Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Evil Mastermind posted:

Right now I'm sort of working on an all-magic pack with no village generation (but it does have Minecolonies), no mods that add tons of new ores, and no Tinkers-style tool mods. So far I have it based around Astral Sorcery, Nature's Aura, and Arcane Archives (a new-ish storage mod).

I still feel like I could add more, though. Like a decent extra gear mod, or something that adds spells. But then that just makes me worried about scope creep.

Take a look at Wizardry, maybe? It depends on if what you have now is really missing anything.

More armor options doesn't hurt, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

Yeah, for the advanced you need those gas lanterns otherwise it's just vanilla speed but with the lanterns it's faster.
The speed on the flawless greenhouse is insane, it has a CO2 generator part you add in and feed coal.

I filled up my Advanced greenhouse with CO2 and it can't keep up with four endoflames. Something may have been nerfed since you played.

I guess I'll try the Flawless greenhouse next since it's basically free now that I have a diamond tree.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

dragonshardz posted:

Having taken a couple good swings at a building a modpack with a direction, the first takeaway (as I work on designs for another that's even more tightly focused and directed) is that it's hard as gently caress to do, and then maintain. There's really a ton of effort that goes into figuring out your design direction, then finding mods that make it possible to do, and configuring/tweaking those mods to serve your purpose.

Even something as conceptually simple as configuring a competitor mod to Spice of Life (it's called Nutrition and is even more carrot-before-stick than SoL:CE) so that every food provided by Harvestcraft contributes to a selection of positive effects (eat lots of Spicy food to gain native Fire Resistance!) is a huge loving undertaking solo. And once you start to assemble a team to spread out the work, then you have to manage that team yourself, which is...WORK.

Making modpacks is work. Even the most asinine, IT'S SO HARDCORE EXPERT Skyblock hellfuck has just a shitload of work that goes into it.

This isn't to say the work justifies or excuses the utter lack of direction and fun; what I'm getting at is that even making a lovely modpack needs a lot of work and attention. Making a good modpack is more work on top of that, and making one that's truly great is INSANE.

I’m well aware of that, and it doesn’t surprise me that most modpacks don’t have enough capacity to put this work in.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
This is part of the reason I'm so clearly in love with GT:New Horizons. The sheer amount of work that has gone into that pack really shows. The sheer amount of work to actually play it also shows.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Looks like Seablock: Rustic Waters is aiming for a Friday release and has already undergone a lot of beta testing. Here's hoping it lives up to its hype.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This is part of the reason I'm so clearly in love with GT:New Horizons. The sheer amount of work that has gone into that pack really shows. The sheer amount of work to actually play it also shows.

The question I have to ask here is whether or not it's fun. If playing it feels like work, that's an example of a modpack whose assembler has their head far, far, far up their own rear end chasing HARDCORE EXPERTS ONLY DIFFICULTY instead of trying to design a fun and interesting experience.

Crafting bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft a thing is a clear indicator of someone who believes in balance by tedium and doesn't actually consider whether the eighteen billion steps to make a clay pot is fun more than once.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Craft bits to the n sounds like every skyblock and most progression packs. Crafting is actually pretty boring.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Looks like Seablock: Rustic Waters is aiming for a Friday release and has already undergone a lot of beta testing. Here's hoping it lives up to its hype.

If anything, I'll give it a shot to try out better diving. That looks amazing.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Vib Rib posted:

Heres a promo pic he made up.
And a quote of some mods in it
"Embers, Immersive Engineering, and Magneticraft flush out the steampunk feel in the early to mid game... Agricraft, Harvestcraft, Environmental Tech, Thermal Everything, Refined Storage, Extreme Reactors, and Ender IO handle mid to late; though I am doing a lot of custom textures to help them feel more steampunk. I may still add in a few mods, but I am trying to keep the mod count under 175 so it's easier on lower end PCs and servers. There are also a fair number of "non-big name" mods that give the pack a lot of flavor... I really want a unique experience."

