Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Qubee posted:

Have fallen in love with a takeaway sushi place. Had an amazing vegetable futomaki, and there's a small yellow vegetable / fruit that I can't figure out. It's slightly sweet, and very very crunchy. I have no idea what it is and Google doesn't help. Does anyone know what it might be? It's super crunchy and tastes just sweet, no other flavour.

How yellow are you talking? A brownish yellow is probably burdock. If it's neon yellow they may be adding pickled Korean radish. I've seen both added to veg rolls before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Casu, I think you're right. It's pickled Korean radish. Burdock pictures showed it coming up too brown, and the shape was wrong. Pickled radish looks really similar, some pics even show the same pineapple looking shape I was talking about. It was crunchy, which is what you'd expect with a radish.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Hey Subg, here’s a 10x10x5 box with the lids folded in holding four stacks of delitainers

Eh. Yeah, I could just stuff them in a box, but I'd prefer something a little more durable and easy to use. Like a cup/lid dispenser. I should probably just got to a local restaurant supply and see if they've got 'em for stupidly large beverages. I don't know what all the common diameters are, but I'm sure some of those crazy litre-sized cups are probably like 5".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. Turned out loving delicious and since this is one of the recipes from Alton’s new show maybe he took some feedback to heart cause this was way packed with flavor.

The only gently caress up was that I mistimed the eggs and they got hard boiled

Looks good!

The only really new thing from the new Good Eats Shaksuka recipe is the two step eggs, that does work! Previously I would just dump the eggs into the sauce and toss the whole thing into the oven.
Has anyone tried making his harissa?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Is this air fryer any good? A coworker is selling it for $60.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/emerald-6-5l-digital-air-fryer-black/6317699.p?skuId=6317699

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to throw in some bacon bits with my fried rice. What's the best way to go about making bacon bits? Fry it up until crispy, throw it in a bag, go after it with a mallet?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

totalnewbie posted:

I want to throw in some bacon bits with my fried rice. What's the best way to go about making bacon bits? Fry it up until crispy, throw it in a bag, go after it with a mallet?

Once it's crispy just crumble it up with your fingers and try not to eat it all before it goes in the rice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How do I avoid burning my fingers?

thanks!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Just drain it on paper towels and let it cool down, man

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I don't like mine crispy enough to crumble, so I roughly cut it up with some kitchen shears. This yields pieces a lil bigger than "bits" but I prefer them that way. Whichever you do, don't suffer the mental game of trying not to eat it, just make extra :yum:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Herb scissors before cooking

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Don't touch hot stuff with your bare hands

for your fried rice, cut up the bacon before cooking and render it in the pan, then cook your fried rice in the bacon fat with your bacon bits still in the pan

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 30, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

Use a cheese grater or citrus zester to grate the raw bacon into your pan, depending on how fine you want your bacon crumbles

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Anne Whateley posted:

Herb scissors

huh.. I had no idea these were a thing. I guess I don't mind having been forced to try to improve my knife skills but man.. so much time could have been saved.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a pair of those and they are annoying because the herbs get stuck between the blades.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The guard is deliberately shaped with a poker-outer to poke the caught herbs out

e: https://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Blade-Scissors-Protective-SNIP/dp/B000TYKWMI

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

Looks good!

The only really new thing from the new Good Eats Shaksuka recipe is the two step eggs, that does work! Previously I would just dump the eggs into the sauce and toss the whole thing into the oven.
Has anyone tried making his harissa?

I made the harissa using Aleppo instead of Urfa. It’s delicious, and mild enough that spice weaklings didn’t complain about the heat

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

huh.. I had no idea these were a thing. I guess I don't mind having been forced to try to improve my knife skills but man.. so much time could have been saved.

Koreans know what's up and use kitchen shears to cut everything up tableside

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Made 3 batches, threw a part where there were no leftovers, making 3 more batches to freeze for later. 6.6 lb canned tomatoes are $3.50 at Costco and it’s enough for 3 batches!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

Use a cheese grater or citrus zester to grate the raw bacon into your pan, depending on how fine you want your bacon crumbles
You don't get that permeating flavour if you don't microplane your bacon

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Crumbling bacon is obviously too complicated and divisive an issue, get some pork belly and make char sui instead.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I had to convince a friend that scissors were a normal kitchen implement for Koreans at a Korean joint one time. He wanted to cut something up and they brought scissors and he was convinced they just grabbed them from the cash register area or something.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's a pot roast kind of day, but alas, no beef is on sale. Dark meat chicken and pork shoulder are though, for 88c a lb. I'm gonna stock the freezer, but what with those proteins scratches that potroast itch?

Worst case scenario I make my bastard chicken adobo, but I want something neeewww

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Last week I made pot roast but with a pork shoulder. Go for it!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
You can do some kind of braised chicken, I like chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lawnie posted:

You can do some kind of braised chicken, I like chicken with 40 cloves of garlic.

This is one of my favorite "it is winter and my wife is away for a week" meals. So good, but you will smell like it for daaaaaaaaaays.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Posole

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Casu Marzu posted:

A practice that I find incredibly strange.

SubG posted:

Crumbling bacon is obviously too complicated and divisive an issue, get some pork belly and make char sui instead.

Funny thing is, I've actually made char sui. Crumbling bacon, not so much. I honestly can't remember the last time I even bought bacon..

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Is this gochugaru? This seemed to be the only coarse Korean pepper option at the New Grand Mart I went to for the first time today.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

pile of brown posted:

Don't touch hot stuff with your bare hands

for your fried rice, cut up the bacon before cooking and render it in the pan, then cook your fried rice in the bacon fat with your bacon bits still in the pan

This except use lap zhong (sp?) Chinese sausage.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I want to make my own pulled pork Bahn Mi. I found this on the wiki http://goonswithspoons.com/w/index.php?title=Bahn_Mi_(Vietnamese_Sandwiches)&hsa=1

Curious if someone has a go to recipe for their mayo, meat & pickled veg they'd like to share before I blindly start throwing asian flavors into something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Veritek83 posted:

Is this gochugaru? This seemed to be the only coarse Korean pepper option at the New Grand Mart I went to for the first time today.

this looks like fine powder, not the coarse stuff

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Veritek83 posted:

My Korean is good enough to tell you it is literally gochugaru (고추 가루), but it isn't good enough to decipher if is actually course or powder like the package indicates.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Veritek83 posted:

Is that an actual window in thte package on the bottom right? If so, that's the fine ground stuff for gochujang.

The flake for kimchi, etc should look like this

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm always amazed that they sell 5 pound bags of the pepper powder at the Asian market. Is there a use for that much pepper for home cooks, or are those bags more for restaurants?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm always amazed that they sell 5 pound bags of the pepper powder at the Asian market. Is there a use for that much pepper for home cooks, or are those bags more for restaurants?

Restaurants. A lot of chefs visit the Asian market near me.
https://www.theadvocate.com/gambit/new_orleans/news/article_b4573e9d-3ad0-5e2d-847b-235755098699.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
yeah, it's powdered, but not super fine. definitely not flakes, but I'll still put it to good use. appreciate the help/translation

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If you peel the outermost layers off of a leek there's usually another inch or two of light green under there. Is this legit light green leek or no?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Gochugaru is mild AF so you can add buttloads and not really regret it later. If you make kimchi as well as cook with it frequently, you'll burn through a bag pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Go chu Gary (thanks iPhone autocorrect) comes in “regular” and “hot,” and often times doesn’t label which one it is in English on the bag