Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Because if you let just anybody elect the king, they could end up putting some demented yahoo in power!!

Plato would be appalled that we still haven't figured this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
While it was nice to see Boris get really owned by the UK’s Supreme Court from what I can tell the country is no closer to avoiding Brexit catastrophe. And a new General Election night very well just replace him with some other Tory shithead.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Prester Jane posted:

I don't know, was the sitting president of the United States openly encouraging them in the past or is that some sort of new development that dramatically alters the context around this discussion?

Reagan actively courted white supremacists in his campaign in the 80's, kicking it off in an area known for lynching civil rights activists and talking "states rights".

Trump firing up the white supremacists sure is happening, but you're going to have to walk me through how that gets to CW2: Proud Boy Boogaloo.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Oracle posted:

Well if they're State Dept employees Congress having the 'power of the purse' can garnish their wages I believe. Suddenly being unable to make your house payment would likely be quite compelling.

I don't think they have a tool to remove payments going to one specific individual do they? They find the departments but as demonstrated with the recent wall stuff Trump decides ultimately where the money goes, and here the law would probably back him up.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Claiming that we are on the brink of civil war means you are positing that the corporate oligarchy of the US actually has relatively little power or influence over the govt and military.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

OAquinas posted:

Latest Ukraine Clown Posse update:

Ukraine is surrendering to Russia for unknown reasons.

https://twitter.com/mhmck/status/1179067720941408260

Guessing Trump had too many riders on those aid packages?

Oh gee, the Russian puppet cut off aid to Ukraine and now they are resorting to this. It's like there is a pattern of behavior and actions or something! :thunk:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

While it was nice to see Boris get really owned by the UK’s Supreme Court from what I can tell the country is no closer to avoiding Brexit catastrophe.

The idea that at some point they either have a second referendum and take it all back or they negotiate a decent deal that somehow works for everyone. The former's a much more easily-executed outcome than the latter but they're both full of the hard choices hate to make.

That quote about politics being like sausage-making comes to mind.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

Reagan actively courted white supremacists in his campaign in the 80's, kicking it off in an area known for lynching civil rights activists and talking "states rights".

Trump firing up the white supremacists sure is happening, but you're going to have to walk me through how that gets to CW2: Proud Boy Boogaloo.

the quick and easy one is this: remember that Oregon GOP walkout that was ended with the total submission of the Oregon dems

what happens the first time that Pragmatic Centrism does -not- immediately knuckle under faced with militarized resistance from conservatives is still very much up in the air. hopefully, they fold. or, failing that, hopefully they get cleaned up quickly and neatly. but quite simply, we do not know what happens after that.

we're gonna find out sooner or later, but so far in the age of Trump the Republicans are batting one thousand with this playbook.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Celexi posted:

Like it doesn't make sense to me that you would rebel against "those monarchists and the king", and then make a system based on an king elected by land owners basically

Sure it does... if you are those land owners.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Failed Imagineer posted:

To engage with the madness for a moment - what would have happened in that random studio for weeks after an election had occurred?

Pizzagate.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sort of but not exactly, the Oath Keepers specifically were a secondary element in the Bundy ranch standoff and made the other militias Real Mad when they withdrew early over drone strike fears; technically they DID almost trigger a massive shootout, but it was hot militia-on-militia action, not militia-on-fed

They were a primary element in the standoff and were incredibly important because of the organizational infrastructure and communications network they brought/set up. They withdrew only after the standoff had already occurred- the drone strike was supposed to be in retaliation for embarrassing the feds.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 1, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

GlyphGryph posted:

It has not yet been made clear to me the manner in which the House will enforce fines.

Oracle posted:

Well if they're State Dept employees Congress having the 'power of the purse' can garnish their wages I believe. Suddenly being unable to make your house payment would likely be quite compelling.

haveblue posted:

They can't do that unilaterally, the power of the purse refers to passing legislative budgets. They would need the Senate and executive (barring veto override) to do targeted defunds of departments.