I'm not really sure I can handle a pack with that many mods on my laptop though. Luckily I may be finally getting a real computer again at least by black friday.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
5x5(or bigger) recipes with reasonable ingredients is something I've always liked.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Started playing PO3, and uh what the gently caress is this armor crafting poo poo? Why do I need 14 loving prerequisites for loving iron armor and why does it go backwards (lower durability) so much?

edit: ok I guess there's quite a few alternates that can be crafted directly. lapis, steel, etc. just can't wear bog standard crap anymore

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 1, 2019

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
man rustic waters looks like its going to be great, can't wait to give it a shot

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Thanks for the Blightfall recommendation. I'm back at minecraft after quite a few years away and this is right up my alley.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

Craft bits to the n sounds like every skyblock and most progression packs. Crafting is actually pretty boring.

Which is why it's lovely tedium and I try to not play modpacks with it! :sun:

McFrugal posted:

5x5(or bigger) recipes with reasonable ingredients is something I've always liked.

A bigger crafting table and recipes (that integrates with JEI) sounds imminently more interesting than layers of 3x3 crafting.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

OgNar posted:

Heres a promo pic he made up.
And a quote of some mods in it
"Embers, Immersive Engineering, and Magneticraft flush out the steampunk feel in the early to mid game... Agricraft, Harvestcraft, Environmental Tech, Thermal Everything, Refined Storage, Extreme Reactors, and Ender IO handle mid to late; though I am doing a lot of custom textures to help them feel more steampunk. I may still add in a few mods, but I am trying to keep the mod count under 175 so it's easier on lower end PCs and servers. There are also a fair number of "non-big name" mods that give the pack a lot of flavor... I really want a unique experience."

I'm not really sure I can handle a pack with that many mods on my laptop though. Luckily I may be finally getting a real computer again at least by black friday.

Got to EMBERS and said, nope. sorry :/ lol

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Yeah, Embers is one of the mods that I thoroughly dislike. It has all of the jankiness of the Thaumcraft pipes of yore without any of the good stuff.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So hey if anyone wants a perfect example of a pack with no guidance and no design that falls apart, try Chemical Exchange! And because I suffered through it, you have to suffer through my long post about how much it sucked, and how dumb I am for playing as long as I did.

It starts off with a pretty interesting premise: With an Alchemistry-heavy progression, you're given the means to construct and deconstruct all kinds of blocks from elements. You're also given ProjectE. And here's the crux of the pack: ProjectE can only be used to break down or duplicate elements, and much of progression is based on unlocking new elements and adding them to your lexicon. So you can't use your millions of EMC to make more dirt, but you could duplicate the necessary elements that go into it, then combine the molecules and finally assemble the dirt. In theory this sounded really interesting! In practice it was just sort of an extra step between recreating most things, because... I mean, if you can dupe the things that make it, why can't you dupe it directly? All you're doing is adding a very minor power requirement (in the form of running the chemical assembler) and forcing me to sit through a boring UI making stacks and stacks of kaolinite because you don't want me to just have clay. Even though I already have clay. Even though I have millions of EMC. Even though I have ridiculous energy gen.
It might've been interesting if more convenient, faster forms of resource generation were available later, but nope, even at the very endgame you'll still be manually assembling clay and dirt from molecules, atom by atom. The machines have no storage, but hoppers and the like are too slow, so you either have to build up a big infrastructure or just shift-click stack after stack as it processes 8 at a time. A huge chunk of my playthrough was spent just staring at the interface and crafting up 16+ stacks of coal here or 32 stacks of silicon dioxide there.

