sounds like it could be useful too.

quote:

although a shitload of subpoenas are working their way through the court system

What does this really, like, mean, though? What is actually happening with them, and why does it seem like it's not anything for any of them?

Ninja Edit: Ah, actually I guess this is sort of what I was looking for.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The last thing I'm seeing on the subpoena lawsuit against Don McGahn, for example, is a request for expedited process in, uh, late August. Fake edit: article from yesterday? on this stuff: https://www.rollcall.com/news/impeachment-inquiry-likely-to-move-faster-than-house-lawsuits-making-some-moot

So, there's that. Looks like there's some news coming on several of those quite soon.

It's a bit worrying to see this stuff all stalled up for months, especially since none of these sound like "last steps" and a lot of them seem simple enough to resolve. Is there a reason such high priority issues are taking so long for the courts to address? Especially with that request for expeditating looking like it was effectively just ignored.

None of these subpoena outcomes seem like they need much in the way of complicated legal argument.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 1, 2019

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
got a pretty good laugh out of the idea that Stephen Miller would just go away if you shine a light at him. Like, Kissinger, Ollie North, Barr, Rumsfeld, Roger Stone are all fine examples of the fact that these ghouls do not just loving disappear

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dammerung posted:

it's not great news, the law was not yet struck down, but it was going to become law on jan 1 and that's been delayed until the court challenge is resolved. so that's pretty good

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Prester Jane posted:

How'd that work out for the Kurds?

Pretty okay for Rojava though that’s more SOCOM money than the CIA

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Dammerung posted:

it’s at least promising because one factor in staying a law is whether the challengers are likely to succeed on the merits of the suit. of course, even if the court ultimately strikes the law down, it’ll get appealed to the Supreme Court eventually and who knows what those wackos will do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dammerung posted:

It's good that for a while longer Georgia women will not have their rights violated any more than they already were being. It's not a permanent solution but it will prevent a significant if finite amount of suffering.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Stephen Miller might be simply too stupid to successfully parlay his time with Trump into a decades long career as some political lich.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dammerung posted:

I mean, it means we aren't currently living in Gilead.

Give it another year

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/StewartRhodesOK/status/538611970199396352?s=19

https://twitter.com/Oathkeepers/status/1178549790847590400?s=19

https://twitter.com/RedNationRising/status/1179107700338315265?s=19

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This whole derail only started because someone saw a person standing out on a ledge and decided that it’d be appropriate to say how they had the right idea.

This. Stop talking about CW2 you big nerds

On the topic of Pompeo, can they arrest his smug Evangelical fat rear end and throw him in a jail? Because the mental image of that is thrilling :allears:

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 1, 2019

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Stephen Miller might be simply too stupid to successfully parlay his time with Trump into a decades long career as some political lich.

History strongly suggests that one doesn't need to be all that particularly intelligent to succeed at that particular task. And while Stephen Miller is no Einstein- he's handily intelligent enough to pull off this particular trick.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

It has not yet been made clear to me the manner in which the House will enforce fines.
Well if they're State Dept employees Congress having the 'power of the purse' can garnish their wages I believe. Suddenly being unable to make your house payment would likely be quite compelling.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

FMguru posted:

Here are the stone-cold badasses who are going to powerslam all you weak pussy libtards once Civil War II begins:

(Stolen from the freep thread)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oracle posted:

Well if they're State Dept employees Congress having the 'power of the purse' can garnish their wages I believe. Suddenly being unable to make your house payment would likely be quite compelling.

They can't do that unilaterally, the power of the purse refers to passing legislative budgets. They would need the Senate and executive (barring veto override) to do targeted defunds of departments.

There are also probably constitutional issues with passing a law for the express purpose of "gently caress that guy in particular".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

To engage with the madness for a moment - what would have happened in that random studio for weeks after an election had occurred?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

bird cooch posted:

Oath Keepers are the same people who succesfully backed down a bunch of federal agents and nearly triggered a massive shootout over a bunch of cattle.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TulliusCicero posted:

This. Stop talking about CW2 you big nerds

Acceptable topics for the US Pol Thread:
US Presidential Primaries
Rising political violence
Vaping
The Civil War that Republicans are calling for

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Groovelord Neato posted:

almost like the founding fathers were dumb and instituted a system worse than the one they rebelled against.

Counter point
Brexit

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Also, White supremacist groups have been talking about us being on the verge of the RaHoWa for decades, does that mean it's about to happen?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Acceptable topics for the US Pol Thread:
US Presidential Primaries
Rising political violence
Vaping
The Civil War that Republicans are calling for

Food

Is the chicken sandwich back at Popeyes yet?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Skex posted:

Counter point
Brexit

They are both bad systems for different reasons, one doesn't have a written constitution, the other somehow puts all the executive power in a single person, controlling all of the federal goverment.

Like it doesn't make sense to me that you would rebel against "those monarchists and the king", and then make a system based on an king elected by land owners basically

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Skex posted:

Counter point
Brexit

Britain and the US are currently in a long going contest of "who can destroy their representative government first". it seemed like Britain was pulling ahead, but we have really come in to our own this last week!

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Also, White supremacist groups have been talking about us being on the verge of the RaHoWa for decades, does that mean it's about to happen?

I don't know- was the sitting president of the United States openly encouraging them in decades past or is that some sort of new development that dramatically alters the context around this discussion?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Celexi posted:

They are both bad systems for different reasons, one doesn't have a written constitution, the other somehow puts all the executive power in a single person, controlling all of the federal goverment.

Like it doesn't make sense to me that you would rebel against "those monarchists and the king", and then make a system based on an king elected by land owners basically

Because if you let just anybody elect the king, they could end up putting some demented yahoo in power!!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump would often need a babysitter on phone calls with foriegn leaders because he was unprepared, and would go off on "random tangents" about the Mueller probe.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/white-house-staff-reportedly-needed-063748000.html?.tsrc=fauxdal

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

bird cooch posted:

thank heaven that the Pragmatic Compromise of unconditionally submitting to these people was successfully deployed by the Oregon legislature, eh?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/oregon-walkout-republican-end-climate_n_5d182d50e4b07f6ca57e8a42

i'm sure they didn't give up anything too important, in the name of decorum, though.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Latest Ukraine Clown Posse update:

Ukraine is surrendering to Russia for unknown reasons.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1179067720941408260

Guessing Trump had too many riders on those aid packages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

Oath Keepers are the same people who succesfully backed down a bunch of federal agents and nearly triggered a massive shootout over a bunch of cattle.

sort of but not exactly, the Oath Keepers specifically were a secondary element in the Bundy ranch standoff and made the other militias Real Mad when they withdrew early over drone strike fears; technically they DID almost trigger a massive shootout, but it was hot militia-on-militia action, not militia-on-fed

That's still not my favorite Oath Keeper story, though. In one of the early Black Lives Matter events, a bunch of Oath Keepers showed up to 'keep the peace' and 'prevent looting', because of course they did. The leader of the little band, however, made a fateful mistake: he talked to the Black Lives Matter folks and listened to their grievances. He promptly went to the Oath Keeper national leadership and said "hey guys, you know how we're against tyranny and pro constitutional rights and terrified of jackbooted stormtroopers killing us and our families? I think these BLM folks make really good points and are our natural allies, I want to march with them and start coordinating with them."

This did not go over well. Specifically, he was told that if he persisted in this nonsense he would be kicked out of the movement, whereupon he went "YOU CAN'T KICK ME OUT IF I QUIT" and left in a huff with a bunch of his buddies. Good on you, guy whose name I can't be bothered to look up.