Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

phasmid posted:

I also want him to have some crazy hair.

A huge orange bush just exploding out of a shiny futuristic codpiece

"whatup Atreides?" :smugmrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Vlex posted:

Can we just agree that Old Man Herbert was simply a horndog and should not be pigeonholed with actual sex criminals.

Yeah, I can't think of any actual rape that happening in the OG Herbert books.

His son definitely wrote some gross scenes one-handed though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chas McGill posted:

I want feyd to be in the movie.

he'll be in #2, ya dingus

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, I can't think of any actual rape that happening in the OG Herbert books.

His son definitely wrote some gross scenes one-handed though.

Iirc Duncan's or someone's sister is believed to have been raped to death in a Harkonnen pleasure house.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vlex posted:

Can we just agree that Old Man Herbert was simply a horndog and should not be pigeonholed with actual sex criminals.

writing about sex during the sexual revolution does not a sexpest make

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iirc Duncan's or someone's sister is believed to have been raped to death in a Harkonnen pleasure house.
Gurney's, I believe. She loved pansies...or was it daisies? I can't remember. It bothers me that I can't remember.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
Godsdamnit, Frank!

Dirty Old Frank in Heretics of Dune posted:

When they were clear of the market street, she whispered to Burzmali: "That man in the heavy coat back there -- a Tleilaxu Master!"

"Couldn't be," Burzmali protested. "Too tall."

"Two of them, one on the shoulders of the other."

"You're sure?"

"I'm sure."

"I've seen others like that since we arrived, but I didn't suspect."

"Many searchers are in these streets," she said.

Waff Adultman and his cronies have done it again!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sietch orgy scene set to Spice Up Your Life

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We can't ALL be named Salty Spice

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Rainbow 6 Sietch

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

deploying thumper

tango detected

big one confirmed

deploying hook

hostile secured

to me

on your six

swapping riders

stay frosty

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

kiimo posted:

deploying thumper

tango detected

big one confirmed

deploying hook

hostile secured

to me

on your six

swapping riders

stay frosty

On the maker, 5 by 5

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I would play this game.

Call of Dune: Modern Mouse

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shaddak posted:

On the maker, 5 by 5

haha excellent

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Thread pretty silent these days; the sands of war roll slowly; the beefswell of my anticipation twitches intermittently; plans within plans, hands upon glands.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
the slow post penetrates the ban

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Thread pretty silent these days; the sands of war roll slowly; the beefswell of my anticipation twitches intermittently; plans within plans, hands upon glands.

Post in the Dune thread? I'm not in the mood.

-- You post when the need arises, no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for 4Chan or carrying printers.

Would you really have banned me, Gurney?

-- If you had made one shitpost below the best of your abilities, I would have given you a good probe to remind you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Admiralty Flag posted:

Post in the Dune thread? I'm not in the mood.

-- You post when the need arises, no matter the mood! Mood's a thing for 4Chan or carrying printers.

Would you really have banned me, Gurney?

-- If you had made one shitpost below the best of your abilities, I would have given you a good probe to remind you.

ATOMICS level shitposting

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

But isn't that against the Great Goonvention? :ohdear:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Not if the post is used against the forums itself, and not the goons posting on the forums

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
The Shitpost Haderach, able to look into the one place goons dare not post (FYAD) after drinking the water of Shite'hulud

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
The Great Convention prevents me from using my House Shitposting

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

A smile painted Alia's generous lips, "Ah-h-h but you see? The trained Atreides house ferrets will thwart any attempt to assassinate me with animals."

Duncan Idaho frowned as he calculated the possible outcomes to this revelation, "But what will keep them from breeding out of control in the palace?"

"Why, the tigers will keep them in check, Duncan."

"Laza Tigers." corrected Ghanima

Ignoring the child, Duncan pressed, "And their numbers?"

Alia waved away all concerns, "The sandworms will eat the tigers, Duncan."

"But then the palace will be overrun with sandworms!" roared Duncan, karakul curls all in disarray. It pained him to see his love like this. The marks of possession were all about her.

"Why Duncan," she crooned baronishly, "The irreversible course of terraforming of Arrakis will kill all the sandworms."

He exhaled a breath, stepping backward, "Kull wahad..."

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Oh gently caress, someone figured out how to write like Frank Herbert. Now everyone will be doing it! :ohdear:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If you find a copy of Doon, grab it because it's legit hilarious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

If you find a copy of Doon, grab it because it's legit hilarious.

It's funnier than Bored of the Rings, which is a high bar to clear.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

mllaneza posted:

It's funnier than Bored of the Rings, which is a high bar to clear.

That extract of an exchange between the Duke and the Thufir stand-in that someone posted upthread made me lose it

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Vlex posted:

That extract of an exchange between the Duke and the Thufir stand-in that someone posted upthread made me lose it

Same.

"I mean, man, what do you mean 'and if'? Unless you mean what I think you mean - in which case, I caution you, you play a dangerous game."

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Used copies on amazon are pretty decently priced, just ordered one of those.

And my fifth or sixth copy of Dune, I leant another copy out that I will never get back now. I have to stop doing that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And my fifth or sixth copy of Dune, I leant another copy out that I will never get back now. I have to stop doing that.

Just buy the Folio Society version and you'll never let another human being touch, much less borrow it.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just buy the Folio Society version and you'll never let another human being touch, much less borrow it.

I looked at the pictures in my copy and then reverently put it on the shelf.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Ramc posted:

A smile painted Alia's generous lips, "Ah-h-h but you see? The trained Atreides house ferrets will thwart any attempt to assassinate me with animals."