But the worst was yet to come! Early progress is fairly quick and easy, even fun. It's encouraging. Eventually you slow down a lot when you hit Nuclearcraft stuff. Then it hits a complete loving wall when it says "okay make a nuclearcraft fission reactor and turn in Uranium". There's no instructions, no guide, and the previous quest even says "you should make a hazmat suit because we left the optional radiation setting turned on". The reactor is dozens of times more expensive than anything you've had to make yet, and the hazmat suit (which you don't actually need, and thankfully can skip) is somehow several times worse than that. When you finally make the reactor, you have to power it and just leave it, because you're not after the power it creates but its byproducts, namely uranium, plutonium, etc. Plutonium is your gateway to later ProjectE content (and I was interested to see that this pack even had ProjectEX, which is designed around massive EMC generation and usage). With some effort and a lot of waiting for decay, I finally got and turned in plutonium.

...Then it wanted Americium.

Basically, the mod suddenly and out of nowhere changed gears to a hard Nuclearcraft progression. I cheated my way through the Americium quest, out of curiosity, and sure enough, it wanted me to go through more or less the entire Nuclearcraft processing chain. This involves breaking down uranium over and over (because for some reason you can't use your duplicated elemental plutonium, americium, etc from ProjectE to actually make the Nuclearcraft items you need!) and each time the depleted fuel will give you tiny amounts of the next isotope you need. Then you turn those into fuel, stuff them in your reactor, and wait. Now you have a tiny amount of the next type! Not enough to progress, so go all the way back to uranium, and repeat.

Now, you can build bigger, better reactors to spend fuel more quickly, and speed this up. But before I sank any more resources into it, I wanted to check where it was leading me. And in the biggest wet fart ending I could imagine, the quest asking you to turn in the final isotope at the end of the chain just goes "Congrats! You've beaten the pack!"
That's it.
I mentioned ProjectE and ProjectEX, which (having been locked by plutonium) branch off into more quests and more progress at the early stages of Nuclearcraft. But there's nothing there. EX never gets used. There's an entire questline for building up EMC to ridiculous levels, but you can't duplicate red matter or any of the component parts with EMC because that only works with elements! So all you're going to be doing is crafting potentially tens of thousands of stacks of coal, to manually build your way up from alchemical coal to the ridiculous rainbow-colored endgame matters. And at the end of that tree? Fission/fusion multiblock controllers that let you easily achieve other elements. Which you won't need for anything anyway. There's not even a note or message at the end, just more multiblocks.
:psyduck:
I wish I'd cheated through earlier just to see, but I've never been happier to bail on a modpack just before the endgame. Good loving god.

dragonshardz posted:

A bigger crafting table and recipes (that integrates with JEI) sounds imminently more interesting than layers of 3x3 crafting.
Honestly I wish this game had Terraria-style crafting where you weren't limited to 9 spaces. Just give me a list of the raw ingredients I need and hand me the final product.
The problem with 5x5 grids, etc, is that they rarely just use the space to ask fewer subcomponents of you. If anything, they ask more, and then the subcomponents can be more complex! Like, take those servos in the picture: they could easily be a 5x5 recipe each, themselves. And plates, while not typically expensive, are a subcomponent when 2 ingots could easily do. If that doesn't result in a high enough number of required ingredients, just swap one to a block!
Unless a pack is built around managing this (e.g. RS/AE focus with lots of allowances) they're just busywork.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

Got to EMBERS and said, nope. sorry :/ lol

Didn't Embers get rebooted by someone else when the original guy had his last big drama meltdown?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Chemical Exchange

There aren't any improved hoppers in the pack, or pipes? Could you use multiple hoppers, or do the blocks only accept items from the top?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Didn't Embers get rebooted by someone else when the original guy had his last big drama meltdown?

Yeah, someone took it upon themselves to maintain it and improve it a bit. The in-game manual now has the opulent luxury of more than one page for documentation, and it's even used occasionally! There might have been some other minor improvements, too, but I can't remember.

That being said, it's a toss up as to which version the pack it will have.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kind of tangential. I have the max memory size set to ~10gb, but it doesn't seem to use more than about ~5400 megs, at least according to the loading screen. Is that normal?