There are also probably constitutional issues with passing a law for the express purpose of "gently caress that guy in particular".

yeah, targeted legislation would probably be unconstitutional and is unnecessary anyway

It's not as clearly laid out as civil contempt, but the House could probably either have the sergeant at arms issue the fines (by the same sort of mechanism as that hypothetical Chase Bank garnishment, where he / his office sends a letter), or have him go to a judge and ask the judge to issue the fines. In either case though, you might as well start with suing for civil contempt in the first place.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Dog whistling to white supremacists is a whole different ballgame than outright calling for civil war if you are impeached.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

cr0y posted:

My attorney got (an) attorney

My Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Be concerned about small group far right terror attacks, not some balkan-style civil war conflict

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Celexi posted:

They are both bad systems for different reasons, one doesn't have a written constitution, the other somehow puts all the executive power in a single person, controlling all of the federal goverment.

Like it doesn't make sense to me that you would rebel against "those monarchists and the king", and then make a system based on an king elected by land owners basically

Here's the dirty secret no one wants to admit, America's constitution was an experiment. When you step back and forget all the history it's kind of dumb to think that a dozen rich white guys 200+ years ago somehow knew how to craft a governing system that would last for thousands of years and massive societal and technologic changes. It's almost flying spaghetti monster levels of absurdity, like some sacred 200 year old document is to be revered and worshipped without question.

But luckily those rich white guys realized that they couldn't account for every possible issue or scenario in the future. So they built in mechanisms to change the government, and over time the branches have evolved with amendments and important judicial decisions. And it's up to us to realize, is the government in its current state really working? If not, what can we do to change it?

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 1, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The Founding Fathers had varying degrees of opinion on the King and some outright believed that they were rebelling against an oppressive Parliament and not the King at all so in that light it makes total sense that they’d later go on to support a King like executive figure running the country.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

Here's the dirty secret no one wants to admit, America's constitution was an experiment. When you step back and forget all the history it's kind fo dumb to think that a dozen rich white guys 200+ years ago somehow knew how to craft a governing system that would last for thousands of years and massive societal and technologic changes. It's almost flying spaghetti monster levels of absurdity, like some sacred 200 year old document is to be revered and worshipped without question.

But luckily those rich white guys realized is that they couldn't account for every possible issue or scenario in the future. So they built in mechanisms to change the government, and over time the branches have evolved with amendments and important judicial decisions. And it's up to us to realize, is the government in its current state really working? If not, what can we do to change it?

The ruling class will continue to prop up the Constitution as sacred as long as it keeps them in power. Morons go along with it, not realizing they are being exploited. So it goes.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

mod sassinator posted:

But luckily those rich white guys realized that they couldn't account for every possible issue or scenario in the future. So they built in mechanisms to change the government, and over time the branches have evolved with amendments and important judicial decisions. And it's up to us to realize, is the government in its current state really working? If not, what can we do to change it?

Nothing. The false religious canonization of the founders of this country has been beaten into the skull of every citizen. While it doesn't always take, the indoctrination rate is still really, really loving high.

Ask any red-state hillbilly and they'll tell you that our constitution was ordained by god and cannot be changed in spite of the glaring fact that it has been changed many many times.

Civic education has been dead in this country for like 75 years and this is the result.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Founding Fathers had varying degrees of opinion on the King and some outright believed that they were rebelling against an oppressive Parliament and not the King at all so in that light it makes total sense that they’d later go on to support a King like executive figure running the country.

Put history into context though--I don't have a good source offhand but I remember learning that in the founding days the president and executive branch actually had very little power. It was really just a check on congress's power. It's only over time that we've given up more and more control, like the power to start wars and such, to the executive branch.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Jaxyon posted:

Food

Is the chicken sandwich back at Popeyes yet?

NO >:( i think they're just going to quietly phase it out until people forget it ever existed.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mod sassinator posted:

Here's the dirty secret no one wants to admit, America's constitution was an experiment. When you step back and forget all the history it's kind of dumb to think that a dozen rich white guys 200+ years ago somehow knew how to craft a governing system that would last for thousands of years and massive societal and technologic changes. It's almost flying spaghetti monster levels of absurdity, like some sacred 200 year old document is to be revered and worshipped without question.