Duncan Idaho frowned as he calculated the possible outcomes to this revelation, "But what will keep them from breeding out of control in the palace?"

"Why, the tigers will keep them in check, Duncan."

"Laza Tigers." corrected Ghanima

Ignoring the child, Duncan pressed, "And their numbers?"

Alia waved away all concerns, "The sandworms will eat the tigers, Duncan."

"But then the palace will be overrun with sandworms!" roared Duncan, karakul curls all in disarray. It pained him to see his love like this. The marks of possession were all about her.

"Why Duncan," she crooned baronishly, "The irreversible course of terraforming of Arrakis will kill all the sandworms."

He exhaled a breath, stepping backward, "Kull wahad..."

Underrated

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
A few days ago I reread The Tactful Saboteur and I love all the weird aliens that he comes up with. Some authors make aliens humanoid for the most part, but Frank's get weirder and weirder the longer the story goes. By the Dosadi Experiment, the Consentiency has so many glimpses into aliens and their cultures that they can each be a plot device in themselves. I especially like the half-vegetable guys who basically act as transdimentional switchboards and somewhat detest other creatures for always plonking them down on desks to make their calls.

"What's up, Xxzillikloporopp?"
"Not much, these loving monkeys just plonked me on a desk again. Is Mr. Jones around?"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
anyone have the extremely rad vid of muadibs running thru sand at night? The kangaroo rats? i'm p sure it was in this thread and I have need of it now

e: search is not assisting me in this

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 16, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

phasmid posted:

A few days ago I reread The Tactful Saboteur and I love all the weird aliens that he comes up with. Some authors make aliens humanoid for the most part, but Frank's get weirder and weirder the longer the story goes. By the Dosadi Experiment, the Consentiency has so many glimpses into aliens and their cultures that they can each be a plot device in themselves. I especially like the half-vegetable guys who basically act as transdimentional switchboards and somewhat detest other creatures for always plonking them down on desks to make their calls.

"What's up, Xxzillikloporopp?"
"Not much, these loving monkeys just plonked me on a desk again. Is Mr. Jones around?"

I haven't looked at any non-Dune work of Frank Herbert's, but interesting that he went from a sci-fi universe conspicuously without any aliens but distinct cultures of humans, to one with various extremely different species of aliens. (or vice versa)

You don't often see much sci-fi where all the aliens are that alien. Closest I can think of is Animorphs, extra unusually for a YA series, where the MOST human-like aliens are shapeshifting mouthless scorpion-tailed centaurs.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

anyone have the extremely rad vid of muadibs running thru sand at night? The kangaroo rats? i'm p sure it was in this thread and I have need of it now

e: search is not assisting me in this

https://i.imgur.com/9z9NdUa.gifv

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

instructor of bois

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't looked at any non-Dune work of Frank Herbert's, but interesting that he went from a sci-fi universe conspicuously without any aliens but distinct cultures of humans, to one with various extremely different species of aliens. (or vice versa)

You don't often see much sci-fi where all the aliens are that alien. Closest I can think of is Animorphs, extra unusually for a YA series, where the MOST human-like aliens are shapeshifting mouthless scorpion-tailed centaurs.

If you like his writing, you might like his non-Dune stuff too. Soul Catcher, White Plague, Godmakers were all really interesting reads. Some of 'em are pretty pulpy, but I enjoy that personally. My favorite has to be Hellstrom's Hive.

So many people tell me that they liked Animorphs as kids and they were all people I liked and whose opinions I respected. Contrarian young me though didn't like any books they sold at book fairs, because anything coming from school is just a reminder of school. Looking back, I bet I would have liked them.

That's a handsome boy.

(I've been corrected, it is apparently a girl)

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

phasmid posted:

If you like his writing, you might like his non-Dune stuff too. Soul Catcher, White Plague, Godmakers were all really interesting reads. Some of 'em are pretty pulpy, but I enjoy that personally. My favorite has to be Hellstrom's Hive.

So many people tell me that they liked Animorphs as kids and they were all people I liked and whose opinions I respected. Contrarian young me though didn't like any books they sold at book fairs, because anything coming from school is just a reminder of school. Looking back, I bet I would have liked them.

That's a handsome boy.

(I've been corrected, it is apparently a girl)

A few years ago I was told that animorphs turned really dark and good at the end. I read 20 or so as a kid, and it was light reading I could pick up at any time so I blasted through in about a week. The middle books are bad (including the infamous almost retconed Cassie book) but the last 10 are actually quite mature the heroes giving morphing to a bunch of disabled kids and use them as shock troops and also quite deep as they go into the lasting effects of waging a guerilla war for 5 years or so as teenagers. In the end most of the heroes end up completely hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

exmachina posted:

A few years ago I was told that animorphs turned really dark and good at the end. I read 20 or so as a kid, and it was light reading I could pick up at any time so I blasted through in about a week. The middle books are bad (including the infamous almost retconed Cassie book) but the last 10 are actually quite mature the heroes giving morphing to a bunch of disabled kids and use them as shock troops and also quite deep as they go into the lasting effects of waging a guerilla war for 5 years or so as teenagers. In the end most of the heroes end up completely hosed up.

I fell off them at around book 30 (my growing dislike of them back in the day seemed to kick in around when it went to all ghostwriters all the time) and heard the same thing. It was not a direction I expected the fun sci-fi romp I remembered going in, then I remembered even the early books were pretty hosed up, with aliens that were so hungry all the time they’d eat themselves and young teenagers torturing an alien over three days as it starved to death.