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

dragonshardz posted:

The question I have to ask here is whether or not it's fun. If playing it feels like work, that's an example of a modpack whose assembler has their head far, far, far up their own rear end chasing HARDCORE EXPERTS ONLY DIFFICULTY instead of trying to design a fun and interesting experience.

Crafting bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft bits to craft a thing is a clear indicator of someone who believes in balance by tedium and doesn't actually consider whether the eighteen billion steps to make a clay pot is fun more than once.

I've gone back to GTNH a few times. One thing I did not get the first few times I tried it is that the bitty bit crafting is a problem that is meant to be solved more elegantly than just bashing through it on a tinkers crafting table.As an example I think you need about 2 stacks of pumps to get through the low voltage age. Trying to make them as you need them (which I tried in previous runs) made me go crazy. figure out what your mats cost will be, and then start cranking those materials out and make yourself the amount of pumps you think you'll need. I find that setting tangible goals like "make 2 stacks of pumps" leads into thinking about how I ought to upgrade my infrastructure (man, this is going to require a crapload of steel plates for the machine casings, I better making a bending machine so I can do it cheaper/set a stack of steel in and come back later... also I better get another blast furnace online to increase my steel production... etc) A few caveats: I have no qualms about playing on peaceful mode sometimes (I frequently will open to network and let things cook while I do work/watch shows while tabbed out), I cheated in an ore scanner in the beginning, and I have a partner who frequently joins the world (it is great to have someone to play minecraft with!)

GTNH has pushed me to setup production lines and automate functions that I've never done in another modpack. For whatever reason, I find it quite rewarding as well. To build off the above example, once I had my stack of pumps, I was able to automate the removal of creosote from my coke ovens and direct it to a huge storage tank - never having to bucket out the fluid again felt AMAZING. A few sessions later once I had made a set of conveyor belts, I automated the insertion of wood to the oven from a chest which store wood. At some point, once I get into Steve's carts, I'll go ahead and automate the harvesting of the wood and charcoal production should be pretty much just always happening the background. It's great!

On the other hand, the loading time is ridiculous. and then the song that plays when it finally loads... yee.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Pollyanna posted:

Kind of tangential. I have the max memory size set to ~10gb, but it doesn't seem to use more than about ~5400 megs, at least according to the loading screen. Is that normal?

Don't allocate that much RAM, it's bad for Java.

Also I really wish I could get this ADHD of mine sorted out so I can put actual effort into the pack I've been sporadically working on. It started out as 'basically Regrowth but on 1.12' but that feels too generic and I want a similar feel but with more of a story to what's going on and some unique twists. As was previously mentioned, that takes a lot of loving work.

Planning progression is hard, writing quests is hard, building a good world is hard, doing crafttweaker code nonsense is hard. The surfaces I bang my head against when something just doesn't work are also typically hard. Also, having what seems like a really cool idea that works great until you realise it utterly breaks something sucks. Can't have Hardcore Darkness making nights look cool without destroying underwater visibility, for example. :negative:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've seen a lot of people recommending Project Ozone 2, even well after 3's release. Having not played it, was PO3 so bad as to push people back to 2?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

The problem with 5x5 grids, etc, is that they rarely just use the space to ask fewer subcomponents of you. If anything, they ask more, and then the subcomponents can be more complex! Like, take those servos in the picture: they could easily be a 5x5 recipe each, themselves. And plates, while not typically expensive, are a subcomponent when 2 ingots could easily do. If that doesn't result in a high enough number of required ingredients, just swap one to a block!
Unless a pack is built around managing this (e.g. RS/AE focus with lots of allowances) they're just busywork.

It would definitely have to be done with a careful hand. The thought I had was to allow for requesting more base components for a given recipe, or something like that. "Craft parts" times n repetitions to make one thing isn't all that fun.

Bann posted:

GTNH, etc.