Sam Seder had a guy on yesterday who made the argument that the Supreme Court was never intended to adjudicate the Constitution, and was only assembled so there was a "highest court" for the buck on normal cases to stop at. Thomas Jefferson apparently flipped his poo poo the first time they made a Constitutional ruling

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LeeMajors posted:

Nothing. The false religious canonization of the founders of this country has been beaten into the skull of every citizen. While it doesn't always take, the indoctrination rate is still really, really loving high.

Ask any red-state hillbilly and they'll tell you that our constitution was ordained by god and cannot be changed in spite of the glaring fact that it has been changed many many times.

Civic education has been dead in this country for like 75 years and this is the result.

https://twitter.com/JanePrester/status/1179133917997092864?s=19

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Iron Lung posted:

NO >:( i think they're just going to quietly phase it out until people forget it ever existed.

They have it front and center in the digital menu, just with a banner across it saying BACK SOON. That seems like an odd tactic toward that goal

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
did you make a tweet as a reply to a comment in this thread, then quote your own tweet in this thread as a reply to the same comment?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I actively tried to read those but my eyes kept skittering off the page in sheer horror.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaVendrickS/status/1179134883710545920

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Sam Seder had a guy on yesterday who made the argument that the Supreme Court was never intended to adjudicate the Constitution, and was only assembled so there was a "highest court" for the buck on normal cases to stop at. Thomas Jefferson apparently flipped his poo poo the first time they made a Constitutional ruling

Yeah and there was a fascinating podcast I heard early in the year about Truman and the bomb and how it dramatically changed the power of the president. There were many people who saw Truman dropping the bomb as a huge abuse of power--it should have been a decision made by congress they thought. And it's precisely the kind of thing the founding fathers could never have anticipated, that the president would have a magic button on his desk that literally would destroy the world in 20 minutes. There was a lot of back and forth apparently to try and reign in the president's control over nuclear weapons and unfortunately in the red scare era the power was given to the president. Maybe that was a big mistake...

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

LeeMajors posted:

The same people who act like the Constitution cannot be changed also love The 2nd Amendment, which of course is a change to the Constitution.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love question 29, the "right" answer is the only one that is cruel on its face even to a 10-year-old kid

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Why is this still happening now when the jury reached a verdict this morning?

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

Sentencing phase.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

Punishment phase, showing evidence that she should not be let off easy

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

legit surprised that lady cop got convicted

guess it probably helped that she was a woman

either way, good to see SOME good news come out of the criminal justice system for once

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You guys do realize Zelensky was the pro-russian reintegration candidate as opposed to the previous russia-phobic president right?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/LaVendrickS/status/1179135732759367683

Judge has overruled every single state objection

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lock her up.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Scott Forstall posted:

did you make a tweet as a reply to a comment in this thread, then quote your own tweet in this thread as a reply to the same comment?

PJ @4:39EST

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ThanosWasRight posted:

You guys do realize Zelensky was the pro-russian reintegration candidate as opposed to the previous russia-phobic president right?

Donut twitter is freaking out about the aid packages--who pocketed it, why did Zelensky ask if he was just going to surrender, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GreyjoyBastard posted:

sort of but not exactly, the Oath Keepers specifically were a secondary element in the Bundy ranch standoff and made the other militias Real Mad when they withdrew early over drone strike fears; technically they DID almost trigger a massive shootout, but it was hot militia-on-militia action, not militia-on-fed

That's still not my favorite Oath Keeper story, though. In one of the early Black Lives Matter events, a bunch of Oath Keepers showed up to 'keep the peace' and 'prevent looting', because of course they did. The leader of the little band, however, made a fateful mistake: he talked to the Black Lives Matter folks and listened to their grievances. He promptly went to the Oath Keeper national leadership and said "hey guys, you know how we're against tyranny and pro constitutional rights and terrified of jackbooted stormtroopers killing us and our families? I think these BLM folks make really good points and are our natural allies, I want to march with them and start coordinating with them."

This did not go over well. Specifically, he was told that if he persisted in this nonsense he would be kicked out of the movement, whereupon he went "YOU CAN'T KICK ME OUT IF I QUIT" and left in a huff with a bunch of his buddies. Good on you, guy whose name I can't be bothered to look up.

This owns. A lot of weird biker types you'd assume are complete dipshits are entirely decent folks. Lots of weird old chuds buying harleys though, too and gently caress those guys