Have you tried Factorio or Satisfactory? Sounds like they'd be right up your alley.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

beefart posted:

I was really enjoying Antimatter Chemistry and it just nosedived into unplayable. Made a bunch of manyullyn armor, demonic sword, then went to Atum for the first time. I spawned under an assassin poisoning me and then had to mow through him and enough other guys between the portal and the nearest pyramid to give me 2 full stacks of lootboxes. My armor and sword are hosed to hell and now I have to deal with unavoidable fire and poison traps before fighting an absurdly powerful boss.

Is there a way to fix the ridiculous spawn rate or am I just going to have to shelve this poo poo?

I used the slime sling, slime boots and glider to skip all the mobs. Making an absurd crossbow out of plastic also helps. You can cast sharpening kits to allow you to repair your sword in the field. Don't forget about potions - fire resistance makes the maze part of the pyramid a lot less painful (although it still sucks massively).

Once you've killed a couple of pharaohs the only things you need from Atum are the palm trees and a ton of sand, so you won't spend much more time there (at least as far as I've got in the pack).

Pollyanna posted:

Antimatter Chemistry went from SpaceChem 101 to “STORM THE NETHER AND PILLAGE THE PIGMEN’S LOOT” so it just confuses the gently caress out of me. What are you, modpack?

The theme of Antimatter Chemistry seems to be "do this weird task to bootstrap yourself into post scarcity of a material". You need enough zombie flesh to break down for protein to ... do something I forget, which gives you the drop of evil, which provides infinite zombie flesh. The coloured antimatter all follows the same theme - you always get back a surplus of whatever you used to craft it. I'm currently not playing it while I decide what's the least tedious way to kill a couple of hundred blazes.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Bann posted:

I've gone back to GTNH a few times. One thing I did not get the first few times I tried it is that the bitty bit crafting is a problem that is meant to be solved more elegantly than just bashing through it on a tinkers crafting table.As an example I think you need about 2 stacks of pumps to get through the low voltage age. Trying to make them as you need them (which I tried in previous runs) made me go crazy. figure out what your mats cost will be, and then start cranking those materials out and make yourself the amount of pumps you think you'll need. I find that setting tangible goals like "make 2 stacks of pumps" leads into thinking about how I ought to upgrade my infrastructure (man, this is going to require a crapload of steel plates for the machine casings, I better making a bending machine so I can do it cheaper/set a stack of steel in and come back later... also I better get another blast furnace online to increase my steel production... etc) A few caveats: I have no qualms about playing on peaceful mode sometimes (I frequently will open to network and let things cook while I do work/watch shows while tabbed out), I cheated in an ore scanner in the beginning, and I have a partner who frequently joins the world (it is great to have someone to play minecraft with!)

GTNH has pushed me to setup production lines and automate functions that I've never done in another modpack. For whatever reason, I find it quite rewarding as well. To build off the above example, once I had my stack of pumps, I was able to automate the removal of creosote from my coke ovens and direct it to a huge storage tank - never having to bucket out the fluid again felt AMAZING. A few sessions later once I had made a set of conveyor belts, I automated the insertion of wood to the oven from a chest which store wood. At some point, once I get into Steve's carts, I'll go ahead and automate the harvesting of the wood and charcoal production should be pretty much just always happening the background. It's great!

On the other hand, the loading time is ridiculous. and then the song that plays when it finally loads... yee.

The bitty crafting is also alleviated by those workbenches that store 9 recipes and have a chest worth of storage. You make a handful of them and label them like "LV components" or "Wood/bronze pipes" and keep them stocked. Like a super low tech version of AE autocrafting.

What I love about GT:NH is how it's still kind of a sandbox, except with a million things to aim towards doing besides "cool base" and "maybe kill the ender dragon". There's a clear progression up the tiers of voltage to unlock different mods (Thaumcraft requires aluminum, a tier 3 material, while getting to the moon requires you to be completely through tier 4 and starting tier 5). While working your way through all the different machines and processes you discover what you need and have to create a solution to that need. Power is always looking to be ramped up so you can run more processing machines concurrently. Your base becomes a sprawling mess of machines and turbines, pipes and drawers, giant multiblocks and automated farms.

Also I guess the IC2 crops are super expanded and are like the new bees, if you like that sort of thing.

The load times are really awful though (and i have music turned off because of the stupid menu screen song). Gregtech has like 20 intermediate items and a hundred materials so it's gotta create and register those 20k components every time you load even if you'll never have any reason to make or use a plutonium screw or a rose gold axe head. I don't know if it's any better with an SSD but it's like 12 minutes for me.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I tried to play GTNH, but the massive input lag, 5 seconds or more, on every letter press when filtering in NEI made me shelve it real quick.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I tried to play GTNH, but the massive input lag, 5 seconds or more, on every letter press when filtering in NEI made me shelve it real quick.

There's a fix for this where you disable most of the random components and other garbage which takes out like 75% of the total pages in NEI. Naturally I forget how to do it, but it does exist.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A crafting table where I can give it an explicit list of recipes and say “craft these when I tell you to” while pulling from a mod-specific chest might help. Or a crafting table where I tell it to make X recipe and it expands the recipe out to the base materials required, so that I don’t need to rabbithole.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also a simplified version of grout that doesn’t require me to (possibly manually) dig out an entire riverbed. If I ever have to make another loving smelter I will lose my poo poo, what a time waster.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Having completed about 60% of FTB: Interactions, I can definitely say that the way to unfuck how you play any gregtech pack is to batch craft common intermediate parts. If you make one-off runs of every part every time you need it, you will go insane.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
craft everything once, if it ever shows up again it needs its own recipe in whatever autocrafting thing you're using imo

if autocrafting still doesn't exists 2-3 hours into a modpack it's a trashpack :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Truga posted:

craft everything once, if it ever shows up again it needs its own recipe in whatever autocrafting thing you're using imo

if autocrafting still doesn't exists 2-3 hours into a modpack it's a trashpack :v:

I shouldn’t need autocrafting at all in a pack, since the entire point of its existence is tedium and repetition. If you’re playing a game and find yourself having to autocraft on a regular basis, something has gone wrong.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In fact I might even say that if you make one thing, just make a stack or two of it. Helps you use up all that poo poo you mine.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I've seen a lot of people recommending Project Ozone 2, even well after 3's release. Having not played it, was PO3 so bad as to push people back to 2?

I imagine it's that people were expecting more from it.

My biggest gripe with it, is it doesn't add anything to the equation. PO2 seemed to have...something. It's difficult to quantify. Maybe it was the fact it had three difficulties.

In PO3s case, it's basically just PO2 but newer.

One drawback and something EVERYONE finds a workaround for is the Broken Wings mod used in Erebus and Twilight Forest. Great mods in their hayday, but in current times almost everyone has played through them. Multiple times! So to try to push people to move through them at a slower pace, really puts people off.

I was actually really bummed to see these two mods being used, as they're so played out. Having other dimensions and some adventure aspects is great! In that vein, if they used the Between Lands instead, it would have possibly helped the pack not feel so...stale.

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 2, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's dumb as hell to put that flight ability in that's expensive enough that it takes a little bit of work to get and then have it just not work in those places

it felt extra egregious in erebus since it wasn't like there were dungeons that flight broke like in the twilight forest

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Every modpack should come with Hooked for transportation / building purposes. :colbert:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I think jetpacks worked fine for flight in PO3, even in the flight-neutered areas, except the jetpacks had really, really short flight times :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I want the old autocrafting table back. Let me put a recipe in a 3x3 crafting grid that stays there, and then let me pump in the requirements. The whole thing is made of wood and stone, takes no power, and crafting happens instantly.

Just give me back the wonder I felt playing 1.2.5 with my friends in 2010 and give me the little QoL things that now cost resources.

And give me a quick death if I turn into Rutibex